You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
AbashedLemming

Jean Bart Why Oh Why Did I Wait

25 comments in this topic

Players
83 posts

Been umming and ahing between Jean Bart and Salem from the armoury for ages. I was definitely leaning towards salem, the coupon expiry forced me to make a choice.  In a moment of madness I took a punt and went for JB. Am so glad that I did, what a fun boat to play. I was really concerned about low health pool and only 2 turret clusters but I was wrong. Still have much to learn about how to play her but if you are looking for fun JB is a good choice. My stats in the few games I have played, of course they don't show the fun factor

image.thumb.png.6323f9ec622dc1f9caa1f8fcd7c99789.png

• Cool 6

[SVX]
Beta Tester
434 posts
17,973 battles

Agreed but for me the choice was this or Georgia.

JB seems like a solid, fun choice. Next is probably Yoshino. Ive got DM so Salem does not interest me.

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
13,036 battles

Also got her with the coupon before it expired yesterday (Georgia can wait). Immediately wasted a MBRB charge because I wanted to use the spoodbeast, but the key for it on all other french BBs is 'Y' so I pressed that one out of muscle memory ... once more I wish WG would unify consumable keymapping or allow us to manually map consumable keys.

• Cool 7

Players
83 posts
4 minutes ago, Aotearas said:

Also got her with the coupon before it expired yesterday (Georgia can wait). Immediately wasted a MBRB charge because I wanted to use the spoodbeast, but the key for it on all other french BBs is 'Y' so I pressed that one out of muscle memory ... once more I wish WG would unify consumable keymapping or allow us to manually map consumable keys.

Yes the lack of consistency on consumable keys can be frustrating

• Cool 2

Players
83 posts
15 minutes ago, gbgroger said:

JB seems like a solid, fun choice. Next is probably Yoshino. Ive got DM so Salem does not interest me.

Just not sure about the georgia, I could never make Iowa work so I think is will not be for me. Yoshino looks potentially interesting I do like the atago.

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
13,036 battles
28 minutes ago, AbashedLemming said:

Yoshino looks potentially interesting I do like the atago.

Be carefuk comparing the Yoshino with the Atago, the latter is considerably more tanky overall (just from knowing the armour values and profile) and especially at its tier.

Players
3,130 posts
9,680 battles

Great ship, said it from the start. 

It fits in well with the Meta.  I would play it alot more but tend to go for tier 10 ships with the Clan countdowns now. 

Your Damage will only go up too mate.

The Salam is just a Des and i value longer range radar more. 

[AMOK]
Players
1,847 posts
8,202 battles
1 hour ago, AbashedLemming said:

Been umming and ahing between Jean Bart and Salem from the armoury for ages. I was definitely leaning towards salem, the coupon expiry forced me to make a choice.  In a moment of madness I took a punt and went for JB. Am so glad that I did, what a fun boat to play. I was really concerned about low health pool and only 2 turret clusters but I was wrong. Still have much to learn about how to play her but if you are looking for fun JB is a good choice. My stats in the few games I have played, of course they don't show the fun factor

Since i never really saw the value in getting a Salem i think JB is definitely the better choice if u liked the Richelieu. I can't even explain why she is performing so well since stats are ok'ish. But i think its her mobility and the fact that most people don't seem to have any respect for 380s :Smile_teethhappy:. Otherwise looking on the gunwise comparable ship in form of FdG ...its clear what is in favor for JB. Grenades actually goin where u expect them to go, turret placement and agility.

Very often i see the MM and i think oh crap...but after the battle it was mostly fun and it turns out to be my 2nd best ship dmg wise. I just love this thing :Smile_Default:

• Cool 1

Players
3,130 posts
9,680 battles
5 minutes ago, Donar79 said:

Since i never really saw the value in getting a Salem i think JB is definitely the better choice if u liked the Richelieu. I can't even explain why she is performing so well since stats are ok'ish. But i think its her mobility and the fact that most people don't seem to have any respect for 380s :Smile_teethhappy:. Otherwise looking on the gunwise comparable ship in form of FdG ...its clear what is in favor for JB. Grenades actually goin where u expect them to go, turret placement and agility.

Very often i see the MM and i think oh crap...but after the battle it was mostly fun and it turns out to be my 2nd best ship dmg wise. I just love this thing :Smile_Default:

Because it's an easy point and shoot ship. 

The layout of the guns tell the user what to do with the ship.  Like the nelson and the Lenin. 

The biggest difference is the Jean can get into that position quickly and relocate if required.

• Cool 1

[TTTX]
Players
449 posts
2,718 battles

So I started off playing this ship well but have become distinctly MEH. I'm still trying to figure out why and what I'm doing wrong. I THINK I'm too aggressive and play like I'm in a DD. I need to watch some more videos but currently it's one of my "I cant play this ship" Ships.

