You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
SEN_SEN_Channel_Portugue

Commander retraining unfair extra-charging

119 comments in this topic

[SEN]
Players
795 posts

Commander retraining ; We all know is already an excessive amount of gold, I can live with that.

BUT - you pay the gold once, to have that skilled skipper in your A boat: WG says the skipper IT IS now already trained for that boat, ok ?

After a week/month etc, you move that commander to another boat - Boat B ; they charge you again with those pesky 500 doubloons. Ok ...

Now, for ANY reason  ( you need A boat lets say, in ranked, or Ops, etc, with THAT skipper you have worked hard to level him at 19 points ) - you move back that Commander

at the boat A - and now WG charge you AGAIN with another 500 because your commander, born retard in WG optics, already "forgot" all what he learned about his old boat !

So, guys, please tell me what you think about this - is fair, logic, ethical to charge twice or x times gold for the very same "training" on the very same boat ?

Do you agree WG should NOT charge you again for the boat you already pay the "training" just short time ago ? 

Just because you move your commander to other boat, WHAT are the reason to assume that commander suffers an instant brainwashing, memory loss, and sudden he cannot operate anymore his old ship ?

I found this "strategy" of WG to charge use twice or x times for the same thing a bit abusive and unethical, but maybe I am wrong and I miss something here.

What is your view guys on this question ?

Do you agree we deserve at least a discount if we move back a commander in his old ship ?

(thanks in advance for your opinion).

• Cool 6

[-AP-]
Players
2,508 posts
6,120 battles

Oooor you just farm some 19 points captains, and then use the ludicrus amount of elite commander xp you get to retrain commanders and train new ones so that every ship you care about has a 19 pointer

• Cool 3

[BHSFL]
Players
3,484 posts

I think the "free" captain reskilling wasn't that free at all. What that does (and fiddling with the event 19 point captains ) is make you fiddle around with other builds, but likely get stuck with a build you regret after the free reskill ended....having to pay up.

For me that caused a Stalin-style purge of anyone not a premium Captain. And i regret that too, as most are still 6-9 point captains but i would never have wanted to spend money on reskilling 40 or so captains.

And the re training being transferred to a highter (tech tree tier ship.....well, pay the 200k credits and ride out the rest. I am not a prisioner of stats so that does not really punish me, but it is unenjoyable as without some skills ships can underperform. Especially the armour and HP skill on aircraft. Very bad if you don't have that on Kaga or GZ captains....

However....just like i displayed on the forum i used rental ships with 1 point captains, no camo and no modules  and often survived the ranked matches in precence of even CV.  So while underperforming you can still use the core features of the ship.

• Cool 2

[SEN]
Players
795 posts
22 minutes ago, thiextar said:

Oooor you just farm some 19 points captains, and then use the ludicrus amount of elite commander xp you get to retrain commanders and train new ones so that every ship you care about has a 19 pointer

sure you can do that... BUT how many ships do you have ?.... I do that, and after half dozen of "exchanges" I run out of elite commander points, and I was forced to open my wallet....

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
26,279 posts
14,162 battles
34 minutes ago, SEN_SEN_Channel_Portugue said:

Do you agree we deserve at least a discount if we move back a commander in his old ship ?

no.

there are too many players like me who retrain their captains without gold...

• Bad 4

Players
549 posts
3,074 battles

If you have paid to train a captain for a ship for 500 gold and then move him to another ship when you move him back you should not have to pay again as you have already trained him for that ship and paid for the privilege too. Its clearly a money spinner for them.

• Cool 9

[-AP-]
Players
2,508 posts
6,120 battles
1 hour ago, SEN_SEN_Channel_Portugue said:

sure you can do that... BUT how many ships do you have ?.... I do that, and after half dozen of "exchanges" I run out of elite commander points, and I was forced to open my wallet....

Stop exchanging.

Work your way towards having a 19 pointer in every ship you care about. If you do that, you will rarely ever need to retrain a commander again.

Retraining a lot is shortsighted, and will lead to a very bad economy long term.

• Cool 2

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
4,046 posts
1 hour ago, SEN_SEN_Channel_Portugue said:

No, not really.

