Jump to content
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Puffin_

Lexington- What upgrades to choose?

61 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[HAMAR]
Players
347 posts

I finally got Lexington, and now I have to spec it right.

Slot 4 is the most problem. Choose  Attack Aircraft Modification 2 vs Torpedo Bombers Modification 2 vs  Bombers Modification 2 ? 

All Increases aircraft HP.+7.5% 

 

What is they main playing difference between Enterprise and Lexington?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
89 posts
4,024 battles

I have not played the American CVs, but from my under standing:

 

American Torp bombers are sub par and have their own heal, so something you won't use a whole lot and already has endurance to rely on.

 

 Attack aircraft are good, but are mostly used for quick DD attacks, AKA ships that lack AA. You won't need the extra HP against DDs due to their low AA.

 

That leaves Dive bombers, which are planes you'll use a lot against ships that can does a fair bit of AA damage and do not have their own heal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[DEFR]
Players
1,223 posts
29 minutes ago, JimmyThePirate said:

American Torp bombers are sub par

Enterprise does 6K+ damage per torp, and drops 3 torps for a T8 CV. I wouldn't call that sub-par, it actually has good T10 level CV damage with those torps.They do the same damage as the T10 British RN CV, which also only drops 3 torps for a T10 CV and does same 6k+ damage per torp.

 

So there really isn't any difference between the Enterprise (T8) and the Audacious (T10) torps. Now look at the British Implacable T8 CV compared to Enterprise,  it has same 6k damage torps but onlys drops 2 fishes and not 3 like Enterprise (same tier 8 lvl CV)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BHSFL]
Players
3,370 posts

Lexington has a much more powerful AA and secondary battery defence, and uses tier VIII aircraft, and can mount Tiny Tim rockets that 1) whack DD 2) whack light cruisers 3) set BB on fire if you aim for their upper superstructure.

 

Enterprise has weak AA and weak secondary batteries ( same as a tier VI Ranger (!) and uses tier VII aircraft, but more of them in a squadron and in reserve. This makes them able to still strike 2-3 x despite a fighter  consumable shot 3 or 4 of them.

 

In other words you can lose more planes in Enterprise and it won't hurt your ability to strike as fast as it would in Lexington.  ( Lexington obviously requiring more skill to perform well in  ) And Enterprise prints credits as it is a premium.

 

Lexington is the stronger ship.....but it won't print credits and requires more skill ( plane preservation ) to be able to keep damage potential up.

 

As for the 4th Lexingotn module : Tiny Tims can whack all ships hard : DD, Cruisers, and BB. Because of this you could consider giving them the improved durability.....if you depleted your torpedo bombers and divebombers you will still have a weapon to set all classes ablaze, or if they have thin hides, explode them.

 

4th Enterprise module is up to you : Divebombers spend most time in AA rings so really need all armour and HP they can get. But if you hunt high tier DD of which some have prety powerfull AA you will need it there too.

 

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,291 posts
14,054 battles
59 minutes ago, GudmundurG said:

I finally got Lexington, and now I have to spec it right.

Slot 4 is the most problem. Choose  Attack Aircraft Modification 2 vs Torpedo Bombers Modification 2 vs  Bombers Modification 2 ? 

All Increases aircraft HP.+7.5% 

 

What is they main playing difference between Enterprise and Lexington?

Enterprise is great at everything. That's truly the difference, it has no weakness. If you want more in depth ask @El2aZeR. And also ignore any thing beastofburden says, it will be utterly redundant. 

 

Here is the builds and captain skills I use to good effect on all USN CV's. 

 

lex build.png

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,213 posts
2 hours ago, GudmundurG said:

I finally got Lexington, and now I have to spec it right.

Slot 4 is the most problem. Choose  Attack Aircraft Modification 2 vs Torpedo Bombers Modification 2 vs  Bombers Modification 2 ? 

All Increases aircraft HP.+7.5% 

 

What is they main playing difference between Enterprise and Lexington?

I would take torps or bombers modification, if I had my game open right now I could tell you better but he hour is late and I am tied, it is a damn good CV though took a while to grow on me, but it has, i like it now as much as the big E.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
13,769 posts
19,416 battles
1 hour ago, Beastofwar said:

Enterprise has weak AA

 

3rd best T8 CV AA after Lexington and Implacable is now weak according to this guy.

How am I not surprised?

