AwesomeBoat

T6 Aigle, good?

27 comments in this topic

[MAD]
Players
88 posts
758 battles

Hi,

I'm saving up my coal in the armory and was thinking about getting the Aigle, since its t6 and I don't want to get the OR.

but before I spent 1-2 months of saving coal, I'd like to know the opinions of those that own it.

Thanks

Players
8,118 posts
8,931 battles

It's a decent ship. But is special and requires some skill to get the most out of it. But cannot say it is bad, especially if you don't get thrown into T8 matches.

• Cool 1

Players
9,892 posts
11,612 battles

Solid multipurpose destroyer. 5 hard hitting and surprisingly quick reloading guns, obscene amount of hp, torps brutal in damage but few in numbers and rather slow. Main issues I can think of are mediocre concealment, slow shell velocity making long range shelling against agile targets a quite good frustration exercise and crappy firing arcs, you need to show A LOT of broadside to make use of all the guns. That and you need Expert Marksman to cope with turret traverse.

One of the best T6 DDs for Operations due to hp/guns combo IMO.

• Cool 1

[MAD]
Players
88 posts
758 battles

Thanks, I think I will get it then. It's just a matter of saving coal now, should be easy enough with 'more Resources' containers.

[SM0KE]
Players
5,462 posts
13,485 battles
2 minutes ago, AwesomeBoat said:

Btw, can the Aigle stealth torp?

Yes, at least mine can - that's with a CE captain. Since the torp range was buffed, I *think* it can even without, but the window is quite small.

BTW, speaking of captains, if you have one of the 'Honore' captains, they're a good pick for Aigle, as their magic EM makes the turret traverse a lot more comfortable...

• Cool 1

Players
9,892 posts
11,612 battles
19 minutes ago, AwesomeBoat said:

Thanks,

Are the Honore captains the captains from the armory?

One was obtainable via mission chain Collection tied to FR BB release back in the day, another is in Armory/Arsenal. Though standard captain with regular EM gets the job done on Aigle, Hodore captain and his improved EM is very welcome on Henri IV to counteract lacking turret traverse AND penalty induced by reload upgrade.

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
5,462 posts
13,485 battles
18 minutes ago, AwesomeBoat said:

Are the Honore captains the captains from the armory?

Yup, although I think only one is in the armoury at the moment; the other came from a collection (French BBs?).

edit: @Panocek beat me to it, and his point about BBs is very well made - the Honores are excellent on BBs too...

• Cool 1

[MAD]
Players
88 posts
758 battles

Thanks, since I have no french captains I will use my coal on the Aigle first and then I will get the captain

Players
9,892 posts
11,612 battles
4 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

Yup, although I think only one is in the armoury at the moment; the other came from a collection (French BBs?).

edit: @Panocek beat me to it, and his point about BBs is very well made - the Honores are excellent on BBs too...

Improved Expert Marksman AND Adrenaline Rush are too good to pass up on anything with gun turrets, unless they turn fast enough to start with.

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
5,462 posts
13,485 battles
1 minute ago, AwesomeBoat said:

Are french DDs going to be in the game soon?

Aye - I believe they're being tested at the moment (I think there may be some useful links in the Dev Blog bit of the forum)...

• Cool 1

Players
9,892 posts
11,612 battles
Just now, AwesomeBoat said:

Yep, if I remember schedule they were expected to be released after RU battleboats... which are in game already

• Cool 1

Players
1,133 posts
7,085 battles
11 minutes ago, AwesomeBoat said:

most likely within 2 months, not next update but probably the following

• Cool 1

Players
8,118 posts
8,931 battles
22 minutes ago, Panocek said:

Improved Expert Marksman AND Adrenaline Rush are too good to pass up on anything with gun turrets, unless they turn fast enough to start with.

Unless you have better ships to put your two captains on. e.g. Henri/Repu.

