You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Flugel_Der_Freiheit

reward (dds for) teamplay.

26 comments in this topic

Players
207 posts
2,856 battles

passive spot? have xp and credits for your spotting damage.

lay smoke for a teammate? xp and credits.

teammate does damage inside your smoke? get a cut of their xp and credits in assistance damage.

spot torpedoes that an ally dodges? xp and credits for preventing damage.

simple enough idea. would be nice to be rewarded for helping my team rather than 12v12 where the 12 people are actually all alone but working vaguely towards the same goal

• Cool 2

Players
10,192 posts
11,985 battles
1 minute ago, Amaterasu_Regale said:

teammate does damage inside your smoke? get a cut of their xp and credits in assistance damage.

simple enough idea. would be nice to be rewarded for helping my team rather than 12v12 where the 12 people are actually all alone but working vaguely towards the same goal

Giving exp/credits simply for laying smoke would be quite easily exploitable. Also spotting torps alone gives exp/credit bonus as "potential damage"

That and you're asking a lot for a game famous for lack of teamplay.

• Funny 1

Players
207 posts
2,856 battles
1 minute ago, Panocek said:

Giving exp/credits simply for laying smoke would be quite easily exploitable. Also spotting torps alone gives exp/credit bonus as "potential damage"

That and you're asking a lot for a game famous for lack of teamplay.

an ally has to enter it for you to get the bonus. 

[CATS]
Players
28,088 posts
14,885 battles
  • is rewarded, but we do not know how much
  • game cannot recognize if that is helpful or not
  • could work, but teammates shooting from behind smoke are ignored, maybe concealment needs to be the deciding factor
  • good idea
  • Cool 1

Players
10,192 posts
11,985 battles
1 minute ago, Amaterasu_Regale said:

an ally has to enter it for you to get the bonus. 

Doesn't stop you from farting around CV or camping BB to get the bonus.

Besides, on principle laying smoke is mostly rewarded, as you blind teammates who rely on your spotting, so you get paid for it anyway

Players
606 posts
8 minutes ago, Amaterasu_Regale said:

In general, I like the concepts

That said:

Spotting damage is 'supposed' to already be rewarded. No idea how much by though

Rewarding smoke for teammates could potentially be a nice idea, although sometimes it's used as a screen for the cruiser (normally) to actually sit behind rather than in the smoke, so might not be easy to judge/reward when it has been deployed effectively.

Damage from smoke? Maybe, although if spotting damage was 'buffed' this might not need rewarding separately too.

Spotting torpedos - yes, although better just rewarding that rather than the 'if an ally dodges'

Don't forget that good teamplay is inherently rewarded by the +50% bxp bonus on more frequent wins :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
3,386 posts
15,483 battles
8 minutes ago, GarrusBrutus said:

Isn't sinking the enemy team considered pretty decent team play? :Smile_trollface:

"Sincerely, your friendly neighborhood Asashio captain."

• Funny 2

[FJAKA]
Players
2,975 posts
477 battles

good sugestions, but some of them could be hard to execute.

just buff EXP and money from spot dmg + spoted ships

[OILUP]
Players
185 posts

The rewards for all ships are basically who farmed the most damage (sans victory). This has been plaguing the game since it's inception as there is no incentive to cooperate outside of getting more damage to farm if you steamroll the less coordinated randoms.

Players
6,058 posts
12,077 battles

reward (dds for) teamplay.

This has been suggested numerous times already, with well...limited impact :|

So I suggest to try something else: To punish destroyers for trying to not play the objective and reward doing damage less! :Smile_great:

This problem, which has existed for a longer while now, is caused by the babysitting of yoloing crybabies who demanded removal of DD citadel, fire duration nerf for all classes except BB (so including DD) and BB AP pen, and radar. And spotter plane not spotting torps anymore... and conceilment nerf for all classes except for DD of course...........   radar rework, the list is endless :Smile_sceptic:

And what do we see today? DD infested randoms which necessitated a soft cap limit on DDs at 4 max. So the only solution would be to start punishing bad DD behavior as rewarding good behavior is clearly not working and hasn't worked for multiple years now :Smile_facepalm:, right? :cap_popcorn:

I play DD and DD is the most OP class in the game (well ok, maybe excluding CV but CV seems more often a curse these days). And people are calling ME a BB main! Can you believe that? :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1

Players
6,058 posts
12,077 battles
4 minutes ago, nambr9 said:

All of this has been on WG ignore list for years now.

