You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
admiralgpt

Time to allow divisions in ranked

126 comments in this topic

[-RM-]
Players
180 posts

Ranked format is horrendous - its described as a grind by everyone! and not a fun one...

It isolates players from friends (because they are too busy playing solo ranked - which takes forever to grind)

Its isolates players from clans for the duration (because they are too busy playing solo ranked - which takes forever to grind)

The rental problem is real - Ships with poor captains and upgrades

The matchmaking can be terrible - hurricane clan players on one side - potatoes that have been carried through on the other

Surely its time the format was changed?

I like ranked because it allows a competitive format (7vs7) between clan wars - which as we know is difficult for some to get 7 people online. But the current ranked format goes too much in the opposite direction

** Also to add, i found T9 arms race ranked much more fun

• Cool 8

[BHSFL]
Players
3,401 posts

Ranked rewards individual skills, not ganging up on others on unequal terms.

Devisions often have (voice) communication and can coordinate attacks on individual  enemy players. While such coordination is nessesary  in clan wars it should not even be in randoms, let alone ranked.

It is in fact as cowardly as bullies in the schoolyard that bring all their friends facing only a single person they gang up on. These bullies are not tough, they are cowards that are not man enough to fight 1:1 odds.

• Cool 10
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 13

[ADRIA]
Players
271 posts
12,253 battles

Ranked Sprint? You can div in that gamemode.

I do agree with you that regular ranked would be much more enjoyable with competent players, I mean div mates. :Smile-_tongue:

• Cool 4

Beta Tester
713 posts
2 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

Devisions often have (voice) communication and can coordinate attacks on individual  enemy players. While such coordination is nessesary  in clan wars it should not even be in randoms, let alone ranked.

It is in fact as cowardly as bullies in the schoolyard that bring all their friends facing only a single person they gang up on. These bullies are not tough, they are cowards that are not man enough to fight 1:1 odds.

those of us able to meaningfully communicate like the idea

even more now when ranked is filled with dudes who haven't earned the place to be there

• Cool 6
  • Bad 1

[-RM-]
Players
180 posts
3 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

Why would it be cowardly if MM put the matches together correctly? you would be against other divs and more equal opposition - at the moment the individually skilled players carry a lot of potatoes. Its a team based game - and divisions are the only way you can play with friends, which is where a lot of my personal enjoyment comes from, do you not have friends?

Players
3,295 posts
14,054 battles
6 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

Now people who play divisions are cowards and bullies.... 

evil laugh gif.gif

• Cool 6

[ROT8]
Players
2,730 posts
6 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

You don't half write some crap some times....:Smile_sceptic:

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
713 posts
10 minutes ago, Bear_Necessities said:

Now people who play divisions are cowards and bullies.... 

but you need to love the irony with his name - i mean beast, really?

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[LEEUW]
Players
2,252 posts
10,033 battles

Nice idea Admiral! After 12 seasons ranked can most of all use some tweaks to keep it interesting. 

• Cool 1

[ROT8]
Players
2,730 posts
1 minute ago, hellhound666 said:

but you need to love the irony with his name - i men beast, really?

He's not the BeastofWar....he's a very naughty boy :Smile_Default:

• Funny 4
  • Boring 1

[UNICS]
Players
4,501 posts
15,942 battles

I don't agree. Divs should be kept ut of standard Ranked still imo. Other game modes have been introduced which allows div.

• Cool 7

[LEEUW]
Players
2,252 posts
10,033 battles

Guys let's stay on topic please since it really is an interesting subject imo and if we descent to personal **** the police will come and shut it down. 

• Cool 3

[NWP]
Players
1,334 posts
9,861 battles
5 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

Mr. @Beastofwar,

you know very well that I have defended you (not your arguments or your claims) and have asked my fellow forumites to abstain from ad hominem attacks.

You have every right to express your opinion and I am an ardent supporter of absolute freedom of speech. However, You Mr. @Beastofwar, could be a reason for said freedom to be curtailed. Or at least to make me change my mind and accept that certain people should not have the right to speak. 

Your quoted passage above is off topic and is written with the sole purpose to deride and insult. The language you use is foul, provocative and derogatory.

