You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Tamago

Ships quite asynchron

17 comments in this topic

[CQC]
Beta Tester
66 posts
5,947 battles

First and foremost : Iam not a good player, but that doesnt mean i dont notice stuff going other than they should. At least that is what my hit rate shows me. Damage is a different point (how i loath making  6 pen hits with a singel salvo of 8 shells, but only do 3k damage because the turret tank the damage internally without exploding or breaking)

To cut it short, for people that dont like explanations :

Ships tend not to be where they are when they are moving for a longer time. Especially noteworthy on longer distances (over 10km). So my question is just, is that happening to alot of people? Or is it just me and my division mate?

The explanation:

Since i started playing a had quite a few matches and constantly noticed that eve when I aim perfectly , my shells just phase thorugh the enemy and when I miss (lead to far) they suddenly devestate a ship.

So over alot of games I tried different stuff and checkd alot of stuff, crossreference some stuff with a div mate and came to the simple conclusion that even your own ship is not always there where you are, eventhough you have a average ping of 60-70ms , 70FPS and 0% Package lose.

For the details.. in most cases the enemy ship is not there where it should be. This seems to happen alot on distances over 10km (the distance when WG decideds to stop rendering details and simplify stuff for some odd reason, its not like most computers dont have the ressources for that and the only ressource intense part in the game is the water/Port *cough*).

In a simple Paint picture (excuse my drawing skills, the arrow is the sailing direction) :

image.png.28a941a9977d09a348fc256ef13827c2.png

A difference that big usually is at around 15-20km distance

That Perticulary case tends to happen alot if a ship is spotted for a longer time and sailing in one direction (just with slight adjustmend of the course). You usually dont notice that when a person is beeing in the most unfavourable position in naval history , bow on. But if you try to give support on the last few ships or a carrier that is further away, it tends to be quite noticeabale (shells phasing right through the carrier but hitting when they hit the water infront of them)

The other thing is something i dont know if is just my aiming, or iam myself not in the right position on my client. Strangly afterall it only happens when iam moving and not standing still, while shooting at someone in the most acurate naval alignment for short range engagement.

Again a simple Paint picture to make it simpler :

image.png.3178d109550c089dd256109a495346cf.png

The black circle is where my shells center around, not just the spread making me miss the ship, thats something else entierly (like shells spreading around a Kurfürst Broadside on less than 5km distance)

Basically i aim at the ship (naturally with target selected since WG desires its autoaim to work) but the shells fly off the side in wich direction iam moving in. After I stop , not changing where i aim at, they hit where I want to.

So my thought was on that , that maaaaybe WG actually uses your own speed in the shell movement (wich it shouldnt, this isnt a different game wich's name shouldnt be named), but it doesnt. If i aim further to the right, the shells are spreading and flying wild around like iam not trying to hit the ship.

So my question simply is , even if the forum is not most players in the game, is it just me? Or is this happening to more people? Its not like it just started 1-2 updates ago, on short range it actually got better a few months back when they changed the apearing ships mechanic.

Lastly , for the people that usually think it is the hardware (wich shouldnt be the case), the important stuff i use :

i7 - 6500k

GTX 1080

250Gig SSD Samsung

No Windows Defender that slows down the whole system to nearly a halt

[CAIN]
Players
4,650 posts
19,743 battles

I don’t play myself at the moment, but i‘ve Seen it a couple of times on a stream, where shells past through a ship. 

• Cool 1

Players
628 posts
2,129 battles

Have you been using the same ship to conduct all your tests?

If not it may simply be a case of the different dispersion of each ships guns. In my case using a ship with good dispersion and sometimes I'm almost embarrassed when shells hit spot on despite a badly aimed shot or rushed shot. A ship with bad dispersion and I find you can aim all day but it won't necessarily make the outcome any better, sometimes the shells just miss. This can look artificial, shells that you think should miss get a hit, and those that are shot at close point blank range miss because of poor dispersion, but I'm sure it all evens out over time, it's the way to balance the game. 

There are a few people in WoT who cry they want RNG removing, but removing all the randomness would simply make the game predictable and boring. How else would the game factor in such things that you get in real life such as wind, slight differences in gun barrels, temperature, etc.

[CQC]
Beta Tester
66 posts
5,947 battles
3 minutes ago, 250swb said:

Have you been using the same ship to conduct all your tests?

If not it may simply be a case of the different dispersion of each ships guns. In my case using a ship with good dispersion and sometimes I'm almost embarrassed when shells hit spot on despite a badly aimed shot or rushed shot. A ship with bad dispersion and I find you can aim all day but it won't necessarily make the outcome any better, sometimes the shells just miss. This can look artificial, shells that you think should miss get a hit, and those that are shot at close point blank range miss because of poor dispersion, but I'm sure it all evens out over time, it's the way to balance the game. 

There are a few people in WoT who cry they want RNG removing, but removing all the randomness would simply make the game predictable and boring. How else would the game factor in such things that you get in real life such as wind, slight differences in gun barrels, temperature, etc.

i usually use the same ships for the same test a few times. e.g. i did like 200 battles with Conquerer, 50 with warspite , daring just 60, minotaur 30 (for recently).

it always was the same that on further distances (over 10km ) it started to deviate more and more. basically at 10-15km it wasnt that much notice able (except i aimed for the heck of a ship) , but anything further and i actually had to hit the bow of a ship not to actually miss the ship or only cause 1-2 overpens thorugh the heck.

For more detailed example: On daring i notcied nothing of that , but i usually fought at around 5-7km distance.

on mino i usually have to aim to miss if i shoot at something at 18km distance.