 

2 hours ago, GudmundurG said:

Slot 4 is the most problem. Choose  Attack Aircraft Modification 2 vs Torpedo Bombers Modification 2 vs  Bombers Modification 2 ? 

 

I'd go for the DBs on the Lex. They're your bread and butter damage dealers. TBs have heal, as such they have pretty good sustain anyway.

If you're comfy with the TBs tho extending their health isn't a bad option either.

 

I'd say try both then pick according to personal preference.

 

2 hours ago, GudmundurG said:

What is they main playing difference between Enterprise and Lexington?

 

- Enterprise has better rockets for hunting DDs. These are the best anti-DD weapon currently in the game. They also have among the fastest plane respawn rate in the game so they're incredibly expendable.

- Enterprise has better TBs as they have pre-rework arming distance and respawn much faster. Torpedo damage and flooding chance are the same as Lexington (which are the best alpha and flooding chance for CV torps currently in the game). They're slightly more maneuverable but also have a bit less health than Lexington ones (which is a small price to pay for all their incredible advantages really).

- Enterprise has AP bombs instead of HE bombs. These are currently the best anti-cruiser weapon in the game. Learn how to slingshot with them and abuse the no accuracy penalty to become a nightmare for ships like Worcester, Mino, etc. They also outright delete lower tier BBs and some same/higher tier ones. Only downside to them is that they're somewhat more reliant on RNG due to having bigger dispersion. Lexington DBs are generally more versatile and can stack DoT, against the right targets however Enterprise DBs will outdamage them by a huge margin.

- Enterprise is generally more versatile than Lexington due to fast plane respawn rates and having a dedicated aircraft type for each individual target, extending her reserve advantage even further

- Enterprise possesses the best or 2nd best sustain out of all CVs in the game (depends on where you place Kaga)

- Enterprise has the best option to grief other CVs thanks to her topkek 10 plane fighter squad. These will outright annihilate any squadron that they catch.

- Enterprise is the best CV currently in the game.

- Enterprise is perhaps the most overpowered ship currently in the game.

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,213 posts
1 hour ago, Bear_Necessities said:

Enterprise is great at everything. That's truly the difference, it has no weakness. If you want more in depth ask @El2aZeR. And also ignore any thing beastofburden says, it will be utterly redundant. 

 

Here is the builds and captain skills I use to good effect on all USN CV's. 

 

lex build.png

That is not fair I like a lot of beasties advice, always useful to try out new things:cap_like:

 

As for the captain skills, I don't have the aiming one yet, more work needed, lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,213 posts
2 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

 

3rd best T8 CV AA after Lexington and Implacable is now weak according to this guy.

How am I not surprised?

 

 

I'd go for the DBs on the Lex. They're your bread and butter damage dealers. TBs have heal, as such they have pretty good sustain anyway.

If you're comfy with the TBs tho extending their health isn't a bad option either.

 

I'd say try both then pick according to personal preference.

 

 

- Enterprise has better rockets for hunting DDs. These are the best anti-DD weapon currently in the game. They also have among the fastest plane respawn rate in the game so they're incredibly expendable.

- Enterprise has better TBs as they have pre-rework arming distance and respawn much faster. Torpedo damage and flooding chance are the same as Lexington. They're slightly more maneuverable but also have a bit less health than Lexington ones (which is a small price to pay for all their incredible advantages really).

- Enterprise has AP bombs instead of HE bombs. These are currently the best anti-cruiser weapon in the game. Learn how to slingshot with them and abuse the no accuracy penalty to become a nightmare for ships like Worcester, Mino, etc. They also outright delete lower tier BBs and some same/higher tier ones. Only downside to them is that they're somewhat more reliant on RNG due to having bigger dispersion. Lexington DBs are generally more versatile and can stack DoT, against the right targets however Enterprise DBs will outdamage them by a huge margin.

- Enterprise is generally more versatile than Lexington due to fast plane respawn rates and having a dedicated aircraft type for each individual target, extending her reserve advantage even further

- Enterprise possesses the best or 2nd best sustain out of all CVs in the game (depends on where you place Kaga)

- Enterprise has the best option to grief other CVs thanks to her topkek 10 plane fighter squad. These will outright annihilate any squadron that they catch.

- Enterprise is the best CV currently in the game.

- Enterprise is perhaps the most overpowered ship currently in the game.

