Myrmidon19

Up-to-date Aircraft Carrier Guide

12 comments in this topic

[NORKS]
Players
91 posts

Before anyone charges in with 'oh my god do some reading' or 'jesus just use the search box' I should say that A.) I am fairly new and B.) I am aware that 'Aircraft Carriers' as a ship/mechanic have undergone a lot of changes back and forth since their inception so this does somewhat obscure things when trying to do research yourself. Generally speaking the more recent the guide/info then probably the more factual it will be, but who knows. Anyway would anyone be kind enough to recommend any guides, resources, videos etc that are representative of current mechanics?

I recently acquired my first Carrier (T4 Langley), I was told it wasn't the "best" but thinking long-term I surmised that in the long run the US carrier tech tree would probably be pretty good. One issue I'm having is judging distances from which to initiate 'runs' because I've had a couple of scenarios where I'll initiate at X-distance and complete the run and other times I'll deliberately initiate from a much closer Y-distance but the run to target will sometimes take longer under identical conditions and I find this somewhat puzzling and it throws me off sometimes because I'm not literally too close to initiate.

• Cool 3

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
4,470 posts
19,680 battles

I would like to join this call and I'm not new to the game. I'd love to get some basic advice how to get better with carriers.

Anything helps, from tips how to torp and bomb, to which skills are best taken in which order.

• Cool 2

Players
606 posts

@Myrmidon19 and @Aragathor

You may have already come across these, but these two topics whilst early-rework are mostly accurate I think

This one from NA:

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/180535-how-to-play-cv-rework-my-compilationguide-of-what-to-expect-and-how-to-play/

And a copy-paste of various snippets I have been collecting in a text document from various sources (might even be a copy-paste of the above guides, honestly can't remember) and of various relevance (subsequent 'balance' changes etc)...

Spoiler

>People couldn't figure out how not to get strafed... wanna guess how long it will take them to understand that the easiest way to dodge flank is to accelerate and/or decelerate rather than only turning wildly.

AFT is meh because the bonus is just too small for 4 points
MAA, is very nice if you have the good synchronization on the reinforcement
BFT is pretty nice for the continuous dps
Overall in terms of usefulness it would be MAA> BFT> AFT

AFT only buffs the damage of flak explosions so it stacks well if you have a lot of flak explosions

Flak always gives you the same time to react regardless of your speed. That means you need to go into AA fast, then slow down. Then repeat that at the set intervals flak spawns in while using A and D to misdirect flak into shooting where you do not want to go.?

See here for a more in-depth explanation:

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/180535-how-to-play-cv-rework-my-compilationguide-of-what-to-expect-and-how-to-play/

(Under 5-4. Abusing Flak Spawns)

So far I mostly played IJN Hosho and Ryujo (sold US line) so my comments is based on those:

1. When the game starts, do you start out with rocket planes to go fast to cap zones? Or is perhaps a torpedo bomber better?

Rockets. They are fast so you can spot for your team. They are rebuild quickest so it's not a drama if you manage to run into a stealth AA bunch of cruisers and lose that squad. They are also able to instantly attack a DD when you spot it, immediatly brake and the DD is half way in front of your planes. 
Torp bombers (TB) and Dive bombers (DB) are good / easiest against capital ships. But those are starting in the back so you have to fly above some AA ships first before you get there.

2. Do you spot a lot in the start of the game? What is your focus?

- leaving a fighter at the enemy side of a cap which my teammate seems to try to contest

- getting a general spot so my team knows where to great bunch of players is moving towards

- attacking every DD I come across
Not all of it in every game - just a general idea.

3. What is your game plan when the game moves forward? Torp lone battle ships, dive bomb them?

With IJN you wanna torp them. DBs have AP bombs which can do good damage but you need the right target for it (e.g. german or japanese BBs or CAs). I only use them when rockets and TBs are not with a full squad ready or when I know theres a juice AP bomb target driving alone.

4. Do you always leave a burning ship alone until you can see it has stopped taking damage?

As IJN has only rockets to set fires I don't bother at all. Most times I'm lucky if I set a single fire at all - rarly getting 2 fires out of the 2 or 3 attack runs you can normally execute.

