You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Zigiran

What to shoot at CV's?

30 comments in this topic

[TORCH]
Players
134 posts
1,736 battles

Let me start with the disclaimer:

• This is not about the CV rework
  • If you have an opinion about the CV rework, leave it at the door please

Now for the real topic:

What is the best to shoot at CV? I'm asking this because I'm not sure about CV's. They have armoured decks? Only the higher tiers?

So I'm kinda looking for a list like:

T4 CV: with 152 mm guns shoot X, with 203 mm guns shoot Y

T6 CV: etc, etc

T8 CV: etc, etc

(Going here with the (wrong?) assumption that BB's always fire AP at a CV)

Players
5,521 posts
8,172 battles
1 minute ago, Zigiran said:

Now for the real topic:

What is the best to shoot at CV? I'm asking this because I'm not sure about CV's. They have armoured decks? Only the higher tiers?

One does not simply check armor layout in port:Smile_smile:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3

[BHSFL]
[BHSFL]
Players
1,925 posts
6,141 battles
2 hours ago, Zigiran said:

Now for the real topic:

In operations ( Narai ) i have been shooting both AP and HE at the escaping CV with BB, Cruisers and DD and i am still not sure ( at that short range that is ) as overall they perform with very similar results. ( kill speed )

Logic says most CV were armoured cruisers or even battlecruisers before their conversion to CV, so at their hulls AP should be the ammo of choice. Yet the structure under the flight deck and above the original ship main deck ( where the hangars are ) is unarmoured in all CV and takes heavy damage from HE.

Only the UK CV have armoured flight decks, that stop long range plunging fire. AP will do nothing there and HE will probably also shatter.

Players
5,521 posts
8,172 battles
15 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

In operations ( Narai ) i have been shooting both AP and HE at the escaping CV with BB, Cruisers and DD and i am still not sure ( at that short range that is ) as overall they perform with very similar results. ( kill speed )

Logic says most CV were armoured cruisers or even battlecruisers before their conversion to CV, so at their hulls AP should be the ammo of choice. Yet the structure under the flight deck and above the original ship main deck ( where the hangars are ) is unarmoured in all CV and takes heavy damage from HE.

Only the UK CV have armoured flight decks, that stop long range plunging fire. AP will do nothing there and HE will probably also shatter.

Again, if you would actually check armor layout, you would notice you can rake CVs with even small caliber HE across pretty much entire length with exception of armored belt and armored deck if applicable. Only exception is Audacious due to 21mm plating, enough to stop 128mm HE unless IFHE'd or otherwise having improved pen.

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
9,626 posts
15,348 battles

Depends on your own ship and the CV in question.

Players
1,431 posts
5,383 battles

For all CVs as a rule of thumb, where they are broadside and at a distance of about 14km away from you moving at top speed. Aim 10 to 12 ticks in front of their bow and fire AP. You will shred them to pieces!!

CVs have poor belt protection and eat AP like a pig. It is not uncommon to take 30k+ of their HP with one salvo, the thing I find most people struggle with when shooting CVs is how fast they actually move. CVs have cruiser speed and move very quickly.

If a CV is at longer ranges 25km+, then you will need super heavy shells of the US BBs or Yamato Class as most of your shells will land on the top deck which is more heavily armored. 

Montana, Yamato, Musashi with a spotter plane is a good CV sniper combo to penetrate through the top even if the CV is bow-on. 

Players
3,022 posts
3,409 battles

All CVs have the citadel in the middle except the T4 USA which has it at the rear.

CVs are quite blappable. Some have armoured decks but shooting the hull is best anyway.

HE will do the trick most of the time, as they are cruiser-spec. 

The CV King at Narai is weird. I think they change the armour, sometimes. 

I sometimes can even blap it with Hood (get a good broadside salvo and it is gone).

But lately I cannot even kill it with 3 salvoes from Colorado. 

Beta Tester
4,005 posts
15,126 battles

With a lowtier DD it's quite frustrating to try to sink a CV by shooting anything at it (except torps...)

AP doesn't really do much damage...

HE does some damage, but fires are nearly instantly quenched... and in return the CV drops some rockets at you again and again and again causing fires to you...

Can get a bit frustrating... even more so, when you do it in a Yubari, which is supposed to be an AA cruiser, but ends up being helpless against the rockets and the fires they cause.

So I'd say: don't shoot at CVs - let someone else do it ^^

• Cool 2

Players
1,227 posts
3,640 battles

HE I would have though if you are a surface ship, start those fires burning and one tip which was reluctantly told to me was always shoot the stern, take out the engines, perhaps you CV gurus's can digress if this is a feasible tactic or not?

Does seem to work though

Players
5,063 posts
6,257 battles
7 hours ago, Panocek said:

Again, if you would actually check armor layout, you would notice you can rake CVs with even small caliber HE across pretty much entire length with exception of armored belt and armored deck if applicable. Only exception is Audacious due to 21mm plating, enough to stop 128mm HE unless IFHE'd or otherwise having improved pen.

GZ also is 21 mm or more everywhere except superstructure.

