You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Puffin_

Finding your best ship ( for ranked )

38 comments in this topic

[HAMAR]
Players
450 posts

Is win rate the only indicator of what is your best ship in the game?

I got better win rate in some ships that I thought to be inferior to ships I have not as good win rate in. I am rather surprised by this

Out of T7 DDs I got the best win rate in  Mahan by far.

[JRM]
Players
7,068 posts

I guess PR should be the best indicator, however some ships are much better at ranoms, some at coop/ops and some at ranked, even more difference is for true competitive mods such as cw/tournaments best indicator is your success in them in a given mode

[F_M_B]
Beta Tester
1,045 posts
6,250 battles

I would say "Feeling" is the best indicator. If you a ship and you like it in that gamemode, it can not be that bad for you. But if you really dislike a ship, then you should try something else.

• Cool 4

[-TPF-]
Players
4,259 posts
17,811 battles

Mahan is a good choice for a destroyer, I think, Best torpedo battery at that tier with a good safe engagement range - you'll be able to make to put plenty of torps into smoke hiding Belfasts or brawling Scharnhorsts.... The thing you can't predict is how the games will play out. Take a ship you like out to begin with, and see if it fits the meta. 

[JRM]
Players
7,068 posts

Us dds were always quite decent in ranked as well as their pan-asian brothers where applicable...

If the ranked sprint ever starts that is ^^

Players
2,701 posts
21,714 battles
Vor 2 Stunden, GudmundurG sagte:

Ranked has different rules. I'm afraid your Randoms win rates will tell you little. You will come against lots of Belfasts, Flints... Jervis/Gadja... Shiratsuyu... the odd Haida... Scharnhorst... Lyon... Nelson... Duke of York. And against competitive players who know how to use them.

You need to figure out which of your Tier VII ships gives you and your team the best chance to counter people with OP Tier VII ships that know what they are doing and are there to win, not just farm mindless damage. And possibly brought a buddy.

• Cool 2

Players
2,701 posts
21,714 battles
Vor 33 Minuten, invicta2012 sagte:

Mahan is a good choice for a destroyer, I think, Best torpedo battery at that tier

lol

Zitat

with a good safe engagement range - you'll be able to make to put plenty of torps into smoke hiding Belfasts or brawling Scharnhorsts....

Well, as slow as Mahan torps are, you'll at least have a chance to turn the ship and fire the third launcher long before the other two spreads arrive in that smoke. But the "best torpedo battery" belongs to Shira, I should think. Also the stealthiest ship... at least as far as the tech tree goes <cough> Haida.

[-AP-]
Players
2,708 posts
6,532 battles
2 hours ago, GudmundurG said:

I got better win rate in some ships that I thought to be inferior to ships I have not as good win rate in. I am rather surprised by this

Out of T7 DDs I got the best win rate in  Mahan by far.

First check the winrates of all your t7 ships, then check their pr. After that just pick belfast.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 6

[-TPF-]
Players
4,259 posts
17,811 battles
12 minutes ago, FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor said:

But the "best torpedo battery" belongs to Shira, I should think.

TRB Shira is on my list of Tier VII DDs to try out, for sure, but she has 1.6k detection at 62 knots; Mahan's torps are stealthier and harder to dodge, 1.1k at 55, and it's easy to have twelve fish in the water while Shira is still reloading. Don't let the facts stop you holding opinions, mind. 

24 minutes ago, FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor said:

Also the stealthiest ship... at least as far as the tech tree goes <cough> Haida.

Haida is a great ship, no doubt but not quite as well balanced as other Tier VII DDs. It's a competitive tier.

48 minutes ago, FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor said:

Ranked has different rules. I'm afraid your Randoms win rates will tell you little. You will come against lots of Belfasts, Flints... Jervis/Gadja... Shiratsuyu... the odd Haida... Scharnhorst... Lyon... Nelson... Duke of York. And against competitive players who know how to use them.

Of course you'll never have seen these ships before in Random games.... and the people who rock up thinking their premiums and Tier X expertise are going to give them an E-Z ride might well find that arrogance foundering in front of a few broadsides from a Helena, Fiji or Sinop. Plebian silver ships of course, but still quite good. :)

• Funny 1

[H_FAN]
Players
2,664 posts
44,145 battles

Its also a question if you have a high end captain the ship, it helps - in sprint it is also if you play in divisions which ships are a good combination and/or if you play solo which ship are you least dependent on others. No CVs so AA monsters is irrelevant which should f.e. strengthen IJN ships f.e.. But I think besides some obbvius OP ships that everyone knows there are several due to which playstyle you have OP that are good and functional choices, all the new lines can make an interesting spread of lineups.