Even basic stuff like the laggy ui was ignored for a long while. And I don't understand why they didn't take something like this serious enough. When me and a coupel others mentioned this somewhere last year, it was simply not high enough on WG priority list and nothing happened for precious months.

And it's not only this. WG ignoring important stuff and bugs for months or longer is becoming a meme in itself and that's a shame as I still like this game. Kinda.

Sure, I need to create a batch file as it seems the only semi-reliable way to prevent WG from deleting my replays all the time and random stuff seems to keep breaking like ramming mechanics now. I mean what?

Players
906 posts
10,068 battles
9 hours ago, GarrusBrutus said:

Isn't sinking the enemy team considered pretty decent team play? :Smile_trollface:

Doing damage is rewarded, actually sinking ships seems to have no bearing on the game at all. 

Players
2,669 posts
21,581 battles

Developer Q&A on the recent CC summit in St Petersburg:

The question "Are you considering allocating more XP for team support activities like spotting?" was asked by Uocat in the context of evaluating the last Ranked Battle season, specifically carriers and the star-saving mechanics. But it of course applies to Randoms also.

Molodkovets (paraphrasing): "Back in the beginning, the team support activities did not account for any XP at all. So when we introduced them into the economy, to reward players for them, we really wanted them to have weight, but after lengthy discussions, we agreed that capping and damage should remain the two main activities because this works in most cases and for most players. It's what most players want to feel rewarded for. So it's not as if we are now going to rapidly increase the value of, for example, spotting damage by a whole lot. But regarding the star-saving mechanics in Ranked - that was introduced because of popular demand by the player base, and we chose to use base XP as a kind-of workable metric because the other metrics are even more disparate across the different ship classes. So there is certainly room for a slight adjustment but in all probability there will not be a fundamental change."

1:20:54 Flamu: "To elaborate, the algorithm that awards the base XP seems flawed in that it rewards mostly damage done and hardly anything else. You can have a huge impact on the battle in other ways like spotting, scouting etc but it is largely ignored in terms of the final base XP tally.

Molodkovets: (explains how the economy rewards relative damage, not absolute damage, which has no bearing on the issue at hand.)

1:22:04 Flamu: "Yes but have you considered reducing the focus on damage a bit and rewarding other aspects of Battleships gameplay? For example, reward damage done a bit less and reward potential damage a bit more? To encourage more active and better game play?"

Molodkovets: "Each of the classes do have different coefficients assigned to these support activities. For example, I think the battleships have an increased multiplier for tanking, while we cannot expect other ship classes to tank similar amounts, so their multiplier is lower. In any event, XP is awarded first and foremost for damage and capping, followed by lesser amounts for the different support activities, according to the classes' role in the game."

1:23:14 Flamu: Have you considered showing these explicitly on the scoreboard in order to encourage better game play?

Molodkovets: We have discussed many times if we should break down what exact amount of XP is earned for which concrete action in battle. Some other games do it. We have decided not to do it, for one because the number of such support activities is very large, each with different multipliers. Also, even after the battle is over, yet more factors are considered to the different ranking players. The idea is that when one player did extremely well, quite often it means that the players that did less well at least performed as 'damage piñatas' for him, with the enemy concentrating on these others, so the system adds a small additional bonus to those as well. It's not linear. It's much more complicated. And I would honestly love to see more feedback but it's really very difficult to break it all down. Therefore, up to know we have concentrated on ribbons and achievements as the measure of your actions in battle. And unfortunately I don't see this changing any time soon."