You could train a second captain instead if you don't want to pay the cost and use the ship frequently enough to keep retraining your captains.

I have at least a 10 point captain on any ship I care about and plenty of 3 - 12 point captains in reserve.

Players
392 posts
7,897 battles

What would be ideal to mitigate any issues of some of us being "caught out" by the expiration of the "free captain skills". 

Would be the have a pop up (when you place your mouse cursor over the icon) with an expiration date.

So far, this small inclusion of information have not been implemented sadly. If it did, we would have so much less confusions, frustrations, agony from the players who missed the chance during the "Free captain skill" periods.

Don't get me wrong, WG offering such feature is a wonderful thing. I'm not the one to bite the hands that feed you, kind of person.

We just need to tweak a bit here, a bit there to get to a place where everyone could benefit with small inclusion of features in port.

• Cool 3

Players
1,420 posts
8,385 battles

Hey! WG needs to make money from this, AT LEAST to pay for development, servers and make sure things goes allright.
There is a way to make everything free tho.

• Cool 1

[BABBY]
Players
682 posts
10,290 battles

Not that I play WT anymore but they did this one right. When you train a crew for a vehicle it "remembers" all previous vehicles. Would be nice to have this feature in wows when nerfhammers are swinging back and forth :Smile_unsure:

• Cool 4

Players
4,019 posts

The amount of times I was "refitting the wrong ship". :Smile_hiding:

When you double click a ship in port, sometimes the GUI marks that ship, gives the sound like it was changed, but in reality the last ship is still selected.

I have refitted (for example) a DD captain to BB captain (and payed for it) only to pay for it again to correct "my" mistake.

That is one (just one) of the reasons, I think OK ... charge me for moving captain. But don't charge me for refitting the captain.

All points were earned and I should be allowed to experiment with that. Current prices are too high ... especially after the rework, where most of people still have not "figured out" the AA skills.

• Cool 2

[SEN]
Players
795 posts
53 minutes ago, BlackYeti said:

Not that I play WT anymore but they did this one right. When you train a crew for a vehicle it "remembers" all previous vehicles. Would be nice to have this feature in wows when nerfhammers are swinging back and forth :Smile_unsure:

The reason I made this post is the same, mate : I was also once a "heavy" WT player, and yes, they did that from start. Fair and nice, sad wows do not do the same...

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
13,794 posts
19,513 battles

I hope you realize that you're not forced to pay a thing. Every single doubloon spent is your decision and yours alone.

This is like someone going to a supermarket, buying something but then complaining that he had to pay money for it. Ridiculous.

• Cool 6

[SEN]
Players
795 posts

Ridiculous is to buy THE SAME thing multiple times.

Like was already mentioned here,  are similar games where you are NOT charged several times for the very same thing.

But you probably are not a WT player, so you have no idea...

There you can use planes or tanks, and the grind system is almost the same, progression, tiers, etc, the games are very similar; Even the thing with "premium" time/ vehicles, etc.

Sometime I have the sensation the most devs are the same for both games !

And there, in WT,  once you have a pilot/driver "specialized" in a vehicle,  you are not charged again ever no matter how many times you return to that vehicle.

Players
82 posts
27,919 battles
13 hours ago, thiextar said:

This.

I don't think i have ever paid for retraining in doubloons.

Use 200k credits option to half the price and then the rest with elite captain xp.

[NWP]
Players
2,645 posts
16,278 battles
2 hours ago, SEN_SEN_Channel_Portugue said:

Ridiculous is to buy THE SAME thing multiple times.

Like was already mentioned here,  are similar games where you are NOT charged several times for the very same thing.

There you can use planes or tanks, and the grind system is almost the same, progression, tiers, etc, the games are very similar; Even the thing with "premium" time/ vehicles, etc.

Sometime I have the sensation the most devs are the same for both games !

And there, in WT,  once you have a pilot/driver "specialized" in a vehicle,  you are not charged again ever no matter how many times you return to that vehicle.

picky in the games used in comparison. Npw do the same and replace WT by WOT

Players
2,206 posts

I actually see the OPs point.

If you train/learn to drive a Car and then decide to ride a Motorbike later you are still able to return to the car at a later date without retraining..