Players
83 posts
13 minutes ago, GraySlayer said:

So I started off playing this ship well but have become distinctly MEH. I'm still trying to figure out why and what I'm doing wrong. I THINK I'm too aggressive and play like I'm in a DD. I need to watch some more videos but currently it's one of my "I cant play this ship" Ships.

Ha ha know what you mean. You can see from posted stats I was winning a lot but need to do more damage. Tried to fix that and have had a bit of a losing run. Like I said in OP I am still  learning how to play her. But for me she is still fun to play win or lose.

• Cool 1

[AMOK]
Players
1,847 posts
8,202 battles
1 hour ago, Redcap375 said:

Because it's an easy point and shoot ship. 

The layout of the guns tell the user what to do with the ship.  Like the nelson and the Lenin. 

The biggest difference is the Jean can get into that position quickly and relocate if required.

Yeah absolutely right. That was perhaps a bit awkwardly formulated but only because I wanted to establish a connection to the unspeakable Friedrich like i do in every BB related topic :Smile_veryhappy:

I still don't get why they thought that unreliable guns are a good method to balance ships but anyways this isn't about FdG :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1

[BBMM]
Players
5,288 posts
6,381 battles
3 hours ago, AbashedLemming said:

Yes the lack of consistency on consumable keys can be frustrating

At least one-in-five games I see a DD cursing for pressing smoke while he wanted hydro, and stuff like that.

Come on WG. Even WOMEN have the buttons on sort of the same place. Else we get whacked all the time!! 

[SVX]
Beta Tester
434 posts
17,973 battles

Ive accidently pressed F while playing CVs too many times....thats an anticlimax for sure! *Flight recalled*

Players
3,130 posts
9,680 battles
1 hour ago, GraySlayer said:

I THINK I'm too aggressive and play like I'm in a DD.

Dear god in heaven, you don't do you :Smile_facepalm:

Were to start...:Smile_teethhappy:

Seriously tho, you kill all the Cruisers on the map with AP....BLAP BLAP.  Then switch to HE and burn all other BB's to the ground. 

Medium range tucked into a island game play.  French Armour remember so no brawling and if it's get too hot then reverse backwards and heal.   You have great AA for a BB so you can initially work alone for a short while.  Island hop to get closer and when the opportunely presents it's self, start firing into the middle of the map and catch broadsides.  Something a balancedGrad can do quite comfortably.

One of the best Coal ships out there and does well in the rework meta.

[AMOK]
Players
1,847 posts
8,202 battles
7 minutes ago, AbashedLemming said:

This is the captain and build I opted for. I do find a turret gets damaged a bit to often for my liking but not lost one yet.

Using nearly the same build myself.

32 minutes ago, Redcap375 said:

Seriously tho, you kill all the Cruisers on the map with AP....BLAP BLAP.  Then switch to HE and burn all other BB's to the ground. 

Against steeply angled targets HE "can" be the ammo of choice but i personally only adjust the height i am aiming for. Its helpful to know which broadside you can pen reliably. Even AP in to the superstructure hurts a lot.

• Cool 1

Players
1,889 posts
2 hours ago, GraySlayer said:

Try playing JB as more of a support BB. Let the BBs with more armor and HP tank. All you have to do is pump out dmg. Smack broadsides and DDs with the reload booster if you can. That way you can ezpz get well over 100k dmg per game. 

Players
2,878 posts
4 hours ago, gbgroger said:

I made the mistake of the Salem, big old mistake, already had the JB, great ship.

[TTTX]
Players
449 posts
2,718 battles
1 hour ago, MortenTardo said:

Try playing JB as more of a support BB. Let the BBs with more armor and HP tank. All you have to do is pump out dmg. Smack broadsides and DDs with the reload booster if you can. That way you can ezpz get well over 100k dmg per game. 

Yeah I think that's it Morten. Ive been pushing in like I do with my Massa and then getting primaried and deleted as one of the first ships to go down. Ill hang back at the start and pick my moments and see if I can increase her WR from the dismal 48% ROFL..

Isn't it odd how some ships you just fly with and others you seriously struggle with.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
4,496 posts
18,778 battles
4 hours ago, Donar79 said:

Its helpful to know which broadside you can pen reliably. Even AP in to the superstructure hurts a lot.

Nothing finer than getting close enough to a Yamato - sneaking close from behind an island - and pump 8 citadel hits into it's broadside from ~6 to 10 km ^^

[I-J-N]
Players
3,146 posts
11 hours ago, Aotearas said:

Good thing you noticed that.. I knew it and still missed the date. :Smile_facepalm:Now I got exactly one coupon to use for the next months so.. it's prolly going to be the Yoshino.

Beta Tester
825 posts
7,266 battles
13 hours ago, AbashedLemming said:

image.thumb.png.186043fc7425ad3e3e77e1e6cdc65075.pngimage.png.e24c601ad3a9a1b16c178761e6d03b14.png

This is the captain and build I opted for. I do find a turret gets damaged a bit to often for my liking but not lost one yet.

Haha you're gonna hate life when both of your turrets gets perma destroyed.

• Cool 1