Sign in to follow this  
WG_Lumberjack

0.8.5 - Game Mechanics Improvements (non-damage penetrations)

5 comments in this topic

WG Staff
2,392 posts
4,270 battles

IMPROVEMENTS TO THE GAME MECHANICS

425a4266-9733-11e9-8abf-38eaa735f4cc.jpg

Update 0.8.5 brings updated mechanics for damage infliction to ships’ bulges, secondary battery and torpedo tube modules, and to the completely destroyed parts of a ship.

Now, when a shell penetrates a secondary battery module, a torpedo tube module, or a completely destroyed part of a ship, the dealt damage will be 10% of the maximum shell damage value. 100% of this damage can be restored using the Repair Party consumable. However, shells don't affect AA modules, and these can only be destroyed by explosions of HE shells, as before.

Have you ever received a "Penetration" ribbon for hitting an enemy ship's bulge, but the hit caused no damage to the enemy's HP? We are now introducing a new ribbon in order to avoid misleading our players. For penetrating a torpedo bulge without hitting the next layer of armor, a special ribbon will be given to a player—for shells, bombs, and rockets.

We've also renamed the torpedo protection armor elements which used to be called "Ship Plating." These are now called "Torpedo Protection."

GAME BALANCE CHANGES

424c598a-9733-11e9-bcd8-38eaa735f4cc.jpg

Previously, in Update 0.8.4, AA defense mounts inflicted permanent damage to a randomly selected aircraft in a squadron per a set frequency. This concept allowed ships to cause damage to the entire squadron. So, if the aircraft hovered over a ship too long, her AA defenses could shoot down most of them. However, if a squadron was flying over a ship for a short amount of time, there were situations when all the aircraft were damaged, but not a single plane was brought down.

To make the destruction of aircraft more consistent, AA defense mounts now inflict damage only to the last aircraft in the squadron. Thus, a player can be confident that their AA defenses are focused on a single target, shooting it down much quicker as a result. At the same time, most of a squadron’s aircraft will remain untouched during the attack, especially those in the attacking flight. The first planes in the squadron will receive damage only if a player is unable to avoid the shell explosions of AA defenses.

The minimum speed when using the Engine Boost for all Tier IV to X aircraft has been changed. Now the aircraft decelerate by 26.25 knots instead of 17.5. Attack aircraft, as well as Japanese and German aircraft, decelerate by 30 knots instead of 20.

The new Engine Boost parameters will help ensure the survivability of aircraft at the proper level, considering the changes to AA defenses introduced in the current and previous updates.

German Tier VIII aircraft carrier Graf Zeppelin

• Torpedo damage has increased from 4,533 to 5,333 HP.
  • Chance to cause flooding has increased from 25% to 29%.
  • Bomb normalization has improved by 5 degrees.

Analysis of statistics showed that the enhancement of flag_Germany_18970d883c7758b53538983bd09premium_dd52cb68f35242ce3ac78c9c5e36ff31 VIII Graf Zeppelin's bombers in 0.8.4 wasn't enough to balance her against other Tier VIII aircraft carriers. Reinforcing the torpedoes has increased the overall damage that can be caused, while the improved normalization has increased the effectiveness of armor penetration and slightly reduced the number of bombs being armed when they hit superstructures.

https://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/game-updates/update-085-rogue-wave/#gameplay

• Bad 1

Players
18 posts

You have no idea how hard it is to not insult game devs and staff after this AA "improvement"

Here's what happened:

- No carriers in prem shop, or very rare (perfectly understandable) Fully skill dependant, either too strong or too weak
- LETS MAKE OVERHAUL
- Overhaul happens
- IT IS SOOOO GOOD, WE NEED ONLY MINOR TWEAKS, LET'S ENABLE PEOPLE TO SPEND REAL MONEY ON THEM AGAIN
- People buy premium carriers because gameplay is somewhat entertaining and different from the standard

- SCREW IT, LET'S MAKE THEM USELESS IN LIKE 60-75% SITUATIONS AGAIN. TESTING? WHAT FOR?

Srsly, WG is enormous, worldwide company, with numerous workers, numerous mechanisms, protocols and resources  of assesment, testing and improving the products. Please tell me how it is posssible that clusterfucks as the one above still happen?

Just have a look:

• Cool 2

Players
1,476 posts
3,108 battles

I watched that video too, and i agree both with him and you.

To everyone, both players and game devs and staff, if you want to know how true AA is, play IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 and you'll know.

Players
9,835 posts
11,528 battles
On 6/26/2019 at 5:24 PM, WG_Lumberjack said:

Update 0.8.5 brings updated mechanics for damage infliction to ships’ bulges, secondary battery and torpedo tube modules, and to the completely destroyed parts of a ship.

Now, when a shell penetrates a secondary battery module, a torpedo tube module, or a completely destroyed part of a ship, the dealt damage will be 10% of the maximum shell damage value. 100% of this damage can be restored using the Repair Party consumable. However, shells don't affect AA modules, and these can only be destroyed by explosions of HE shells, as before.

Have you ever received a "Penetration" ribbon for hitting an enemy ship's bulge, but the hit caused no damage to the enemy's HP? We are now introducing a new ribbon in order to avoid misleading our players. For penetrating a torpedo bulge without hitting the next layer of armor, a special ribbon will be given to a player—for shells, bombs, and rockets.

We've also renamed the torpedo protection armor elements which used to be called "Ship Plating." These are now called "Torpedo Protection."

Bomb ribbon "penetrated deck but failed to penetrate main armor" doesn't work, throwing AP bombs from Ryujo, with known penetration which should be inadequate to score citadel against Yamato produces "regular pen" ribbons only. And considering rather high Yamato citadel, it shouldn't be the case of bomb detonating before reaching it.

shot-19-06-27-17-37-59-0638.jpg

[L-O-L]
Players
2 posts
9,766 battles

In my opinion, the new AA system is a mess... as a carrier, you loose tons of planes just because the damage is applied only to a single plane - I played a battle in my Graf Zeppelin - tier IX battle, I have attacked mostly targets that had weaker AA since GZ planes have very low health - and I got almost deplaned after 8 minutes, even when pre-dropping. Heal for the torpedo bombers is useless since it now heals only a single plane,.

The old AA system was very RNG dependant - sometimes you flew through the AA while loosing only a half of your squadron, sometimes you lost the entire squadron 6km away from your target, sometimes all of your planes were still alive. I agree that it needed some work, but this is too much.

Honestly, I would rather see the following:

1) Bring back the old AA system (before 0.8.5)

2) Scrap the entire 'sectors' system

3) Use this 0.8.5 AA system for captains with Manual AA skill

Sign in to follow this