You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Inappropriate_noob

Good advice, learn to play.........

77 comments in this topic

Players
3,213 posts

Now this is often told my many, to a great many others, good advice indeed, but........

Why is it so hard to do?

I will touch on a random comment, made by a random player, in a random match, and they said 'I have watched over 2000 vids on YouTube, and still could not work out how to win in this ship.'

I forget what actual ship it was, as it was quite some time ago but I always remember that remark, the thing is, and I know I am not he only one here, I can totally relate to that, so if watching all these clever streamers on the tube ( Flamu, Flambass, Notser, Ichase etc) cannot help, then how does one learn, sure I have had good tips in here and from other players in game, but this thread is not just about me,  (although  i know I will get flamed to charcoal, lol) but more about potato's in general, you know the ones you and all the CC's moan about:Smile_teethhappy:

[CATS]
Players
26,035 posts
14,077 battles

The time spend on watching 2000 vids would have been better invested to play the ships...

Without practice you cannot get better.

• Aiming needs practice, vids can teach basics and knowledge about ships armor and gun performance
  • Timing needs practice, when to commit and when to stay back,  no vid can teach that
  • Positioning needs practice, no video can teach you to read the battle and where to move
  • Cool 8

[NED]
Players
2,045 posts
7,837 battles

Well sometimes you just have a ship you dont connect with for me it was the Izumo that felt like a fight to get it to do what i want.

Other times its situational like those times where your a DD and you manage to find all the enemy radar ships on your flank.

And then there are the times you see the team lemming away from one flank and you just know that against your better judgement you will still try to delay the enemy coming from that side.

• Cool 2

[SHAFT]
Players
9,432 posts
8,808 battles
12 minutes ago, NoobySkooby said:

Why is it so hard to do?

Maybe not every ships playtstyle fits everyone? Good players will eventually make every ship work, while average players might have ships they struggle for a long time or it will never really work.

And watching videos will only get you so far, as every match is different. You have to know/understand what to do in a specific game situation.

Also id say, most of the time l2p isthrown out, when someone makes really basic mistakes, like rushing into superior enemy numbers for no real reason. Or not understanding points/time so surviving would get a win, but they yolo in to die and lose the game.

And in forums ofc when people call for unnecessary buffs because they are not able to play a ship properly, instead to learn it, they rather want it buffed.

• Cool 2

[GW_KR]
Players
214 posts
11,887 battles

I think the sad truth is that you can get to a certain skill level by practice and experience, but to be really good you have to have a ”knack” for it. I have about 5000 battles and no one can claim I have been rushing up the ranks too fast or using premium ships. I have slowly played my way up. 

I do well mostly and sometimes I pull off fantastic games. But I am stuck below 50% winrate because I repeat my mistakes too often. (Being far too agressive, impatient and careless. Not to mention that cursed tunnelvision. )

But I have a really hard time with situational awereness. Strategic placing and knowing when to push and where or when to back off. 

I have come to the conclusion that I will never be a very good player. So I made my descisio to stop caring about stats, wins and foscusing on too many missions. Instead I will just try and have fun, to realax and play each game as well as I can and try to spread a positive feeling by encouraging and helping my team no matter if I loose or win. 

So whenever I get the ltp thrown in my face I ask them if they think it is likely after 5000+ battles to ltp if I haven’t by now?😊

I have not received a reply to that yet. 

• Cool 4

[SLAPP]
Players
1,377 posts
8,588 battles

it is probably because good players like flamu already knows how to survive when situations happen.

While the one watching the video might just copy flamu's play style but has not got the map awareness yet to make that work.

and when you are too focused on winning the game and not staying alive it wont work.

as the first thing they need to learn is the basics and that is staying alive.

[THESO]
[THESO]
Players
2,549 posts
23,665 battles
1 hour ago, NoobySkooby said:

Now this is often told my many, to a great many others, good advice indeed, but........

Why is it so hard to do?

I will touch on a random comment, made by a random player, in a random match, and they said 'I have watched over 2000 vids on YouTube, and still could not work out how to win in this ship.'

I forget what actual ship it was, as it was quite some time ago but I always remember that remark, the thing is, and I know I am not he only one here, I can totally relate to that, so if watching all these clever streamers on the tube ( Flamu, Flambass, Notser, Ichase etc) cannot help, then how does one learn, sure I have had good tips in here and from other players in game, but this thread is not just about me,  (although  i know I will get flamed to charcoal, lol) but more about potato's in general, you know the ones you and all the CC's moan about:Smile_teethhappy:

theory=/=practice

play it, that simple. and if it aint work, play it different. until u found a way 4 u or not. and if its on many ships, check general playstyle and things like map awareness. u can get hints 4 sure from vids, but it won't take the necessity of practice away!

