You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.

36 comments in this topic

Players
322 posts

EDIT: Proposal details changed to allow for different in-game currencies (basically either time or money)

A new concept: Flagship of the Fleet

WOWS ship development cycles are focused on expanding the NUMBER of ships, not on expanding the CUSTOMIZATION OPTIONS of ships that have been released. In other words: in WOWS ships are improved in terms of ship numbers but not in individual ship detail and depth of choices.

Once a ship has been released it stays as it is, it is only effected by nerfs/buffs but those are beyond the control of the player.

It is clear that by expanding the NUMBER of ships in the game money can be made. It is however possible to also make money by expanding the CUSTOMIZATION OPTIONS of the ships.

By that I do not (just) mean visual customization like camouflages and flags, but also customizations that effect the performance/rewards of the ships.

A good starting point for customization options that effect the performance/rewards of a ship which would have to be bought for money AND/OR SOME OTHER IN GAME CURRENCY (*) would be the concept of "Flagship of the Fleet".

Most of us playing WOWS probably have a favourite ship. That can be any ship in any class.

The concept of "Flagship of the Fleet" would allow a player, by spending X amount of golden doubloons AND/OR SOME OTHER IN GAME CURRENCY (*), to improve something about that ship from an initially limited number of improvement choices to keep it simple. Over time more options could be offered for golden doubloons AND/OR SOME OTHER IN GAME CURRENCY (*).

The first time selection of "Flagship of the Fleet" would be free of cost.

A player could only have ONE Flagship of the Fleet and if a player wants to designate another ship as Flagship of the Fleet he would have to do that by spending X amount of golden doubloons AND/OR SOME OTHER IN GAME CURRENCY (*). If the player wants to change the Flagship of the Fleet bonus he would have to spend golden doubloons AND/OR SOMETHING ELSE*.

For ideas as to what that something might be I opened this topic.

Suppose the concept of "Flagship of the Fleet" would be introduced what would you like to see?

Here are some of my ideas of the sort of choices that could be offered:

- Increase of the silver doubloon/free experience/experience of the ship by X%

- The ship earns X amount of coal/steel per match

- Add radar on the ship (only allowed on Tiers where they already exist)

- Add hydro acoustic search on the ship (only allowed on Tiers where they already exist)

- Add fighter/recon aircraft on the ship (only allowed on Tiers where they already exist)

- Increase of the weapon accuracy/damage of the ship/aircraft by X% and raising it one Tier

- Increase of the armour values/hit points of the ship/aircraft by X% and raising it one Tier

- Increase of the speed/acceleration/turning radius of the ship/aircraft by X%

- Increase of the consumables/repair of the ship by X%

- Increase of the chance of flood/fire/citadel by weapons of the ship/aircraft by X%

- Increase aircraft deck processing speed (regeneration) by X % (only for carriers)

- Decrease of the detection range of the ship/aircraft by X%

- Decrease of all characteristics of the ship by X % and decrease the Tier of the ship by one (two tiers in case of Carriers at Tier 6, 8 and 10 and not allowed for Tier 4 carriers)

Alternatively a bonus in one area could also be offset by a penalty in another area.

I think any increase in smoke duration/radius, radar range/radius, Flak and fighter numbers/duration would be too tricky to introduce because it would probably upset ship balance too much.

The "Flagship of the Fleet" bonus factors would not be active in Clan Battles.

If WOWS would implement the concept of "Flagship of the Fleet" what would you like to see and why?

(*) GOLDEN DOUBLOONS AND/OR SOME OTHER IN GAME CURRENCY: The "paying" could be done in any number of "currencies", for example: Coal/Free XP/Elite Commander XP/Silver Doubloons (Credits)/Golden Doubloons. For example two currencies could be allowed: Coal and Golden Doubloons. Coal translates into time, Golden Doubloons translates into real world money. Some have more of the former and some more of the latter, by allowing both payment options the "Flagship of the Fleet" would be available to players that have any one of those currencies (time/money).

EDIT: I have posted the most recent ideas/additions regarding the "Flagship of the Fleet" concept in a post in the "Naval Training Center" topic, as a suggestion concerning the "Naval Training Center" concept:

For convenience here is the "suggestion" text I posted in the "Naval Training Center" topic which further expands on the "Flagship of the Fleet" in conjunction with the "Naval Training Center":

Spoiler

Naval Training Center

The Good

• I approve of the concept of improving your "favourite ship".

• I approve of a 3-layer system that improves your "favourite" ship.

• I approve of a concept where you can improve your favourite ship by playing that ship.

