You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
ZealousStrategist

Karma/Report - mechanic - discussion

12 comments in this topic

[BOOBY]
Players
21 posts
4,523 battles

Prelude

I was thinking of where to put this post under, but since it is a part of the gameplay (in a way) I decided to put it here. :Smile_Default:

There is a post about a similar subject, but as I find it unhelpful, I have turned to creating this post in the hopes of finding a better answer to it.

The reason I started this topic, is because I noticed that the player base is starting to report others a lot more then usual.

Topic-start

The Karma/Report mechanic is the score of "karma points" that show at your profile.

If player compliments you it goes up, and if a player reports you it goes down.

It is basically a shield from a report.

So long a player has a karma score of 1+ a report cannot have a high effect on your account/you.

A high effect as in bans or the sort.

Now you may be trying to ask me, how am I sure of ppl starting to report others more then usual, and the answer is that I am not 100% sure.

But as my clan mate whom I use to play with frequently is getting bans to chat frequently (while he doesn't chat often without the ban), and as I have noticed my karma counter going down recently I have decided to see if others had a similar problem and found out that they in fact do, which is why I have concluded that there had to be a rise in the reports.

Ultimately only WG can know for sure if there had been a rise in the reporting of players, or not, and it would be nice if someone from WG could confirm this for us.

Now back to the problem at hand.

One common problem in Wot (an unhealthy community example) is the player base. More specifically, the roasting and reporting of others.

Or in more common terms, an unhealthy community.

It is within reason to speculate that if things do not take a turn for the better, that the community we have know can and probably will become similar to the wot community which is not good, as eventually the player community will be filled with nothing but cancerous elements who can only contribute to further destroying the community and the player base.

You may be wondering at this point. How are the karma mechanic and the health of the community are related?

The answer lies in the fact that players are more prone to reporting someone who irritates them and has become a vent for their rage from a losing game (or something similar), rather then compliment a player who tries to help the team in any way.

The main reason for that is that most ppl are simply too lazy to go to the team tab and go trough the "process" of complimenting someone, then they are to went their anger by reporting someone.

A simple matter of gain. (as when reporting they gain the satisfaction of "putting someone in their place", where as complimenting can only leave them with hope that they will be complimented in a similar way in the future)

In conclusion so long as the ratio of the ppl who report/ppl who "compliment" is in favor of the ones who report, this community is in a "passive" state of danger from becoming unhealthy.

To conclude

To conclude, the karma system could use a few "tweaks" to better do its job.

I believe that by making the compliments more accessible for players to use, that that would drastically increase the amount of players who would actually press it.

Also please do put your opinions and solutions to this problem in the replies (if you want).:fish_aqua:

• Boring 1

[XTREM]
[XTREM]
Players
1,584 posts
13,503 battles

Actually, I sometimes think this whole karma system needs to be scrapped entirely. 

• Cool 6

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
13,774 posts
19,465 battles

Since Karma doesn't actually do anything useful there is no point in tweaking it. In fact there is no point in its existence at all.

• Cool 6

Players
2,002 posts
13,049 battles

I did not notice any changes in number of reports. My karma stays the same, veeery slowly going up. Maybe your clan mate is the one to blame for increase in reports against you? If he makes ppl mad with his toxic behavior in chat (and he has to be to get frequent chat bans from the other players) many will report both of you as a members of the same clan and division. 

Anyway, karma is meaningless venting thing. 

Players
340 posts
612 battles
Vor 37 Minuten, DariusJacek sagte:

I did not notice any changes in number of reports.

Me neither, still going up at least 2 or 3 on average each day I play :Smile_trollface:

karma.png.7fb05437375fdb25774a09e37dbdcae8.png

Can only repeat it.. bury it or make it usefull, WG..

Am 19.4.2019 um 22:26, rotten_torpedo sagte:

Purpose would be interesting as long as it has no direct influence into matches.

Might be a flag for 100,250,500,1000 karma-points that gives some small extra credits or exp.

if people tend to go for that (balanced) extra, they might watch their chat a bit more and this might get a bit of toxic behavior out of games. Sure not overall, but every little bit is a step into a good direction.

I could also imagine a single-game bonus for positive karmapoints after a game (a plus of 5% exp or credits or whatever) if one receives a positive karma from his own team (own because enemy might give negative points out of anger if sb performed well).

there is some potential to slightly manipulate behavior ingame in a positive way.. :etc_hide_turtle:

• Cool 1

Players
1,619 posts
18,177 battles

In relation to karma I have not actually noticed any real changes in how people behave my karma is probably close to 500 now and slowly rising, although of course there are always those people who report for what ever reason. 

The thing about karma is it's mainly a vent a way to show your displeasure at someone. If there was some sort of reward for high karma or a way to trade it for a useful resource, then that would be great but as it is it doesn't matter if I have 500 or 0 it isn't of any value. 

In relation to the state of players in game, I have noticed the general attitude of players is more negative, there is much less friendly chat or polite conversation, as for why that is I have my own theories but maybe it's just the player base is changing. 

• Cool 1

Players
923 posts
13,160 battles

Honestly I'd be happier with zero karma, then I'd never see the spite reporting. The burning injustice of it!

And what's the point of reporting a bad player for bad playing if they have no positive karma to lose? The mechanism is a bad joke.

• Funny 1

[POP]
Beta Tester
186 posts
9,029 battles
15 hours ago, ZealousStrategist said:

It is basically a shield from a report.

So long a player has a karma score of 1+ a report cannot have a high effect on your account/you.

A high effect as in bans or the sort.

I don't think it works that way. AFAIK positive karma does nothing to shield you from punishment, and zero karma does nothing to make you more likely to receive punishment. Besides, only report function that is even semiproven to lead to any kind of punishment is "misbehaviour in chat" and even then it's just a chatban.

[BOOBY]
Players
21 posts
4,523 battles
39 minutes ago, MixuS said:

I don't think it works that way. AFAIK positive karma does nothing to shield you from punishment, and zero karma does nothing to make you more likely to receive punishment. Besides, only report function that is even semiproven to lead to any kind of punishment is "misbehaviour in chat" and even then it's just a chatban.

I am 100% sure that my karma has been going down. Which is why I assumed that I was getting reported.

But I have never received a ban for anything, so I assumed that the karma was protecting me from that.

[ROT8]
[ROT8]
Beta Tester
108 posts
5,011 battles

The karma system is a waste of time.

I am currently on 5 which is about average for me.

I don't usually use chat in game (unless there is a proper potato on my team) but I tend to be reported.

I think it's maybe as I play dd's a lot and I will ignore the requests at beginning of the game to rush to the cap as there are enemy radars.

[POP]
Beta Tester
186 posts
9,029 battles
44 minutes ago, ZealousStrategist said:

I am 100% sure that my karma has been going down. Which is why I assumed that I was getting reported.

But I have never received a ban for anything, so I assumed that the karma was protecting me from that.

I went from about 30 to 5 in couple of weeks earlier this year and I have never faced any other punishment than being pink due to torpedo related accidents. Now I'm at 25, was again 30 a week ago but it seems that WoWS is going through some kind of negativity phase yet again.

• Cool 1