You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
shonai

0.8.5 AA DPS change

11 comments in this topic

WG Staff
26 posts
5 battles

Dear players,

As 0.8.5 changes have brought much needed and requested AA DPS consistency, seems like in many cases the plane losses became slightly excessive, and CV efficiency was nerfed too much. While we do like the change, we still need to keep CV efficiency reasonable. Over weekend and early next week we intend to observe the situation very closely, determine the amount of needed changes to plane HP, and implement a hotfix. Unfortunately, only live server data will help us to polish the change, preserving its core concept – more rewarding and meaningful anti-air defense.

Stay tuned for more news, and we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 6
  • Bad 1
  • Angry 1

[GURKA]
Players
147 posts
15,681 battles

Yep just ask any dd player and he'll agree. (read satire !!!!)

One day it would be nice to have system where the cv actually looses HP from plane losses. Game still broken and as history has shown,,,, the cv changed the way real world wars were played in world war II. Oh what a laugh if the cc's have to stay next to the poor cv to protect him.

• Cool 1

[BANCV]
Supertester
92 posts
21,993 battles

Desire to play randoms......going down rapidly after this announcement. 

• Cool 1

Players
1,290 posts
19,563 battles

I don't [edited]understand. Every other ship class has to play carefully, your mistakes are punished, usually very heavily, your bad positioning is punished, your rushing in is punished... every thing you do, if you don't execute it perfectly you'll probably get punished for it... And they finally do it for CVs. You can't fly into blobs of AA, you can't make 3 runs on Des moins... Only to revert it back or how WG like to say it: "slightly adjust it". We know what slightly means when WG talks about balancing. :Smile_facepalm:

And it took them one day...... one ..[edited]... day... With announced week of "data collecting". While every other change needs months of data collecting apparently. :Smile_medal:

• Cool 4

Quality Poster, In AlfaTesters
1,685 posts
14,175 battles

Previous AA damage was balanced around a mechanic that caused some pulses of damage to not occur. Due to the intermittent nature of the way damage was dealt the average was lower than what you might expect on paper.

Now that the damage is more consistent, the average amount of damage being dealt is higher. This was entirely predictable, and if they didn't want to see average damage increase they should have reduced AA DPS values when they implemented the change.

EDIT: turns out im still thinking of the 0.8.6 change to standardise AA reload times.

People who expect to just be perpetually immune to aircraft are always going to find themselves disappointed later.

[-TPF-]
Players
4,215 posts
17,610 battles
1 hour ago, Astolfo_Is_My_Waifu said:

People who expect to just be perpetually immune to aircraft are always going to find themselves disappointed later.

People don't want to be immune to CVs, they just want a fair contest. The 0.8.5 changes are a good thing because they break the idea that "The Bomber Will Always Get Through"- which is what everyone wanted. That also means that people have lost their fear of CVs, and coupled with the improved AA damage and people's understanding of AA mechanics, it'll be a hard few days for CV players. There should be more time given to allow them to adapt, though, just as everyone else has done. I suspect many CV players will still be enormously effective in the end game, not so much before hand. 

1 hour ago, Astolfo_Is_My_Waifu said:

EDIT: turns out im still thinking of the 0.8.6 change to standardise AA reload times.

I can't understand why they didn't have this to begin with. How on earth can you balance AA when one ship's 40mm Bofors is twice as effective as another's? The thing is that surface ship players now know more about reload times, about the importance of sectors and captain skills..... they can be more aggressive with AA than in the early days.

Quality Poster, In AlfaTesters
1,685 posts
14,175 battles
Just now, invicta2012 said:

People don't want to be immune to CVs, they just want a fair contest. The 0.8.5 changes are a good thing because they break the idea that "The Bomber Will Always Get Through"- which is what everyone wanted. That also means that people have lost their fear of CVs, and coupled with the improved AA damage and people's understanding of AA mechanics, it'll be a hard few days for CV players. There should be more time given to allow them to adapt, though, just as everyone else has done. I suspect many CV players will still be enormously effective in the end game, not so much before hand.

WGs concept seems to be that at least the first strike of each squadron should get through all but the most concentrated AA, the differences in ship AA effectiveness being how many more strikes the CV gets with that same squadron against that target, which is why the new concentrated AA change targets the last plane first, the first strike is the last one to be affected. But if AA efficiency right now is good enough that most squadrons cant even get the first strike off then it's no surprise that WG have announced a potential hotfix. The game is not balanced when CVs rule and can turn every game in the right hands, but it's also not balanced when theyre rendered impotent.

That said, I've played very little regular battles since the change, mostly the new mode, so how substantialky the environment has changed I don't personally know.

I can't understand why they didn't have this to begin with. How on earth can you balance AA when one ship's 40mm Bofors is twice as effective as another's? The thing is that surface ship players now know more about reload times, about the importance of sectors and captain skills..... they can be more aggressive with AA than in the early days.

AA guns with varied reload times was more authentic and flavourful than the standardisation which will make every AA gun, regardless of calibre, fire every 0.29seconds. We'll still see discrepancies in damage values, the 6 bofors on Omaha doing 140 dps vs the 48 bofors on seattle that only do 423 (3x the damage despite having 8x the guns) but the time between damage pulses will be standardised so that you don't have guns with 3.5s reload times that planes can fly through in 2 seconds, never triggering a shot.

An improvement, and in my opinion well worth the loss of authenticity, I'm sure from a visual perspective everything will look and feel as you'd expected, but your AA is guaranteed to at least do the damage you expect every time.

[GN0ME]
[GN0ME]
Beta Tester
22 posts
5,527 battles
18 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

I suspect many CV players will still be enormously effective in the end game, not so much before hand. 

well... i use to play with a cv main. and he's a very good cv player that could decide matches on his own before that change happened. now... well he still has an impact, but even if he doesnt make a single mistake and only goes for solo targets he will end up deplaned at one point. unless he doesnt attack for a few minutes, but that's not the point of playing cv. and either way, people will complain about cv. either it's "why dont you attack" or "omg why did you lose all your planes noob". as much as i myself am happy about being much more effective against cv, this patch made it very hard even for good cv players to do well, at least compared to pre 0.8.5

• Cool 1

Players
610 posts
20,069 battles

130k dmg for emblem stays. 

ok but give upgradet emblem for us,

we must work for that extremly more harder.,.