Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Myrmidon19

Catapult Fighters

15 comments in this topic

[NORKS]
Players
91 posts

I just started using my first ship that is capable of mounting these (A tier 5 German cruiser). I seemingly launch 2x fighters per consumable. I'm wondering how good they are but also.... If enemy aircraft can't actually shoot these planes and only attack ships aren't they surely quite defenseless?

[TWS]
Players
467 posts
4,658 battles

They need work, effective at times, not at others, but you're about to find out that this simple question regarding usefulness of fighters will lead to a vitriolic onslaught from the two entrenched camps of the CV rework.

Honest answer, a good CV player can apparently ignore your fighers, a poor one will get his sdqn melted. There's a 1pt captain skill that gives you an extra fighter, not sure I've found it to be a great improvement.

• Cool 3

[BHSFL]
Players
3,398 posts
20 minutes ago, Myrmidon19 said:

I just started using my first ship that is capable of mounting these (A tier 5 German cruiser). I seemingly launch 2x fighters per consumable. I'm wondering how good they are but also.... If enemy aircraft can't actually shoot these planes and only attack ships aren't they surely quite defenseless?

Yes defenseless when under attack ( if they could not escape it being deployed/getting aggro  ) but fighter consumables can only shoot the amount of aircraft similar to their own number of aircraft.

So in your example they would be able to kill 2 aircraft in the attacking squadron. It works 1:1 attacker/enemy losses, they cannot shoot more aircraft then the number of aircraft they have themselves.  Your fighters can also be shot down by enemy CV fighter consumables or enemy ship AA.

Some higher tier CV have 10 aircraft in a squadron, but higher tier ships get more ship borne fighters in the consumable too. plus you can skill into that with +1 fighter.....but never enough to kill more then 50 % of a full attacking squadron....the rest is really up to your AA (skills+module)

When faced with a ship that uses a fighter consumable you have a few options as CV player  : wait for it to run out of time, make your own fighters engage the ship fighters ( no matter who won both disengage after engaging ) so the protection is removed, or simply fly through them taking the losses.

That said with decent AA and good timing you can make sure no CV aircraft return, prompting that CV player to pick another, easier target for the next attack.

• Cool 1

[NORKS]
Players
91 posts
6 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

Yes defenseless when under attack ( if they could not escape it being deployed/getting aggro  ) but fighter consumables can only shoot the amount of aircraft similar to their own number of aircraft.

So in your example they would be able to kill 2 aircraft in the attacking squadron. It works 1:1 attacker/enemy losses, they cannot shoot more aircraft then the number of aircraft they have themselves.  Your fighters can also be shot down by enemy CV fighter consumables or enemy ship AA.

When faced with a ship that uses a fighter consumable you have a few options as CV player  : wait for it to run out of time, make your own fighters engage the ship fighters ( no matter who won both disengage after engaging ) so the protection is removed, or simply fly through them taking the losses.

Ah christ that sounds simplistic as hell :/ so if I get swarmed by like 8 aircraft, I essentially trade my 2 plane "squadron" for 2 of theirs in a simple +/- mitigator? 

[BHSFL]
Players
3,398 posts
5 minutes ago, Myrmidon19 said:

Ah christ that sounds simplistic as hell :/ so if I get swarmed by like 8 aircraft, I essentially trade my 2 plane "squadron" for 2 of theirs in a simple +/- mitigator? 

Yep...you kill 2 and 6 remain for your AA to try to kill....

• Cool 1

[NORKS]
Players
91 posts
1 minute ago, Beastofwar said:

Yep...you kill 2 and 6 remain for your AA to kill.....if it can.

Hmmm not sure I like that.... For the space and effort it takes to launch aircraft from a cruiser why not just have extra AA? :/ bah. I was really excited about these.

[BHSFL]
Players
3,398 posts
6 minutes ago, Myrmidon19 said:

Hmmm not sure I like that.... For the space and effort it takes to launch aircraft from a cruiser why not just have extra AA? :/ bah. I was really excited about these.

It is however more effective then it seems as AA alternates damage over aircraft in the whole squadron. The fewer they are, the more AA damage each aircraft takes per time unit so will go down faster.

That is also why not full squadrons ( say 2-3 aircraft in it ) often won't even make it to drop weapons on you. So never believe the "infinite aircraft respawn" nonsense. It is about 1 aircraft per minute when skilled and moduled into it. If that CV player sends  3 respawned planes up intead of a full squadron, they will just vaporize.

• Cool 2

[_FK_]
Players
213 posts
5,479 battles

Also, if you get in a no-cv game, you can use your fighter to spot ships over islands.

It is limited in range, but still, very useful sometimes.

• Cool 2

[BHSFL]
Players
3,398 posts
Just now, Zigiran said:

Also, if you get in a no-cv game, you can use your fighter to spot ships over islands.

It is limited in range, but still, very useful sometimes.

Yes but he does not need the 1 point skill then...only the choice spotter plane/fighter plane/hydro if there is a choice.

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
2,088 posts
8,430 battles
20 minutes ago, Myrmidon19 said:

It is a pretty nice skill to have, while they are weird at times they do massively enhance the AA capabilites of ships that has crap base AA (like the Königsberg). Basically they are your strongest AA tool provided you throw them up in advance before the strike comes. And as Zigiran says, using them to spot over islands give you a lot of valuable information. 

Going for the extra fighter skill is not something I would recommend however, there are much better 1 point skills (priority target is basically a no brainer on almost every ship). If you want to improve the AA on the Königsberg you need skills like basic firing training, but even that is not something I would recommend. Improving your guns or survivability is top priority, air strikes are just something you have to live with.

• Cool 1

[-TPF-]
Players
3,826 posts
15,734 battles

Bear in mind that when you get to the German Tier VII cruiser Yorck you can have fighters and DFAA, so it's a good skill to master. Any competent CV will still F key away, but at least you have some AA tools. 

• Cool 1

[TOXIC]
Players
4,657 posts
11,746 battles
2 hours ago, invicta2012 said:

Bear in mind that when you get to the German Tier VII cruiser Yorck you can have fighters and DFAA, so it's a good skill to master. Any competent CV will still F key away, but at least you have some AA tools. 

Nowadays when you press F within any reasonable AA bubble, that's mostly to pay respects to your brave pilots :P

• Funny 1

[NORKS]
Players
91 posts

Cheers for the help guys much appreciated. I've used them a couple of times tonight. One more question, I'm familiar with Spotting Aircraft and if I ever know I'm about to imminently die I will always launch my Spot Plane so it can be of some sue to others on the map after my demise. Does the same principle apply to my 2 Catapult Fighters? Would they just circle around my destroyed ship and provide passive cover/support to any friendly ships that are near my corpse?

Players
123 posts
306 battles
Vor 7 Minuten, Myrmidon19 sagte:

Cheers for the help guys much appreciated. I've used them a couple of times tonight. One more question, I'm familiar with Spotting Aircraft and if I ever know I'm about to imminently die I will always launch my Spot Plane so it can be of some sue to others on the map after my demise. Does the same principle apply to my 2 Catapult Fighters? Would they just circle around my destroyed ship and provide passive cover/support to any friendly ships that are near my corpse?

Yes they will circle the area where you sunk and can be a bit of a pain therefore.

But only for their duration time or until they are engaged.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this