Sign in to follow this  
Lea_Flamma

Ibuki - what to make of it?

16 comments in this topic

Players
77 posts
1,920 battles

Hey there, fellow players!

I come to you in times of dire need. I upgraded my Mogami into an Ibuki. And hoooo boy is it a problem. I struggle to do things in this ship. Like... At all. I am not sure what the problem is. Mogami was quite decent, in the way it could throw shells at ships while kiting away and let some torpedos at them at the same time. Somehow when I try the same playstyle on Ibuki, I get blaped with an AP volley from a BB that east almost my entire HP every time. This ship eats citadels like they are lottery tokens. On the other hand, 15km range forces you to get into the range of half of the enemy fleet. I do not know if I just had bad luck with maps or what, but the ship seems like a massive downgrade from Mogami.

AA is lacking compared to the previous tier. Given that I am running naked on it now, so it will probably change with the hull upgrade.

HE spam is problematic, as lemming trains usualy stay way out of your range or force you to shoot from open water.

Kiting is problematic, as you eat AP citadels even when angled.

Ship is an automatic magnet for attention, every time I get spotted, no matter what other ships are nearby and no matter my angling, the detection jumps to 5+.

Just what is this ship supposed to do? Going with the lemming train seems like the obvious, but most of the time you get blapped by BBs AP due to CV spotting you. Going solo is not an option, as any ship solo gets utterly destroyed by CVs. Sticking close to DDs might be an idea, byt again CVs will wreck you up, as a DD does not offer much in regards to overlapping AA bubbles.

I just fail to find a role for the ship in the current meta. It might be because I am running without upgrades. But the ship feels extremely weak.

PS.

For reference, I am not against squishy ships. Atlanta is one of my favourite T7 Cruisers. And I am having a blast on the Tier VI RN Cruiser I forgot the name of... Leander? It is just that Atlanta and Leander have clear roles for itself. Ibuki seems like a HE spammer that lacks range to compete in the current CV+Snipefest meta.

[INTRO]
[INTRO]
Players
1,437 posts
16,622 battles

Use Gun Fire Control System Modification 2. Sit back. Spam HE.

That's how it was played back when I grinded it.

EDIT: To the person who gave me a thumb down. That was over three years ago. Things change.

• Bad 1

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
2,085 posts
8,425 battles

Yup just equip the range mod and don't look back. Spam BB's at long range and only move close if you have an escape plan and/or have a friendly DD in front of you that you can support and maybe blap the enemy DD. The Ibuki does not offer that much over the 155 Mogami but it is a fairly easy grind. Not interesting or very fun as you explode as soon as someone looks at you but easy nonetheless thanks to the long range HE playstyle.

The Zao offers much more with better turret placement, railguns, troll armor and 12 km torps so it is worth sticking with it.

Players
984 posts
20,295 battles

Mostly Long Range HE Spam in the Early Game. Use range Modul. Try to survive till mid/lategame. 

I liked the grind. Since i played it, they buffed accuracy. That should have made the Ship even better. 

Players
8,046 posts
8,879 battles

How the hell did you survive Mogami that has basically the same armour module without a 30 mm deck? Like, apart from this deck, which reduces the amount of citpens you get, the Ibuki is a full on repeat, now with a repair party.

As for the role of the ship, the ship is your typical IJN cruiser, using speed and concealment to get into positions from where it can farm people who don't pay attention or kite them, trying to dodge incoming fire. Ship can be played with range mod, which gives you some immense range, though personally I opted for reload mod to get actual dpm out of the ship, which becomes quite comparable to Zao. Also, it's nice having 19+ km range, but unlike Zao, your shells need way too long to get there, so I prefer to not bother and use spotter plane for the odd occasion where I want to shoot far.

Players
77 posts
1,920 battles
2 godziny temu, Cagliostro_chan napisał:

How the hell did you survive Mogami that has basically the same armour module without a 30 mm deck? Like, apart from this deck, which reduces the amount of citpens you get, the Ibuki is a full on repeat, now with a repair party.

Lucky I guess? Picking when to shoot and when not to? I found Mogami to be much more survivable than Ibuki. But then again... I find Yukikaze to be an excellent DD... With just a 1.9 km AA range... 8km torps on tier VIII and no Torpedo Reload Booster... Yeah I am strange.

I will try the range mod, not sure what I slotted on it. But defenitely don't have 19km range... That would make the ship much more better. I find the engagement ranges of aprox 17km the most common in the current games. Just lots of long range shell throwing.

Players
9,804 posts
11,484 battles

One thing not helping Ibuki is how effective Mogami in CL config is, but armor and survivability wise, they are identical. Range upgrade is safe option, if you learn The Way of the Island, you can take Reload upgrade for extra pew pew. That and Ibuki is much more likely to face T10 ships, which pretty much universally improve upon accuracy/salvo damage/reload/everything:cap_tea:

And before anyone comes reeeeing about "IJN high velocity guns can't lob shells over islands" - only Zao have railguns, IJN CA from Furrytaco to iBucky have pretty much identical ballistics to USN heavy cruisers. And if they can lob shells, nippons can do so just as well.