... and if b4 u find a way to the ships playstyle u'll leave it probability is there u learned nothing and blame it on the ship.

2 cts

[BOBS]
Beta Tester
252 posts
3,429 battles
16 minutes ago, OldPappy said:

I think the sad truth is that you can get to a certain skill level by practice and experience, but to be really good you have to have a ”knack” for it. I have about 5000 battles and no one can claim I have been rushing up the ranks too fast or using premium ships. I have slowly played my way up. 

I do well mostly and sometimes I pull off fantastic games. But I am stuck below 50% winrate because I repeat my mistakes too often. (Being far too agressive, impatient and careless. Not to mention that cursed tunnelvision. )

But I have a really hard time with situational awereness. Strategic placing and knowing when to push and where or when to back off. 

I have come to the conclusion that I will never be a very good player. So I made my descisio to stop caring about stats, wins and foscusing on too many missions. Instead I will just try and have fun, to realax and play each game as well as I can and try to spread a positive feeling by encouraging and helping my team no matter if I loose or win. 

So whenever I get the ltp thrown in my face I ask them if they think it is likely after 5000+ battles to ltp if I haven’t by now?😊

I have not received a reply to that yet. 

Very well put and I couldn’t agree more! That’s me in a nutshell (except for the Premium ships, I’m a sucker for them)

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Players
1,331 posts
9,818 battles
1 hour ago, NoobySkooby said:

then how does one learn

This is anecdotal but it has worked for me.

Try to replay your battles and identify your mistakes.

The moment you identify your mistake and weakness you have made a step forward.

The moment you say to yourself "oops, I shouldn't have done that" you gained an experience point.

Devise plans and put them to the test. If it works out, replay the game. Try to see what could have gone wrong and it didn't because of luck. If your plans did not work out, replay the game and try to see why it did not work out.

That moment that you say "oops I was lucky here"  or "aha, that's why this plan failed" you gained an experience point.

Unless you are a "natural" learning is a gradual process.

• Cool 9

[GW_KR]
Players
214 posts
11,887 battles
29 minutes ago, lameoll said:

it is probably because good players like flamu already knows how to survive when situations happen.

While the one watching the video might just copy flamu's play style but has not got the map awareness yet to make that work.

and when you are too focused on winning the game and not staying alive it wont work.

This is very true and well put! Trying too hard to win is likely to ensure a loss. Trying to maximize your damage and xp will get you killed most of the time. 

Focus on staying alive and the overall objective - as Flamu and Notser especially keep repeating - will often give you your best games. 😊

Nowadays I usually navigate by the minimap most of the time and actually only look att the big screen when shooting or in a knife fight. It seems to help my stratetic awereness!

• Cool 1

[BAD-A]
Players
640 posts
9,029 battles

For me, aiming when a ship is at an angle is one of the things I still struggle with - hence spending time in co-op to try to get my "eye in" better.

Reading the minimap and the game is one of those things that helps - sure i still get it wrong, and sure I still misinterpret the flow of the game (badly occasionally!) but I can still see when a flank is failing or when the team is stalling or pushing.  It doesn't help that I tend to play cruisers more in Randoms in which you get punished heavily for mistakes (esp when you don't have heal).

Learning how to use your ship is also important but I get very frustrated when I find myself feeling like I need to push in a ship that I shouldn't, just because team-mates have lemminged or are potatoing worse than I do and throwing the game.

• Cool 1

[STARS]
[STARS]
Beta Tester
153 posts
16,165 battles
37 minutes ago, lameoll said:

Very relevant!

[INTRO]
[INTRO]
Players
1,437 posts
16,650 battles

When I look at the stats of a "bad" player, two thing stand out for the most.

Bad survival-rate

Bad hit-ratio

You can't learn aiming by just looking at vids. You need to pick up a gut-feeling and that can only be done by practice.

If you get better at shooting, the survival should go up as well since you are killing off the enemies before they can kill you but it's not wrong to learn how to use your armor. This you can do from vids.

All and all, there are no substitute for practice.

[BHSFL]
Players
3,366 posts
13,049 battles
38 minutes ago, Saltface said:

This is anecdotal but it has worked for me.