5. Do you avoid the last attack that will likely kill the squad but do some more damage?

Depends. On a low health target I would try the attack. For saving planes you need to fly them out of AA range manually before pressing F key (> 6km from next ship). If HP is so low that I assume I won't make it anyway I instantly press F key (and sentence the remaining planes to death).

6. Focus on one ship or many? 

Focussing one ship together with your team is always a good strategy. Sunken ships can't fire back - the faster they sink the earlier they can't shoot back.

But at the moment it's more often like looking for the ship which has low AA and the least AA cover from enemy ships.
So squads wise, I wish I could attack the same ship again and again but as it's looking for cover and grouping up for  help it's more like this squad here, that squad there, and so on.

For the single squad and it's attacks: Normally I tend to turn and do the next run on the same ship. But sometimes there's another ship in suitable angle and distance after you come out of an attack run. Then I tend to take that one, cause it means less time in enemy AA fire.
DoT damage in IJN CVs is hard to achieve (only 1 source of fire, one for floodings with low flooding chance). So I don't bother to much about that.

7. What ships to avoid in different tiers? 

All AA heavy ships. Sorry but you have to (and will automatically) learn them (the hard way).

Cruisers are IMO bad targets cause they can have strong AA, defensive AA consumable and are hard to hit with torps or dive bombs. They are however somewhat vulnurable to rockets if you can aim + hit the superstructure.

But there are also BBs with good AA and at higher tiers some nasty DDs too.

9. Play differently if it is a double CV game than a single CV game?

Not really at the lower tiers. If you group up with the other CV you're actually pretty save against CV snipes. And it's useless to try to snipe yourself. With only having chat to communicate to other carrier it's also hard to coordinate. Trying to focus the same target as the other CV whenever possible. Focussing in general is a good idea no matter which ship you're in.

12. Are you less focused on spotting in this AA heavy 0.8.0.3 patch?

After the first spots I'm not actively scouting most of the times. I prefer attacking ships that are in range of friendly ships. So that they can do dmage while i'm trying to do damage (and spotting for me and them same time). This way I have sum up lots of spotting damage in many games whithout doing it on purpose. Sometimes when there is a lonely DD with to much HP for my last attack run out of a squad I keep him spotted instead of attacking when I see my team is firing at him.

13. What is your CV build, focus more on torp, dive or rocket planes? What about captain is RPF worth it compared to other skills, what do you use?

For IJN it's torpedo focussed. TBs have 7.5km detection range (with CE it's 6.8). You start your attack run (left klick) at about 5km. So they really see you late. Enemy BBs can hardly dodge those torps unless they start turning the moment they spot you. Rockets and DBs have 10km detection range so they see you coming a lot earlier.

____________________________________________________________________________________

1.? When the game starts, do you start out with rocket planes to go fast to cap zones? Or is perhaps a torpedo bomber better?

R?ockets are the fastest and now the most worthless so i dont mind losing them all at the start

2. Do you spot a lot in the start of the game? What is your focus?

early spotting is crucial for your mid-long term ability to keep your CV alive, it also helps to find out where the most dangerous AA ships are heading so you can focus on other areas of the map while your team (hopefully) breaks some of their AA mounts

3. What is your game plan when the game moves forward? Torp lone battle ships, dive bomb them?

DB the enemy DDs until they are dead, or so passive our DDs can win the caps, incase they have major support (AA cruisers pushing with them) focus on finding a lonely BB to pick on

4. Do you always leave a burning ship alone until you can see it has stopped taking damage?

Never, the only time an enemy ship is left alone is when i am fairly sure an allied ship is seconds away from sinking it

Most players still fear planes alot more than neccesary so they will not use damcon until the last planes have dropped their load, with all the nerfs you might aswell just keep spamming planes at your chosen victim and hope he eventually gets some fires that stick

5. Do you avoid the last attack that will likely kill the squad but do some more damage?

If i am flying against a heavy AA ship and expect heavy losses, i will waste the first 1-2 drops and send in around half a squad, this way you have enough planes to get your 1 good drop and possibly a second drop without losing the entire squad for it. As a bonus, you usually then have enough planes to relaunch for another strike run immediately. In the case my attack run doesnt go as planned and i am down to the last 5 or so planes, if their health is all orange/red then i just hit F and assume they all died horrible deaths...?

