14 comments in this topic

[WITCH]
Players
139 posts
4,403 battles

I've been playing 3 months now, and am still mostly below average to average, with a few ship exceptions. As far as I can see from stats, win rate seems to very much affect your score. I can have some influence over that stat, but as an average player, I cannot carry a game, so consequently my win rate is low, 42% I had 10 straight defeats yesterday, and then 6 wins! I score some defeats had me as the best player on the team, but the win rate still takes a hit!

Any hints and tips to improve win rate?

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
13,036 battles
21 minutes ago, natswright said:

As far as I can see from stats, win rate seems to very much affect your score.

It's the other way around. Good performance leads to higher winrate and is generally (not always) reflected with higher scores.

I can't give tailored advice, but I see you're mostly playing cruisers and destroyers and you have a considerably low survival rate. Without knowing more I'd guess you are too aggressive and as a consequence get sunk early. I'd recommend playing a bit more cautious and defensively and see how that turns out for you.

In destroyers that would typically mean you only move up to the very edge of a cap rather than moving deeper in and if you get spotted, leave the cap and try to get unspotted (many DDs make the mistake of just smoking up and staying, which tends to lead to catching blind torps into the smoke or a radar ship moving closer to radar you for their team to shoot up). In CV games in particular, stick closer to allied cruisers at the start as CVs like to scout at the start and any DD too far away from allies is convenient free damage.

In cruisers you need to keep one eye glued to your minimap (enlarge it for easier reference if you haven't already) to make sure nothing has your broadside and to know how many enemy ships you're dealing with. Sometimes disgression is the better part of valour and you just need to stop shooting and skedaddle the hell out until it's saver to engage the enemy again. Many cruiser players make the mistake of just keeping up firing at the enemy even though they've got more than one ship firing back at them, which is hardly ever going to end in their favour.

• Cool 2

[TTTX]
1,559 posts
14,545 battles

I am aware it has been mentioned in several threads but a good way to improve your WR is to watch videos.

Secondly, what I used to do, I would find people at the top of the leaderboards for ships that I wanted to play better and I would PM them for advice. Some of them were kind enough to agree to play some games with me and give me hands-on feedback.

But before that, increase your minimap to its maximum size, turn on last known positions of ships and work on improving your general awareness. Know where enemies are and plan ahead and you will undoubtedly make significant gains.

• Cool 2

[2PTS]
Players
77 posts
35,881 battles

LOLs well i cant improve mine stattistically is impossible lols to many battles :P to improve a win rate by 1% i have to have more than 235 staright wins for example lols

but with the ammount of battles you have is prety easy depends ofc if you found the ships you enjoy playing or your play style now if you just grind ships just to have everything in port like i do for example well obviously you pay the price and depends ofc if you play all modes for example i cant play storm mode hurts my eyesight iam a bit old lols ...... cyclone not fun i make sure iam dead before visibility radius decreases to 8kms and epicenter well no comments :P

well you want you stats improved dont try stuff in randoms deifferent setup etc but in coop or in the trianing room etc something i dont do as well stick to a few battles per day in randoms as well if you play a lot with friends divisions or with your clan members is easier to know your play styles and proceed in randoms for stas etc therefore depends what you want to do  lols  i rarely play coop i think i have arround 120 battle in totala and most was at the start of my gamming learning the game tier1 to tier4 ships lols now i have 149 ships in port 14 tier10 ships all grinded the hard way ahahahahha

which makes you suffer LOL interms of stats that is ahahhaha

Players
628 posts
2,129 battles

Go back to basics, drop down a few tiers and use that time in developing good Commanders and concentrating on survival and positioning.  Concentrate on contributing to the end of the game, DD's don't need to die early in suicide capping, CA's can also burn down the enemy and they don't need to come out from behind islands to do it. Just basic stuff. Also don't flog a dead horse, if you find a class or particular ship doesn't connect with you move on, but sideways more than upwards, and investigate other nations. Above all remember you can never win the game WoWs, so having fun by winning battles at a tier or in a class of ship that suits you is the main consideration.

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
5,419 posts
13,323 battles
8 hours ago, natswright said:

What others have said, but I would also suggest not getting *too* hung up on WR - the 'point' of the game is not to achieve 'x' WR; rather, use it as a metric (along with others) to assess how you're progressing.

