Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
OldschoolGaming_YouTube

Is it good business tactics to show the balancing of new ships?

8 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
1,868 posts
11,510 battles

I was just a bit curious after seeing some of the latest videos of upcoming ships like the new French DD line for instance. After CCs showed the first videos of ships like Mogador and Kleber I was quite exited over the new DD line (and thats after I pretty much stopped played my Main class, DDs, at all after the CV rework) They seemes like a nice new addition to the game and a fun new flavour that went hand in hand with the French cruiser playstyle.

Then I saw the latest videos showing the new versions of said ships nerfed all over the place, and I was like ......"Ok?! ..... so they will be pretty crap all over unless you have reload booster of cooldown and manage to surprise a DD from behind an island?". And the balancing isnt really over yet. But my exitement over the line is almost gone. Maybe I should let all my DD fleet just rust away in port and just focus on cruisers instead.

Now dont get me wrong. I understand there need to be balancing regarding new shiplines in the game. And the first version of said ships was probably leaning towards the OP side, atleast very strong in situations. Thats not my issue. I have been working in sales all my life and if its something I know is that it can be devestation if something regarding a new product can be seen as less then stellar before its release. So why do WG puts us thru all the process from a nice shiny product to a somewhat mediocre end product? Why not just tell the CCs they cant show ships before their final state. Is it good for any of us (or WG) to see the Nerf-Bat in action? Reminding us that all our favourite ships, now and in the future is always subject to "balancing"?

I would probably be still very exited over the new line IF I didnt know how they were before they nerfed it.

Its like Apple releasing videos of the brand new iPhone that has everything and best performance, and then 2 month later they release a new video where they taken away 2 great functions, and then 2 month later they put a worse camera and battery in it, and then they release it ........!?

Is it only me thinks this could be a bit bad for sales?

[CATS]
Players
26,144 posts
14,103 battles
50 minutes ago, OldschoolGaming_YouTube said:

Is it only me thinks this could be a bit bad for sales?

That is the problem of the players, demanding ever more powerful products that have to be balanced.

And no, contrary to Apple, it should not be WG job to make each new product more powerful than the one before. That is called power creep and "a few" people are already complaining about that trend, especially when the newest product is russian...

• Cool 5

Beta Tester
1,868 posts
11,510 battles
1 hour ago, ColonelPete said:

That is the problem of the players, demanding ever more powerful products that have to be balanced.

And no, contrary to Apple, it should not be WG job to make each new product more powerful than the one before. That is called power creep and "a few" people are already complaining about that trend, especially when the newest product is russian...

I think you missunderstood my point. Im not saying they should only great bigger and more powerful lines. I just think its pretty weird that we, the playerbase has a front row seat to the whole process of them giving the CCs the first, usually very powerful version, and then we can follow the whole progress (via CCs videos) how they nerf them down to something else. In a sales standpoint, thats usually not a good idea. The whole idea with getting CCs to release videos of new upcoming ship must be to create a hype so players want to purchase them, right?

I just wished we all get to see the final version ready for live instead of seeing WG going to town on the ships with the nerf bat. Imho "balancing" should be made behind closed doors. "CV rework" is another balancing going on on live servers during both ranked and random, maybe not the best idea. What version is that on at the moment?

[CATS]
Players
26,144 posts
14,103 battles
  • We get the hype by seeing the ships
  • we see the work WG invests into balancing and acutally see that WG wants to avoid pubilishing too strong ships and does not roll the dice on the balancing factors, as many players suggest

Players
339 posts
14,784 battles

you will find the very core player base doesnt want OP ships but rather them special ships with history in the game, that is why u see some angry posts about paper ships and who remembers the gneisenau gun fiasco (wrong calibre) 

Players
6,763 posts
245 battles

The thing is if they don't then ships like the slava could of been even more stupid than they are now, probs flying around the map at 100knots with 800mm 5x6 guns with a reload 26 secs and shell velocity of 1,4k and range of 50km.

They should have an event where you can select random battles but have it sped up all the way up to 10x would be funny as hell lol.

It would also be nice if ships and/or lines werent made completely obsolete or less useful instantly as soon as new ships/lines come out, plus it means we get too see how the ship looks and performs.

[-G0M-]
Beta Tester
291 posts
12,475 battles

The whole process of how WG releases "test" ships in to the wider community is flawed.

