You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Shungite_Merchant

defence of new port operation rigged to fail?

15 comments in this topic

Players
339 posts
14,796 battles

can someone explain, why i got the achievement for ALL secondary tasks complete but only 3 stars on the operation, something seems a little broken, or is one the hardest operations rigged to fail? 

(rigged to fail is a joke btw) but something does't seem right 

shot-19.06.12_17.21.20-0317.jpg

shot-19.06.12_17.21.46-0210.jpg

Players
538 posts
5,915 battles

It is a tough Op, as it relies on some actual brain power from everyone in the team to eliminate ships fast enough. So while most players will happily sit within the port area, you really need to sail out and pummel the AI's in their broadside. Because trying to take out that last wave of cruisers and destroyers from a bow-on position will work, but not fast enough to prevent at least one of the ships breaching the perimeter.

However, if you sail out alone, the focus fire from the various cruisers is bloody effective. They will quickly melt most cruisers and even battleships need to be careful. This leads to a ship needing to repair, taking their much-needed firepower away for some time, or outright sinking them, once again removing their guns from the game. Every ship lost ramps up the difficulty, but it is inevitable for randoms who either are clueless or unlucky.

Then, as the initial attacks can come from three different areas, after the first or second attack a lot of the team will be hopelessly out of position to deal with the third one. If they are in a better position though, this wave will still likely make it inside the perimeter because of what I mentioned above.

The last waves should be okay to deal with as long as the team is mostly still floating and on the ball. Pray that your cruiser teammates packed IFHE for the Izumo, else it may take a few brave torpedo attacks to put her down. While the AI can be inaccurate, they have a nasty habit of blapping cruisers from existence, so more ships could be lost here, as well as under the withering HE fire from the other attackers.

Lastly, if the match maker decides to land you with a carrier or too many battleships or destroyers, you are pretty much scuppered. CV's and BB's don't have the DPM to be truly effective, BB's are too slow to get to the flanks of the ships attacking, and DD's rely on torpedo power to do enough damage. AI's dodge torpedoes so easily, so it renders anything other than a 3-4km banzai torpedo attack ineffective. Ideally, you need a lot of cruisers, a maximum of two BB's, no DD's and no CV's for this Op.

To sum up, this Op is one of the more challenging ones out of the current rotation. It relies heavily on a cohesive, knowledgeable and well equipped team, in a game where, let's be honest here, many don't have a clue, don't equip their ships properly (SE Musashi, anyone?), and don't really communicate with one another. Rarely you will get that one team that knows what to do and work well together, and it will be a pleasant experience for all. So really, the Op is fine as it is on the whole, it is more the players that play it that make it much harder than it needs to be. Making an already hard Op harder makes a loss all too likely.

• Cool 4

[SEN]
Players
795 posts

To answer the OP question:

You got only 3 stars for 2 simple reasons, obvious even in the screenshot you post:

1 - the team allow bots to destroy ships / installations inside port

2 - the allied bot cruiser do not survive the trip to the base ( killed by enemy bots before he can reach the base). 

The mission objectives ( primary & secondary) are the one considered, the badge you receive are just courtesy from WG,  in fact your team  did fail the sec. objectives and that badge is not deserved... but WG probably want to encourage players...

[H-M-S]
Players
31 posts
13,419 battles

I played this op twice today.

The first game was magic, the whole team knew what to do, I was not hit once but had 7 kills, mostly DDs in a Leander. The 2 russian BBs were deadly to the cruisers. The trick seemed to be stay near or better just outside the defence perimeter. Move to get a good shot and concentrate fire on the lead bot. The 2 russian BBs were well positioned so 1 or the other had the cruisers or BBs broadside near but outside the defence perimeter. Our 1 DD stayed alive and took out the Izumo. And at least 2 of us remembered to cover the reinforcing cruiser. Choice of ships is important, I was very impressed with the russian BB for this op.

The second was a complete disaster, we only killed one or 2 of the main wave and lost very quickly. Some ships went out to meet the enemy and were focus fired by the bots, from there on it was was rapidly downhill.

I like this op. It is not too easy and needs intelligent positioning by all the team - and I know that is the biggest problem in the game.

• Cool 2

[SEN]
Players
795 posts

If a cv is present, he can influence the game much more than any ship (tough I agree Ismail - russian bb) perform nice here, with all those 12 high speed guns)  - to good or to worst. A good cv will spot dds ( the most dangerous, since are very stealth and spot for the cruisers and bb bots) . a good cv will engage first the dd bots, a good cv will not try to torp a bot bb already targeted by a human player dd ( how many times we saw a perfect of 6 well aimed torps , deadly for a bot bb, are avoided last second by the bots, because the dumb cv choose to attact the very same bot bb and made that target to turn hard, and ruin the dd attack ?!) ;

I have such smart, competent cv in my team and won those 5 stars like a walk in the park, nobody die in the team all worked with a surgical precission.

But I have also the opposite games ( those one , sadly, are more frequent...) when peoples go yolo, sometimes end up on the upper map, where bots spam, and get instant deleted, or you see 4-5 players hiding right from start on repairs circles, a dumb tactic who always lead at the perimeter breach sooner than later, and consequent swarm of bots from all directions, at the same time = fast loss...

