Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Myrmidon19

Tankiest.. Meatiest.. Most BB-like... Cruiser?

12 comments in this topic

Question

[NORKS]
Players
91 posts

I'm basically wondering peoples opinions/advice on the toughest/tankiest Cruiser? I.e. is there a cruiser that could be considered a battlecruiser, like the closest thing to a battleship whilst still being a cruiser? Another way to look at it could possibly to be not as concerned about size, health and armour but batteries. Any cruisers with huge small numbers of main batteries more akin to battleships than typical multi-gun destroyers and cruisers?

11 answers to this question

Players
1,052 posts
15,102 battles

For guns: depending on whether the floor should be set by the original HMS Dreadnought's 305mm guns, or Nassau's 283mm guns. Graf Spee T6 Premium Cruiser gets a 2x3 283mm main battery , good HP pool and a repair party. Alaska, Kronshtadt (no longer for sale), Stalingrad, Azuma, and Yoshina are all Large Cruisers with 305mm main batteries.

For HP: this review of Yoshina provides a short of list of cruisers with the largest HP in the game, and this one a summary of effective HP (accounting for maximum use of Repair Parties) for Tier 9 cruisers.

Anyone not looking for Tier 9 and Tier 10 ships wanting cruiser type performance with battleship guns then Scharnhorst (3x3 283mm) and Hood (4x2 381mm) are both Premium Tier 7 fast battleships. Turning circles are not cruiser-like and neither should sail side-on to enemy battleships.

[-AP-]
Players
2,704 posts
6,529 battles

Stalingrad or kronstadt.

neither of them are tech tree ships tho, and both are very hard to get(stalingrad is for steel, and kronstadt was removed from the shop)

[RL7S]
Players
248 posts
3,276 battles

Alaska is probably your best bet considering Yoshino/Azuma don't so much have armor as a hull made of reinforced cardboard, Kronstadt isn't for sale anymore and Stalingrad is Steel only. Or you could wait for Siegfried which is probably going to be Coal or Free XP.

Alternatively Graf Spee is a lower tier option that combines large caliber guns with excellent combat endurance thanks to decent armor and a heal. 

Should be noted those are all premiums, the only tech tree cruiser that possibly fits the bill is Moskva which has armor like some of the supercruisers although guns are definitely cruiser caliber.

Players
50 posts
4,824 battles

Moskva, Graf Spee.

Des Moines/Salem could also be a good fit if it the are going nose-in

If you reverse the question, "A BB that acts like a cruiser" then Scharnhorst would fit the bill.

I think that the Scharnhorst would be the best descibe a battlecruiser. 

Quality Poster, In AlfaTesters
1,709 posts
14,194 battles

Never be under the assumption that Graf Spees armor is good enough to stop anything beyond 203mm AP, and even then only when angled, and 90% of the ships surface area is vulnerable to HE shells. Much of its endurance comes from having a large health pool and heal, a rare benefit for a cruiser at tier 6. Expecting its armor to stand up to any BB will result in disappointment.

• Cool 1

Players
3,139 posts
11,239 battles
On 6/28/2019 at 3:35 PM, Myrmidon19 said:

I'm basically wondering peoples opinions/advice on the toughest/tankiest Cruiser? I.e. is there a cruiser that could be considered a battlecruiser, like the closest thing to a battleship whilst still being a cruiser? Another way to look at it could possibly to be not as concerned about size, health and armour but batteries. Any cruisers with huge small numbers of main batteries more akin to battleships than typical multi-gun destroyers and cruisers?

To cut the crap out mate....

The Stalingrad.  

Players
205 posts
5,313 battles

Graf Spee is not tanky at all.. BB's love to take pot shots at her, and she takes the hits hard!!! .. 

but Tech tree tankiness has to be Moskva for me.. you have to know how to angle her and DO NOT show broadside at all!!.. my record is over 4m potential damage 

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
On 7/17/2019 at 3:41 PM, Astolfo_Is_My_Waifu said:

Never be under the assumption that Graf Spees armor is good enough to stop anything beyond 203mm AP, and even then only when angled, and 90% of the ships surface area is vulnerable to HE shells. Much of its endurance comes from having a large health pool and heal, a rare benefit for a cruiser at tier 6. Expecting its armor to stand up to any BB will result in disappointment.

2 hours ago, Sark74 said:

Graf Spee is not tanky at all.. BB's love to take pot shots at her, and she takes the hits hard!!! .. 

but Tech tree tankiness has to be Moskva for me.. you have to know how to angle her and DO NOT show broadside at all!!.. my record is over 4m potential damage 

For T6 standards, having a waterline cit that frontally is covered by your main turret barbette, together with the hp pool and repair party makes it insanely tanky for its tier. It's just that it does not stand up to BBs, but few CBs do that, unless they are either up against ships of lower tiers or people who don't know what they are doing. But even the vaunted Stalingrad can get citpenned through the nose if it is unlucky and its side armour is not going to hold off much. Also, unlike high tiers, Graf Spee at its tier does overmatch cruisers.

On 7/16/2019 at 11:01 PM, Alex_Connor said:

Alaska is probably your best bet considering Yoshino/Azuma don't so much have armor as a hull made of reinforced cardboard, Kronstadt isn't for sale anymore and Stalingrad is Steel only. Or you could wait for Siegfried which is probably going to be Coal or Free XP.

Yoshino might look like reinforced cardboard, until you get trolled by the layout with its citadel protection and spaced amour. It's certainly prone to eating citadels, but when getting shot in the side, it can hold up better than Stalingrad.

Overall, Alaska is likely the tankiest cruiser and has guns big enough with USN bounce angles to make it devastating at mid ranges.

Sign in to follow this