6. Focus on one ship or many? 

Key targets for the victory, a BB is pushing? steer him away with torpedos. DD trying to cap or flank? pester him with rockets/fighters or kill it with DBs. Always look for ships that are not blobbed up together.

7. What ships to avoid in different tiers? 

Not sure what you mean here, avoid heavy AA ships like USN cruisers & battleships, UK cruisers, FR battleships and probably a few others im forgetting, you will notice pretty fast when you attack a ship if it has mad AA or not.

8. Is there a mod for wows that shows strenght of AA in a very nice colourful way that can easy tell you which to attack and which to leave for later in the game?

there used to be a UI mod in aslain's modpack that did something similar, though i dont think there are any mods which will keep track of broken aa mounts or anything

9. Play differently if it is a double CV game than a single CV game?

depends if your allied CV is good or not, if there is a chance to work together and focus the same target it will certainly get more damage from fires etc but dont waste your planes following a maniac determined to strike the des moines behind an island...

10. Are there any ways of playing that makes you win more games?

besides the above.. not really.. if you have a potato team, eventually you will lose even if you manage 200k+ damage and a kraken, CVs just do not have the carrying potential they used to have.

11. What ships should team mates bring where you can support them and help them?

Anything with good AA that can hide behind island/in smoke makes quite effective plane killer traps against the enemy CV

Besides the occasional spotting fighter drop, CV has become an incredibly selfish gameplay style now.

12. Are you less focused on spotting in this AA heavy 0.8.0.3 patch?

If you dont look for suitable targets, who is gonna find them for you?

13. What is your CV build, focus more on torp, dive or rocket planes? What about captain is RPF worth it compared to other skills, what do you use?

USN CV focused entirely on DBs now, if i have DBs available to launch, they launch, the others are just timewasters while waiting on the DBs to regenerate...

Before the insane nerfs, i used to focus alot on rockets because they were fastest and could react to the enemy making a mistake better, now they are so innacurate you will probably miss an afk cruiser if RNG says no.

Never touched RPF with my CV captain, i have enough experience in DDs that i can fairly accurately predict where someone is going to go just using the minimap last known positions, maybe some would disagree and think its a good skill...

As you see I have a lot of questions which you can not read in the official manuals....What is your thoughts and how do you approach the game.

If you are uptiered, dont lose hope in the first few minutes, scout the enemy with planes you dont care about losing and after 5-10 minutes there is a good chance an enemy will make the mistake of sailing off alone.

Only very few ships have enough AA to kill an entire squad before they can drop, provided you dodge most of the flak bursts.

Remember its supposed to be a game, which is supposed to be fun, if you are not enjoying the game playing CV then you should not force yourself to continue playing them.

p.s forgot to mention, IJN CV are in a bad place right now, so all i said is based on playing USN

• Cool 3

Players
3 posts
2,054 battles

In the current iteration of CV play the best way to play CV is be in any ship but a CV, they are utter trash as it stands I just did more that 30 bomb and torpedo hits in random pvp match and scored a little more than 12k damage. Even rockets against DD do no appreciable damage and in the meantime even the weakest automatic aa is nuking planes when you try to get around for the second attack.

Bring back the old CV days which required actually skill rather than a complete dependency on RNG that is stacked against you terribly.

SC

P.S. couple this with the fact that whilst you try to do a few gnat bites of damage here and there your CV is completely uncontrolled other than to set a waypoint and given that random teams do not bother to protect you even when you could do damage do not expect protection now that you are effectively toothless and occupying a slot a proper ship could be using.

[NORKS]
Players
91 posts

Appreciate the replies and information guys. Sorry for a very delayed response it seems unlike literally every other thread I've ever made on this forum, this particular thread hasn't graced me with any 'notifications'. So small update...