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
1,532 posts
6,172 battles
7 hours ago, NoobySkooby said:

HE I would have though if you are a surface ship, start those fires burning and one tip which was reluctantly told to me was always shoot the stern, take out the engines, perhaps you CV gurus's can digress if this is a feasible tactic or not?

Does seem to work though

Problem with relying on DOT and criticals is that fires only last 10 something seconds on a CV, damage control just instantly repair everything and criticals are also repaired faster.

So you can't burn a CV to death, not really. So you are left with HE DPM which on most cruisers is the way to go for raw damage as the hull and deck on up to tier 8 CV's atleast can bounce 203 mm AP reliably where as HE gets penetrations.

• Cool 1

Players
1,227 posts
3,640 battles
1 hour ago, ollonborre said:

Problem with relying on DOT and criticals is that fires only last 10 something seconds on a CV, damage control just instantly repair everything and criticals are also repaired faster.

So you can't burn a CV to death, not really. So you are left with HE DPM which on most cruisers is the way to go for raw damage as the hull and deck on up to tier 8 CV's atleast can bounce 203 mm AP reliably where as HE gets penetrations.

So we are left with AP or torps then depending on what surface ship you are sailing.

Beta Tester
4,005 posts
15,126 battles
On 6/15/2019 at 10:28 AM, NoobySkooby said:

So we are left with AP or torps then depending on what surface ship you are sailing.

Or just spot and hope for the "Big Boys" (= BBs) to wake up and shoot the CV

Beta Tester
4,370 posts
19,067 battles

Crapp is the only legit answer, as they also crapp on you. 

Players
3,022 posts
3,409 battles
On 6/15/2019 at 1:02 AM, NoobySkooby said:

Does seem to work though

The only one that has engines at the rear is the Langley (a converted freighter). 

In that one, it doesn't matter if you take out the engine, theýll put out the rowboat and be even faster.

Rest of the CVs has the engines in the citadel. 

• Cool 1

Players
3,022 posts
3,409 battles
1 hour ago, Deckeru_Maiku said:

Or just spot and hope for the "Big Boys" (= BBs) to wake up and shoot the CV

Yeah, but there's the thing that it needs to stay visible for long enough. 

Most BBs have 30 sec reload or so, and then they need time to aim. 

10 sec detected is not gonna do it. 

[BHSFL]
[BHSFL]
Players
1,925 posts
6,141 battles

I am often shot at by BB after 30 secs into the match......used to think it was some TK griefer, but there are no messages of team damage. But it rarely scratches the paint ususally, hitting the bow as the CV is often placed bow pointing enemy at map start. Enemy planes overflying the allies usually do not last that long that the CV can really be damaged or sunk that way......but it proves you are often in range of the long range big guns.....it only they have ( spotting ) time to aim on you and fire.

But when it was a BB that could have taken a fighter it will regret taking a spotter plane to inrecrease its gun range  not moments later when my torpedo bombers will come for some payback....

Players
264 posts
1,706 battles

With dds I always shoot HE. Gotta have a pretty good aim for that, coz you have to hit the superstructure period.. does work pretty well and u can farm down a cv out of smoke if needed.

Mostly it's better not to have to go for the enemy CV with guns, at least Tier 8 and Tier 10 CVs. If you gotta do that, something went wrong before.

Tier 4 and 6 are no serious threat anyway, Tier 4 not even in hyper unicums hands.

In ranked I witnessed some special CV experts got fragged early on by 3-4 BB salvos.. flew too close to the sun I guess :Smile_unsure:

Players
3,022 posts
3,409 battles
5 hours ago, Beastofwar said:

I am often shot at by BB after 30 secs into the match......used to think it was some TK griefer, but there are no messages of team damage. But it rarely scratches the paint ususally, hitting the bow as the CV is often placed bow pointing enemy at map start. Enemy planes overflying the allies usually do not last that long that the CV can really be damaged or sunk that way......but it proves you are often in range of the long range big guns.....it only they have ( spotting ) time to aim on you and fire.

But when it was a BB that could have taken a fighter it will regret taking a spotter plane to inrecrease its gun range  not moments later when my torpedo bombers will come for some payback....

Well, some high-tier BBs can shoot LOOONG way out, and they know just about the place where you SPAWN.

So what they do, some CVs just sit in spawn the whole match... YES OF COURSE you use the aiming-circle on minimap...

....and then you shoot the CV if he doesn't move his lazy butt. :Smile_trollface:

Players
3,022 posts
3,409 battles
19 minutes ago, CptBarney said:

We just need russian cv’s with superheal and 50mm plating comrades.

Submarine CVs with lasertorps!!!

[WWGU]
Players
481 posts
8,277 battles
7 minutes ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

Flying Submarine CVs with lasertorps!!!

Corrected

scr-6.jpg

Edited by Cambera_1
Added Picture
  • Funny 3

Players
3,022 posts
3,409 battles
7 minutes ago, Cambera_1 said:

Corrected

scr-6.jpg

WRONG flag / camo though.... :Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 2

[WWGU]
Players
481 posts
8,277 battles
4 minutes ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

WRONG flag / camo though.... :Smile_teethhappy:

Didn't want to photoshop it - temped to post the one eyed commander though!

• Funny 2