[BLITZ]
Players
2,842 posts
11,387 battles

The only situations - where I've seen shells going through a ship without hits - were when shooting behind an obstacle. The shells in my client went through and flew towards the target. However, on the server they obviously got blocked by said obstacle. So I saw them just straight flying through the target.

[CQC]
Beta Tester
66 posts
5,947 battles
5 minutes ago, B0Tato said:

The only situations - where I've seen shells going through a ship without hits - were when shooting behind an obstacle. The shells in my client went through and flew towards the target. However, on the server they obviously got blocked by said obstacle. So I saw them just straight flying through the target.

that actually only happens because if you dont see it (the guns and the island) in your view, they do not fully render and calculate collition for your client. Thats in the end just ghost shells flying.. and since iam a bad player, i usually dont shoot over islands (i tend to shoot all my shells into it all the times)... darn this markers that tell me i can shoot over it...

[BLITZ]
Players
2,842 posts
11,387 battles
3 minutes ago, Tamago said:

that actually only happens because if you dont see it (the guns and the island) in your view, they do not fully render and calculate collition for your client. Thats in the end just ghost shells flying.. and since iam a bad player, i usually dont shoot over islands (i tend to shoot all my shells into it all the times)... darn this markers that tell me i can shoot over it...

This actually also happened when I was zoomed out. I don't know if it has been patched out by now, though.

[CQC]
Beta Tester
66 posts
5,947 battles
5 minutes ago, B0Tato said:

This actually also happened when I was zoomed out. I don't know if it has been patched out by now, though.

i havent actually checked it that good, since i rarely actually manage to shoot over an island, but that is good to know too.

but it is still funny to let shell/Torpedos disapear and reapear by lookingg away and back again... you tend to see shells fly quite abruptly around and see tracers cut in the sky/water.

[-SBF-]
[-SBF-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
726 posts
14,698 battles
1 hour ago, Tamago said:

eventhough you have a average ping of 60-70ms

Isn't this a bit high? I haven't checked for a while, but these days 20-30ms seems the average right? 

[CQC]
Beta Tester
66 posts
5,947 battles
Just now, Lieut_Gruber said:

Isn't this a bit high? I haven't checked for a while, but these days 20-30ms seems the average right? 

I have to check that one again when iam at home (at work right now), but i usually remember an average of 60-70ms at least in other games . Only thing iam sure is there is no package lose.

My internet at least is conected per fiber on 10Mbyte/s.

But as said, i will check again and correct it if it is different.

[CATS]
Players
28,101 posts
14,885 battles

Ships are not that fast that 60-70ms would make such a difference.

WoWs also uses prediction methods (client calculates where the target should be in the next 60-70 ms, according to last data packet). When a ship moves mostly straight, latency this low should not make a difference.

The problem has to be elsewhere.

[CQC]
Beta Tester
66 posts
5,947 battles
19 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

Ships are not that fast that 60-70ms would make such a difference.

WoWs also uses prediction methods (client calculates where the target should be in the next 60-70 ms, according to last data packet). When a ship moves mostly straight, latency this low should not make a difference.

The problem has to be elsewhere.

Thats why mit thought was formt he beginning, it shouldnt be the Ping/packet los. Because if it was the ping or something, the ships would all be the same distance away from their actuall positon and i would also notice that from my actuall firecommand delay.

i basically have it like this :

image.png.f0a59795a83ac941be39acccb77e9392.png

The further away, the more it is off.

Last week i had a good example with my azuma as me and my friend were finishing off the last republic. He was 8km away from it, i was shooting at it with spooter plane from ~20km distance.

For me the first salvo hit dead center and did like 2k damage and my friend told me that i actually hit the Heck of the ship, wich makes no sense. so i aimed a full ships length before it (if it was there) and the hit fell into the water (on my screen) but exploded and did the republic ~12k damage. With my friend telling me i hit the center of the ship.

Players
10,192 posts
11,985 battles

Desync between ship model and actual hitbox location is a bug that comes back occasionally from beta times even, with no apparent cause. I don't recall it happening recently, but overall I've seen plenty of cases where my shots went through ship with no effect whatsoever as well seen salvo that should nuke my ship, and yet all that happened was water splash... where you would expect citadel to be:cap_hmm:

[THESO]
Players
4,355 posts
8 hours ago, Jethro_Grey said:

I don’t play myself at the moment, but i‘ve Seen it a couple of times on a stream, where shells past through a ship. 

Once I shot full broadside Yamato from my Montana at around 6 km.

All my shells went into his hull and disappeared (was watching them). No hits registered.

Not to mention that one time an enemy DD shot two spreads of torps towards me ... I went behind a small island and two of the torps (out of 10) just went trough the island. 8 of them exploded once they hit the island, but two of them just appeared on the other side.

This game sometimes is pure donkey balls.

Players
7,231 posts
245 battles
9 hours ago, 250swb said:

25% rng is still stupid regardless. it's also a lazy way to balance or add features such as the above into the game.

and even without randomness games wouldn't be that predictable, take games like csgo for example.

Players
628 posts
2,129 battles
2 hours ago, CptBarney said:

25% rng is still stupid regardless. it's also a lazy way to balance or add features such as the above into the game.

and even without randomness games wouldn't be that predictable, take games like csgo for example.

And yet in any real battle not every shot hits the target despite theoretically perfect aim. So if RNG is lazy I'm sure WG would appreciate hearing of an alternative that doesn't reduce WoWs to a turn based board game.

[CATS]
Players
28,101 posts
14,885 battles
4 hours ago, CptBarney said:

I am quite sure CS has random elements. You do not have perfect aim when running or using salvo fire.