The Bad

• I understand that some people "grind". But I do not. My time on this planet is too valuable to "grind". I just want to play the ships that I like and not waste time on ships that I do not like. If that means buying a premium ship then I will buy the premium ship. This "Naval Training Center" system seems to want to force me to "grind" ships that I am no interested in. If I do not "grind" then I seem to get weaker ships than those that do grind. That concept I do not approve of.

• It looks as if premium ships are downgraded compared to upgraded ships if they are not upgraded via this "grinding" system. For me as a paying customer it is not acceptable to see my premium ships weakened for no acceptable reason whatsoever by "buffing" the environment they operate in. I did not pay money for premium ships to see them downgraded due to an upgraded environment that can only be matched by "grinding" ships that I am not interested in. That concept I do not approve of.

• I am not interested in playing fantasy ships (meaning ships with no completed design or that were never built) that never existed and not interested in ships that were only brought to a level of readiness after late 1945 (like the Carrier MIDWAY for example). That means that I am not in the least interested in Tier 9 and 10 ships in general and in some national ship lines in particular that have mostly fantasy ships. This "Naval Training Center" system forces me to play Tier 9 and 10 ships several times over to have upgrades to keep my favourite ships competitive. That means this system is trying to force me to do something that I do not like, and thus will not do, to stay competitive. That is unacceptable, if forced to do so then I will play a game where this principle is not at work. That concept of playing a ship line to Tier 9 and 10 ships several times over to stay competitive is a concept I do not approve of.

Suggestions for improvement of this system:

• Allow players the option to get the upgrades for their favourite ship by playing that favourite ship X amount of times. That way it will not feel like a "grind" but just like playing the game as always, just with the added incentive that you will get upgrades simply for playing your favourite ship X amount of times. This "ginding" of ONLY your favourite ship could be allowed IN ADDITION to the "grind" through the lines system that was presented by WOWS today. I would prefer however to allow a player to improve any ship by playing THAT ship X amount of times. Time is precious, do not force players to play ships against their will to stay competitive.

• Introduce the "Flagship of the Fleet" concept that I have proposed on this forum IN COMBINATION with the "Naval Training Center" system.

So use this 3-layer bonus system from the "Naval Training Center":

Battleships

Level 1 2 3
Name Survivability Main and Auxiliary Armaments Consumable
Bonus +15% to hit points

-10% to size of the dispersion ellipse

+10% to secondary armament firing range

+10% to secondary armament accuracy

-10% to reload time of all consumables

+40% to action time of Damage Control Party

+1 charge of all consumables

Cruisers

Level 1 2 3
Name Survivability Main and Auxiliary Armaments Consumable
Bonus

+10% to hit points

-20% to rudder shift time

-15% to size of the dispersion ellipse

+10% to torpedo range

+10% to maximum damage of torpedo

-15% to reload time of consumables

+1 charge of all consumables

Destroyers

Level 1 2 3
Name Survivability Main and Auxiliary Armaments Main Armaments
Bonus

+10% to hit points

-10% to reload time of consumables

-20% to rudder shift time

-50% to the steering gears repair time

-50% to engine repair time

-10% to reload time torpedo tubes

-10% to reload time main battery

+10% to maximum damage of torpedo

+2% to chance of causing a fire

For the proposal that I made called "Flagship of the Fleet". I am sure that if you allow players to upgrade ONE SHIP like this for FREE, meaning their favourite ship as described in this topic, that they will be much more positive about the system than if you take EVERYTHING away from them by forcing them to "grind" for EVERY SINGLE ship. At least give the players ONE fully upgraded ship, called the "Flagship of the Fleet". The "Flagship of the Fleet" could be implemented as part of the "Naval Training Center" system, so the first upgraded ship the player would then get for "free". The player would get ONLY ONE ship upgraded for free in this manner.

Alternatively instead of only upgrading only one ship, the so-called "Flagship of the Fleet", a player could be allowed to upgrade ALL ships but ONLY if he plays those ships a lot in random battle matches. So a player could unlock NTC Upgrade Number 1 for THAT particular ship after playing X amount of random battle matches in THAT particular ship, NTC Upgrade Number 2 for THAT particular ship after playing Y amount of random battle matches in THAT particular ship and finally NTC Upgrade Number 3 for THAT particular ship after playing Z amount of random battle matches in THAT particular ship.

For example when NTC is introduced a player that plays 1,000 new random battle matches in NORTH CAROLINA gets NTC Upgrade Number 1, after 2,000 new random battle matches in NORTH CAROLINA gets NTC Upgrade Number 2 and after 3,000 new random battle matches in NORTH CAROLINA gets NTC Upgrade Number 3. But all those NTC Upgrades 1, 2 and 3 would be only for NORTH CAROLINA, if a player wants those NTC upgrades for another ship he would have to play 3,000 new random battle matches after NTC is introduced in that other ship as well.

