Jump to content
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Inappropriate_noob

Big guns.......

15 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Players
3,220 posts

Now don't we all love big guns, (well maybe non BB players don't) but this is a quick thread about the bigger guns, you know the option you have on the Republique, Conqueror and GK, do you use them, and do you find if you use them you get better results?

 

Reason I mention these ship I particular is that I have them all and love ranked for the opportunity to use them:cap_like:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,220 posts
1 minute ago, Aotearas said:

Republique doesn't have gun options.

My bad I thought it did, I'm sure I saw it last night on the rare occasion I took her out but ok I will go with that.

 

Now got to log in the game to check, lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,220 posts
5 minutes ago, Aotearas said:

Republique doesn't have gun options.

You are definitely quite right, a mere confusion issue in the early hours of the morning, so the Conq and GK, are that anymore beneficial than the regular guns?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,767 posts
16,610 battles
1 minute ago, NoobySkooby said:

You are definitely quite right, a mere confusion issue in the early hours of the morning, so the Conq and GK, are that anymore beneficial than the regular guns?

Short answer: No. Long answer: Also no. Reload > Caliber.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,220 posts
1 minute ago, Ubertron_X said:

Short answer: No. Long answer: Also no. Reload > Caliber.

Ok fair enough but on the Conq it is exactly the same reload of 26.4 seconds on either gun, this time I checked, lol, anyway gone back to the 419's on her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,767 posts
16,610 battles
Just now, NoobySkooby said:

Ok fair enough but on the Conq it is exactly the same reload of 26.4 seconds on either gun, this time I checked, lol, anyway gone back to the 419's on her.

In case of same reload: More barrels > less barrels. Unless your gun/shell characteristics tremendously increase or you pass a critical threshold (HE penetration or AP overmatching) you basically never use bigger guns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,220 posts
2 minutes ago, Ubertron_X said:

In case of same reload: More barrels > less barrels. Unless your gun/shell characteristics tremendously increase or you pass a critical threshold (HE penetration or AP overmatching) you basically never use bigger guns.

Ok I go with that then, i would assume it is the same for the GK then too yes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,767 posts
16,610 battles
3 minutes ago, NoobySkooby said:

Ok I go with that then, i would assume it is the same for the GK then too yes? 

As the 420's seem to have near identical handling to the 406's (some more versed forumites may have the graphs ready) and you will not pass a threshold there is few benefit (slightly higher AP and HE damage) but a huge 2.7 seconds reload drawback. So yes, go for the smaller guns.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-RM-]
Beta Tester
2,091 posts
8,446 battles
41 minutes ago, Ubertron_X said:

As the 420's seem to have near identical handling to the 406's (some more versed forumites may have the graphs ready) and you will not pass a threshold there is few benefit (slightly higher AP and HE damage) but a huge 2.7 seconds reload drawback. So yes, go for the smaller guns.

Adding to this, the 420 have slightly better penetration at above 15-16 km (something that matters very little as you are still likely to cause damage anyways if you hit). But apart from that tiny change the 420's are not worth it as you also don't pass any overmatch thresholds that the 406 can't deal with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
13,036 battles

I feel like this thread is overlooking the most important ship as per the question: the Mogami. 5x3 155mm IFHE goodness, or rather 5x2 203mm vanilla flavour?

 

Personally I feel sad everytime I see a Mogami with 203mm guns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BBMM]
Players
5,796 posts
7,356 battles
4 hours ago, NoobySkooby said:

Ok fair enough but on the Conq it is exactly the same reload of 26.4 seconds on either gun, this time I checked, lol, anyway gone back to the 419's on her.

Sometimes I see the shells go, ad then I go WHAAAATTTTT.... 

Which is why 12x throwing sh... on the wall is better than 8. 

Besides, you set fire to everything anyway and the pen is already plenty. 

This weekend plenty broadsiding Currywursts and Yamatoes. BOOM BOOM.

Just remember it shoots AP too. I have whole matches where I play 1 salvo HE and the rest AP. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SCRUB]
Players
3,790 posts
17,324 battles
6 hours ago, Aotearas said:

I feel like this thread is overlooking the most important ship as per the question: the Mogami. 5x3 155mm IFHE goodness, or rather 5x2 203mm vanilla flavour?

 

Personally I feel sad everytime I see a Mogami with 203mm guns.

 

Before IFHE I thought this a difficult choice .. after not so much (155mm IFHE)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
9,862 posts
11,573 battles
7 hours ago, Aotearas said:

I feel like this thread is overlooking the most important ship as per the question: the Mogami. 5x3 155mm IFHE goodness, or rather 5x2 203mm vanilla flavour?

 

Personally I feel sad everytime I see a Mogami with 203mm guns.

Dunno, Mogami CA was okay to play. But:

-Mogami CL+IFHE is a thing

-if you want Mogami CA, you're better off with Ibuki

-I already have Takao for T8 IJN heavy cruiser needs:Smile_smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
629 posts
4,949 battles

For BBs, sometimes dpm>alpha. Depends on your build. If you want to stay back a little bit (not you, Germany) it's funny to hit ppl for huge dmg.  If you are in a brawler, you'll need the turret rotation and reload speed to get that last shot off before you expire. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×