Flandre Bug Read more... ×
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
22cm

Drydock: Kremlin

28 comments in this topic

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
5,538 posts
26,146 battles

https://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/general-news/dry-dock-kremlin/

"World of Warships is the largest virtual shipyard in the world. The quality of the work performed by our artists improves each year, and the requirements for the accuracy of the models they create intensify respectively.

Unfortunately, the in-game camera doesn't reveal all the details and beauty of their creations. So, for those who love ships and their histories, we're launching the new Dry Dock series! Within, you'll be able to witness the refined beauty of our in-game models, and duly appreciate the immaculate details of the various objects on their decks.

Our first subject is Soviet battleship flag_Russia_6ce701e1c2f2ac3909a68a0a7b23normal_57a69d35d27f32ad4c2ad55e76f684f47X Kremlin. Take a look at the pinnacle of our latest branch from a different perspective in the first episode of Dry Dock! What ships would you like to see in future episodes? Share your comments and let us know under the video on our official YouTube channel!"

FTWY!

Way to start this drydock crap with a papership! :Smile_veryhappy:

• Funny 8

[LADA]
Players
619 posts
9,059 battles

I think its got to the point where WG actually believes their own BS. After all, glorious Soviet Navy never loses to anything, da?*

*Aside from chronic incompetence at most levels, purges of anyone with initiative, horrendous safety record, issues with morale, woeful maintenance, limited industrial capacity for naval technology, outdated strategies, constant political interference, funding always being diverted to other arms, poor training, terrible working conditions and the seeming inability to field a modern surface fleet without it crashing into things, sinking, breaking down or blowing itself up at regular intervals from 1917 to the present.

But they *could* have been the envy of every naval power had they got all the above ironed out. ......Stop laughing at the back there.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 14

[LEGIO]
[LEGIO]
Players
639 posts
9,750 battles

Why is it so bad with paperships? Personally so do I love them. A chance to see how different projects actually would look like. Great job wg 💓

• Cool 6

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
5,538 posts
26,146 battles
12 minutes ago, darkstar73 said:

A chance to see how different projects actually would look like.

You must be crazy. Really.

• Boring 1
  • Bad 4

[BAD-A]
Players
645 posts
9,368 battles
1 hour ago, Gvozdika said:

I think its got to the point where WG actually believes their own BS. After all, glorious Soviet Navy never loses to anything, da?*

*Aside from chronic incompetence at most levels, purges of anyone with initiative, horrendous safety record, issues with morale, woeful maintenance, limited industrial capacity for naval technology, outdated strategies, constant political interference, funding always being diverted to other arms, poor training, terrible working conditions and the seeming inability to field a modern surface fleet without it crashing into things, sinking, breaking down or blowing itself up at regular intervals from 1917 to the present.

But they *could* have been the envy of every naval power had they got all the above ironed out. ......Stop laughing at the back there.

lol!  Whereas it was definitely true in the past, the current state of affairs appears much improved and the new stuff they have coming on stream looks pretty good too.

[LADA]
Players
619 posts
9,059 battles
27 minutes ago, MyopicHedgehog said:

lol!  Whereas it was definitely true in the past, the current state of affairs appears much improved and the new stuff they have coming on stream looks pretty good too.

Hmmm....

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46030113

'On 30 October 2018, Admiral Kuznetsov was damaged when Russia’s biggest floating dry dock, the PD-50, sank and one of the dock's 70-ton cranes crashed onto the ship's flight deck leaving behind a 5-meter gash. One person was reported missing and four injured as the dry dock sank in Kola Bay. Admiral Kuznetsov was in the process of being removed from the dock when the accident happened, and was towed to a nearby yard after the accident.'

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/russian-navy-ship-crash-black-sea-liman-istanbul-coast-livestock-vessel-a7705401.html

'27 April 2017 - Russian spy ship Liman sank off the Turkish coast, 29 km from Kilyos, after colliding with a freighter carrying livestock in fog. All 78 crew members were rescued'

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/navy-ships/a15842665/russian-navy-exercise-submarine-fire/

Jan 2018 - Video of what the Russian government claims is merely an “exercise” appears to show a submarine on fire. According to Russia’s Pacific Fleet, the incident was part of “damage control exercises.” The video shows five submarines tied up at Vladivostok, with a raging fire close to the stern of one.

Then of course how could we forget the by-now legendary 'Russian Killer Missiles of waywardness'. So long as the target happens to be about twenty feet in front of said vessel.

1344464922_giphy1.gif.dbf4c514736e697972d1bd81c72ed97f.gif

Put it this way - they still have some way to go....

• Funny 7

[NWP]
Players
1,434 posts
12,223 battles

Sorry guys, you are off topic.

It is not about paper or real ships.

It is not about if Soviet ships were any good.

2 hours ago, 22cm said:

Within, you'll be able to witness the refined beauty of our in-game models, and duly appreciate the immaculate details of the various objects on their decks.