You call bullies and cowards the players that play in division. You, Mr. @Beastofwar is the bully and the coward. You insult and deride those that cannot reply to your insults in kind and hide behind your newly found love the "blocking/ignoring" function. You hide behind the anonymity of your internet connection. You would never dare speak like that in life. Or at least you would most probably do it versus a wimpy lad not a full grown man 6ft 1 and 100 Kg. 

You spew toxicity and you owe the forum an apology after which you should retire to silence.

In anticipation of your apology

Saltface

• Cool 11
  • Bad 1

[LEEUW]
Players
2,252 posts
10,033 battles
6 minutes ago, loppantorkel said:

I don't agree. Divs should be kept ut of standard Ranked still imo. Other game modes have been introduced which allows div.

Why? I mean, the counterargument that pops in my head first is that it would mean the better players rank out faster and the worse players slower if at all. So that is something that has to be addressed. But on the other side it worked in ranked sprint and it increases then funfactor in ranked thousand fold. 

• Cool 7

[-RM-]
Players
180 posts

i think a big problem with ranked is that it takes people away from their clans and therefore their friends. After grinding in ranked sometimes you just cant be bothered to carry on and play randoms - usually because with success you drive forward, or with failure you get tilted and stop. Clan players are a big part of the "committed" player base, and rank temporarily splits that up. But like i said the other side is the fun factor. The grind is not fun, i defy anyone who would tell me different. It would be more enjoyable with friends. If this resulted in people ranking out quicker, so be it. That makes it more fun for everyone else trying to get through ranked

• Cool 1

[LADA]
Players
544 posts
8,401 battles

Well having just been bumped back to T6 by the efforts of a team-killing Conqueror (rental ofc) who then yolo'd into the enemy without firing a shot - I'm all for ANYTHING that reduces the chances of having such a player on my side. I'd rather choose the idiots I have backing me up! 

Besides, Ranked is now a curious mix of star-saving and/or playing moron lottery. The CV invariably stays alive longer and saves a star. The HE-spamming Conq who has basically spent the entire game at 20km gets all that HE damage and saves a star. The people who actually do things and put themselves in harms way often don't save a star. Combine that with getting a team of rentals and/or 40% WR players vs. a team of fully kitted out ships driven by people who can actually count to ten without getting a nosebleed - the results are sometimes foregone before the 30s start timer ends. 

The argument that it rewards 'individual' effort is a bit daft to be honest. You'd have better luck arguing that rolling dice all day is a test of intelligence...

• Cool 5

[UNICS]
Players
4,501 posts
15,942 battles
21 minutes ago, GarrusBrutus said:

Why? I mean, the counterargument that pops in my head first is that it would mean the better players rank out faster and the worse players slower if at all. So that is something that has to be addressed. But on the other side it worked in ranked sprint and it increases then funfactor in ranked thousand fold. 

The counterargument is that this mode still seems to draw a lot of players and is the only mode where you can't tilt the balance by bringing friends/equally good/bad players.

• Cool 3

[BOBS3]
Players
1,009 posts
18,631 battles

I do follow your reasoning as to why you want Divisions in Ranked.

The problem is that a good division will rout a random team every time in the small format of 7x7.

We saw this in Ranked Sprints.

This is extremely discouraging for those individuals. I think that this is at the heart of Beast's comment

However I personally think that this could work if the 'Leagues' were smaller so that the divisions could progress quicker, leaving us dedicated potatoes to complete on a fair basis.

• Cool 3

[LEEUW]
Players
2,252 posts
10,033 battles
2 minutes ago, loppantorkel said:

The counterargument is that this mode still seems to draw a lot of players and is the only mode where you can't tilt the balance by bringing friends/equally good/bad players.

That is true. It is the one solo gamemode we're in the long run only your personal skill counts.

But are you worried that people might enjoy it less when they have to play against and with divisions? Because it would be rather unfair for a team to have zero divisions in their team against one or more in the enemy team. So to counter that bringing a division mate with you should result in matchmaking putting a division in the opposing team as well. If that means waiting five minutes in queue so be it, that is your own choice. Just like it used to be with the rts cvs. 