Try to replay your battles and identify your mistakes.

The moment you identify your mistake and weakness you have made a step forward.

The moment you say to yourself "oops, I shouldn't have done that" you gained an experience point.

Devise plans and put them to the test. If it works out, replay the game. Try to see what could have gone wrong and it didn't because of luck. If your plans did not work out, replay the game and try to see why it did not work out.

That moment that you say "oops I was lucky here"  or "aha, that's why this plan failed" you gained an experience point.

Unless you are a "natural" learning is a gradual process.

This...

It is how evolution works, and we are the product of it. Nature tries a design, if it fails it descontinues it and/or makes a change to that design and tries it again....an infinite number of times untill something works, but it never stops there as the conditions around the design  never stop to change either.

This works for the player too......that is why many of us with original accounts had to gradually climb out of "red stats" and you can easily see who does not have an original account.

But there is also the trap of becoming too set in your ways. There are some that seem to think there is only one way to play the game, and even flame all other players not playing that perticular way. These are also the ones that get most upset when WG throws in a new line/class that disrupts their ways demanding it be removed or nerfed. They have become too inflexible for nature, which demands you always must adapt....or become obsolete/failed.

A lion that was strong enough to kill or drive off the leading lion of a throng of lionesses can only enjoy that for about 4-6 years....then comes another fresh and strong younger lion and kills him, or drives him off. There is no shuch thing as staying on top of your game always either.

• Boring 2

[NAN0]
Players
253 posts
1,871 battles

I learnt better from my own mistakes than watching others on youtube.

Also, some playstyles just click better with you. 

And don't hop from nation to nation because you won't get used to the shell arc and velocity, stick with 1 for a while. This was my mistake. Now im quite used to American arcs.

• Cool 1

Players
628 posts
2,129 battles

I'm not a great player but I think you are up against a lot if you are trying to improve, as opposed to just being happy with what you already know.

You need to filter out luck from skill, you need to filter out teams that just play badly, you need to filter out the worth of advise by players who come up with comments like 'it's never a problem for me', and you need to filter out imagined expectations from real life. I think the best solid advice to hang everything else from is 'learn to survive', then refine it by learning to survive while contributing a meaningful amount in the battle. I think I've learned a lot from YouTube or Twitch, but it keeps coming back to the care streamers take to survive, and usually if they do go yolo they'll say they are, meaning 'don't do this at home'.

• Cool 1

Players
340 posts
612 battles
Vor 2 Stunden, NoobySkooby sagte:

Watching 2k vids (lol) and watching those mentioned streamers which are average among the superunicums will not help...

You will only get individual perspectives and styles of play of those guys which doesn’t necessarily have to fit to your own style to get your individual maximum out of ships and situations. 

learning the basics is mandatory, learning while playing yourself is key.. the more you are able judge and analyse your actions and the results out of it the better you will get.. you can‘t get that from mediocre individual perspectives of guys streaming to a wide mass just for entertainment.

posting videos and asking for comments on mistakes might also be an option.. if you are lucky you will get valid comments by decent players between all the less profound ones.

Besides.. that l2p is mostly thrown around by players who shouldn’t blame anybody else because they are simply in no position to judge others. Same with „noobs“, „git gud“ or „play Tetris“ or whatever smart“ phrases are thrown around by people searching excuses for their own incapabilities..

• Cool 2

[-TPF-]
Players
3,821 posts
15,681 battles
13 minutes ago, rotten_torpedo said:

Watching 2k vids (lol) and watching those mentioned streamers which are average among the superunicums will not help...

I find Notser's videos more useful than many other CCs as he explains what he's doing and why (very useful tips on dodging CV rockets in his recent Le Fantasque review, btw). He's very methodical - there always seems to be a reason for what he's doing - and I think that's the best approach. At any point, ask - what am I doing, and why?

Flamu is great in giving an impression of a ship but I watch his videos and I know that I wouldn't be able aim like that. Like many players of that calibre his game brain just makes those split second decisions on placement and movement faster than mine does! 

3 hours ago, NoobySkooby said:

Some ships just need talent and precision. This is why I don't play them. :cat_bubble:

• Funny 1

[BHSFL]
Players
3,366 posts
13,049 battles

A build and playstyle that promotes survivability means you stay alive for a long time and while being alive can rack up more damage because you can do that for longer, ofcourse have a higher survival rate and get to whack more seriously low HP ships. This is misunderstood as good play, bacause it produces high stats.

