Jump to content
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Cambera_1

19pts Captain Dunkirk for Leander?

21 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[BOBS3]
Players
1,009 posts
18,660 battles

How would you spend the 19 skill points for Captain Dunkirk that was based in a Leander in the current Random Meta?

Obviously maximising the benefits of his "special skills" while playing to the strengths of HMS Leander.

How would that differ, if at all for HMS Fiji?

And how would they look if you were only going to use these ships for Operations?

 

Obviously I've looked at the various builds suggested for Leander and Fiji on "Ship Comrade" and they don't play well with the Dunkirk brothers.

 

I've had 16pts Dunkirk brothers in these ships for a while and now I have the points to bring one or possibly both to 19points. Both currently look like:-2091399499_Dunkirkskills.thumb.png.e6b7b15a31dd88dd4183ec867e5d8a05.png

I don't feel that this is the best use to add 3 points of skills to so I probably will redistribute.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[HANDS]
Players
246 posts
20,912 battles

Smoke screen expert was good when the smoke release time was very short-5 sec- or something like that, meanwhile got buffed, i dont think i need to take it. Expert Marksman again, the traverse speed is good enough. I will go PT, JoaT, AR, Superintendent, Vigilance( stack with hydro, and sitting in smoke is magnet for torpedoes), Manual AA or Radio Location, depends of meta, and ofc CE.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,997 posts
13,049 battles

I do not bother with SSE. I'd keep the rest.

But if you want it Vigilance can be useful if you die sometimes to torps in the smoke. 

Or RL to hunt DDs or to know where from to expect torps or the other nasty surprises plus incoming fire alert or PM.

Lower tier brit CLs do not need many points in general (no need for DE and IFHE) so you can really do whatever, I wouldn't let myself to be obsessed with it too much.  :cap_haloween:

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
126 posts
7,348 battles

I'd get rid of EM, and get RL and PM instead. The Fiji is a beast when it comes to DD hunting (Currently spec ING into RL myself once I get the next captain point). 

 

SSE means there's less chance of a BB pushing you out of smoke while trying to 'share' it with you. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
1,423 posts
16,939 battles
Vor 2 Stunden, Cambera_1 sagte:

2091399499_Dunkirkskills.thumb.png.e6b7b15a31dd88dd4183ec867e5d8a05.png

 

Your build is fine. Last 3 points can be spend on vigilance. 

Alternatively drop EM and go for RL and Incoming Fire Alert (1 point skill, I forgot the real name).

Leander and Fiji can be played with 12 point commander just fine.  You can use same Captain build on both.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SHAFT]
Players
9,517 posts
8,849 battles

Id also drop SSE... ive never used it on my RN CLs. RPF can be really nice, so you might wanna consider that one

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
3,159 posts
3,608 battles
16 hours ago, Captain_KriegWurst said:

SSE means there's less chance of a BB pushing you out of smoke while trying to 'share' it with you. 

So it's not just me, then. I swear, some of those big brutes can take outright liberties - what's an honest, hard-working light cruiser supposed to do? :fish_glass:

Oh, and I had one of 'em trying to steal my smoke when I was in my Haida, once. Didn't work out too well for him! :Smile_veryhappy:

  • Cool 1
  • Funny 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BOBS3]
Players
1,009 posts
18,660 battles

"Radio Location" rather than "Manual Fire Control for AA" if a point was freed up?

Leander seems good at dropping the low tier aircraft that it faces and surely this would help a touch with the T8 planes when bottom tiered?

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SEN]
Players
795 posts

First, be ready to ignore snobs who will qualify your 19 points commanders as a "overkill" in a T6 ship ; I did this also, not just for T6 ships but also for T7 ships. Some Ops ( like Narai) need every last bit of "juice" from your ship in order to carry the team; Many times you will found in situations when half of team is dead in first 5 min of the Op, so you will need a very competitive commander in a good ship in order to achieve a win and 5 stars. 

So, by no means a 19 points skipper is an "overkill", that is just dumb nonsense from square heads who only touch an Op twice a year, if...

Back to Leander:

- like was said here, you do not need smoke release time ( especially considering the duration will be shorter !) ,  instead go for High Alert- you will burn a lot, bots in Ops spam HE 24/7.

- Priority Target and Preventive Mant. is also important, you need to know if some bot bb target you, Leander is easy to cit, and PE help you to keep alive your torp tubes those 5-10 sec. before you launch torps when RNG gods here decide to hit your torp tubes right before you need to launch.

- Next 3 points go for Basic of Surv., you will survive more and carry your team more; 

- Sure another 3 points on Super Intendent - that is a must.

- Stealth is a must, and since you have no planes to fight against,  and no HE, next 4 points I will go on RLocation, who will help you to be prepared against those nasty low tier dds but with great stealth. Leander is a great dd killer, and to know where that dd will come, is a big plus for you.

This is my build and I like this one, is very effective in Ops.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SEN]
Players
795 posts
58 minutes ago, Procrastes said:

So it's not just me, then. I swear, some of those big brutes can take outright liberties - what's an honest, hard-working light cruiser supposed to do? :fish_glass:

Oh, and I had one of'em trying to steal my smoke when I was in my Haida, once. Didn't work out too well for him! :Smile_veryhappy:

Worse is when a friendly  bb rush in your smoke, and ram you then push you right on front of those fresh torps, and sure, right after you eat the torps, all  enemy guns will focus you... because you are no more in smoke !

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SEN]
Players
795 posts
1 hour ago, Cambera_1 said:

"Radio Location" rather than "Manual Fire Control for AA" if a point was freed up?

Leander seems good at dropping the low tier aircraft that it faces and surely this would help a touch with the T8 planes when bottom tiered?

