You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
anonym_2hneAFaIyP4T

Getting cheesy about ranked sprint at T7...

Which ship should I take out...  

65 members have voted

1. 1. What ship should I choose for the T7 ranked sprint...

• Grind Leander and get Fiji
    • Grind Gaede and get Maass
    • Grind Bayern and get Gneis (Secondary build captain - 10pts BFT/AFT!)
    • Grind Farragut and get Mahan
    • Grind Fubuki and get Akatsuki
    • Buy-back Jervis
    • Buy-back New Orleans
    • Buy-back Colorado
    • Just play Leningrad with a gunboat DD captain (no EM, no CE)
    • edit: Forgot I have Nelson which I suck in...

39 comments in this topic

Players
606 posts

This is hardly a make or break decision, but as I have a few options before me and no real preference, I could do with some tips/reasons  (that I have probably overlooked) on the best ship to take out.

I only have 1 T7 ship in port - Lenningrad. And I suck in it and I don't have a dedicated captain. So, which of these (if any) would you recommend the most for taking into T7 ranked sprint...

I currently have the T6 ship for each of the first 5 options, but will only have time to grind one of them in time. And most of them I've only played a few battles in.

The other 3 options (6,7 and 8) I have sold but could rebuy.

And then 9 is obviously the one I have.

Base on grind progress so far etc, my feeling is go with Leander-Fiji grind but not sure how that will fare with Belfast/Indianapolis spam... might a secondary build Gneis be a good pick?

[CR33D]
[CR33D]
Players
2,752 posts
26,557 battles

IMO, among all those ships, Fiji, Mahan, Jervis and Nelson would be my choices but that depend on what class are you the best in it. Don't use Colorado, there are way better choices then NO, Maas could be good just as Leni and Akatsuki but I after buffs I would choose Mahan over them.

• Cool 1

Players
1,794 posts
12,569 battles

The ship/class you feel more comfortable with really so you can help your team the most.

It doesn't matter if the best ship for ranked is this one or that one if you don't know how to make her work yet.

In the absence of CVs, DDs will be the most important ships out there, so if you are not very good with them I'd avoid using them.

So looking at your numbers, I'd say Colorado.

[BHSFL]
Players
3,383 posts

It all depends what your favorite play style and favorite class is.....my guess is you continue in what you enjoy most.

One thing is certain : there will be no CV so concealment will be a deciding factor that now actually will work optimal. And you can use weak AA ships ( many type DD ) without penalty.

Players
9,818 posts
11,519 battles

Bigger question, why you don't have Fiji to start with?:cap_tea:

Maass is one solid pick for a DD, solid gunpower, torps and quackload of hp but she is bigger than average and as such concealment suffers (6.8km). Which can be detrimental when presumably you would be against Gadjah Mada.

Players
1,983 posts
13,026 battles

Grind TRB Shira :cap_haloween: but seriously play one of T7s you did best in because better choices are ships you played already than something new that you will learn in ranked IMHO even sprint is not the best environment to learn how to play a new ship.

Beta Tester
908 posts
9,163 battles

Fiji gonna be so good in ranked, but I got the Payfast so my choice is aready set.                     

• Cool 2

[LADA]
Players
544 posts
8,391 battles

Fiji, Fiji, and Fiji. 

Fast / agile CL + RN smoke + much dakka + decent torpedoes + useable hydro + good concealment. 

Nothing is off the menu when it comes to targets - you have tools for whatever you happen to come across.

• Cool 4

Players
606 posts

Thanks for all the useful tips folks... trend is looking favourable to Fiji at the moment (excluding my vote:fish_boom:) so given my resistance to retrain captains back to ships I've already ground (I'm saving elite captain XP for my final 'leap' to get my first 19pt captain) it's probably going to be that... hopefully I can grind it quick enough to get a bit comfortable in it in randoms too.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
278 posts
6,305 battles

Fiji or Belfast if you have one. They are both brutal in their own way. 

Fiji has heal and smoke which gives you an instant advantage versus any other cruiser.

Belfast has radar and smoke which give you a badass DD counter, plus she can burn down BB's...

• Cool 1

[BHSFL]
Players
3,383 posts

But..but...

If every player has the same original idea, and almost every ship is a Fiji/Belfast......then they won't give any advantage anymore would they ?

Is it not better then to anticipate on this and bring a Fiji/Belfast killer ?  There are specialized cruiser killers, and you won't need AA defence consumable and can swap that freely to pop the little smokers....

[-TPF-]
Players
3,824 posts
15,716 battles

For silvers, I would probably go with Fiji or Yorck for cruisers. Yorck is much underrated. Lyon would be my BB choice (bring as many guns as possible), with Mahan as the DD - lots of 9k torps for sticking into Belfast smoke clouds. 

• Cool 1

[BOBS3]
Players
1,009 posts
18,582 battles

Watch out for Haida too! Suspect it'll be more than a guest appearance.

