Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Beastofwar

DD engine damage

11 comments in this topic

[BHSFL]
Players
3,379 posts

You guys ever seen this picture of a damaged IJN DD in repair ? The boiler(s) is so large you probably need to use the main deck to get around on the ship.....the whole (mid) ship is literally all engine...

Makes you wonder what would happen if a real rocket or shell ( or even .50 mg AP bullet ) penetrates the unarmoured plating and goes in.....superheated high pressure gasses......

image.thumb.png.c9bbe996c5d38cbde3f63e9dcefda47b.png

• Cool 2

[EST]
[EST]
Players
1,345 posts
25,561 battles
13 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

You guys ever seen this picture of a damaged IJN DD in repair ?

Nope, ty for sharing.

14 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

Makes you wonder what would happen if a real rocket or shell ( or even .50 mg AP bullet ) penetrates the unarmoured plating and goes in.....superheated high pressure gasses......

Nope.

[BHSFL]
Players
3,379 posts
22 minutes ago, Egoleter said:

This isn't one of those onesided "add more realism, nerf DDs" threads, or is it?

That in game DD are rediculously too damage resistant compared to real Destroyers is quite obvious, but i am fully aware realism would not work in a game...so no not a whine.

More like "have you any got idea what you are sailing" 

I knew boilers could be large, but THIS large and foremost CRAMPED  inside such a ship.....from the keel up to the smoke stack there is no room for anything else, not a man can pass inside the ship there or so it seems.....i wanted to share that find.

And then the number of furnaces in that thing......it is obviously built for extreme performance, likely having insane fuel consumption when using maximum performance, and that choice goes at the expense of anything else it seems.

[WGP2W]
Beta Tester
1,230 posts
6,339 battles

Oh, the Harusame, right?

I'd guess she has two boilers, since I see two smoke stacks. I wouldn't have a clue at what pressures / temperatures they would run back in those days; 42 bar / 440 Celsius?

Beta Tester
262 posts
7,701 battles

Whenever my destroyers take fire the engine seems to break so I'd say wargaming modelled it pretty well in that case. I've often wondered if my harugumo crew throw the engine over the side when under fire in order to save weight and make a faster getaway.

[BLITZ]
Players
2,818 posts
10,917 battles
1 hour ago, Beastofwar said:

That in game DD are rediculously too damage resistant compared to real Destroyers is quite obvious, but i am fully aware realism would not work in a game...so no not a whine.

Then let's have ten to 20 destroyers for each battleship/carrier in a battle. Deal?

Players
1,619 posts
18,174 battles

Its just the nature of the game trying to find balance, we may complain about RNG etc but look at the HMS Hood 1 extremely lucky shot and she was gone or look at this photo of the aircraft carrier Hiryu who was only hit by 4 bombs and caught fire resulting in so much damage she had to be scuttled.

Hiryu_adrift.jpg

[BHSFL]
Players
3,379 posts
39 minutes ago, B0Tato said:

Then let's have ten to 20 destroyers for each battleship/carrier in a battle. Deal?

True..that is how it went down yes....Cruisers were actually the flag ships of such fleets, BB being too slow for such a fleet.

[TOXIC]
Players
4,655 posts
11,732 battles
2 hours ago, Beastofwar said:

I knew boilers could be large, but THIS large and foremost CRAMPED  inside such a ship.....from the keel up to the smoke stack there is no room for anything else, not a man can pass inside the ship there or so it seems.....i wanted to share that find. 

Well, there IS a reason why every second shell knocks out your engine on most DDs unless you invest in some preventive measures... then it's every third one :Smile-_tongue:

More seriously: DDs tended to be quite speed-oriented and are inherently somewhat cramped. But the fact that's not restricted to them is that naval engines are HUGE.

[BOBS3]
Players
1,008 posts
18,573 battles

The Wardroom in old RN Destroyers used to be at the stern of the ship, a tradition left over from the days of sail.

I believe that they managed to loose overboard a number of officers going on and off duty due to the fact there was no passage below decks on the low lying DDs

Sign in to follow this