You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
gustywinds

Kaga - knife edge balance

24 comments in this topic

Players
440 posts
5,436 battles

So, I’ve levelled the UK carriers but find Audacious disappointing ,  levelled US and Japanese and researched Midway and Haku but don’t have the credits to buy them yet so I thought I’d play my only premium carrier, Kaga, a bit to farm credits.

I have to say I have never come across a ship so affected by matchmaking.

At its own tier it is comfortable if unexciting compared to Shōkaku

Against T7 or worse, T6, it is a sealclubbing monster. You can slam 4 torps at a time into fat, slow turning BBs like New Mexico with ease. Swat DDs and bomb CA/CL without worry. Guaranteed top of group unless you are really unlucky or dumb.

At the other end of the scale, at T10, it’s useless. It’s T7 planes are just too weak and the super fast plane regen just provides more fodder for the AA cruisers and even “normal’ BBs. Up against a Kremlin it’s a joke.

But the really stupid thing is you can loose 100 planes, do 20k damage and still net 250k credits. In a lower game where you can actually kill things, 500k is possible.

But you get up tiered much more often than down. 

i won this thing in a box at Xmas, I would be very pissed off if I’d paid for it.

Whine over. New subject:

should I get Midway or Hakuryū when I do get the 28mil credits?

• Cool 3
  • Boring 2

Players
9,859 posts
11,573 battles
22 minutes ago, gustywinds said:

Whine over. New subject:

Both. And get 160k FXP and additional 10mil credits per CV to skip stock planes, especially for Midway:cap_tea:

Players
3,130 posts
10,613 battles

Please don't take my word for it as i have neither now (old CV player).

However, everyone in my Clan who plays the rework all points towards the Haka. 

AP bombs and better torps wins the day apparently. :cap_tea:

Surprised you haven't got the best CV tier for tier.  The Enterprise. 

• Cool 2

Players
9,859 posts
11,573 battles
3 minutes ago, Redcap375 said:

HE bombs b!tchslap everyone equally, with TiTs to follow and torpedo dud carpet for sweeping smokes.

AP bombs wreck cruisers and select few BBs, while flying Zao for rockets deliver balans to DDs and cruisers, 2x torps are 12/12 would torpedo run again.

[STARS]
[STARS]
Beta Tester
154 posts
16,191 battles
7 minutes ago, Redcap375 said:

Actually I founded personally the Lexington better than the Enterprise. Especially when uptiered, the planes (appear) to be stronger.

[BBMM]
Players
5,792 posts
7,356 battles
8 minutes ago, LeSnoet said:

Actually I founded personally the Lexington better than the Enterprise. Especially when uptiered, the planes (appear) to be stronger.

Might be so, but Enterprise has a lot more of them. So... Depending on what you do with your planes a bit. 

But the differences are there - Enterprise can attack a Lexington, since it has more planes that the Lexi defence. 

And it can also kill off a planted fighter protection from Lexi, while not vice-versa. 

I always am quite careful and never use the rocketplanes. 

Those seem to be better in Enterprise... but I wouldn't know. 

[STARS]
[STARS]
Beta Tester
154 posts
16,191 battles
7 minutes ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

Might be so, but Enterprise has a lot more of them. So... Depending on what you do with your planes a bit. 

But the differences are there - Enterprise can attack a Lexington, since it has more planes that the Lexi defence. 

And it can also kill off a planted fighter protection from Lexi, while not vice-versa. 

I always am quite careful and never use the rocketplanes. 

Those seem to be better in Enterprise... but I wouldn't know. 

I never attack red cv's, maybe in the endgame. But for me it is not a goal in itself.

Enterprise does have more planes, but to me the rocketplanes from the Lexi tend to strike harder (but that is due to its HVAR rockets). Tried the TiTs as well, HVAR's are more useful for opportunistic gameplay.

I think the Enterprise shines with its AP bombs 

@OP; Kaga is decent when has similar MM. When uptiered, just go for solo targets (except of course the famous historical Kremlin BB)

Players
3,308 posts
14,059 battles
59 minutes ago, gustywinds said:

So, I’ve levelled the UK carriers but find Audacious disappointing ,  levelled US and Japanese and researched Midway and Haku but don’t have the credits to buy them yet so I thought I’d play my only premium carrier, Kaga, a bit to farm credits.