:cap_cool:

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,798 posts
6,647 battles

What, no mention of the mighty Atlanta ;)

Players
2,878 posts
16,275 battles

Fiji. Dont bother with anything but Fiji and DDs (if you are good in them).

Fiji is the most overpowered silver ship in the game (exempting CVs)

It's probably even superior to the Belfast due to having heal and torps (I played both during last tier 7 Ranked and either was very good).

Tier 7 radar isn't so long ranged or mobile (Indianapolis can't move from it's starting island or it will instantly explode to BB fire)

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
908 posts
9,163 battles
1 hour ago, invicta2012 said:

For silvers, I would probably go with Fiji or Yorck for cruisers. Yorck is much underrated. Lyon would be my BB choice (bring as many guns as possible), with Mahan as the DD - lots of 9k torps for sticking into Belfast smoke clouds. 

I'd stay away from the Lyon. Yes, it has the most amount of guns on a battleship in the game, but it also has 1-5 sigma or something so you will almost never hit anything. If you want to play  only battleships, it has to be either Sinop with bs lazer guns or Gneisenau with awesome armor.

[BHSFL]
Players
3,383 posts

Atlanata is very squishy, but it does bring radar and hydro.....may not be wasted as support ship if the whole map is covered in smoke hiding enemies....it maybe should be paired with the likes of the Scharnhorst Cruiser killer with BB armour....

But these are premiums, useless suggestion if OP wants to grind to certain ships.

[-TPF-]
Players
3,824 posts
15,716 battles
34 minutes ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

Fiji. Dont bother with anything but Fiji and DDs (if you are good in them).

DDs are going to have a nightmare.  The games are going to be filled with radar and hydro light cruisers with thousands of guns. Fiji, Belfast, Helena, Boise, Atlanta, Flint. You either need to be really fast, really stealthy, or have long range torpedoes to poke smoke screens. I would not be bringing a Jervis, as great as she is. 

12 minutes ago, Sturmtiger_304 said:

it has to be either Sinop with bs lazer guns or Gneisenau with awesome armor.

I do not have a Russian battleship and really, the only ship worse at hitting things than Lyon is Gneisenau.  I have a Scharnhorst, which will be a popular ship (but I hate it, and the thought of playing 50 games in it horrifies me). 

I am looking at the maps we'll be using (epicentre, especially) and thinking a bit of mobile long range HE spam against static enemies will go well. Hence the Yorck suggestion - she has very long range (longer than all of the above cruisers), good HE and is strong in a brawl -  and perhaps KGV. 

Players
340 posts
612 battles
Vor 5 Stunden, Rusty_9 sagte:

This is hardly a make or break decision, but as I have a few options before me and no real preference, I could do with some tips/reasons  (that I have probably overlooked) on the best ship to take out.

I only have 1 T7 ship in port - Lenningrad. And I suck in it and I don't have a dedicated captain. So, which of these (if any) would you recommend the most for taking into T7 ranked sprint...

I currently have the T6 ship for each of the first 5 options, but will only have time to grind one of them in time. And most of them I've only played a few battles in.

The other 3 options (6,7 and 8) I have sold but could rebuy.

And then 9 is obviously the one I have.

Base on grind progress so far etc, my feeling is go with Leander-Fiji grind but not sure how that will fare with Belfast/Indianapolis spam... might a secondary build Gneis be a good pick?

Sims and Blysz might be my kind of choice.

Voted Fubu and Aka for you just in case you want to enjoy the full stealth torping experience without CVs :Smile_trollface:

[BONUS]
Beta Tester
3,042 posts
10,628 battles
5 hours ago, Beastofwar said:

But..but...

If every player has the same original idea, and almost every ship is a Fiji/Belfast......then they won't give any advantage anymore would they ?

Is it not better then to anticipate on this and bring a Fiji/Belfast killer ?  There are specialized cruiser killers, and you won't need AA defence consumable and can swap that freely to pop the little smokers....

Two Belfast or two Fiji or a Fiji plus a Belfast working together are worth 2 1/2 ships.

[LADA]
Players
544 posts
8,391 battles
1 hour ago, invicta2012 said:

DDs are going to have a nightmare.  The games are going to be filled with radar and hydro light cruisers with thousands of guns. Fiji, Belfast, Helena, Boise, Atlanta, Flint. You either need to be really fast, really stealthy, or have long range torpedoes to poke smoke screens. I would not be bringing a Jervis, as great as she is. 

^^ This.

It's going to be a whacky mix of CLs running around like they've got wasps down their trousers and loooots of shells in the air - I suspect games will be over quite a bit quicker than usual...

I might wheel out the Hood as a fast but tanky BB. The tactic being that of outlasting the first frantic 3 minutes of the game whereupon half the teams have decimated eachother in an IFHE/SAP fireball.