• Cool 1

[MAD]
Players
88 posts
758 battles
11 minutes ago, Cagliostro_chan said:

Unless you have better ships to put your two captains on. e.g. Henri/Repu.

Well I don't have any MN Cruiser and I'm not interested in the MN BBs because of the low gun size. So I will probably use the captain for the Aigle.

Players
1,133 posts
7,085 battles
1 minute ago, AwesomeBoat said:

Well I don't have any MN Cruiser and I'm not interested in the MN BBs because of the low gun size. So I will probably use the captain for the Aigle.

MN BBs are very good, and tier 10 republique has big guns and is considered as one of the best if not the best tier 10 BB currently

• Cool 1

[MAD]
Players
88 posts
758 battles
35 minutes ago, elblancogringo said:

MN BBs are very good, and tier 10 republique has big guns and is considered as one of the best if not the best tier 10 BB currently

Yeah it's just the tier 8 and 9 that make me not play this line. Tbh 380mm at t8 and 9 doesn't look like it could handle with fighting over BBs.

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,767 posts
5,290 battles
53 minutes ago, AwesomeBoat said:

Yeah it's just the tier 8 and 9 that make me not play this line. Tbh 380mm at t8 and 9 doesn't look like it could handle with fighting over BBs.

No offense, but you are so very wrong there..

• Cool 1

[MAD]
Players
88 posts
758 battles
Just now, lafeel said:

No offense, but you are so very wrong there..

Maybe I am (I've never played these ships before) but I just thought that because of the small gun size and all of the other BBs they will be facing. I guess I could give the MN BBs a try since I'm not exactly focusing a BB line at the moment. 

Players
9,892 posts
11,612 battles
12 minutes ago, AwesomeBoat said:

Maybe I am (I've never played these ships before) but I just thought that because of the small gun size and all of the other BBs they will be facing. I guess I could give the MN BBs a try since I'm not exactly focusing a BB line at the moment. 

If you're disappointed with 380mm guns, how you would play lower tiers, armed with 305-350mm peashooters? If you look at armor layouts, BB main armor belts and turrets actually doesn't improve that much across the tiers:cap_tea:

Where you are right however is 380mm guns interaction with USN/Ger heavy cruisers, which on hightiers got 27mm plating, thick enough to avoid overmatch from 380mm guns, simply to make them tad more durable. 400mm+ guns goes through that just fine, but then tier 10 almost universally have 30mm plating just for sake of ricocheting 406-420mm projectiles. Thats why WG newest BB additions have 431-457mm guns to deal with that, so circle of power creep can continue.

And Croissant BBs I'd actually call battlecruisers - their armor plating (on high tiers) doesn't stand up to HE blasting from cruisers while they have pretty good speed, compounded by Engine Boost found on tier 8+. And then you have Lyon, 16gun meme proving quantity is quality on its own

• Cool 1

Players
8,118 posts
8,931 battles
24 minutes ago, Panocek said:

Where you are right however is 380mm guns interaction with USN/Ger heavy cruisers, which on hightiers got 27mm plating, thick enough to avoid overmatch from 380mm guns, simply to make them tad more durable.

I stopped counting the amount of Prinz Eugens, Hippers and other silly 27 mm cruisers that went full broadside in front of my 38 cm BB and allowed me to just citadel the crap out of them. I really never found this a big issue, though worst case, load HE. Good chance to also knock out the German engine or straight up detonate them.

Only ships with 27 mm that I consider straight up dangerous beyond them torp rushing are T10s and the Alaska.

29 minutes ago, Panocek said:

And Croissant BBs I'd actually call battlecruisers - their armor plating (on high tiers) doesn't stand up to HE blasting from cruisers while they have pretty good speed, compounded by Engine Boost found on tier 8+. And then you have Lyon, 16gun meme proving quantity is quality on its own

Kongou and Hood are some of the most notable battlecruisers and they have some pretty solid plating vs HE spam.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this