BTW if it hasn't been mentioned already, make sure you're playing all the classes (but not at too high a tier, necessarily) - even if you have a 'main' class, it's worthwhile to get at least vaguely proficient in the others too, as it'll give you a much better handle on what the various classes are trying to do to you.

• Cool 1

[WITCH]
Players
139 posts
4,403 battles
12 hours ago, Verblonde said:

What others have said, but I would also suggest not getting *too* hung up on WR - the 'point' of the game is not to achieve 'x' WR; rather, use it as a metric (along with others) to assess how you're progressing.

BTW if it hasn't been mentioned already, make sure you're playing all the classes (but not at too high a tier, necessarily) - even if you have a 'main' class, it's worthwhile to get at least vaguely proficient in the others too, as it'll give you a much better handle on what the various classes are trying to do to you.

Thanks,  I do play all the classes!!

• Cool 1

[WITCH]
Players
139 posts
4,403 battles
16 hours ago, 250swb said:

Go back to basics, drop down a few tiers and use that time in developing good Commanders and concentrating on survival and positioning.  Concentrate on contributing to the end of the game, DD's don't need to die early in suicide capping, CA's can also burn down the enemy and they don't need to come out from behind islands to do it. Just basic stuff. Also don't flog a dead horse, if you find a class or particular ship doesn't connect with you move on, but sideways more than upwards, and investigate other nations. Above all remember you can never win the game WoWs, so having fun by winning battles at a tier or in a class of ship that suits you is the main consideration.

Thats exctly what I did, stayed at tier 7 or below, and my survival rate went up and I was usually in the top 5 on the team. Still only one victory vs 5 defeats, but I had fun!

[AAO]
Players
1,546 posts
20,645 battles
14 minutes ago, natswright said:

Thats exctly what I did, stayed at tier 7 or below, and my survival rate went up and I was usually in the top 5 on the team. Still only one victory vs 5 defeats, but I had fun!

The fun part is the most important one :)

If you have a game (of a few) that you think is a good illustration you can also put up a replay or stream-recording for us to take a look at.

Sure, hindsight is 20/20, but starting from an actual game might be helpful since otherwise we're restricted to guesswork and pretty general advice.

[XTREM]
[XTREM]
Players
1,575 posts
13,500 battles

Another bit of advice would be to work on situational awareness in a broad sense.

What I mean is, keeping an eye on the flow of the battle, paying attention to things like the map and the points counter. Where is the enemy and what are they doing? What about the caps? Are we winning on points, or do we/I have to try something? Or maybe I should do nothing, and stay here. Maybe I should run away. 

Knowing when to do what - when to push, when to camp, when to kite. That goes a long way to helping you win, and having good situational awareness helps you make the right choices.

Something else, but not really related... try to avoid rushing straight out into enemy crossfires if you can avoid it. :Smile_bajan2:

Too may people do this and then REEE because you didn't suicide with them. Logic.

• Cool 2

[WITCH]
Players
139 posts
4,403 battles
On 6/20/2019 at 11:49 AM, rnat said:

The fun part is the most important one :)

If you have a game (of a few) that you think is a good illustration you can also put up a replay or stream-recording for us to take a look at.

Sure, hindsight is 20/20, but starting from an actual game might be helpful since otherwise we're restricted to guesswork and pretty general advice.

I have some on youtube already, but they tend to be my better ones lol, (youtube.com/natswright) I'll be uploading more soon. I also played with a friend last night who is better than me who gave me some great tips!

• Cool 1

[IDDQD]
Alpha Tester
3,665 posts
23,219 battles
V 19. 6. 2019 v 15:20 natswright řekl/a:

Check my signature, join up and enjoy:Smile_honoring:
It is really fine to see people who wants be better.

[DUXTR]
Alpha Tester
933 posts

Back when I played wot, I used to tell people who wanted to improve their winratio or stats for that matter 1 thing.

That 1 thing is survive longer. The longer u are alive the longer your guns are in action, and u keep making an impact for your team, being shooting or spotting.

Knowing when to leave a flank is sadly very important, specially in wows were stuff takes longer time to move.

And just accept that no matter what u do, u will have days were u can't get a win even if they threw it after your team.

And as time will go u learn to prioritise targets of importance instead of farming.

• Cool 1