In other words, the ship that you play a lot will be improved a lot. That rewards loyalty to individual ships and adds depth to individual ships but ONLY if a player plays an individual particular ship a lot. Tier 10 ships might be excluded from this NTC upgrade system since they already have Legendary Upgrades.

The "Flagship of the Fleet" might be combined with the idea of upgrading every ship IF you play that ship a lot in this manner:

- New "special" NTC "Flagship of the Fleet" 3-layer upgrades that can only be mounted on the "Flagship of the Fleet" (possibly excluding Tier 10 ships due to their Legendary upgrades). Those "special" NTC "Flagship of the Fleet" upgrades can only be unlocked by playing X, Y and Z amount of random battle matches in the "Flagship of the Fleet" (a ship chosen by the player, once every six months). If a player chooses another ship to become the "Flagship of the Fleet" then the new "special" 3-layer NTC "Flagship of the Fleet" upgrades of that ship will be automatically and without cost replaced by the new "normal" 3-layer NTC ship upgrades that are described below.

- New "normal" NTC 3-layer upgrades that can be mounted on any ship EXCEPT on the "Flagship of the Fleet" (and possible except on Tier 10 due to their Legendary upgrades). Those "normal" NTC upgrades can only be unlocked by playing X, Y and Z amount of random battle matches in any ship that the player owns. If a player chooses a ship with "normal" NTC upgrades to become the "Flagship of the Fleet" then the "normal" 3-layer NTC upgrades on that particular ship will be automatically and without cost replaced by the new "special" 3-layer NTC "Flagship of the Fleet" upgrades that are described above.

The "normal" NTC 3-layer upgrades could have a bonus and penalty and the "special" NTC 3-layer "Flagship of the Fleet" upgrades could only have a bonus (and thus no penalty).

Suggestion for the Factor X, Y and Z are 1,000 2,000 and 3,000 random battle matches respectively. In time new upgrades could be added for 4,000 and 5,000 random battle matches played in a ship.

This way players would "grind" and consequently only "upgrade" the ships they like to play or improve and not the other ships that they have no interest in playing and upgrading.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 3

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
4,046 posts
10 minutes ago, Widar_Thule said:

Increase of the silver doubloon/free experience/experience of the ship by X%

That's what camos and signals are for.

11 minutes ago, Widar_Thule said:

The ship earns X amount of coal/steel per match

Not a chance.

11 minutes ago, Widar_Thule said:

- Add hydro acoustic search on the ship (only allowed on Tiers where they already exist)

- Add fighter/recon aircraft on the ship (only allowed on Tiers where they already exist)

Imagine the laughing James Jonah Jameson gif

NO!

12 minutes ago, Widar_Thule said:

- Increase of the weapon accuracy/damage of the ship/aircraft by X% and raising it one Tier

- Increase of the armour values/hit points of the ship/aircraft by X% and raising it one Tier

Definatly not.

13 minutes ago, Widar_Thule said:

There are upgrades and signals for that.

We have a captain skill for that.

- Increase of the chance of flood/fire/citadel by weapons of the ship/aircraft by X%

For flood and fire we have signals and a captain skill.

Increasing chances for citadels is increasing accuracy or even improved penetration. See my reply in regards to accuracy and damage above.

15 minutes ago, Widar_Thule said:

Camos and captains skills for that.

15 minutes ago, Widar_Thule said:

- Decrease of all characteristics of the ship by X % and decrease the Tier of the ship by one (two tiers in case of Carriers at Tier 6, 8 and 10 and not allowed for Tier 4 carriers)

Maybe once hell freezes over.

That's the most pay to win suggestion I have seen on the forums in a long long time.

• Cool 8

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,848 posts
17,778 battles

I like the concept of a flagship, however not by creating personalized ships, but for e.g. standard battles. One (random) ship gets designated as the flag ship and every kill by the ship yields extra points, if it is killed your team will receive an extra penalty while the enemy team gets an extra boost or you will receive an XP & credits boost if fighting within 5km of the flagship. Something like this...

• Cool 2

Players
7,264 posts
245 battles

for a special pve game mode where you can become a boss or something sure, but those bonus on top of existing bonus would well unbalance the game, if it was more singleplayer oriented then i would agree.

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
51 minutes ago, Widar_Thule said:

52 minutes ago, Widar_Thule said:

I think any increase in smoke duration/radius, radar range/radius, Flak and fighter numbers/duration would be too tricky to introduce because it would probably upset ship balance too much.

