You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Zigiran

What did I do wrong? (replay)

18 comments in this topic

[TORCH]
Players
134 posts
1,736 battles

Yesterday I played a battle in my Charles Martel and at the end somebody asked in general chat to report me for throwing the game.

I translate this as "You did something wrong and should have done something better, but I'm not telling you what you did wrong".

Which I find not very usefull.

So here is my question: what did I do wrong and made it look like I "threw the game"?

And also: any other tips about how to improve my play? I know I play a bit scared, but that is because I am scared of T10 and T9 BB's in my T8 CR.

Extra info:

• The person who said that, seemed like a good player and ended up first in our team, so I guess he is right that I made some mistake.
  • The Charles Martel is my first T8 cruiser and my 2nd T8 ship in general. So yeah, I'm pretty new here.
  • I have only played 6 games in my Charles Martel, 5 of them losses, so it is still completely stock.

Oh, and as a general tip: if you think somebody doesn't play very well, instead of insulting and reporting them, please consider they might be new'ish and are open for tips... :Smile_child:

20190613_182048_PFSC108-Charles-Martel_47_Sleeping_Giant.wowsreplay

• Cool 10

[-AP-]
Players
1,434 posts
3,595 battles

Cant look at the replay right now as im not home, but i can say that you certainly have the right mindset to become a very very good player

• Cool 2

[DAVY]
Players
2,504 posts
49 minutes ago, Zigiran said:

Yesterday I played a battle in my Charles Martel and at the end somebody asked in general chat to report me for throwing the game.

I translate this as "You did something wrong and should have done something better, but I'm not telling you what you did wrong".

So here is my question: what did I do wrong and made it look like I "threw the game"?

And also: any other tips about how to improve my play? I know I play a bit scared, but that is because I am scared of T10 and T9 BB's in my T8 CR.

Extra info:

• The person who said that, seemed like a good player and ended up first in our team, so I guess he is right that I made some mistake.
  • The Charles Martel is my first T8 cruiser and my 2nd T8 ship in general. So yeah, I'm pretty new here.
  • I have only played 6 games in my Charles Martel, 5 of them losses, so it is still completely stock.

Oh, and as a general tip: if you think somebody doesn't play very well, instead of insulting and reporting them, please consider they might be new'ish and are open for tips... :Smile_child:

You should have forgot about the Republic as he was out of the game that far from cap and instead killed the Russian BB with your team mates and then capped the other 2 caps. The Republic then wouldn't have a spotter close and you and your team mates could just sit quietly and win on cap points.

A battle your team should have won with a bit more thought. :Smile_smile:

Players
1,927 posts
10,601 battles

1) You were too passive at the start, especially on a flank where you overwhelmingly outnumber the enemy team. Kinda wasted opportunity.  

2) That part where you were between A and B, you should have known you cannot shoot over the island, yet you spent a couple of minutes there abusing the island with your shells. Better off either following the Conq and Yamato and sail towards A or just make a quick turn back to C instead of that reversing thing.

3) The reason why you were reported was because you decided to yolo rush the Republic, which you would not have been able to kill even if you got your torps off. Would have been better if you stuck at range and make use of the long range afforded to French CAs and HE spam that Republic while sailing towards B and  try to cap it as you were the fastest ship left. If you were afraid of the Soyuz, then ask the CV to scout first before popping into B.

Basically you played too safe when you could have played aggressively and too aggressive when you should have played safe :Smile_veryhappy:

Also, remember points win the game, especially in domination. You dying=lost points. You not capping or at least stall the enemy cap points=more points for the enemy.

• Cool 1

[TORCH]
Players
134 posts
1,736 battles
9 minutes ago, bushwacker001 said:

You should have forgot about the Republic as he was out of the game that far from cap and instead killed the Russian BB with your team mates and then capped the other 2 caps. The Republic then wouldn't have a spotter close and you and your team mates could just sit quietly and win on cap points.

A battle your team should have won with a bit more thought. :Smile_smile:

I was afraid that if I went for the Russian BB, the Republic would have my broadside.

So I thought to engage the Republic to distract it, so my 2 friendly BB's could kill the Russian BB in B and cap it.

Sadly, that did not happen and I got a salvo in my broadside from that Russian BB :Smile_sad: Which kinda ended my game.