WG have a history (some would say business plan) of releasing massively OP ships, give them to ST's (who don't make vids) and to the CC's (who do make vids). The stats of these ships are not provided to the wider community in the client, so you have to go to youtube and watch a CC's vid. If you don't do that and I would suggest the vast majority of players do not, then when it appears in battles people have no clue as to its capabilities. The perfect example of this was Flammu's Asashio vid, he was laughing maniacally as he "surprised" BB's 16km away with the invisible torps, the BB's thinking they were safe had no clue what to expect. It was an unfair advantage and pretty pathetic behaviour from WG. We are seeing it again with Somers, Benham, Smolensk etc. I have absolutely no problem with WG providing the ships to the CC's for "testing", it isn't "testing" it is "marketing" but we'll have testing=marketing for the sake of WG ego, but provide the ships in the port for everyone to see the stats, mark them as "coming soon" but at least provide the wider playing base an idea of what is on the seas.

Putting ships in to the client and on to the battlefield without telling the whole player base what they are and what they can do is bad practice.

The other facet of this is the marketing hype train, sorry "testing process", they put out OP ships to the far better players, they nuke the enemy, they make great vids that go on youtube, the hype increases and then they "refine" the stats, it is the old "bait and switch" mechanic WG have used for years. If they truly wanted ships tested properly they would release them to everyone, like they have done with CV's, but they don't really want them tested, they want them show cased on youtube having epic games to drive interest.

It's a shame, but it is the world we live in, WG will continue to do this, they don't care if they upset a large portion of the player base, look at the CV rework, look at the GC debacle (that one got through the refining process) and we'll see it with new ships, ultimately it is about $, they are a business after all, saying anything else is just a false hood.

TB.

• Cool 3

[CR33D]
[CR33D]
Players
2,753 posts
26,569 battles

fic

13 hours ago, OldschoolGaming_YouTube said:

I was just a bit curious after seeing some of the latest videos of upcoming ships like the new French DD line for instance. After CCs showed the first videos of ships like Mogador and Kleber I was quite exited over the new DD line (and thats after I pretty much stopped played my Main class, DDs, at all after the CV rework) They seemes like a nice new addition to the game and a fun new flavour that went hand in hand with the French cruiser playstyle.

Then I saw the latest videos showing the new versions of said ships nerfed all over the place, and I was like ......"Ok?! ..... so they will be pretty crap all over unless you have reload booster of cooldown and manage to surprise a DD from behind an island?". And the balancing isnt really over yet. But my exitement over the line is almost gone. Maybe I should let all my DD fleet just rust away in port and just focus on cruisers instead.

Now dont get me wrong. I understand there need to be balancing regarding new shiplines in the game. And the first version of said ships was probably leaning towards the OP side, atleast very strong in situations. Thats not my issue. I have been working in sales all my life and if its something I know is that it can be devestation if something regarding a new product can be seen as less then stellar before its release. So why do WG puts us thru all the process from a nice shiny product to a somewhat mediocre end product? Why not just tell the CCs they cant show ships before their final state. Is it good for any of us (or WG) to see the Nerf-Bat in action? Reminding us that all our favourite ships, now and in the future is always subject to "balancing"?

I would probably be still very exited over the new line IF I didnt know how they were before they nerfed it.

I think it is. And process of balancing is not always going downward. Ships like Massa, Georgia or Kidd were all mediocre at the start but progressively got better. It is good for people to see how all progress is going, to get informed and interested in game development. It give CCs also a chance to provide interesting content and keep current players still invested in the game or to attract new players if possible. Yes WG is not always successful in balancing ships and some of their decisions could be quite controversial in players views but I'm still thinking that it is good that they are doing it this way.

IMO, problem with French DDs is that WG is trying to balance them around two gimmicks, MBRB and SB. First test are clearly showing that they were very powerful, if not too powerful, in some specific situations but meh i the others. Seems like they were trying to balance those situations in which they overperform without giving any compensation in others simple because that would require changes to their concept how this DDs should behave. But this ships are still WiP, so thinks still could change.

13 hours ago, OldschoolGaming_YouTube said:

Its like Apple releasing videos of the brand new iPhone that has everything and best performance, and then 2 month later they release a new video where they taken away 2 great functions, and then 2 month later they put a worse camera and battery in it, and then they release it ........!?

You find the worst possible example for this. It is not like Apple needs to balance their new product to be on similar level as their previous products or products of other manufacturers.

Sign in to follow this