But above does not win matches......it promotes camping and sailing around kiting and slipping in and out of concealment.

The ones breaking this mechanism and awkward match long drwaing out stand off balance - and often relatively die  fast doing it - those are the ones that start a chain of events that win matches. But are never rewarded or recognised for it. Even flamed for it.

The ones with above 60 % WR are excellent campers and kiters, have high stats for surviving that long but are not the ones deciding matches. They are merely the ones left alive to reap the rewards of situations  created by those with more fighting spirit.

If all tried to camp and kite and survive forever no one would get above 50 % WR as no one would be able to tip the balance in favor of their side, unless of point attrition. So the ones with higher WR need to be humble and thankfull there even are players that do not as they do.....instead of flaming them !

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 3

Players
340 posts
612 battles
Vor 14 Minuten, Beastofwar sagte:

The ones with above 60 % WR are excellent campers and kiters, have high stats for surviving that long but are not the ones deciding matches. They are merely the ones left alive to reap the rewards of situations  created by those with more fighting spirit.

Simply not true at all.. at least not for all classes and ships.

Sitting back waiting won’t win games.

You can get that easily pushing, capping, first blooding enemy..

Pretty good measurement is also average exp, because it takes into consideration the damaged class, capping, decapping and stuff..

Put that together with damage, K/D, survival rate and all the others stats and achievements available and you will get a pretty good picture of how people play.

To generalize isn’t the way to find true answers at all...

[XTREM]
Players
3,605 posts
10,810 battles

I have similiar experiences.

Gearing vs Shimakaze

With the gearing i am a total waste to my team. No idea why but that DD i cant make it work.

I tried but it's not happening.

But when i play Shimakaze i can totally do stuff. I'm not yet unicum level on shima but i ranked out with a winrate in Shimakaze at 59% which is higher then my random battle shima winrate.

A boat considered by many to have become kind of obsolete is my absolute boat.

If i play BBs except for a few anomalies i'm absolutely terrible. No discussions needed,despite me knowing map awareness and all that i just play them so badly its not even funny.

I have all the knowledge about what to do and what not to but translating it into a game outside my comfort zone (CV).. not possible

• Cool 1

[_FK_]
Players
213 posts
5,447 battles

2 tips:

1: Watch video's that explain stuff. Flamu and Flambass usualy do not explain why or what they are doing, they just show good/funny games. I myself like iChaseGaming video's a lot. Mostly about DD's, but he pauses the game to explain why he is doing stuff and points out stuff on the minimap that are important. Very helpfull.

2: When you die, investigate your own dead. Why where you at that spot? Should you have been there? Who was shooting you? Etc, etc. At the start, I was amazed how often my answer to "Why was I at that spot?" was: "uhhh... no clue?". I learned from that :Smile_Default:

• Cool 1

Players
6,754 posts
245 battles

Also focus on ships you’re good at and go up the lines of those ships as they usually have similar traits later on (usually).

Besides practice and watching your own gameplay and better players there really isnt much you can do unfortunately.

i like the gameplay of bb’s but do average in them, im not good at damaging things in my dd’s despite them giving me a high win ratio usually. Cruisers im getting better at. (I seem to be much better in defensive gameplay rather some players are the opposite some can do both well).

[SHAFT]
Players
9,432 posts
8,808 battles
1 hour ago, Beastofwar said:

giphy.gif

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logic

Doesnt do anything = high WR. In which world does that make any sense? Players have high WR EXACTLY because they decide more games than others :cap_fainting:

• Cool 3

Players
317 posts
7,683 battles
1 hour ago, Beastofwar said:

A build and playstyle that promotes survivability means you stay alive for a long time and while being alive can rack up more damage because you can do that for longer, ofcourse have a higher survival rate and get to whack more seriously low HP ships. This is misunderstood as good play, bacause it produces high stats.

But above does not win matches......it promotes camping and sailing around kiting and slipping in and out of concealment.

The ones breaking this mechanism and awkward match long drwaing out stand off balance - and often relatively die  fast doing it - those are the ones that start a chain of events that win matches. But are never rewarded or recognised for it. Even flamed for it.

If all tried to camp and kite and survive forever no one would get above 50 % WR as no one would be able to tip the balance in favor of their side, unless of point attrition. So the ones with higher WR need to be humble and thankfull there even are players that do not as they do.....instead of flaming them !

What you really mean is those people who rush in and die are the ones that leave your team down a player and struggling to get a win......

Oh they also flame the team for no support as well

• Funny 1