Even more so than the mighty Midway? Wow, you ever though of becoming a CC?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
13,769 posts
19,416 battles
2 minutes ago, NoobySkooby said:

Even more so than the mighty Midway? Wow, you ever though of becoming a CC?

 

Yeah, speed nerf hit Midway hard. Enterprise meanwhile was barely affected.

 

I highly doubt WG would grant me CC status considering I haven't exactly been subtle about what I think about their CV rework. ¬_¬

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,213 posts
Just now, El2aZeR said:

 

Yeah, speed nerf hit Midway hard. Enterprise meanwhile was barely affected.

 

I highly doubt WG would grant me CC status considering I haven't exactly been subtle about what I think about their CV rework. ¬_¬

Fair whack, good to be honest, their loss if they cannot face the truth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,291 posts
14,054 battles
27 minutes ago, NoobySkooby said:

That is not fair I like a lot of beasties advice, always useful to try out new things:cap_like:

 

As for the captain skills, I don't have the aiming one yet, more work needed, lol

If he hadn't peddled so many outright lies and misstruths I'd almost let him off. But I can't now. Way to much false "advice given". 

 

And once you get a 19 point cmd you can just use it across all USN CV's as it's universal to them all. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
3,274 posts
14,050 battles
8 hours ago, Bear_Necessities said:

Here is the builds and captain skills I use to good effect on all USN CV's. 

 

lex build.png

 

Sight Stabilization is not worth the 4P in my opinion, as the effect is very small.

And DE is also not useful, if you are using Tiny Tims.

 

I currently like this build:

 

image.png.5c84ce6366de7cdf8b593d3abcfd547e.png

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
9,816 posts
11,501 battles
8 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

 

Yeah, speed nerf hit Midway hard. Enterprise meanwhile was barely affected.

 

I highly doubt WG would grant me CC status considering I haven't exactly been subtle about what I think about their CV rework. ¬_¬

Besides, what you will gain from CC status, besides your input being be ignored EXTRA hard?:Smile_trollface:

 

Lexington wise, I run AA mod1 for completely saturating with flak on your own and DB mod2, as they are the toughest planes and they spend the most time within AA due to their attack run pattern.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BHSFL]
Players
3,370 posts

What this @El2aZeR guy is always promoting is an pure OFFENSIVE build with no defence at all.....a real glass cannon build !....So whenever you meet him in battle, sink his CV !

 

He either then has to defend with dropping fighter consumables around his CV trying to patch his lack of defence mistakes - shutting him down producing appaling match results - or go down. Either way, this guy can only perform imposing his own conditions with an all offensive playstyle......deny him that, and he is nothing.

 

But he tolerates no other opinions that are "lies" or "misinformation" then this glass cannon build, bcause it produces the highest score if no one attacks him, or imposes his conditions on him. He is just racing other players for damage....so should be interrupted doing that to counter him.

 

I though i was the only one that got that kind of response but i saw he did it to Airsupremacy, Pikozoikkum and others too. In fact, all other CV players that not regard him as some kind of encelopedia how the play the game. Which he is ofcourse as we can see, surely not.

 

If you want a build that can under most circumstances  produce as high a score as possible : then El2aZeR build is for you.

 

If you dont want to sink if the other CV player wants to sink you (  a more balanced build ) punt points in defence too.

 

Up to now not many CV try to sink or severly damage other CV, although it does happen. That is the base of El2aZeR performance : he can afford to be a glass cannon. Unless more players try to sink his CV.....

 

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[KAKE]
Players
2,519 posts
5,948 battles
11 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

Up to now not many CV try to sink or severly damage other CV, although it does happen.

That's probably because even against a CV that hasn't put anything into defense, it's just an utterly stupid way of wasting your planes and damage potential.

 

Nothing pleases me more than an enemy CV that goes against my own, because between long turnaround time to hit a target that's usually furthest from them and my CV's own CAP (the AA is a sidenote, it's the CAP that does the job),  their damage is generally negligible, and meanwhile I do a lot more damage to their team.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[KAKE]
Players
2,519 posts
5,948 battles
9 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

- Enterprise has the best option to grief other CVs thanks to her topkek 10 plane fighter squad. These will outright annihilate any squadron that they catch.

And since they have a stupidly large patrol area, they tend to catch enemy squadrons more frequently as well :Smile_trollface:

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
9,816 posts
11,501 battles
18 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

What this @El2aZeR guy is always promoting is an pure OFFENSIVE build with no defence at all.....a real glass cannon build !....So whenever you meet him in battle, sink his CV !