Also play a ship that you know inside and out is better than to take the best ship "on paper".

[UK-RN]
Players
102 posts
2,968 battles

I'm planning to take out HMS Nelson. A great ships with only weaknesses being bad AA and the citadel being large. However there will be no CVs so AA wont matter and also there are less players, so the chances of being flanked is reduced. 

I also think the Lazo could be the new wildcard in town. That thing is a going to be a great counter to the Sinop, by setting it on fire

• Cool 2

[-OOF-]
Beta Tester
2,175 posts
9,431 battles

Belfast, Flint.

One thing to consider when picking a BB, gun caliber. With fewer players odds are that you will face more angled opponents so beeing able to overmatch atleast bow and possibly deck on some ships become more important.

• Cool 1

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,139 posts
5,526 battles
19 minutes ago, ollonborre said:

Belfast, Flint.

One thing to consider when picking a BB, gun caliber. With fewer players odds are that you will face more angled opponents so beeing able to overmatch atleast bow and possibly deck on some ships become more important.

Good mobility won't hurt either, so..Ashitaka?

[THESO]
Players
4,412 posts
11,817 battles

Pick whatever makes you feel comfortable.

For me its premium ships at T7.

Sharny/Belfast/Lenny (and maybe Blyska as i seem unable to find a good reason to play her this days).

[THROW]
Players
865 posts
23,285 battles

It doesn't really matter. It's a rank sprint. A few games and you'll be done and it's got crap rewards anyway. 

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
2,989 posts
11,564 battles

Almost all recommendation are premiums, I wonder why ........

2lacfuy.jpg

But yeah, "something, something Premium" from me too ....

[SLAPP]
Players
1,431 posts
9,025 battles

i can put premium infront of shchors if u want ? :P

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
2,989 posts
11,564 battles
24 minutes ago, lameoll said:

i can put premium infront of shchors if u want ? :P

Its called Lazlo, and yeah I can see it being better - plane and 19pts captain alone.

I was thinking about Fiji - throwing my ship away to kill 1 or 2 DDs. Or Indianapolis, thowing my ship away to radar Belfast; but that would be actually premium again.

However in no way recommendations, just the 2 things coming to my mind when I hear T7 ranked -> DD hunting and fúck Payfast. 

[SLAPP]
Players
1,431 posts
9,025 battles

lazlo is premium chapayev :P  But ye :D 

[THESO]
Players
4,412 posts
11,817 battles

No point of playing silver ships over premium ... if nothing else for the bonuses alone.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
2,989 posts
11,564 battles
44 minutes ago, nambr9 said:

No point of playing silver ships over premium ... if nothing else for the bonuses alone.

Yeah but you would expect that at least some top picks are silver, especially if there is a premium version also available, because the earnings are not enough to make up for the shortcommings.

Instead you have the earnings, the better captains AND the ships are better themselves?

I mean I recognise that for example Mahan/Gaja/Jervis and so on have no premium counterpart. But why in the everlasting name of fúck would I play Fiji over Belfast? Or even NO over Indi (and that one can be considered garbage pick).

Recently while travelling and having some downtime I actually watched Flamu in ..... half a year? year? more?

Remember I picked this one because there were no mutings, and the title sounded promising.

But yeah, just to get the right scent of salt for ranked ......

(watch at least 2 minutes)

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/438841434?t=06h14m15s

(in case it doesnt work)

[THESO]
Players
4,412 posts
11,817 battles
31 minutes ago, havaduck said:

Yeah but you would expect that at least some top picks are silver, especially if there is a premium version also available, because the earnings are not enough to make up for the shortcommings.

Instead you have the earnings, the better captains AND the ships are better themselves?

I mean I recognise that for example Mahan/Gaja/Jervis and so on have no premium counterpart. But why in the everlasting name of fúck would I play Fiji over Belfast? Or even NO over Indi (and that one can be considered garbage pick).

Recently while travelling and having some downtime I actually watched Flamu in ..... half a year? year? more?

Remember I picked this one because there were no mutings, and the title sounded promising.

But yeah, just to get the right scent of salt for ranked ......

(watch at least 2 minutes)

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/438841434?t=06h14m15s

(in case it doesnt work)

That's why I don't play ranked. It's not good for my health. This one is better.

• Funny 5