If you train to be an accountant and then decide to become a solicitor you are still a trained accountant....

His point is valid.

• Cool 2

Players
2,644 posts
18,864 battles

I think the retraining system is crude and discourages experimentation within the same ship and captain combo, which is a pity. It would be nice if we could detrain specific skills only, at a fixed per point price, either in captain points, doubloons or even credits. Also being forced to build it up in a specific order at first is weird and unnessecery.

Edit: oh and how primitive is it to not being able to fix mistakes while retraining. If you make a mistake you can only fix it by paying up again. What would be nice is being able to reset skills until the retrained captain plays it's first battle.

• Cool 8

[H_FAN]
Players
2,570 posts
40,970 battles
7 minutes ago, Europizza said:

I think the retraining system is crude and discourages experimentation within the same ship and captain combo, which is a pity. It would be nice if we could detrain specific skills only, at a fixed per point price, either in captain points, doubloons or even credits. Also being forced to build it up in a specific order at first is weird and unnessecery.

Yes I think like you thatr the cost should be different if I say want to replace IFHE with AFT = 4 points or do a complete rebuild.

I would have done far more if it were that way say 25 gold per captain point. If we say that it should cost gold. I would also like that it a few times a year predictabily should be a free experimentation week. 

But I also understand that WOWs is dependant on microtransfers so the balance in income must function. But I do believe that a points based cost would result in more changes and would therefor hardly be less income.

• Cool 1

Players
2,644 posts
18,864 battles
10 minutes ago, Gnirf said:

Yes I think like you thatr the cost should be different if I say want to replace IFHE with AFT = 4 points or do a complete rebuild.

I would have done far more if it were that way say 25 gold per captain point. If we say that it should cost gold. I would also like that it a few times a year predictabily should be a free experimentation week. 

But I also understand that WOWs is dependant on microtransfers so the balance in income must function. But I do believe that a points based cost would result in more changes and would therefor hardly be less income.

There is indeed more then just one way to make money off of this. I think it's very possible a price per point system might generate more microtransactions and more revenue compared to this system we have now. I would have retrained and experimented way more then aI do now. Retraining a captain for another ship could have it's own price tag next to it. Remembering which ships a captain is trained for is not unreasonable.

[CATS]
Players
26,279 posts
14,162 battles
3 hours ago, SEN_SEN_Channel_Portugue said:

You fail to mention that the grind for new equipment and new vehicles is MUCH harder with WT...

And if you do not have to spend  money, it does not matter...

• Bad 1

[BONUS]
Beta Tester
3,047 posts
10,662 battles

OP is not wrong in that it is clearly nonsense that a captain who was once trained on a ship should lose that if trained on another. It's the same in the tanky tanks. Some vehicles have six crewmen at 200 gold a pop. Unfortunately this is one of the ways that WG make money and it will never go away.  "Fairness" has nothing to do with it.

• Cool 6

[H_FAN]
Players
2,570 posts
40,970 battles
1 hour ago, Europizza said:

There is indeed more then just one way to make money off of this. I think it's very possible a price per point system might generate more microtransactions and more revenue compared to this system we have now. I would have retrained and experimented way more then aI do now. Retraining a captain for another ship could have it's own price tag next to it. Remembering which ships a captain is trained for is not unreasonable.

If remembering a ship should be OK then you have some difficult balancing questions. First new vs old players. As the captains move up what should the price tag be, how many ships can he remember?

With unlimited training possibilty you have 1-2 captains per line pay X amount of cash and gain unlimited almost captain elite XP so somehow restriction in training also ensures that veterans do have to prioritize which captains they have at lower mid and midtiers.

Or the cost will be astronomical (1 milj Elite XP/ 25000 doubloons/ship) and also makes the game more pay to win. I am a veteran myself so I would probably myself benifit from this and I am also prepared to spend if necessary sadly.

The statement while it is easy to find it as you say not unreasonable , I am after have thought about it for a while not that certain that it would be good for the game at least not so easy to implement and balance as on first glance. I even think it is good that it is not easy to get good captains for veterans at lower/mid tiers.  

[PONY]
Beta Tester
6,064 posts
10,375 battles
16 hours ago, SEN_SEN_Channel_Portugue said:

No.