It is about how good of a job the modelers and the artists of WG did in producing the models of the game.

Do you or you don't like the work these people have done in modeling the ships? 

I do.

Regards

Saltface

PS I also know how hard it is to model this kind of stuff

• Cool 7
  • Boring 2

[-AP-]
Players
2,844 posts
6,892 battles

Im all for paper ships if they provide interesting gameplay but... Do we really need to cover the glorious history of ships that never even existed?

• Cool 5

[LADA]
Players
619 posts
9,059 battles

17 minutes ago, Saltface said:

Sorry guys, you are off topic.

It is not about paper or real ships.

It is not about if Soviet ships were any good.

It is about how good of a job the modelers and the artists of WG did in producing the models of the game.

Do you or you don't like the work these people have done in modeling the ships? 

I do.

Regards

Saltface

PS I also know how hard it is to model this kind of stuff

Not quite off-topic.

WG have been doing their level best to justify the Soviet BB line to a generally cynical bunch like us forumites and to be honest the novelty is wearing off. We're getting articles on the 'victories' of the Soviet Navy in WW2 (see Kuznetsov article). The developer diaries from last month waxed lyrical about Soviet BBs being the 'cream' if only they were built. 

This video series is saying how HISTORICALLY ACCURATE their models are - yet the starting video is of a ship that didn't exist. It is a complete unknown outside of a few Russian archives. You can't in all honesty claim to 'recreate' something that didn't exist in the first place.

It's a real shame because they have a whole range of fantastic ship models of iconic subjects to show off. The latest Yamato one for example is superb and a great improvement over the previous one. The Hood is one of my favourites in capturing the lines of the real thing perfectly. For all my complaints and quibbles about this game - the ship models are great overall, they look fantastic.

Just please WG - put bit less effort into padding out history for it's own sake and leave the Soviet fanboy act out of it.

• Cool 6

[NWP]
Players
1,434 posts
12,223 battles
4 minutes ago, Gvozdika said:

Just please WG - put bit less effort into padding out history for it's own sake and leave the Soviet fanboy act out of it.

No one, I repeat no one can not feel proud of their History.

Their History is that of the Soviet Union and they are proud of it.

I am Greek and I am proud of my History.

Lets leave this out of our discussion.

I liked this comment of yours

6 minutes ago, Gvozdika said:

The latest Yamato one for example is superb and a great improvement over the previous one. The Hood is one of my favourites in capturing the lines of the real thing perfectly. For all my complaints and quibbles about this game - the ship models are great overall, they look fantastic.

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1

Players
6,119 posts

The recent US Navy safety record does not seem much better, TBH. Nor am I actually convinced the current US shipbuilding standards are much better than Russian ones, our perception of US technological prowess is kind of dated. Within the time period WoWS covers I would expect the US ships to be very good against their rivals, better than British ships, certainly better than Soviet ships and at least on par with German and Japanese ships. About French ships can't say much as they pretty much were scuttled...

• Cool 2

[LADA]
Players
619 posts
9,059 battles
2 minutes ago, Saltface said:

Their History is that of the Soviet Union and they are proud of it.

I am Greek and I am proud of my History.

Lets leave this out of our discussion.

Can you however be proud of something you don't have?

Could I for example be proud of the UK successfully landing on the Moon? Could the French be proud of defeating Germany in 1940? 

I'm not being facetious here by the way. As someone who studies history (aviation primarily, but naval does come into it) I find it important not to allow current feelings of nationalism, pride or simply a tendency to forget mistakes to colour our view of the past. That is where dangers lie - if we simply choose to change or 'modify' our history because it doesn't align with what we think it should say. 

However you are right and have made your point. I will end this line of discussion.

• Cool 6

Players
7,517 posts
245 battles

Too be honest the models are great the amount of time and effort it takes to create each little object plus the actual hull and beyond must be bloody time consuming, especially since im modelling a custom star destroyer of my own design and have to make all the turrets and their purposes plus all the little details like panelling, panels, hatches, engines, etc.

Sure the ships may not of existed but then this is mostly about the models. Although making up history is dangerous though as it can give a warped preception of reality and when humans get one bloody idea into their heads, good luck dislodging it.

Too be honest just go on sketchfab and search up the ships and you will view their models there.

• Cool 2

Players
78 posts
796 battles

Soviet or not it is a great looking ship. And let us be real here it most likely wouldn't matter which ship they would've done first there will always be somebody complaining. :Smile_coin:

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[BAD-A]
Players
645 posts
9,368 battles
1 hour ago, Gvozdika said:

Put it this way - they still have some way to go....

Of course they do, but compare to the US navy that can't avoid merchant ships...  The US Navy isn't exactly much better (if at all).  Then the poor old Royal Navy where the new ships (including Daring!) can't operate well in warm water... (and is a mere shadow of its former self)

Whilst I can admire the 3D modelling that has been done, it would probably have been best to stick to real ships to start with!