I've essentially joined the order of the sky cancer... It seems to be what I'm good at and I'm quite regularly putting down 4, 5 even 6 ships in a game. Literally I don't think I've ever got more than 2 kills in a surface ship before in a single game. Although that isn't to say I don't have appalling games too sometimes but it definitely seems like I'm a hell of a lot better in a CV than I am in surface ships. That said I've just made the jump to the T-8 Lexington and I'm getting absolutely butchered. I guess part of it is the fact I'm now in games with T-10's and I'm not just a T-8 but a T-8 with no upgrades. So maybe I'll improve once I'm upgraded but it definitely seems a lot harder! The flak fields are absolutely insane.....

[ARYA]
Players
596 posts
15,400 battles

Is there any trick to dodge or avoid catapult fighters?

[-YR-]
Players
604 posts
16,813 battles
On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 5:32 PM, Myrmidon19 said:

I recently acquired my first Carrier (T4 Langley), I was told it wasn't the "best" but thinking long-term I surmised that in the long run the US carrier tech tree would probably be pretty good. One issue I'm having is judging distances from which to initiate 'runs' because I've had a couple of scenarios where I'll initiate at X-distance and complete the run and other times I'll deliberately initiate from a much closer Y-distance but the run to target will sometimes take longer under identical conditions and I find this somewhat puzzling and it throws me off sometimes because I'm not literally too close to initiate.(

Talking about Tier IV,  a good tips is to initiate the run from 6 km away for TB. Keep in mind you can use throttle to speed the run or to slow donw if you realize you initiated to close to the target. 

Then it's all baout practice. If you feel u need more training go to training room and set up a training session only for yourself. 

When u feel prepared do a couple of battles in coop and then you do the big step to random. And don't worry. If your team win you don't get credits but if it lose CV is Always biased for that. 

So don't be surpised to see your karma below zero. 

good luck

• Cool 1

[UAC]
Players
659 posts
2,215 battles
On 7/10/2019 at 11:51 AM, Atorpad said:

Is there any trick to dodge or avoid catapult fighters?

Only thing I know is if you have graf zeppelin you can outrun them with TB and DB with a lot of boost :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

[NORKS]
Players
91 posts
3 hours ago, Filipin00 said:

Only thing I know is if you have graf zeppelin you can outrun them with TB and DB with a lot of boost :Smile_trollface:

Partly connected to this but is it possible to mitigate the impact of catapult fighters by dropping patrol fighters over them? Usually catapult fighters consist of 2 fighters and patrol fighters have 3 fighters but you also have to factor in that the ships AA is also supporting those 2 so it's not like you have the upper hand with 3 vs 2 really. I've only recently jumped to T-8 so this is mostly tested with T-6. It seems to make some difference but not by much, maybe it's a nuance that requires a bit of practice.

[UAC]
Players
659 posts
2,215 battles
2 hours ago, Myrmidon19 said:

Partly connected to this but is it possible to mitigate the impact of catapult fighters by dropping patrol fighters over them? Usually catapult fighters consist of 2 fighters and patrol fighters have 3 fighters but you also have to factor in that the ships AA is also supporting those 2 so it's not like you have the upper hand with 3 vs 2 really. I've only recently jumped to T-8 so this is mostly tested with T-6. It seems to make some difference but not by much, maybe it's a nuance that requires a bit of practice.

No, that is only if you launch patrol fighters before the enemy launches catapult fighters or while they're catapulting. If the catapult fighters are already up then it's no use, just a waste of fighters.

Players
38 posts
On 7/11/2019 at 6:05 PM, Filipin00 said:

You can't do that since 0.8.4 nerf to speed boost. T10 fighters will catch you.

[UAC]
Players
659 posts
2,215 battles
19 hours ago, s73r01d said:

You can't do that since 0.8.4 nerf to speed boost. T10 fighters will catch you.

Umm...I could

can't remember if it were tier 10 fighters or not but I actually could outrun them.