[TORCH]
Players
134 posts
1,736 battles
1 minute ago, pra3y said:

Basically you played too safe when you could have played aggressively and too aggressive when you should have played safe :Smile_veryhappy:

Yeah, I find this the hardest part playing a cruiser: when to go for it and when not... :fish_nerv:

Players
1,927 posts
10,601 battles
8 minutes ago, Zigiran said:

Yeah, I find this the hardest part playing a cruiser: when to go for it and when not... :fish_nerv:

Its easy. It applies to every class tbh. Just look at the minimap. If you notice at the start, majority of the enemy ships decided to go to A, with that about 3/4 at C. Out of the 4, the shima was killed more or less right off the bat, leaving only 2 ships that were camped next to the island. If it were me i would have just pushed C, stay at distance and harass the BB and CA that were camping by the island. Only the BB could have 1 shot you and 1 BB is honestly not engh to put much pressure on a CA anyway.

16 minutes ago, Zigiran said:

I was afraid that if I went for the Russian BB, the Republic would have my broadside.

So I thought to engage the Republic to distract it, so my 2 friendly BB's could kill the Russian BB in B and cap it.

Sadly, that did not happen and I got a salvo in my broadside from that Russian BB :Smile_sad: Which kinda ended my game.

Again minimap. The 2 friendly BBs (especially that godawful bismark) would have never made it to the cap in time as compared to you.

Even if you wanted to yolo rush the Republic, you showed it too much broadside. You probably should have used speed boost, bow towards the Republic, torp it and go in its opp direction away from itbwhile HE spamming him (if you can picture it)

[CATS]
Players
17,347 posts
11,710 battles
3 hours ago, Zigiran said:

That is one of the key challenges of this game.

But asking yourself or others what you could have done better is the first step to really get better!

With that attitude you are an rare exception here. :Smile_great:

[TORCH]
Players
134 posts
1,736 battles
23 minutes ago, pra3y said:

Even if you wanted to yolo rush the Republic, you showed it too much broadside. You probably should have used speed boost, bow towards the Republic, torp it and go in its opp direction away from itbwhile HE spamming him (if you can picture it)

Sadly, I can't seem to watch my own replays (steam version + replay = bad combo somehow).

But if I remember correctly, I only turned away from the Rebublic after I lost most my hp from that russian BB salvo. At that point I tried to run, but failed.

But like I said, this is from memory, I might remember it wrongly.

Played another game in my Charles Martel, lost again. Played a game in my Omaha while waiting for my Charles to become available again, got 1975 base xp :Smile_amazed:

Both ships are very similair, right? Yet... I can make an Omaha work, but not a Charles Martel :Smile_facepalm:

[NWP]
Players
1,461 posts
10,421 battles

I’ll gladly look at this later or tomo as I love and am pretty alright in cruisers, especially French ones.

[B0TS]
[B0TS]
Players
176 posts
8,265 battles
2 hours ago, Zigiran said:

Extra info:

This is an example (the post itself) where people starts to feel ashamed calling others useless potatoes/noobs/or worse.

Among thousands of brain dead monkeys who "plays for fun without understanding a single english word" there are people like this one who may care about their performance and looking for the ways to improve but as i know from experience myself it takes time.

Next time i call someone a noob i will have in mind it may be a person like you.

• Cool 7

[NWP]
Players
5,173 posts
6,629 battles

Just had a quick look at it, i wanna start with some general stuff:

- Try to use as many premium consumables as you can. Should take atleast DCP/Reload booster for the CM (for ships with heal, ofc that too then).

- The times you used reload booster were a bit questionable imo :cap_hmm:

Spoiler

shot-19_06.14_19_22.28-0101.thumb.jpg.bdf995236f224fe34ffe0e2e56053546.jpg

Here the DM is showing broadside after accelerating. Reload Booster + AP could have smacked him couple or even 3 times. In this instance, the DM died anyway, but often enough it can happen that the enemy doesnt die...

Specifically for playstyle:

- Overall too passive imo. You had early spotting because of the CV. 3 BBs were spotted going towards A. BBs are your biggest enemy, cruisers usually cant kill you that fast, unless you really [edited]up.