 

He either then has to defend with dropping fighter consumables around his CV trying to patch his lack of defence mistakes - shutting him down producing appaling match results - or go down. Either way, this guy can only perform imposing his own conditions with an all offensive playstyle......deny him that, and he is nothing.

 

But he tolerates no other opinions that are "lies" or "misinformation" then this glass cannon build, bcause it produces the highest score if no one attacks him, or imposes his conditions on him. He is just racing other players for damage....so should be interrupted doing that to counter him.

 

I though i was the only one that got that kind of response but i saw he did it to Airsupremacy, Pikozoikkum and others too. In fact, all other CV players that not regard him as some kind of encelopedia how the play the game. Which he is ofcourse as we can see, surely not.

 

If you want a build that can under most circumstances  produce as high a score as possible : then El2aZeR build is for you.

 

If you dont want to sink if the other CV player wants to sink you (  a more balanced build ) punt points in defence too.

 

Up to now not many CV try to sink or severly damage other CV, although it does happen. That is the base of El2aZeR performance : he can afford to be a glass cannon. Unless more players try to sink his CV.....

 

 

And how exactly your secondaries are going to help you with shells sent your way:cap_tea:

 

Only case where I can sort of agree with putting secondary upgrade (and thats it) is for those 1 in 20 battles, when you're left in CV vs CV situation and both of you are close enough to actually start with secondaries. If secondaries open fire on DDs with current base ranges, it simply means something... somewhere... went spectacularly wrong and then offending DD is equally potato to let himself be showered by short range PewPewKanones. For secondaries to be actual deterrent against DD opening fire on you, they need 11-12km range. Not 7.2km in current best case scenario.

 

Considering I'm much more often attacked by enemy carriers via aerial means I'll take AA mod1 unless I feel need4memes or somesuch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
3,274 posts
14,050 battles
30 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

What this @El2aZeR guy is always promoting is an pure OFFENSIVE build with no defence at all.....a real glass cannon build !....So whenever you meet him in battle, sink his CV !

 

He either then has to defend with dropping fighter consumables around his CV trying to patch his lack of defence mistakes - shutting him down producing appaling match results - or go down. Either way, this guy can only perform imposing his own conditions with an all offensive playstyle......deny him that, and he is nothing.

 

But he tolerates no other opinions that are "lies" or "misinformation" then this glass cannon build, bcause it produces the highest score if no one attacks him, or imposes his conditions on him. He is just racing other players for damage....so should be interrupted doing that to counter him.

 

I though i was the only one that got that kind of response but i saw he did it to Airsupremacy, Pikozoikkum and others too. In fact, all other CV players that not regard him as some kind of encelopedia how the play the game. Which he is ofcourse as we can see, surely not.

 

If you want a build that can under most circumstances  produce as high a score as possible : then El2aZeR build is for you.

 

If you dont want to sink if the other CV player wants to sink you (  a more balanced build ) punt points in defence too.

 

Up to now not many CV try to sink or severly damage other CV, although it does happen. That is the base of El2aZeR performance : he can afford to be a glass cannon. Unless more players try to sink his CV.....

 

 

 

Dude what are you talking about? 

 

Enemy CV being stupid enough to try to snipe you all game is the best thing that can happen to you. 

 

And no, you don't need to invest anything into AA to stay alive. Just keep moving and evading torpedoes, that's it. You can also leave a Fighter when starting a new attack squadron, no extra effort necessary.  

 

Overall, you will farm his team while he is wasting his time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,213 posts

On my GZ I run full secondary mod,and that catches a few chasing ships out, but that is part of the fun with her, oh how I wish all CV's had those secondaries, but wherever CV I am in I like to use my spotters to good advantage, at the start of the game, and if can get through to the enemy CV and just lob some rockets on  him,just to say a friendly hello, i them proceed to do what I can with other ships:cap_like:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BHSFL]
Players
3,370 posts

I am not talking about secondaries.....i am talking about strenghtening your AA, and indeed the AA module is one of those choices. Strenghtening AA makes sense if there is a decent AA base to begin with, most ( but not all ) CV have that.

