You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
havaduck

The Cachexia of OPS - palliation when?

14 comments in this topic

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
2,989 posts
11,564 battles

So Cachexia is a combination of two words and means literally "bad state" and one of its key signs is atrophy - of both of the quality and quantity of OPS available. The primum in this case is, as it is well known, naturally the CVs and their Rework causing the removal of the majority of ops. Now l would prefer to not talk about CVs here because when it comes to WGs ability to handle them, I think its a terminal condition.

The problem is that this CV-Rework condition did more than locoregional damage and had system wide effects: There were few CVs regularly in situ in random battles, but then with the rework unchecked proliferation of the amount of CVs happened. No surprise there as CVs now had acquired the ability to fully evade any surface ships natural AA-response. This invasive growth in popularity came at the expenses of the other classes fun, playability, etc and people naturally fled to ranked. Battle strategy quickly suffered anaplasia until the formation of "battle blops" itself showed severe dysplasia in normal fleet formation.  However being as influential as they were, CVs quickly set up a Filia in Ranked as well. Clearly, Seed and Soil-Theory meant that a class as influential would home in on ranked once it was able to cross the even-uneven-barrier set up by the previous tiered ranked season. Matters were made worse by CVs clearly being $-receptor positive with WG yet again pumping offers like America does Corn sirup.

With no debulking in sight from WG in terms of numbers of CVs, a probably not insignificant number of people turned to PVE. Here CVs have always been a rather benign sight; however, here they have been literally excised by WG in toto. One could have wished WG had taken the same curative approach in PVP too, but this is about PVE/OPS. 

Instead of adhering to the principle of "Primum Non Nocere" (first, to do no harm) WG acted first, did the damage and then ...... nothing. Yes, there is a CV in Narai and it does launch fighter-planes (I dont think they are P40, and certainly no CV in this game has any p53) clearly showing that the removal of bot AI indicating a massive field defect and only the auto launch consumable works.

Thus, OPS and its player base suffering from the CV-Rework are in need of some paliation. One such approach could be cross-protocol: Introduce old OPS back and adjuvant 1 or 2  entirely new ones. Now people like to play their CVs in ops and the (player controlled (p)) CV lines start at pT4 and go all the way up to pT10. T4 bot CVs have proven workable in ops before when AI controlled and can work again, and players might also give their pT4 CVs a spin again. However there are no low tier or really high tier Ops - so introduce one of each (4-5, 9-10). This sort of "AI-therapy" will both help people dealing with CVs as well as learning them to play. Economy wise high tier ones could be tailored to be bad economy wise but good for captain experience.

If definitive Therapy of balancing cycles in randoms fails, we should have at least OPS as a sort of last line therapy to fall back to. And if the CV-burden there turns out to be too great and they cant be implemented timely, then at least have more (the aforementioned new ones?) OPS fast as a means of palliation. Pathological fracturing of the player base is a risk WG already took and is happily embracing with things like savage battles. However the PVE community pretty much always gets left behind. When was co-op last time actively developed? Oh yeah, when OPS were introduced ......... so all in all, never/once.

• Cool 7

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
2,989 posts
11,564 battles
1 minute ago, Panocek said:

c86.jpg

No worries mate, just a post I allowed myself to have. :Smile_trollface:

But there is indeed the issue of ops rotation akin to a hamster wheel of only 4 different ones available - of which 2 are simply awful. Not even starting about the players .....

Players
10,198 posts
11,986 battles
4 minutes ago, havaduck said:

No worries mate, just a post I allowed myself to have. :Smile_trollface:

But there is indeed the issue of ops rotation akin to a hamster wheel of only 4 different ones available - of which 2 are simply awful. Not even starting about the players .....

But hey, Raptor Rescue will/should be brought back with 0.8.6, so PvE crabs crowd should be happy for a year or so...:Smile_trollface:

Variable tiers and shift from weekly rotation to daily could be easy, quick and dirty fix for existing Ops until WG gets AI carriers operational. So they can mine salt themselves too:Smile_trollface:

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
2,989 posts
11,564 battles
6 minutes ago, Panocek said:

Variable tiers and shift from weekly rotation to daily could be easy, quick and dirty fix for existing Ops.

Indeed, that would be a start. I actually dont want to think about the next 2 weeks after Aegis ........ its disheartening.

6 minutes ago, Panocek said:

But hey, Raptor Rescue will/should be brought back with 0.8.6, so PvE crabs crowd should be happy for a year or so...:Smile_trollface:

Really? Hm there wasnt any news yet on 8.6, not even PTS - or at least, I didnt catch that info elsewhere.

However I hope RR will be improved because the last version was god awful too - increasing a roster of 2 weeks of horrible ops/months to possible 3 ......

Also, yeah, 1 ops. And it took only half a year. And its a old one. Great. Woohooo.

Players
10,198 posts
11,986 battles
On 6/20/2019 at 3:51 PM, Crysantos said:

The Raptor Rescue operation is brought back and the balance in it is improved: all skills, modernizations and premium consumables are removed from bots, and the composition of enemy groups is changed. 

