Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Filipin00

Just HOW do AP bombs work???

6 comments in this topic

Question

[UAC]
Players
659 posts
2,215 battles

I'm having trouble using Graf Zeppelin AP bombs on dive bombers. Little disclaimer: I know about recent buffs nerfs and I know that it's kinda shitty but hear me out.

First I was using them without too much thinking and barely scored any citadel...almost never....

Then I tried controlling aircraft diving speed using boost to slow down or speed up and it kind of seemed to work nicely as I was able to score 5,6 or even 7 citadel hits in one match.

Then after some time it seemed as if that also doesn't work.....:Smile_sad:

Can someone explain me just HOW do they work??? It's all like a damn wild west with this, no consistency!!

Where can one find exact bomb specifications that would be so helpful if I actually knew the pen, the time fuse at which bomb detonates and stuff like that, I don't know of these things I don't know which targets to shoot, nothing!!

5 answers to this question

Quality Poster, In AlfaTesters
1,469 posts
13,410 battles

My basic understanding was that the earlier release of AP bombs causes them to go straighter and later release of AP bombs can cause them to strike at more of an angle

Example with the IJN bomber path, but it displays the basic premise;

image.thumb.png.507d90155a21bdb867c13af6d2c6f249.png

You can use this to control whether you want the bomb to penetrate a lot (straight down) or less so (angled) depending on who your target is, straight penetrating bombs can overpenetrate cruisers and bombs that hit BBs at an angle may not produce sufficient penetration. I believe that the actual penetration of the bomb is not affected by speed or altitude or anything like that, the variable is how they strike. The actual stats are kept from us for now, although

However, with GZ and her circular dispersion ellipse youll find yourself at the mercy of RNG more often than not to determine whether the 2 bombs that get dropped strike anywhere near the citadel or land harmlessly in the water.

Players
9,805 posts
11,484 battles
33 minutes ago, Astolfo_Is_My_Waifu said:

My basic understanding was that the earlier release of AP bombs causes them to go straighter and later release of AP bombs can cause them to strike at more of an angle

Example with the IJN bomber path, but it displays the basic premise;

You can use this to control whether you want the bomb to penetrate a lot (straight down) or less so (angled) depending on who your target is, straight penetrating bombs can overpenetrate cruisers and bombs that hit BBs at an angle may not produce sufficient penetration. I believe that the actual penetration of the bomb is not affected by speed or altitude or anything like that, the variable is how they strike. The actual stats are kept from us for now, although

However, with GZ and her circular dispersion ellipse youll find yourself at the mercy of RNG more often than not to determine whether the 2 bombs that get dropped strike anywhere near the citadel or land harmlessly in the water.

Issue lies more with GZ bomb drop pattern, which is IIRC is considerably shallower than IJN/USN and then drop pattern is circular, basically negating whatever WG buffs will throw at it.

AP bombs in general have very sensitive fuse and short one at that, so they are pretty much guaranteed to arm at main deck. Part that makes or breaks AP bombs is distance from deck to citadel - in more vertical drops from IJN/Enty, you can reach citadels on pretty much all cruisers, German/Russian BB and have chances to do so on hightier USN BB. The shallower drop is, the more distance bomb has to cover before reaching citadel.

Obviously to concern yourself whether bombs will reach citadel you need them to hit, something circular bomb drop of GZ not necessarily guarantees, unless WG makes it pretty much ship wide, which then would make them borderline OP, as it would be guaranteed to hit assuming correct lead:cap_tea:

[THESO]
Players
571 posts
11,385 battles
5 hours ago, Astolfo_Is_My_Waifu said:

You can use this to control whether you want the bomb to penetrate a lot (straight down) or less so (angled) depending on who your target is, straight penetrating bombs can overpenetrate cruisers and bombs that hit BBs at an angle may not produce sufficient penetration.

The "ideal drop zone" in the graph is highly misleading in my eyes. It's ideal to drop early only if the target is such that it's the only way to penetrate the citadel. I've played Ryujo, Shokaku, Hakuryu and Enterprise a fair bit, and I generally use OP bombs only against targets that I can penetrate even when dropping low. My rule of thumb:

• German and Russian BB's: drop low. No need to drop high, and It's common to score multiple citadel hits since the ellipse gets much smaller than the ship. Same goes for some lower tier BB's from other nations such as Nelson.
  • Other BB's: Drop high to penetrate, but it's generally more effective to attack them with torpedoes instead.
  • All cruisers, drop low, since it's easier to score multiple hits.

In short, I try to avoid the "ideal drop zone" in the graph. :Smile_Default: I'm not sure to what extent this applies to Graf Zeppelin since I haven't played it. Penetratrion mechanics should be the same, but no clue about the aiming part.

• Cool 1

[UAC]
Players
659 posts
2,215 battles

I don't have much problem with RNG, I accepted it and that's how it works. The point of this thread is bomb penetration, how much penetration does the bomb have, which targets do I drop, non-armored like cruisers or heavily armored like battleships? I've successfully citadelled yamato and großer kurfürst(and bismarck/tirpitz), but not BBs like amagi or north carolina, succesfully citadelled lower tiered BBs like nagato or nelson, and 50:50 to citadel a cruiser like hipper or charles martel.

I'm baffled :Smile_child:

edit: Though I have one more question regarding aiming. I've noticed inner and outer elipse of aiming reticle joining together the longer I'm waiting to make attack. Does that make ANY difference as to where the bombs will land? It LOOKS like your aim is getting narrower but it's a trick because the maximum dispersion is always the same regardless of the inner elipse.:Smile_unsure:

[UAC]
Players
659 posts
2,215 battles
8 hours ago, asalonen said:

I'm not sure to what extent this applies to Graf Zeppelin since I haven't played it. Penetratrion mechanics should be the same, but no clue about the aiming part.

The only difference is, there is no flying up and then diving, no attack preparation time, they immediately start diving and there is no delay between starting attack and dropping bombs, you can literally double click to start attack and drop the same second.

And the aiming reticle is a circle :P

Sign in to follow this