Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Ace42X

Online (hopefully free) gunnery resources?

8 comments in this topic

Players
312 posts

Whilst reading about the game's Detonation mechanics, it occurred to me I have no idea where the magazines are located on each ship (and hull variant).
The WG wiki says it's viewable in the port's armour viewer – but this does not seem to be the case as far as I can tell.

Are there any sites with the locations mapped out available?

Also, I was wondering if there's a site similar to WOTinspector.com that would help determine penetrability for different ships under different conditions?
I found https://mustanghx.github.io/ship_ap_calculator/ with Google, but it seems very features-light - the information isn't laid out very clearly, and seems to ignore key mechanics (overmatch, how different layers of armour interact, etc - and no explanation as to how the data impacts over-pen mechanics, etc).

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
2,090 posts
8,436 battles

1280px-Iowa_16_inch_Gun-EN.svg.png

This is mostly the case for all warships (and as far as we know it is modelled ingame, ergo the magazine hitbox is beneath the turrets).

[LADA]
Players
544 posts
8,429 battles

Just a note that many warships have different magazines for different munitions. 

A BB might have a magazine over several decks - with ammunition stored lowest and the propellant charges stored the next deck up and so on. Most of the time the magazine would be as pictured above - in line with the turret - to allow hoisting of shells up from the magazine to the guns as quickly as possible. 

Torpedoes would be stored in their own distinct magazine usually - not currently modelled in WOWS.

Different navies had slightly different layouts but as a rule the citadel below the main turret armament is usually where a detonation 'shot' will be landed.

Players
312 posts

Unfortunately this information's a bit too vague if not simply innaccurate.

LWM's investigation into the subject is more informative:
I thought most ammunition and powder magazines were about the size of one of the ship's turrets and tucked snuggly down behind the base of the barbettes closer towards the ship's center.  To hear people go on about how difficult a shot it would be to hit them reliably, you can imagine my surprise to see the variety out there.  Some ships do have tiny magazines.  Others have magazines that span a third of the length of the ship (or more!).  It's no wonder certain ships seem to pop like overripe zits when you tickle them with even small caliber HE fire on their extremities.
https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/125532-fun-and-engaging-science-part-one/

The images give us a much more valuable idea where the magazines are in terms of depth and positioning - but they're far from exhaustive.

I don't have access to the paid content on gamemodels3D.com so can't verify whether or not the information there is substantial enough to resolve my questions, let alone justify whatever the cost of registering an account is.

[BLITZ]
Players
2,819 posts
10,972 battles
13 minutes ago, Ace42X said:

[...]whatever the cost of registering an account is.

I think it was five USD. But it's been a while.

Players
312 posts
3 minutes ago, B0Tato said:

I think it was five USD. But it's been a while.

You've got an account?

Does the site contain enough information on it to reliably pinpoint vulnerable hitboxes (ammo rack specifically)?
Is there much in the way of usable armour / penetration info (anything better than the port-viewer)?

Is there much there that justifies the cost (because WOTInspector's got a ton of features which are valuable, not sure that gamemodels does)?  I'm guessing it doesn't do simulated shots?

[BLITZ]
Players
2,819 posts
10,972 battles
8 minutes ago, Ace42X said:

You've got an account?

Does the site contain enough information on it to reliably pinpoint vulnerable hitboxes (ammo rack specifically)?
Is there much in the way of usable armour / penetration info (anything better than the port-viewer)?

Is there much there that justifies the cost (because WOTInspector's got a ton of features which are valuable, not sure that gamemodels does)?  I'm guessing it doesn't do simulated shots?

I don't think you can test if you can "force" detonations. There's probably to much gamble (rng) involved and there are signal flags.

However, the only difference a "premium" account on gamemodels3D offers is access to ships higher than tier seven and all data of the upcoming update.

• Cool 1

Players
312 posts
1 hour ago, B0Tato said:

I don't think you can justify if you can "force" detonations. There's probably to much gamble (rng) involved and there are signal flags.

However, the only difference a "premium" account on gamemodels3D offers is access to ships higher than tier seven and all data of the upcoming update.

With the prevalence of flags eliminating dets, it's certainly not reliable in any meaningful sense, let alone trying to park an AP squarely in one.  However, the variance LWM was seeing in her tests suggests - especially in the case of torps - that it is something which can yield tangible results.

Thanks for the info.  Looks really handy - even the armour viewer is useful, in that it (sort of - it has trouble with some angles) attempts to give you effective armour at an angle - which can be used to get an idea about pen.  Might even stump up the cash for a premium account at some point.

Addendum:  Partly down to sheer coincidence, partly down to LWM's explanation of the mechanics and thus me spamming more HE, I just landed my first devastating strike in god knows how long.  Hah!

Edited by Ace42X
Addendum

Sign in to follow this