He say the build is only to use in Ops.

Are no T8 Ops.

Are no cv.s in Ops., atm.

He has no use at all for AA, in Ops.I think RLocation is a bit better, the dd bots in Ops are very stealth...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BOBS3]
Players
1,009 posts
18,660 battles
2 hours ago, Captain_KriegWurst said:

SSE means there's less chance of a BB pushing you out of smoke while trying to 'share' it with you. 

1 hour ago, Procrastes said:

So it's not just me, then. I swear, some of those big brutes can take outright liberties - what's an honest, hard-working light cruiser supposed to do? :fish_glass:

Oh, and I had one of'em trying to steal my smoke when I was in my Haida, once. Didn't work out too well for him! :Smile_veryhappy:

That of course is the benefit of a Haida or Perth!

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
713 posts

dunkirk special skills are close to useless for leander (at least i didn't use any) maybe jack of all trades [22]. in general i would not use 19 pt captain at so low level unless it wont stay at that ship. too much re-training ahead.

anyway i would go in following order

preventive maintenance [12 (first row, 2nd skill)]

[27]

[36]

[48]

[35]

[45]

[22]

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BOBS3]
Players
1,009 posts
18,660 battles
14 minutes ago, hellhound666 said:

dunkirk special skills are close to useless for leander (at least i didn't use any) maybe jack of all trades [22]. in general i would not use 19 pt captain at so low level unless it wont stay at that ship. too much re-training ahead.

anyway i would go in following order

preventive maintenance [12 (first row, 2nd skill)]

[27]

[36]

[48]

[35]

[45]

[22]

Just asking because I don't don't know and I want to learn, which ship is better than the mid tier CLs with JoAt, EM & SSE for the Dunkirk Brothers?

 

DDs tend not to need EM & JoAT

BBs do not need SSE.

Higher tier CLs have better turret rotation and don't benefit from EM. 

 

The intention is to maintain these skippers on these ships. I have the Minotaur and have kept the Edinburgh too. Both of these have their own 14/16 point Captains.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
713 posts
17 minutes ago, Cambera_1 said:

Just asking because I don't don't know and I want to learn, which ship is better than the mid tier CLs with JoAt, EM & SSE for the Dunkirk Brothers?

 

DDs tend not to need EM & JoAT

BBs do not need SSE.

Higher tier CLs have better turret rotation and don't benefit from EM. 

 

The intention is to maintain these skippers on these ships. I have the Minotaur and have kept the Edinburgh too. Both of these have their own 14/16 point Captains.

you dont have to use sse. i have never used it. mine dunkirk sits on neptune but i suppose some bb would suit better. i guess i will remove it when respec will be free.

my leander has 11 point captain and that is all what it needs. i keep it just for some weird missions if these happen to come.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
9,848 posts
11,553 battles

Personally I've put Dunkek captain on Conqueror - improved EM and JoaT are extra handy on battleships, especially ones with long reloading lol heal.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SEN]
Players
795 posts

If you want a really decent chance to get 5 stars in Ops, even to win Ops ( a loss give you prejudice !) - and you do not use that 19 points commander in another ship, is really a good thing to have him.

In this week Op, for example, Narai - a dd with 19 points will help more the team / carry the team - than one with 6-7 points commander.

Are peoples - like me - who are not very found of the cv REEwork results in Random games with 2 cvs per side, and they go in Ops to have more fun there without the [edited] hitting them 24/7 with torps, bombs, rockets from all angles.

I took my 19 points Musashi commander ( is no point to play random on Musashi now with cvs around always...) -  so  I put him in a Japanese destroyer.

I end up most of the times top score with nice credits.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BOBS3]
Players
1,009 posts
18,660 battles
3 hours ago, SEN_SEN_Channel_Portugue said:

Back to Leander:

- like was said here, you do not need smoke release time ( especially considering the duration will be shorter !)

Shorter - why? what's the reference on this? Yes it's shorter with the Legendary upgrade on the Minotaur.

Edited by Cambera_1
Clarity and Punctuation

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SEN]
Players
795 posts
33 minutes ago, Cambera_1 said:

Shorter - why? what's the reference on this? Yes it's shorter with the Legendary upgrade on the Minotaur.

You get more "puff.s" but they cover  less...

So if you are stopped with standard smoke, with 100m radius of smoke before ,  you will get only 80m radius of smoke... In practice, you trade more puffs for, lesser smoke cover...  your "cloud" is 20% smaller.

In the case of brit cruisers, made with no "hand-brake", that is not a good thing :Smile_veryhappy:...

This is what I love on Aigle, you are at 40kn, push hand-break (reverse) , you stop in just  few meters. In a Leander, you will "slide" half km more ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BOBS3]
Players
1,009 posts
18,660 battles
17 minutes ago, SEN_SEN_Channel_Portugue said:

You get more "puff.s" but they cover  less...

So if you are stopped with standard smoke, with 100m radius of smoke before ,  you will get only 80m radius of smoke... In practice, you trade more puffs for, lesser smoke cover...  your "cloud" is 20% smaller.

In the case of brit cruisers, made with no "hand-brake", that is not a good thing :Smile_veryhappy:...

This is what I love on Aigle, you are at 40kn, push hand-break (reverse) , you stop in just  few meters. In a Leander, you will "slide" half km more ...

I'll try it out in a Training room and see if I see what you are saying

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[JRM]
Players
6,295 posts
24,183 battles

One of my Dunq brothers is on Belfast/Jutland (not ideal ship combo i guess but its usable and it would be a waste not to use a 19pt you have on a white ship if you can) not using SSE the other one is on Conq/prem bbs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×