"Changing the characteristics of radar might upset the balance, but adding radar to ships that have no radar is completely fine."

11/10 topkek reasoning right there...

• Funny 2

Players
628 posts
2,129 battles
40 minutes ago, Ubertron_X said:

I like the concept of a flagship, however not by creating personalized ships, but for e.g. standard battles. One (random) ship gets designated as the flag ship and every kill by the ship yields extra points, if it is killed your team will receive an extra penalty while the enemy team gets an extra boost or you will receive an XP & credits boost if fighting within 5km of the flagship. Something like this...

Somewhat like getting the black spot handed to you. Imagine the neg reps incoming if that player doesn't perform for the speshul people!

[BONUS]
[BONUS]
Beta Tester
3,077 posts
11,298 battles

Anything which enhances the ships performance in battle is a none starter.  I could imagine paying gold to make a ship into a de facto premium ship though.

• Cool 2

[BABBY]
Beta Tester
1,591 posts
1 hour ago, Ubertron_X said:

This is exactly what I expected this thread to be about.

But on the topic of flagships in the context of customisation options, ships ingame are still missing fore pole ensigns and officer pennants. Unlocking these could work like the Marks of Excellence in WOT.

• Cool 1

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,800 posts
6,857 battles

Balance comrade balance - when I first started reading this I thought, ok, what swaps will be available within the customisations.... eg. ok, I add radar, but, have to lose 50% of my AA/torps/turrets etc. But as I read on I realized that it was actually a pay to win customisation that you were suggesting. Nope, nope, nope, please nope. WG offer a pay to progress basis, and also on occasion 'a pay to buy an op ship', but what is OP one day may not be when the meta changes, so all good (cough) in the long run....

[CKBK]
Players
457 posts
25,143 battles
3 hours ago, Widar_Thule said:

- Increase aircraft deck processing speed (regeneration) by X % (only for carriers)

this is how you permanently kill the game.

• Cool 1

[-TPF-]
Players
4,268 posts
17,845 battles

I quite like the idea of a ship being given a small buff - something like the ones to RoF or health, given to captains like Yamamoto or Halsey - as a reward for being "best in class" amongst a team, or for getting Heroic achievements during the previous game with that ship. 

• Cool 1

[I-J-N]
Players
5,513 posts
4 hours ago, Hedgehog1963 said:

Anything which enhances the ships performance in battle is a none starter.  I could imagine paying gold to make a ship into a de facto premium ship though.

Signal *cough* flags? Yes, I'd like the option to 'premiumize' my favorite tech tree ships. How the price etc. would be worked out, would be a factor.

• Cool 1

[BONUS]
[BONUS]
Beta Tester
3,077 posts
11,298 battles
51 minutes ago, Karasu_Hidesuke said:

Signal *cough* flags? Yes, I'd like the option to 'premiumize' my favorite tech tree ships. How the price etc. would be worked out, would be a factor.

Signal flags which everyone can earn for free.  I've never had to pay for them.

[I-J-N]
Players
5,513 posts
4 minutes ago, Hedgehog1963 said:

Signal flags which everyone can earn for free.  I've never had to pay for them.

Me neither, so far at least. But it is something that you can theoretically buy that gives you an advantage.

Players
476 posts
8,914 battles
6 ore fa, Ubertron_X ha scritto:

This

But I don't dislike the original idea at all

• Cool 1

[TACHA]
Players
1,480 posts
16,598 battles

Pay to win - I wouldn't be keen to see more of that. I have to confess to keeping my signal flags topped up with credits - I only use the performance ones rather than the economic ones - and sell the ramming ones which I never use!! At last something I can use credits for!!

Quality Poster
2,376 posts
17,720 battles
7 hours ago, Widar_Thule said:

Suppose the concept of "Flagship of the Fleet" would be introduced what would you like to see?

These ideas are mostly fine, but it is unlikely that WeeGee would allow a regular ship to earn significant amount of steel or coal as they want to keep a tight grip on exclusive currencies.

:cap_fainting:

Mate, are you high? Radar on any ship? So you really want Harugumos, Henris, and Darings running around with radar consumables? What about a Kleber or a Kremlin with a radar suite? You can't think that's balanced.

Which would entirely break game balance. Take the German destroyers: weak ships with a very strong consumable. With some cash up front, all their competitive advantage is removed. Again, Harugumo with hydroacoustics. 

Again, could break the game. Take the legendary on the Republique. A Republique with the legendary has insane RPM but poor range, and with a recon aircraft that disadvantage is mostly gone. Not as stupidly broken as a radar on a smoke Minotaur of course, but still pretty busted.