[LEGIO]
[LEGIO]
Players
639 posts
9,750 battles
2 hours ago, 22cm said:

You must be crazy. Really.

Why am i crazy? No need to be rude mate. Most of the paperships actually existed in different project or draft stages. If you look in the archives so will you find most of them there. If you hate paperships so much start play war thunder instead 😀 There they are historical. Now i will jump into bed and dream about Uss Ohio. Yes am crazy 🤘

• Cool 1

[LEGIO]
[LEGIO]
Players
639 posts
9,750 battles
9 minutes ago, PonyOnSteroids said:

Soviet or not it is a great looking ship. And let us be real here it most likely wouldn't matter which ship they would've done first there will always be somebody complaining. :Smile_coin:

Oh yes. Many whiners 😞 

[ALONE]
Players
1,418 posts
11,532 battles
46 minutes ago, Saltface said:

This is so wrong on so many levels. Of course many people have many reasons to be ashamed of what their ancestors did. Can't you really think of any examples? :cap_wander:

Also a 'history' is defined as set of facts that happened - but contemporary interests are filtering what we know of the past and invent fiction to replace the facts. Wargaming is so blatantly biased and nationalist that it is no longer funny. But what could go as "debatable, but possible" in WoT is not so easy when talking about warships. Trying to artificially invent heroic Soviet naval historiography is both sad and pathetic to anyone not raised in the Sovieto-Russian propaganda and knowing at least a bit about how naval issues really looked like in the Soviet Union before late 1950s. 

• Cool 1

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
5,538 posts
26,146 battles

Now, what is all this bulshit?

They talk about history and accuracy of details and first ship they start with is the invented Kremlin crap? With an armored deck of 60 mm? When did the Russians ever build a single 60 mm armor piece?! Not only in the WW2, but in all their postwar history, when did they build a single meter of 60 mm naval armor?

Yamato or Iowa or Bismarck, biggest ever built, had less, but this invented Kremlin crapp, which," if it had been built, it would actually have been the cream of the world shipbuilding" must have 60, because it was the cream.

This kind of cream has a special color. Brownish.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[-NFG-]
[-NFG-]
Players
216 posts
7,605 battles

Turns out that in fact Gangut (pretty much the only real ship) was actually a furniture delivery van according to WG:

sideboard.thumb.jpg.132ef970c18fbac9349b5b0512fc1c5a.jpg

• Funny 4

[THESO]
Players
641 posts
12,740 battles
5 hours ago, EdiJo said:

Trying to artificially invent heroic Soviet naval historiography is both sad and pathetic to anyone not raised in the Sovieto-Russian propaganda and knowing at least a bit about how naval issues really looked like in the Soviet Union before late 1950s.

I haven't been raised in Russo-Soviet propaganda, yet I don't find anything particularly pathetic in WG's affection to highly speculative Soviet designs. 

It's a Russian company, with a lot of the key people being Russian. Also, more importantly, Russians might be the biggest single nationality in the player base? If so, and if the Russian players are interested to see more Soviet paper ships, that's exactly what they're going to get. And I can very well understand the Russians being fascinated about what could've been, had the Soviet Union had both the resources and the incentive to invest more in its navy. 

On a personal level, I'm aware that I'm playing a computer game and not watching the History Channel. As long as the ships are balanced and the lines are interesting, I'm totally fine with them. Russian BB's are no exception -- they seem like a nice addition to the game, with a distinct playing style. 

I do understand the war history buffs' point of view, but I think they're a pretty small minority in the player base. 

• Cool 2

[NWP]
Players
1,434 posts
12,223 battles
5 hours ago, EdiJo said:

so wrong on so many levels. Of course many people have many reasons to be ashamed of what their ancestors did. Can't you really think of any examples? 

I think, as I said in my post on this thread, that the subject is the quality of work of the modelers and artists working on this game.

I will state again that I like their work.

History in regard to national pride or “shame” for that matter is another ball game. I would think that you will agree with me that this is hardly the place for such a discussion.

Is the Kremlin a paper ship? Yes it is. Does that affect the graphics design? No it doesn’t.

One asks why they chose this one to present first? Maybe because they think it is their best model. Maybe because they are Russians. Maybe because .... reasons.

The fact remains that they did a good job in modeling. 

Lets give credit where where credit is due. Not to mention that most of the young boys and girls that work in modeling were not born before the fall of the Soviet Union.

Regards

Saltface

• Cool 5

[CR33D]
[CR33D]
Players
3,180 posts
29,727 battles
8 hours ago, darkstar73 said:

Now i will jump into bed and dream about Uss Ohio.

Yup she is a nice looking ship not sure if she will fit at T10 tho

n01998.jpg

• Cool 1

[THESO]
Players
4,765 posts

Why are you ppl so negative? :cap_yes:

I consider myself a history enthusiast and undeveloped CCCP navy projects in the game don't bother me one bit. 

• Cool 3