Against T7 or worse, T6, it is a sealclubbing monster. You can slam 4 torps at a time into fat, slow turning BBs like New Mexico with ease. Swat DDs and bomb CA/CL without worry. Guaranteed top of group unless you are really unlucky or dumb.

At the other end of the scale, at T10, it’s useless. It’s T7 planes are just too weak and the super fast plane regen just provides more fodder for the AA cruisers and even “normal’ BBs. Up against a Kremlin it’s a joke.

But the really stupid thing is you can loose 100 planes, do 20k damage and still net 250k credits. In a lower game where you can actually kill things, 500k is possible.

i won this thing in a box at Xmas, I would be very pissed off if I’d paid for it.

Whine over. New subject:

When Kaga is bottom tier being more passive makes it actually quite strong late game. If you hold back that large plane reserve then it becomes a nightmare for any damaged or isolated targets. 

As for T10. Hak is a beautiful scalpel, Midway is a mighty sledgehammer. I prefer the scalpel. 

• Cool 1

[THESO]
Players
571 posts
11,442 battles
1 hour ago, gustywinds said:

At the other end of the scale, at T10, it’s useless. It’s T7 planes are just too weak and the super fast plane regen just provides more fodder for the AA cruisers and even “normal’ BBs.

I don't feel it's any more useless in T10 games than the other T8 carriers. The planes are even weaker so you lose more, but then you have more to lose. Just be patient, focus on spotting until more isolated targets start emerging. 

1 hour ago, gustywinds said:

Up against a Kremlin it’s a joke.

Don't attack a Kremlin if you have a reasonable choice? Without AP bombs and such fragile planes, you can't really hurt it with Kaga. It's just a waste of planes. Same goes for many other T10 targets.

Players
3,220 posts
1 hour ago, Panocek said:

Both. And get 160k FXP and additional 10mil credits per CV to skip stock planes, especially for Midway:cap_tea:

^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS!

Only thing I find annoying with the Midway is the torp spread, it is so wide ships can virtually dance through it, also salt aplenty when one of those wayward torps finds one of your team mates, plus he torps ought to do more damage,in my mind they are the go to weapon of choice in any CV.

Players
3,220 posts
54 minutes ago, LeSnoet said:

I never attack red cv's, maybe in the endgame. But for me it is not a goal in itself.

Enterprise does have more planes, but to me the rocketplanes from the Lexi tend to strike harder (but that is due to its HVAR rockets). Tried the TiTs as well, HVAR's are more useful for opportunistic gameplay.

I think the Enterprise shines with its AP bombs 

@OP; Kaga is decent when has similar MM. When uptiered, just go for solo targets (except of course the famous historical Kremlin BB)

Kaga and Saipan need to be down tiered really, I find them both a bit weak at tier 8,as for the Brit offering,well all I can say is i really wanted the Indomitable, but now I hope they never sell it,a CV without torps? You may aswell put a Yamato at tier 5 without guns.

Players
1,420 posts
8,361 battles

Something I really hated when Kaga was uptiered it's the fact I can't use her anymore in Narai. I really enjoyed using her as a full battlecarrier.

Players
440 posts
5,436 battles
1 hour ago, Redcap375 said:

Ain’t paying £42 for it.

Players
440 posts
5,436 battles
1 hour ago, LeSnoet said:

except of course the famous historical Kremlin BB)

I was in a game just now when the Kremlin was spamming “provide antiaircraft fire support” in chat.

• Funny 1

[BHSFL]
Players
3,445 posts

Kaga's talent in tier X matches is very heavy torpedo damage if you can get your squadron in an attack run on a BB intact without already having been ripped to pieces before they got there.

A specific Kaga mistake is playing the same as with US aircraft that have high armour and HP and can tank considerable damage for a few seconds......Kaga's aircraft cannot.

So you will have to often fly around heavy AA zones and lose time......but if you have the patience,get your bombers lined up while still intact and score perfect salvo's  you can even end up top 3 scoring in pure tier X matches. ( where you and the other CV are the only lower tiers )

Kaga's torpedo's are faster and tighter ( and straighter ) grouped then US torpedo's.....making it easier to make them all hit.