So what happens when you put that on a tier X ship?

Something that INCREASES the turning radius of a ship :D. Seriously though, some ships have a sole weakness in their maneuverability and this would serve to unbalance them.

How do you increase the consumable of a ship by a % when the amount of consumables varies by ships AND by consumables?

They are captain skills and flags for that already.

Which again would break the game. You can't really think dropping a ship's gun, torpedo reload, and (aircraft) health by a few dozen percent is going to unbreak a Scharnhorst or Belfast at tier 6 or a Midway at tier 8.

[I-J-N]
Players
5,513 posts

Well.. if radar worked somewhat realistically.. having a radar on all high tier ships wouldn't be such a problem. Of course, ultimately that means we would really need proper size maps not like what we got now that were obviously sketched on napkins swiped from Lesta Studio canteen....

[TOXIC]
Players
4,786 posts
12,247 battles
12 minutes ago, dasCKD said:

Which again would break the game. You can't really think dropping a ship's gun, torpedo reload, and (aircraft) health by a few dozen percent is going to unbreak a Scharnhorst or Belfast at tier 6 or a Midway at tier 8.

Imagine t6 Akizuki :Smile_trollface:

[INTRO]
[INTRO]
Players
1,445 posts
18,281 battles

Though I like the idea of a "buff" of some sort that can only used on one ship at a time I ask myself the question: "Do we really need another way to let wallet-warriors reach T10 faster?"

[LEEUW]
Players
2,640 posts
10,321 battles

The balance in this game is as fragile as a virgin in a prison shower, any messing about with it will completely destroy it. Imagine having played this game for the amount of time that I did and being at that point where you know most of the characteristics of each ship only to be surprised by a frikkin radar harugumo, or a worcester with lower concealment, or a Montana with hydro, etc. Etc. 

Sounds good, doesnt work. 

If you want to implement something like this it can only be cosmetic. People can pay as much as they want to decorate their ship without getting an unfair advantage. 

• Cool 3

[I-J-N]
Players
5,513 posts
2 minutes ago, GarrusBrutus said:

The balance in this game is as fragile as a virgin in a prison shower, any messing about with it will completely destroy it. Imagine having played this game for the amount of time that I did and being at that point where you know most of the characteristics of each ship only to be surprised by a frikkin radar harugumo, or a worcester with lower concealment, or a Montana with hydro, etc. Etc. 

Sounds good, doesnt work. 

If you want to implement something like this it can only be cosmetic. People can pay as much as they want to decorate their ship without getting an unfair advantage. 

Personally, one of the few cosmetic things I'd be prepared to pay is a clan flag on our ships. Another one I'd be willing to pay for is proper, historically accurate camos. The Yamato is supposed to be Kure grey....

• Cool 1

Players
242 posts
4,008 battles
8 hours ago, Widar_Thule said:

A new concept: Flagship of the Fleet

WOWS ship development cycles are focused on expanding the NUMBER of ships, not on expanding the CUSTOMIZATION OPTIONS of ships that have been released. In other words: in WOWS ships are improved in terms of ship numbers but not in individual ship detail and depth of choices.

Once a ship has been released it stays as it is, it is only effected by nerfs/buffs but those are beyond the control of the player.

It is clear that by expanding the NUMBER of ships in the game money can be made. It is however possible to also make money by expanding the CUSTOMIZATION OPTIONS of the ships.

By that I do not (just) mean visual customization like camouflages and flags, but also customizations that effect the performance/rewards of the ships.

A good starting point for customization options that effect the performance/rewards of a ship which would have to be bought for money would be the concept of "Flagship of the Fleet".

Most of us playing WOWS probably have a favourite ship. That can be any ship in any class.

The concept of "Flagship of the Fleet" would allow a player, by spending X amount of golden doubloons, to improve something about that ship from an initially limited number of improvement choices to keep it simple. Over time more options could be offered for golden doubloons.

A player could only have ONE Flagship of the Fleet and if a player wants to designate another ship as Flagship of the Fleet he would have to do that by spending X amount of golden doubloons. If the player wants to change the Flagship of the Fleet bonus he would have to spend golden doubloons.

For ideas as to what that something might be I opened this topic.

Alternatively a bonus in one area could also be offset by a penalty in another area.

The "Flagship of the Fleet" bonus factors would not be active in Clan Battles.

If WOWS would implement the concept of "Flagship of the Fleet" what would you like to see and why?

I can understand why the love specific ship, but pay to buff, is pay to win, and this game allready have enough of this! 

Sorry bad idea I think