- Sometimes you could spam over islands, but you dont. And when you cant spam over islands, you try to do it :cap_haloween: Its just a learning process, when you can island spam, and when not to. French Cruisers are more open water longrange HE spammer. F.e. when the enemy BBs were rolling through B, and your BBs were ahead of you. Maybe you should have just moved out and shot too. Potentially they shoot you, yes. But good chance, your Yamato would have survived in return, even if he was stupid showing full broadside. But they cant kill both of you at the same time.

- RU BBs have thick plating, you deal no damage with HE, try shooting AP with the CM at midrange broadside, as 203mm should pen the upper belt. Or you have to aim more for the superstructure with HE.

- In the end, i think you might have gotten undetected. You still were because of your gunbloom. You dont rush BBs - period. Some Cruisers can do it, CM shouldnt do it. Its covered in thin plating getting overmatched everywhere. Repub has fast reload, you cant turn between shots. Several different scenarios might have prevented you rushing towards the BB in the end : Being less passive before, thus killing the other BBs earlier or shoot over the islands at C instead of running away and/or shooting AP at the BB broadside. Might have enabled you to go towards B and cap it instead.

56 minutes ago, Zigiran said:

But if I remember correctly, I only turned away from the Rebublic after I lost most my hp from that russian BB salvo. At that point I tried to run, but failed. 

But like I said, this is from memory, I might remember it wrongly. 

The RU BB shot HE at you, as you got 2 fires from it. The Repu blapped you with AP because he can overmatch you basicly everywhere (and was a frontal Cita i think).

As i said above: You dont want to be in a position rushing towards a full HP BB.

• Cool 1

[TORCH]
Players
134 posts
1,736 battles

I guess memory ain't what it used to be :Smile_veryhappy:

Thanks for all the tips, I will try to improve myself.

[PN]
Players
609 posts
4,313 battles

I ll tell you what you did right.

Your post was the best thing you did.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
619 posts
4,575 battles

TL;DR what you did wrong: You are playing too passive, a good mayority of your battleships where glue eaters, after your Yamato died at the end, you should've rushed into B cap with speedboost and torpedoed and killed the battleship there while he is busy fighting your Conqueror,  let your carrier kill the Vlad and the Rep at the end was questionably useless.

Oh, and always use premium consumables.

Players
66 posts
8,622 battles

A quick list:

- It toke u 6 minutes to do any damage.

- Slow reactions to overall situation

- You play a fast speed, poorly armored and long range HE spammer like a US T10 island camper cruiser. That's a no no.

- No tactical advantage

- No map control

- You were not a threat to enemy

- No premium repair or fighter

Experience players would:

- Get to a tactical flanking position quickly and not hesitating in the beginning what to do.

- Get their guns working early on and the whole round. When your guns aren't firing you are pretty much useless. Way too much downtime with your guns because of poor tactical positioning. 

- Look at minimap and notice when u need push and then go for it hard.

- Get flanking position with Martel. It has speed and DPM. You play it as a pesky long range spammer and burn everything. You disengage and go dark if you enemy gives you too much interest and then return when they turn their guns away from you. Always try to get a flanking or rear position and keep them guns working. You buy time for your teammates when enemy BBs start being annoyed with you and waste their salvoes on you. 

- When you are constant annoyance to enemy ships in the flank that is when you pose a threat, have tactical advantage and map control. New players just go with the flow like sheep and pose no real threat and gain no map control.

Follow your own stats and compare them to higher level players stats. Just so you get an understanding of how experienced players can do with ships.

[OGHF]
Players
158 posts
5,168 battles

O/P do you have the range upgrade unlocked?  I've just got the CM too and found that it was much harder to play well in a T10 match without that!

[TORCH]
Players
134 posts
1,736 battles
4 hours ago, MyopicHedgehog said:

O/P do you have the range upgrade unlocked?  I've just got the CM too and found that it was much harder to play well in a T10 match without that!

No, like I said in the first post, it was stock during that match.

However, I did have more games yesterday, unlocked both the B-hull (thank god for that rudder shift improvement) and the range upgrade. Now working on the gun upgrade.

I also did switch to premium consumables (at least for DCP, speed and reload).

The games yesterday went better, but it is a work in progress.

Again, thank you all for the tips, I will try to improve as much as I can.