 

I am not "attacking" a glass cannon build, obviously it produces high results most of the time. For someone into stats ( and stat shaming ) performance is ofcourse of the highest importance, so maybe such a plyer has no other choice at all. Does not mean other players also have not. ( lies, misinformation....[edited], just other choices then the max perfomance one for good reasons )

 

Having a high performance build ( glass cannon )  does not mean other players HAVE to take a build that comes down to "All or nothing" too as a mandatory requirement. You are free to do as you think is best.

 

I do like decent scores, i get them in CV as well.....but i also like te defend my ship when the odd enemy players does not do mainstram play. I half suspect players with "all or nothing" builds are the foulest ragers in chat if "all or nothing" actually results in "nothing" affecting their precious stats  because the enemy did not play to their rules.....and they could not defend themselves.

 

To be a glass cannon is a choice.....it will often pay off, but is not always the best thing. It makes use of less smart enemies, and will fail when facing smarter ones that are smart enough to intterupt the damage race of the other CV.....such build will likely crumble in more competitive enviroments with more skilled players. But for randoms....yeah, if you are after the highest performance agianst players that not counter play you can be a good tradeoff in risk/performance.

 

But about the secondaries....they are buffed by BFT and AFT too....so 2 defensive mechanics buffed for taking points aimed at improving AA....it does often make a huge difference in surviving or not when DD cannot be prevented to close in, and allies are remote.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[KAKE]
Players
2,519 posts
5,948 battles
7 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

but i also like te defend my ship when the odd enemy players does not do mainstram play.

My experience so far is that for a CV to go after the other team's CV is "mainstream". Doesn't make it smart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
9,816 posts
11,501 battles
3 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

I am not talking about secondaries.....i am talking about strenghtening your AA, and indeed the AA module is one of those choices. Strenghtening AA makes sense if there is a decent AA base to begin with, most ( but not all ) CV have that.

 

I am not "attacking" a glass cannon build, obviously it produces high results most of the time. For someone into stats ( and stat shaming ) performance is ofcourse of the highest importance, so maybe such a plyer has no other choice at all. Does not mean other players also have not. ( lies, misinformation....[edited], just other choices then the max perfomance one for good reasons )

 

Having a high performance build ( glass cannon )  does not mean other players HAVE to take a build that comes down to "All or nothing" too as a mandatory requirement. You are free to do as you think is best.

 

I do like decent scores, i get them in CV as well.....but i also like te defend my ship when the odd enemy players does not do mainstram play. I half suspect players with "all or nothing" builds are the foulest ragers in chat if "all or nothing" actually resutls in nothing because you didnt play to their rules.....and they could not defend themselves.

 

To be a glass cannon is a choice.....it will often pay off, but is not always the best thing. It makes use of less smart enemies, and will break when facing smarter ones.....such build will likely crumble in more competitive enviroments with more skilled players. But for randoms....yeah, if you are after the highest performance can be a good tradeoff in risk/performace.

Are you aware AA mod1 simply adds 2 flak puffs? It is handy regardless of flak amount. In extreme cases like Lexington mid range, with upgrade you can saturate flak on your own (up to 16 flaks, if S_O article about AA is still valid). On mediocre AA like Shokaku, it still helps with long range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BHSFL]
Players
3,370 posts
12 minutes ago, Panocek said:

Are you aware AA mod1 simply adds 2 flak puffs? It is handy regardless of flak amount. In extreme cases like Lexington mid range, with upgrade you can saturate flak on your own (up to 16 flaks, if S_O article about AA is still valid). On mediocre AA like Shokaku, it still helps with long range.

 

No one ever sunk my CV by air attack....and many enough tried.

 

In return i sunk several enemy CV although it is not my usual tactic as i too ofcourse race daamge against the other CV.....that is just the way WG designed it. These CV had stock AA and that is enough to make the other lose a lot of planes, but not enough to stop from being sunk. Enhanced AA ( skills and module ) will stop an enemy Cv from sinking you.

 

If you succeed in removing the other CV that is a major blow to the enemy team as the damage race of that CV will stop dead. CV increase in effectiveness late game rolling up low HP and busted module ships.....kill them before that, and probably win.

 

So players going for a "glass cannon" build blaming others for making choices that "hurt their team"....well that is controversial al the very least.

 

Btw : i am using civil arguments to explain my point if view. Saying some gives "False information" or ""lies" is according to that persons beliefs, not facts. I do not think the "glass cannon" build is the messure all truth is based upon. If that were true, WG would not have allowed any other build to be chosen.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×