Since clan battles ended I haven't been divisioning spare the odd game. Simply because everyone wants to grind ranked. The fact that you can't play with friends in ranked really puts clan based activities to a halt basically and that is such a shame since this is a teambased game. 

• Cool 1

Players
628 posts
2,129 battles
2 minutes ago, Cambera_1 said:

The problem is that a good division will rout a random team every time in the small format of 7x7.

Well put. And it's not like divisions don't have other types of battle to play. To say divisions should be allowed into every battle type is easily countered by saying that equally there should be some battle types that don't allow divisions. And Ranked is more ideal for single players than it is for divisions given the 7x7 format will skew the MM massively if the division is entirely one class of ship or even one ship.

[-RM-]
Players
180 posts

I guess the bottom line for the the guys saying they would disagree with the change - is do you enjoy ranked in its current format? Is it enjoyable to play right now with the teams as they are?

[H_FAN]
Players
2,567 posts
40,794 battles
17 minutes ago, GarrusBrutus said:

That is true. It is the one solo gamemode we're in the long run only your personal skill counts.

But are you worried that people might enjoy it less when they have to play against and with divisions? Because it would be rather unfair for a team to have zero divisions in their team against one or more in the enemy team. So to counter that bringing a division mate with you should result in matchmaking putting a division in the opposing team as well. If that means waiting five minutes in queue so be it, that is your own choice. Just like it used to be with the rts cvs. 

Since clan battles ended I haven't been divisioning spare the odd game. Simply because everyone wants to grind ranked. The fact that you can't play with friends in ranked really puts clan based activities to a halt basically and that is such a shame since this is a teambased game. 

Well personally I would be far less interested in (standard) ranked if divs are allowed. It is not about that people who plays in divisions will have more fun are have easier to rank out it is that every player in ranked should advance by individual skill and knowledge and handling of the Meta not tilting the balance as @loppantorkel says. This is the only gamemode that you as a individual soloplayer can pick up steel, and it is important that we have such a mode where we are on equal playing field. That random have divisions I have no problems with. You are measured so to speak by your results in various mode and ranked you know that no player has an advantage that I as a solo player can not get.

Yes it is a grind like it is designed (sort of) to be, if you are really good you will rank out faster. Yes I have never ranked out but that is more due to rewards vs effort and that I am soon tired of the grind mechanic so I play to get reasonable rewards.

Btw that divisions exists in ranked sprint are more tolerable but i would rather like that it would not be allowed as ranked is a individual game, as close at it can be in this type of game.

Leave at least one mode for solo/div players to play on even field. It is a principle for me regardless of the eventual fun it will be for players that want to play as a div in ranked. Now you are forced to rely on the others and thats just precisely the point!:etc_red_button: 

• Cool 3

[BHSFL]
Players
3,401 posts
1 hour ago, Saltface said:

You, Mr. @Beastofwar is the bully

Yes i am.....but i do it alone, i dont need to gang up on people with buddies. Although ofcourse i do not deny i do need well playing other players to win. And well playing others do not need to have unicum stats to win either, neither do i.

I do sh#t on elitism. And that is what this is all about.....stats fanatics feel left out - i see them absent in this mode - because their favorite unfair method of influencing WR does not work here. That must mean the players reaching really high ranks are actually good, contrary to those that can devision their way to " unicum stats"

WGF10.jpg

• Bad 2

[-RM-]
Players
180 posts
4 minutes ago, Gnirf said:

Yes it is a grind like it is designed (sort of) to be, if you are really good you will rank out faster. Yes I have never ranked out but that is more due to rewards vs effort and that I am soon tired of the grind mechanic so I play to get reasonable rewards.

So you are saying it isnt enjoyable? it is tiresome... Why have a mode that isnt enjoyable? I get people saying it rewards individual effort but this is still a 7v7 team game. In its current format this is not balanced

[BFS]
Beta Tester
1,860 posts
11,769 battles

I don't think having divisions in ranked is a good idea as it could give an advantage to that side and advantage in that some players would play as a team.

If you want to play with your mates there are enough other games modes where you can do so - even scenarios that are not the 'special of the week' (it's a shame that there are not more scenarios available at the moment and there should be new ones released each patch).

• Cool 1