Sign in to follow this  
robijn17

Commanders and tiers.

7 comments in this topic

Players
6 posts
371 battles

I have been busy honing my skills in my ships, learning to play the various rolls and i'm definitely improving. Many thanks to all vets who have posted replies on questions by others. I learned a lot!

Now i'm i bit stuck.

Each ship has a commander/captain with its share of skills...

Now here's what puzzles me....

If i start from the start, let's say tier 1, and i take the commander forward to each new tier ship and accept the retraining cost of 200k and grind the rest. Would if make any difference at the when I reach for example tier 6. Or is there any sense in taking up a new commander per ship?

Players
302 posts

You want to bring your new commander forward each time if you're selling the old ship as you progress.
Commander XP is awarded separately from the research XP - so the cost of retraining doesn't effect the grind up the tech tree.

If you've got a commander on a "keeper" boat, then you have to decide whether you want to keep moving your "good" CO forward (and as you progress up the tech-tree you'll be facing tougher situations that require stronger COs in general), or keep him on the "keeper" boat.  Generally you'll only want to keep him on the elited "keeper" boat if you're going to spam the hell out of that boat and thus speed up his training to the cap.

Getting one CO to the skill-point cap (so all the XP he generates can be gifted to other COs) should be a significant goal.

You can buy some legendary commanders via coal in the Arsenal that have special abilities and start with 10 skill points - ditto for loot-box collections and a couple of high-tier (T8+) campaigns.  It might be that your best CO is merely a place-holder until you can get one of the legendary ones in place - so plan your grind accordingly based on what boats (if any) you want to keep in your port.  Various promotions often give COs with 10cps in them (Hood from Azur Lane was recently in a give-away, so I now have three of her) - so you don't want to waste your time filling up your barracks with a load of low-CP commanders.

Remember that you can put COs into same-nation premium ships without retraining them - so if you've got a premium ship they're a great way of grinding out that orange retraining XP without temporarily losing access to skills.

If you've got a Destroyer / Cruiser CO who's approaching 10 skillpoints but not quite there (often the case around T6) it can be worth keeping them on an elite boat generated freeXP until you can make them hit 10cps and thus have access to Concealment Expert - which I consider to be mandatory for these boats in general, and not something you want to be missing on a new stock boat.

• Cool 2

Players
6 posts
371 battles

oh wow 4 tiers have gone to waste:cap_fainting:.

i replaced them all. I only started transferring my last CO from Omaha to Dallas. I feel stupid now.

[_FK_]
Players
213 posts
5,466 battles

Well, on the very low ships it does not really matter that much.

You don't spent a lot of time in T1 and T2 for example, so retraining a captain might take the same xp as you need to reach the next tier.

But from T3 or T4: yes, do move up your captain.

Players
606 posts
19 hours ago, robijn17 said:

oh wow 4 tiers have gone to waste:cap_fainting:.

i replaced them all. I only started transferring my last CO from Omaha to Dallas. I feel stupid now.

Nah, don't (feel stupid I mean) - whilst every point is valuable, the cost of switching them doesn't really make economic sense up to t4. I normally have a place-holder captain on T1-4 (new captain each time) then the new captain I get on T5 get's carried up (I normally buy a 3pt captain for 25 dub, although now I have a 19ptr I probably will just use EXP to train up to desired level)

One thing to note - if you are an F2P player, keep your barracks full, even if free 0-pts. IIRC, when you 'win' captains (e.g. a lot of ops give a 10pt captain on your first 4 or 5 star win) if you have a free captain slot they will just use it up, but if you have no spare slots you will be given a new one with the captain... so growing spaces in reserve :Smile_coin:

• Cool 1

[TWS]
Players
467 posts
4,653 battles

Yeah, at T4, I moved my Clemson Capt  (once he had 10pts for concealment skill) to Nicholas, then started  using Clemson as a trainer. I've done similar with Kuma, Omaha, Minekaze.

My Benson Capt when I buy it will come from Clemson once he's at 13 pts as I still enjoy playing Nicholas, Farragut and Mahan.

Mind you, I'm not i a rush to get to T10 as competition there has 19pt captains and legendary modules.

[SM0KE]
Players
5,419 posts
13,329 battles

FWIW my feeling is that you can manage with pretty flaky captains a lot of the time until you get into the +2 MM bracket i.e. T5 and above; that's also the point where 10-point captains start to become important, mainly due to CE (on sneakier ships anyway, now that it's a flat 10% bonus).

Unless it's a solid keeper (Clemson, for example), I wouldn't worry too much about maintaining good captains on anything below T5, unless you feel a powerful urge to seal-club.

A crucial question is how many ships do you intend keeping? I have a nasty tendency to keep most of my ships, so have a need for more decent captains; there are a number of things you can do if you're in this situation:

• The easiest is to just buy ten-pointers whenever they become available e.g. via the Armoury - the 'Soggy Mad Max' ones at the moment are worth a look, for example, and have the merit of being available for silver. This can get expensive though, especially if using doubloons.
  • The ideal is to accumulate elite captain xp, and use it to bump up a lesser captain to a more respectable level; this, of course, requires that you have at least one 19-pointer already. Getting your first 19-pointer will take a while, but once you're there, the second will be faster, and so on.
  • Don't forget about Ops: the scenarios generally don't *need* a monstrous captain, so can be a good source of captain training, provided the ship you want to use is suitable i.e. often (but not always) a BB or cruiser, and (at the moment) T6 or T7. Taking this route can get a 3 pointer to something more useful fairly quickly, or add a bit of polish to a better captain. It's worth noting that it helps if you're already reasonably comfortable with whatever the Op in question is: a decent performance will maximise the returns on your time.

It can be worthwhile, if resources permit, to have at least one premium ship available for lines that you're actively grinding; besides helping speed up captain development (as you can run any silver ship's captain in a premium without retraining or penalty), it can save you doubloons as it enables you to use the silver option for retraining to the next ship in a silver line and fill in the captain xp gap without playing with a gimped captain (as you would in the silver ship until the 'missing' xp is earned).

Some examples:

With the German BB line, you can do useful captain training with things like PEF, Scharn, and Tirpitz; the former two are also Op compatible at the moment as well; Graf Spee also works as a reasonable BB trainer too.

The American DD line has something like half a dozen premiums available by various routes (although DDs are often less ideal for Ops, unless you're very good in them), as do other nations' BBs and cruisers.

The other reason this sort of thing is nice is that it enables you to maximise use of daily first win bonuses; for example I have a 19 pointer in my Gearing - besides the bonus for that ship, I can cycle him through Sims, Kidd, Monaghan, Black, and now Hill (and soon Benham) - that's a lot of potential bonus xp.

Final note on the subject of gaining captain xp: whenever there's an event like the current Rogue Wave thing that gives you 19 point rental captains, play it as much as you can stand (especially if you don't have a lot of experienced captains yourself) as every game will generate elite xp for you, that can be applied to any existing sub-19 point captain.

Sign in to follow this