And speaking of Zao, I find her to be surprisingly a downgrade to the point I've rebought iBucky. Guns and 12km torps are noice, but noticeably slower turret traverse, shorter range coupled with outstanding ballistics makes her pretty damn tricky to play around islands with Reload upgrade. That and atrocious firing angles on 4th turret.

4 hours ago, Lea_Flamma said:

AA is lacking compared to the previous tier. Given that I am running naked on it now, so it will probably change with the hull upgrade.

Actually, Ibuki loses on AA with hull upgrade.

With stock hull, DP guns provide their pew pew in shape of 130dps and 5 flaks@1470 from 5.8km to 1.9km, where short range opens up with 464dps.

Top hull cuts down DP guns range to 5.8km-3.5km, then 40mm Bofors deliver pinch more dps (145), but have only 4 flaks@910. And then short range is reduced to 361dps.

:cap_book:

Players
8,046 posts
8,879 battles
1 hour ago, Lea_Flamma said:

Lucky I guess? Picking when to shoot and when not to? I found Mogami to be much more survivable than Ibuki. But then again... I find Yukikaze to be an excellent DD... With just a 1.9 km AA range... 8km torps on tier VIII and no Torpedo Reload Booster... Yeah I am strange.

I will try the range mod, not sure what I slotted on it. But defenitely don't have 19km range... That would make the ship much more better. I find the engagement ranges of aprox 17km the most common in the current games. Just lots of long range shell throwing.

I wouldn't call it lucky and 17 km range engagements I do not consider the norm, if you want to have actual impact. If you want to fight like that, go play French cruisers, Saint Louis is better for that. Heck, Donskoi is a better ship for that. Ibuki has sub-10 km detection and such detection should be used to actually get the best results out of the ship.

29 minutes ago, Panocek said:

One thing not helping Ibuki is how effective Mogami in CL config is, but armor and survivability wise, they are identical.

30 mm deck. Repair party. Very much a survivability upgrade.

32 minutes ago, Panocek said:

And before anyone comes reeeeing about "IJN high velocity guns can't lob shells over islands" - only Zao have railguns, IJN CA from Furrytaco to iBucky have pretty much identical ballistics to USN heavy cruisers. And if they can lob shells, nippons can do so just as well.

And speaking of Zao, I find her to be surprisingly a downgrade to the point I've rebought iBucky. Guns and 12km torps are noice, but noticeably slower turret traverse, shorter range coupled with outstanding ballistics makes her pretty damn tricky to play around islands with Reload upgrade. That and atrocious firing angles on 4th turret.

I was pretty meh on Zao too, most of all because no real dpm upgrade and the torp angles and torp reload are very restrictive. But I grew to appreciate the ship. Imo, the main improvement over the Ibuki is the better gun velocity and the range (with range mod or legendary mod, otherwise turrets don't turn), which you are far better at exploiting, given the higher velocity. The Zao also gives far less reaction time to targets due to shell velocity.

Lastly, with legendary upgrade, I run the propulsion mod, which pretty much gives good rudder and good propulsion and makes for a very dodgy ship. I still have the Ibuki (I have all IJN CAs except Aoba and Azuma in port still) and consider her a good T9 ship, but Zao is a decent upgrade imo.

[DUXTR]
Alpha Tester
933 posts

Jupp. As other mentioned. Be a REMF and spam HE. And always be turning.

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,710 posts
5,256 battles
6 minutes ago, Cagliostro_chan said:

Not to mention better AA, which is kind of important in this CV heavy meta.

Players
77 posts
1,920 battles

AA still does not allow you to abuse the stealth to flank. And it just feels like this ship wants to force itself into a crossfire on enemy ships. You get utterly demolished even with DefAA and fighter consumable.

I will try to do more of the HE shell lobbing. As for my island dakk dakk skills, as I mentioned... One of my favourite ships is the Atlanta. But I wish to try the other lines as well and I definietely want to grab the Zao, it just seems like something I would enjoy. The stealth and gun power is very nice. I am currently pushing IJN and RN cruisers, although yesterday returned to USN as well. IJN sits at Tier IX, RN at VI and USN at V. So yeah, lots of work ahead of me.

It seems, like my biggest problem is not really knowing which spots on the map are good for me... Time to play a bit more.

Players
9,804 posts
11,484 battles
2 minutes ago, Cagliostro_chan said:

I was pretty meh on Zao too, most of all because no real dpm upgrade and the torp angles and torp reload are very restrictive. But I grew to appreciate the ship. Imo, the main improvement over the Ibuki is the better gun velocity and the range (with range mod or legendary mod, otherwise turrets don't turn), which you are far better at exploiting, given the higher velocity. The Zao also gives far less reaction time to targets due to shell velocity.