Narai with tier 10 ships :cap_hmm: that might be extra hectic. Or tier 4 for that matter...

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
2,989 posts
11,564 battles

Many thanks for that link.

Yeah the tittle does not really much away, as does the single actual sentence except:

On 6/20/2019 at 3:51 PM, Crysantos said:

The Raptor Rescue operation is brought back and the balance in it is improved: all skills, modernizations and premium consumables are removed from bots, and the composition of enemy groups is changed. 

While this is ofc a significant change, I also think it infuriating when you think how long it took WG just to have bots run in standard mode instead of fully loaded with everything. I know the UI is really crappy and demounting those consumable and flags takes a long time, but not a excuse for the months and months it took. :cap_old:

[FJAKA]
Players
2,975 posts
477 battles

Dont drink and post. Clearly sober person could not conclude that peoples fled to ranked because there were alot cvs in Randoms. 

This game just need difficulty modes you choose for yourself:

EZ mode - no CV in game, fire duration is halted, no citadel hits, torpedo dmg is halfed etc etc. This is mode for all "I am here for fun and it is not fun to die -insert random class/weapon"

Normal mode - well as it is now. 

Players
10,198 posts
11,986 battles
7 minutes ago, veslingr said:

EZ mode - no CV in game, fire duration is halted, no citadel hits, torpedo dmg is halfed etc etc. This is mode for all "I am here for fun and it is not fun to die -insert random class/weapon"

You mean co-op?

[NWP]
Players
1,386 posts
11,262 battles

@havaduck

If I was a betting man I would wager that you are in the medical profession or in a field closely related.

And I loved "paliation"

Regrds

Saltface

• Funny 1

[FJAKA]
Players
2,975 posts
477 battles
23 minutes ago, Panocek said:

You mean co-op?

No. There are bots. I mean I some games there is difficulty level you can choose. We clearly need it here because alot of peoples wanna EZ play with less possible challange. 

Players
2,521 posts
3 hours ago, Panocek said:

c86.jpg

Don't be like that. I've seen you Killing Whales yourself in your Prinz Eitel...

Players
3,524 posts
14,236 battles
12 hours ago, havaduck said:

So Cachexia is a combination of two words and means literally "bad state" and one of its key signs is atrophy - of both of the quality and quantity of OPS available. The primum in this case is, as it is well known, naturally the CVs and their Rework causing the removal of the majority of ops. Now l would prefer to not talk about CVs here because when it comes to WGs ability to handle them, I think its a terminal condition.

The problem is that this CV-Rework condition did more than locoregional damage and had system wide effects: There were few CVs regularly in situ in random battles, but then with the rework unchecked proliferation of the amount of CVs happened. No surprise there as CVs now had acquired the ability to fully evade any surface ships natural AA-response. This invasive growth in popularity came at the expenses of the other classes fun, playability, etc and people naturally fled to ranked. Battle strategy quickly suffered anaplasia until the formation of "battle blops" itself showed severe dysplasia in normal fleet formation.  However being as influential as they were, CVs quickly set up a Filia in Ranked as well. Clearly, Seed and Soil-Theory meant that a class as influential would home in on ranked once it was able to cross the even-uneven-barrier set up by the previous tiered ranked season. Matters were made worse by CVs clearly being $-receptor positive with WG yet again pumping offers like America does Corn sirup.

With no debulking in sight from WG in terms of numbers of CVs, a probably not insignificant number of people turned to PVE. Here CVs have always been a rather benign sight; however, here they have been literally excised by WG in toto. One could have wished WG had taken the same curative approach in PVP too, but this is about PVE/OPS. 

Instead of adhering to the principle of "Primum Non Nocere" (first, to do no harm) WG acted first, did the damage and then ...... nothing. Yes, there is a CV in Narai and it does launch fighter-planes (I dont think they are P40, and certainly no CV in this game has any p53) clearly showing that the removal of bot AI indicating a massive field defect and only the auto launch consumable works.

Thus, OPS and its player base suffering from the CV-Rework are in need of some paliation. One such approach could be cross-protocol: Introduce old OPS back and adjuvant 1 or 2  entirely new ones. Now people like to play their CVs in ops and the (player controlled (p)) CV lines start at pT4 and go all the way up to pT10. T4 bot CVs have proven workable in ops before when AI controlled and can work again, and players might also give their pT4 CVs a spin again. However there are no low tier or really high tier Ops - so introduce one of each (4-5, 9-10). This sort of "AI-therapy" will both help people dealing with CVs as well as learning them to play. Economy wise high tier ones could be tailored to be bad economy wise but good for captain experience.

If definitive Therapy of balancing cycles in randoms fails, we should have at least OPS as a sort of last line therapy to fall back to. And if the CV-burden there turns out to be too great and they cant be implemented timely, then at least have more (the aforementioned new ones?) OPS fast as a means of palliation. Pathological fracturing of the player base is a risk WG already took and is happily embracing with things like savage battles. However the PVE community pretty much always gets left behind. When was co-op last time actively developed? Oh yeah, when OPS were introduced ......... so all in all, never/once.

Even on the forums I can’t escape work... god damn medical terminology!