It is rather the Implacable that i struggle with in tier X matches......is seems to lack heavy striking power, and launch or drop only firecrackers while aircraft are ripped to pieces in seconds.

Players
440 posts
5,436 battles
54 minutes ago, nambr9 said:

Its impossible to balance CV over 5 tiers spread.

Totally agree. That’s why I think CVs should have +/- 1 matchmaking 

• Cool 2

Players
9,859 posts
11,573 battles
31 minutes ago, gustywinds said:

Totally agree. That’s why I think CVs should have +/- 1 matchmaking 

Flattening plane hp and AA across the tiers would do, but then, how WG would incentive getting next, bigger, badder ship when they all suck across the board?:cap_book:

Players
3,130 posts
10,613 battles
On 6/18/2019 at 4:53 PM, gustywinds said:

Ain’t paying £42 for it.

And nor should you mate.  Crazy money if you ask me.

[B0TS]
[B0TS]
Players
271 posts
10,772 battles
On 6/18/2019 at 4:30 PM, NoobySkooby said:

Kaga and Saipan need to be down tiered really, I find them both a bit weak at tier 8,as for the Brit offering,well all I can say is i really wanted the Indomitable, but now I hope they never sell it,a CV without torps? You may aswell put a Yamato at tier 5 without guns.

As from tier 8 premiums i only own Saipan. I don't know why people say it sucks... I feel very comfortable in it even vs tier 10's. You only need to be very careful because Saipan really does not feels like having "unlimited" planes if you loose a squadron. Sure, after global speed "balance" and HE bombs "fix", Saipan (who had SPEED as one of its advantages) received double nerf straight away but i still love the 4x torp drop.

I don't know myself why CVs can't have +-1 MM... I think everyone would be happier. With so many CVs shouldn't be much longer queue. And maybe some tier 10's would get more battles without CV.

• Cool 2

Players
3,220 posts
1 hour ago, Sugertukas said:

As from tier 8 premiums i only own Saipan. I don't know why people say it sucks... I feel very comfortable in it even vs tier 10's. You only need to be very careful because Saipan really does not feels like having "unlimited" planes if you loose a squadron. Sure, after global speed "balance" and HE bombs "fix", Saipan (who had SPEED as one of its advantages) received double nerf straight away but i still love the 4x torp drop.

I don't know myself why CVs can't have +-1 MM... I think everyone would be happier. With so many CVs shouldn't be much longer queue. And maybe some tier 10's would get more battles without CV.

I may taker her out in game later although I do not lover her at tier 8, that said with the server shutdown i was sort of expecting this..........

Another CV they have screwed up even before release

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_OFh9gSlcs

Then there is this other monstrosity coming god only knows when

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrGmipkjTE8

[LO1]
Alpha Tester
1,481 posts
6,079 battles
On 6/18/2019 at 2:37 PM, gustywinds said:

Whine over. New subject:

first Audacious is great, for me i like it better than the midway.

Kaga!!! is a beast, imho 2nd best prem CV in the game.  same tier games it is a beast, t9 its a beast t10 as long as you dont go yolo with your planes in to all the stonk AA, it will reward you with great games and high scores.

EDIT: ok i see maybe the problem is...

gustywinds

This user profile is private

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,767 posts
16,610 battles
On 6/18/2019 at 7:30 PM, nambr9 said:

Its impossible to balance CV over 5 tiers spread.

in my humble opinion it is not, however it might be somewhat complicated to do so and/or require additional steps like plane tier balancing. Just adjust either plane tier and/or AA tier to the min and max battle tiers of the current battle and voila.

E.g. if the min battle tier is 6 Kaga's planes will be nerfed for that battle. If the max battle tier is 10 Kaga's planes will receive a significant buff for that battle etc.

Players
2,883 posts
16,293 battles
On 6/18/2019 at 3:37 PM, gustywinds said:

Depends what you prefer to play.

Midway is easier to play, while the current ranked season has conclusively demonstrated Hakyruy is the best CV for top competitive games.

Midway is your general purpose hammer (HE Divebombs) while Hakuruy is a scalpel which must be wielded with surgical accuracy due to having low plane hp.

I imagine the low survivability of IJN planes might put you off if Kaga does....but you be the judge. Also while AP DBs are the most powerful planes in the game, they take many games to master.

Also Enterprise is by far the best tier 8 CV.