Lastly, with legendary upgrade, I run the propulsion mod, which pretty much gives good rudder and good propulsion and makes for a very dodgy ship. I still have the Ibuki (I have all IJN CAs except Aoba and Azuma in port still) and consider her a good T9 ship, but Zao is a decent upgrade imo.

30mm plating is becoming increasingly useless with more and more 430mm+ battleships around.

Repair Party is handy, but then its not unique to Ibuki, same story with Charles Martel and Saint Louis - most upgrades comes from having access to tier 9 goodies than ship itself is improved.

Another reason why I'm not thrilled by Zao is fact I own both Moskva for ultimate railgun experience as well Henri IV, which packs Zao grade HE with comparable ballistics and have no need for main battery range upgrade straight out of the box, sprinkled with 51mm IFHE pen, MBRB and Engine Boost.

Players
8,046 posts
8,879 battles
7 minutes ago, lafeel said:

Not to mention better AA, which is kind of important in this CV heavy meta.

No its not, because it's still too crap to matter.

4 minutes ago, Lea_Flamma said:

AA still does not allow you to abuse the stealth to flank. And it just feels like this ship wants to force itself into a crossfire on enemy ships. You get utterly demolished even with DefAA and fighter consumable.

I will try to do more of the HE shell lobbing. As for my island dakk dakk skills, as I mentioned... One of my favourite ships is the Atlanta. But I wish to try the other lines as well and I definietely want to grab the Zao, it just seems like something I would enjoy. The stealth and gun power is very nice. I am currently pushing IJN and RN cruisers, although yesterday returned to USN as well. IJN sits at Tier IX, RN at VI and USN at V. So yeah, lots of work ahead of me.

It seems, like my biggest problem is not really knowing which spots on the map are good for me... Time to play a bit more.

Playing around concealment doesn't mean going on solo adventures around the flanks. You can do that if the enemy CV does not exist or is too bad to exploit your weak positioning. But for example, one of the more common examples of playing around concealment is fire support for DDs, following them just so they spot enemy DDs before these would spot you, so you can unleash a 10 gun pinpoint accuracy salvo of IJN HE and take out like 7k hp from a DD, deciding cap fights easily. Is that flank play? No. Is it vulnerable to AA? Only if there is no good AA around to join up with, in which case the whole cap push was dumb. Is it going to get you killed by BB? Hopefully not, as most caps have islands around which you can use to reduce the angles from which you get shot at. Additionally, you can preemptively turn around so by the time you open up, you already are moving away again, ready to dodge.

1 minute ago, Panocek said:

30mm plating is becoming increasingly useless with more and more 430mm+ battleships around.

Repair Party is handy, but then its not unique to Ibuki, same story with Charles Martel and Saint Louis - most upgrades comes from having access to tier 9 goodies than ship itself is improved.

Another reason why I'm not thrilled by Zao is fact I own both Moskva for ultimate railgun experience as well Henri IV, which packs Zao grade HE with comparable ballistics and have no need for main battery range upgrade straight out of the box, sprinkled with 51mm IFHE pen, MBRB and Engine Boost.

There's 6 ships you'll encounter on a regular basis with 430+ mm guns, which are Georgia, Musashi, Kreml, Republique, Thunderer and Yamato. There's a plethora of T8-10 BBs with smaller guns. The value of 30 mm plating is decreasing, but nowhere to the point that it is not an upgrade, compared to Mogami and it's 25 mm plating, overmatchable by anything that is T8+ as well as half the T6s and T7s. Heck, if you consider ships like Colbert and Smolensk, those actually should increase the value of 30 mm plating.

And sure, you can say you aren't thrilled because Moskva and Henri exist, but Moskva overall is a fundamentally different playstyle and Henri is somewhat different and overall acknowledged to overperform even by WG. Though, it should be stated that Zao is likely one of the best cruisers other than another Henri to counter Henri, due to the heavy and accurate HE salvo, combined with superb maneuverability and concealment for a cruiser.

Players
77 posts
1,920 battles

Installed the range mod and today managed to get the research upgrade to range. Could someone tell, what is the range with reload modification and the +10% to range? Right now I have 19.1 km and it's a tad overkill. But I am too poor to just swap mods and test.

On a bright note, with the range mod I managed to hit a much higher AVG damage per game.

Players
8,046 posts
8,879 battles
1 minute ago, Lea_Flamma said:

Installed the range mod and today managed to get the research upgrade to range. Could someone tell, what is the range with reload modification and the +10% to range? Right now I have 19.1 km and it's a tad overkill. But I am too poor to just swap mods and test.

On a bright note, with the range mod I managed to hit a much higher AVG damage per game.

16.5 km

Players
77 posts
1,920 battles
21 godzin temu, Cagliostro_chan napisał:

16.5 km

* goes to hide under a rock * I was complaining myself at the 15km range of naked Ibuki... +10% would be 16.5km... I am a dumb duck xD

On a side note... 19.1km lead to 168k damage, 6 kills and a loss, when enemy DD survived a rocket attack with 27hp and ticked to 1000 points.

Edited by Lea_Flamma
typo

Sign in to follow this