Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
howardxu_23

Full broadside or ripple fire, which is better?

12 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[COMFY]
Players
792 posts
2,025 battles

A question that has been debated since the dawn of wows, full broadside or ripple? So I have decided to sit down and test it out.

the ship used as the shooter is the T8 IJN BB amagi, with the targets being t10 gearings

 

The reason I used grading is to eliminate cits making the results vary too greatly, and the fact that gearing can only take overpen damage, thus negating saturation as well.

 

Test is conducted by opening fire upon them when each gearing is around 7km away from amagi

aiming location:

20190626184440_1.thumb.jpg.b8576a744d714bc52683c709677ee4ad.jpg

results:

All 7km

Full broadside

1st: 5

2nd:4

3rd:4

4th: 5

5th:4

6th:5

7th:3

8th:4

9th:3

 

Sequential(click per shot)

1st:3

2nd:4

3rd:3

4th:4

5th:4

6th:3

7th:5

8th:6

9th:3

 

conclusion: it does appear to have some effect on sequential fire being more accurate, although I still say that sample size is too small, but I lack time to dig into this further.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
13,781 posts
19,478 battles

Depends.

If you want to saturate the target area ripple fire is better assuming you're changing your aim point between each shot.

If you know where to aim and the target is giving you an opportunity to deal damage full broadside is better (because it gives the target less time to angle against all shells).

 

Seen too many people waste their opportunity to deal damage because "omg stfu ripple fire looks cooler!"

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
9,849 posts
11,562 battles

That and ripple fire at some point got sped up, now Atlanta sounds like she's got some proper dakka. Guessing Colbert was making trouble with all the firepower she has on board:cap_book:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BBMM]
Players
5,786 posts
7,351 battles
3 minutes ago, howardxu_23 said:

Technically I’m just looking at accuracy values in this case, where ripple seems better.

If the target is moving or even steering, then ripple fire is better. This is because you adjust your aim. 

If he's sitting behind a rock.... or moving backward... broadside... full salvo!

If he is angling, and you shoot HE - ripple fire, stop when he burns, and then again when he stops burning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
923 posts
13,174 battles

My understanding is that full broadsides result in a wider horizontal dispersion pattern. Ripple fire is preferred for head on/astern shots where the target profile is narrower.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
312 posts
19 minutes ago, DanSilverwing said:

My understanding is that full broadsides result in a wider horizontal dispersion pattern. Ripple fire is preferred for head on/astern shots where the target profile is narrower.


This sounds like the sort of thing that is subject to confirmation bias and issues with sampling size.  Is there any reason other than speculation to believe the deviation values differ depending on the firing mechanism?

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[COMFY]
Players
792 posts
2,025 battles
5 minutes ago, Ace42X said:


This sounds like the sort of thing that is subject to confirmation bias and issues with sampling size.  Is there any reason other than speculation to believe the deviation values differ depending on the firing mechanism?

my hypothesis is that the "sigma" is either applied to each individual turrets or a full salvo, so the test is supposed to find out if it is true or not. I probably would need to increase distance and do more rounds of testing to see if it is actually true or not, but this single test took me 2h just to complete it. And no, crusiers are too accurate so will end up negating the difference, plus it requires super cruisers to do so(the AP pen rule thing)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
312 posts
Just now, howardxu_23 said:

my hypothesis is that the "sigma" is either applied to each individual turrets or a full salvo, so the test is supposed to find out if it is true or not. I probably would need to increase distance and do more rounds of testing to see if it is actually true or not, but this single test took me 2h just to complete it. And no, crusiers are too accurate so will end up negating the difference, plus it requires super cruisers to do so(the AP pen rule thing)


Not sure that sounds plausible given: 

If I understand what you're suggesting - it's that when fired as a full salvo sigma isn't applied and thus the scatter-pattern of the shells is truly random within the dispersal field; whereas when fired individually, sigma is applied, and each shell is more likely, statistically, to land closer to the epicentre.

This is certainly something that could be analysed and determined statistically, but to me it sounds like a wild goose chase.  But, if correct, one that has a significant impact on play, I'll grant you.  But I can't see why the devs would bother nerfing double-clicks like that.  It's hard to imagine it  being a coding error - you'd think the game uses the same accuracy-subroutine irrespective of whether you single or double click just for sake of convenience.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CATS]
Players
26,201 posts
14,119 battles

If base accuracy is your concern. It makes no difference. Dispersion does not change.

When you shoot at a moving target, ripple fire allows adjustments.

DPM wise, salvo fire is slightly quicker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BOATX]
Beta Tester
5,170 posts
23,679 battles
39 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

When you shoot at a moving target, ripple fire allows adjustments.

DPM wise, salvo fire is slightly quicker.

What he said. 

Best is a combo. 

First turret fire should be more like a testing if your aiming is correct, if it is, then full salvo. 

If not, then more sequential fire until your aiming is right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NWP]
Players
1,337 posts
9,904 battles

If I remember well, each shell is calculated separately.

So, in terms of mechanics it is the same either you shoot one turret or a broadside.

 

 

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×