Players
3,431 posts
15 hours ago, Amaterasu_Regale said:

I quite like this idea

Supertester
317 posts
7,985 battles

Passive Spotting is definitly still not rewarded enough to see people using that in the means of playing. I understand what you mean because that would encourage also certain DD players to focus on certain tasks and not just sit at the back or run around the entire map etc....

So for me yes PAssive Spotting.

Laying smoke for teammates gets from me a heavy NO!

Simple answer to that is exploiting the system with smoke

you could just at the start of the game smoke everyone in your team and get a bunch of XP and Credits. Until you run out of smoke consumables and i think that would be not good. 

We would also have certain ships like mino etc.... that would take advantage of those situations.

and the rest is resonable but i think a bit complicated to add to the game since some people would consider damage done from your smoke is a little bit hard to detect.

Spotting torps will be unbalanced since then german DD's and everyone that has Hydro has a clear advantage on getting XP and Credits.

In general i think your first ideo is good but the rest a bit hard to implement into the game.

This is my personal opinion.

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
14,419 posts
20,495 battles
15 hours ago, ColonelPete said:

but we do not know how much

We do. It was explained in an official post somewhere and I'm too lazy to dig it up.

The value was something ludicrously low like 1/10th of exp your teammate gets for damage dealt and is split across multiple ships as soon as the enemy is spotted by them (which typically happens as they open fire).

Players
3,523 posts
14,236 battles

Apart from being in divisions team play has been dead for ages. All the rewards are for damage. That won’t change. It’s easier to just do DD work and not bother asking or expecting recognition or thanks.

Players
906 posts
10,068 battles
1 hour ago, Bear_Necessities said:

Apart from being in divisions team play has been dead for ages. All the rewards are for damage. That won’t change. It’s easier to just do DD work and not bother asking or expecting recognition or thanks.

BB players are generally too stupid to understand how other classes play so there is not a lot of support for anything that does not involve spotting or capping. 

BB "why did you leave the cap?"

Me "I was being radared and shot at by a Haragumo in smoke"

BB "Noob"

[NWP]
Players
2,991 posts
17,341 battles
53 minutes ago, That_Other_Nid said:

BB players are generally too stupid to understand how other classes play so there is not a lot of support for anything that does not involve spotting or capping. 

Sure, keep thinking that.

@FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor thx for transcript. Just shows that WG really thinks this playerbase is dumb "big damage numbers be dope" 

[RNSF]
Players
1,401 posts
15,829 battles

Oh, that thing again... Most of this stuff have been proposed several times... And WeeGee do not care. 

3 hours ago, 159Hunter said:

FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor thx for transcript. Just shows that WG really thinks this playerbase is dumb "big damage numbers be dope" 

And they are kind of right, since most of the player base actually gives hard earned cold cash for rather boring and frustrating, RNG mess that is given to them. 

Players
174 posts
Vor 23 Stunden, Amaterasu_Regale sagte:

1. is already rewarded directly and you have ingame and aftergame counters to show your effectiveness doing it.

2. is rewarded directly (see next point) and indirectly when your teammate gets less damage => lives longer => does more damage => more shared EXP for team

3. is already rewarded for the one(s) who spot(s) for your teammate inside the smoke (see 1.). Just make sure it's you spotting when you layed a smoke.

4. is already inderictly rewarded (see 2.)

How much EXP you get from which action is not published for a good reason (exploiting possibilities) - for every source of EXP.

[HANDS]
Players
268 posts
22,750 battles

All i did  here was stay alive( tier VIII dd in tier X CV game), 2 solo caps and landing some torps in some fat BBs:

Spoiler

1192754028_ddtier8.thumb.jpg.7293e8d8528f05d9e4cd42dad6487487.jpg

Before this game, i had one in witch i worked much harder, (classic mode with only 2 caps- so no capping points). i  killed enemy DD,  and 3 other ships (so 4 kills) and  i finished on 5th place like base xp. On 2nd place was a BB who camped all game on border, didnt help with anything,  he had 2 low  HP cruisers in his range and he wasnt shooting them- he was shooting on another BB who was full HP..of course we lost the game..