You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
GulvkluderGuld

Upgrading RN planes worth it? (esp. TB)

14 comments in this topic

Players
2,878 posts
16,280 battles

So far I've only played Furious and now Implantable...

Compared to the other two CV lines (i ahve both tier X) the RN have atroicous reserves and painfully slow regeneration.

Plane regeneration rate increases by 10s with plane upgrades (60->70 and 70->80s), ie more than 10%.

Meanwhile plane HP goes up only 5% and speed even less ~3%. 

With the atrocius reserves of RN CVs, it seems almost better to use the stock planes with faster regen rates...

Opinions?

Players
3,220 posts

Never really thought about it, but as you say they are bad,very bad as to the point of why are they even in the game, I like furious but only because you can use her in ops.

IMHO i think Implacable should be down tiered to tier 7, and maybe take Kaga and Saipan with her.

• Boring 1

Players
2,878 posts
16,280 battles
1 hour ago, NoobySkooby said:

Never really thought about it, but as you say they are bad,very bad as to the point of why are they even in the game, I like furious but only because you can use her in ops.

I dont think they are bad, I just think the upgraded planes are worse than the stock planes.

There's nothing wrong with the CVs themselves.

My Furious stats are better than server top 25% tier 8 CV stats (admittedly they are > server top 5% for Furious) so it definitely works.

Implantable can hit 10k dmg / min which is tier X territory.

Both of them struggle when bottom tier, as do any CV.

The RN CVs are excellent at farming hapless BBs with torps and fires, which artificially inflates the stats.

They can somewhat deal with DDs.

Cruiser....are really hard to deal with.

[BHSFL]
Players
3,401 posts

I find the UK T8 uncomfortable  to use in T7/T8 matches but extemely underpowered in mixed tier IX-X matches where the CV's are the only Tier VIII's. 

- Fighters : seem to do extremely low damage to Tier IX-X DD to the point is it useless to even attack them. ( certainly under fire by tier IX-X AA Cruisers trying to support them )

- Torpedo bombers : they seem to lauch rubber torpedo's that swim toward a target instead of rushing toward it.

- Carpet bombers : seem the only ones that can do damage.....but only if they cause fires when RP was used by the victim

And as non-premium they "reward"" me with tear drawing amounts of....negative credits in case of theose Tier IX-X matches.

Right now i am using mainly the carpet bombers against ( large surface ) BB with the DE skill to start fires over and over again, lining up and overflying them in lenght.  I use these against DD too but it is not optimal as these evade the line of falling bombs.

Anyone else doing different things that work better ?

[DEFR]
Players
1,237 posts
2 hours ago, NoobySkooby said:

IMHO i think Implacable should be down tiered to tier 7, and maybe take Kaga and Saipan with her.

From what I hear the Saipan is the best performing T8 CV right now, beating even the mighty Enterprise in the stats as best CV.

People say the Audacious is the worst T10 CV also, but pretty sure that as well is beating both Midway and Hak in the game stats as best T10 CV

Players
2,878 posts
16,280 battles
27 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

Anyone else doing different things that work better ?

First of all, do you think it is worth it to use the upgraded planes? (bombs and rockets get more ammo, but TBs just get longer regeneration time)

Secondly, the Furious seemed very strong, the Implacable seems decent enough (struggles in Tier X games).

Fighters: aims fast, but very low damage and very slow missle speed. Dealing with DDs is a nightmare in thise CVs.

Torpedo bombers: your bread and butter damage dealer at tier 6-8 

Carper bombers: Mix those in with the torps for stacking DoTs. If RNGsus favours you....Also their damage to cruisers is respectable.

RN CVs seem build for wrecking BBs and other CVs. I mainly use TBs (with Furious, still havn't adapted to Implacable) and mix in Carpet bombs when i run low on TBs or when i burn DCP. 

They are the best for stacking DoTs and the worst at dealing with cruisers and DDs.

They have much better TB than USN CVs (but worse than superb IJN ones) and carpet bombs work better vs BBs for causing fires than USN DB, but to compensate, alpha is not very good.

Players
439 posts
5,436 battles

My tuppence on Implacable is yes, upgrade the TBs as a minimum  and also take the torpedo bombers mod 2.

Take survivability and torpedo acceleration in captain skill.

On Audacious I despair. Doesn’t really seem much of an upgrade on the T8

Players
439 posts
5,436 battles
2 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

Yeah the lack of cruiser-killing power must be why they are so uncomfortable to me.

The rockets are crap, especially if you are used to using TiTi on Lexi but the carpet bombs can be good for starting fires.

Players
2,878 posts
16,280 battles
11 minutes ago, GTB1964 said:

From what I hear the Saipan is the best performing T8 CV right now, beating even the mighty Enterprise in the stats as best CV.

People say the Audacious is the worst T10 CV also, but pretty sure that as well is beating both Midway and Hak in the game stats as best T10 CV

Cheezburger Image 6392646912

Going by top 5% player stats, Hakuruy is by far the best competitive CV and Enterprise the best tier 8. 

Maybe you were looking a general stats (Audacious has the best general server stats for tier X this week according to maplesyrup; Enterprise still is the best this week for general server stats)

Players
2,878 posts
16,280 battles
3 minutes ago, gustywinds said:

My tuppence on Implacable is yes, upgrade the TBs as a minimum  and also take the torpedo bombers mod 2.

How are the upgraded ones better? (rockets and bombs both get more ammo, but TBs? I upgraded everything else first)

90 hp more (out of 2225) and 6 knots more (130->136) but the regeneration rate goes from 78 to 88s and you dont get more TBs on deck...meaning all the upgrade does is giving neglectible buffs and punish losses even further.

Players
3,220 posts
1 hour ago, GTB1964 said:

God only know how then, most damage I have ever done in her is 60k, and that was only because on a rare occasion I got to Division up with my clan commander.

Players
3,220 posts
58 minutes ago, gustywinds said:

The rockets are crap, especially if you are used to using TiTi on Lexi but the carpet bombs can be good for starting fires.

That is if they hit at all with tier self deploying parachutes, just way too slow, by then even the fattest BB has re positioned himself

Players
3,220 posts
1 hour ago, gustywinds said:

Take survivability and torpedo acceleration in captain skill.

On Audacious I despair. Doesn’t really seem much of an upgrade on the T8

I feel safe playing that, as I see it as simply a tier 8 CV, the Midway,  cannot make her work, even after being shown, what works in a training room does certainly not work in game due to murderous flak and the Haku, cannot get on with either torp drop choices, all Jap CV's should have the torps of the Kaga.