So, is that kind of Op where the team MUST have a minimal set of skills, in order to survive, and the rewards are meh, even for a 5 stars win ( less than half compared with other Ops...).

Players
9,851 posts
11,562 battles

New Port Defence is rigged by randoms to fail, who are unable to kill first wave of tier 2-3 boats. But then, random teams rig most Operations to fail:cap_book:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[BHSFL]
Players
3,429 posts

Dunno....

When in a cruiser or BB trying to flank the incoming bots - the fastest way to kill them - you often are torpedoed as all of the bot DD and Cruisers will lauch and because they are a formation there will be  a LOT of torpedo's even when you expect them and "use WASD hack" If you survived that and are not careful ( or too far out ) a next wave will be upon you and simply focus you down, nothing to be done, there is no escaping them. In such situation the bot even kept focussing on me when i almost reached the repair circle well behind a line of other players.....so bots (too) prio killing low HP players.

So they lay intense torpedo fields, focus fire of all the formation on 1 enemy and kill the player with the lowest HP among lots of other players.......they have been programmed hard/smart enough to need to not blunder against them.

What seems to work better is a defensive line at the ports edge picking off incoming enemies. This works if the team are good enough gunners, and they are spread evenly along the ports edge. If not, stealthy DD or the faster light Cruisers will cross the line in unguarded spots, failing 1 star and begin the mass end attack already. That event is too much for the already failed/not correctly spread players and they get overwhelmed.

A CV can spot enemies early so they can be shot at sooner, but in my experience the striking power of T6 CV is severly lacking compared to that of other ships. I am not unskilled in CV, yet i find their killing power not high enough to stop the waves of bots myself, which i could do flanking and citadelling them in other classes.

So i agree - based on my experience with t6 CV - bringing a CV may weaken the teams effort in this specific Operation.  In the other T6 operations however it is easy to be top scoring in T6 CV. Difference is stopping the rushing waves in very limited time....CV are not designed for that.....you need potential killing striking power per attack for that, not chipping away power.

And finally that T9 BB "end boss" BB outright blows away T6 aircraft. Some of the T6 cruisers ( Aoba ) packs considerable AA too.

I am a CV player, but for this i rather use other classes.

• Cool 2

Players
9,851 posts
11,562 battles
19 minutes ago, Skyllon said:

Well, many people requested "hard mode", so... :Smile_trollface:

I'm not entirely sure if "playerbase" requested hard mode or autistic mode, because we've certainly got the latter

Players
2,381 posts
15,283 battles
6 minutes ago, Panocek said:

I'm not entirely sure if "playerbase" requested hard mode or autistic mode, because we've certainly got the latter

Did we? It is easy 5 star for competent division.

But in case I'm wrong, maybe it is WG just trying their best with 'autistic mode' to fit its playerbase? :Smile_trollface:

Just read comment above mine... It that goes in people's mind while playing this ops, no wonder they lose...

[NWP]
Players
1,337 posts
9,911 battles
11 hours ago, SEN_SEN_Channel_Portugue said:

2 - the allied bot cruiser do not survive the trip to the base ( killed by enemy bots before he can reach the base). 

The mission objectives ( primary & secondary) are the one considered, the badge you receive are just courtesy from WG,  in fact your team  did fail the sec. objectives and that badge is not deserved... but WG probably want to encourage players...

According to what you say dear friend, our OP got an Achievement he did not deserve.

I find it hard to believe. This is computer controlled. Either the Boolean variables are set to true and you get the achievement or you don't.

Tactical Expertise needs all five secondary tasks to be accomplished and all players to survive.

It is hard for me to accept that WG started giving out achievements for nothing as an encouragement.

Now, either our OP friend has posted results from two different battles or there is a bug. I would post this one in Bug reports with a replay and the full screenshots.

[SEN]
Players
795 posts
1 hour ago, Saltface said:

According to what you say dear friend, our OP got an Achievement he did not deserve.

I find it hard to believe. This is computer controlled. Either the Boolean variables are set to true and you get the achievement or you don't.

Tactical Expertise needs all five secondary tasks to be accomplished and all players to survive.

It is hard for me to accept that WG started giving out achievements for nothing as an encouragement.

Now, either our OP friend has posted results from two different battles or there is a bug. I would post this one in Bug reports with a replay and the full screenshots.

I was just avoiding this direction, WG must have the plate full of REEwork,  but in a strict logic, of course you are right.

Fact is, I got many times same badge for 3 stars only , so is a common practice.

[NWP]
Players
1,337 posts
9,911 battles
16 minutes ago, SEN_SEN_Channel_Portugue said:

so is a common practice.

or a bug

Players
339 posts
14,796 battles

this operation, even tho u complete a task like task A/B/C some the tasks get removed and a (new and improved) task appears, thus u can have to complete 6/7 tasks to make it 5 star, but my team only complete 5 tasks not the 6/7 required to complete the operation 5 star, so we gained the achievement 5 tasks all alive, but some the extra ones that came along => 3 star, sorry if my post wasn't that clear, i thought people would have known about the extra tasks popping up, but never expected to get the achievement on a 3 star win, but its kind of trollish and if they are working on operations atm can they look at this operation too