Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
OldschoolGaming_YouTube

Henri IV is THE BEST ship for ranked season

43 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
1,282 posts
9,164 battles

If you are looking for a Beast of a ship to progress in Ranked in which for most cases secures the win for your team or if you loose secure you the nr1 spot on the loosing team which saves you that star.

Also the strongest ships to get Achievements in, usually netting you 3-4-5 in each game.

shot-19_05.31_13_00.49-0097.thumb.jpg.235a1d060dd4ccf0b5201dff06aee9ee.jpg

shot-19_05.31_13_01.11-0834.thumb.jpg.efe7e2dce2372a2b31094a3290133d97.jpg

shot-19_05.31_13_22.41-0698.thumb.jpg.9a95c4409caf599da64b2cb4280af608.jpg

shot-19_05.31_13_22.55-0180.thumb.jpg.87714ea3951bad25dca6174493ef3ea9.jpg

shot-19_05.31_13_49.59-0082.thumb.jpg.d14d49919ae335f5e8007b264e6976d2.jpg

shot-19_05.31_13_50.04-0476.thumb.jpg.9786a6970d84480e43b750b92a73303c.jpg

shot-19_05.31_14_56.44-0315.thumb.jpg.22932c5879c5ef26000e4aeb1fb3cc0e.jpg

shot-19_05.31_14_56.51-0290.thumb.jpg.d022722c2361687a46c8fc2b5290dd1f.jpg

shot-19_05.31_15_29.35-0685.thumb.jpg.e2e3cdb002e951644196a12baad7dd1a.jpg

shot-19_05.31_15_29.54-0514.thumb.jpg.81cab2dd8d2ae15ab660da152b3c014b.jpg

shot-19_05.31_15_44.19-0282.thumb.jpg.25a6f54a6ac05ff1f7b3227aea578efd.jpg

shot-19_05.31_15_44.49-0512.thumb.jpg.43c8190c83613f1dd10ee3c88a2e05af.jpg

shot-19_05.31_16_24.42-0687.thumb.jpg.e0b69c59c69442b6a1b94bf4e8448dc2.jpg

shot-19_05.31_16_24.53-0410.thumb.jpg.b5893813388827978ca61bb99115f5db.jpg

shot-19_05.31_19_01.47-0617.thumb.jpg.f5ad04881cc9ef6c52bc329065c844c1.jpg

shot-19_05.31_19_01.49-0391.thumb.jpg.286ad4ec3d6963cfadcc2b5a22929cb3.jpg

All these games was from a couple of hours one evening playing ranked.

And I havent found a BBs still that I cant burn down with all there heals without getting killed.

shot-19_05.31_13_01.35-0100.thumb.jpg.804a87d90695bad74031bc424769779b.jpg

135k damage out of the Kurfurst. + a full Stalingrad .....!

shot-19_05.31_13_23.06-0098.thumb.jpg.c6ce32e2f206cd61a3809ea73f286417.jpg

Half a Yamato (who was running for the hill..) and a half Conqueror (also running ...) and of course a full Stalingrad.

shot-19_05.31_13_50.13-0868.thumb.jpg.d9cc05b31c8bec518e3a196823b37b17.jpg

76 k from a Yamato and 60 from another Yama.

shot-19_05.31_14_56_56-0148.thumb.jpg.969e8482b20591659fef5252950549e3.jpg

68k from a Conqueror and 68k from a Kurfurst

shot-19_05.31_15_30.02-0560.thumb.jpg.8c67547ed916cf8e76bde8078685d116.jpg

90k of a Rep and 85k from a Kurfurst.

shot-19.05.31_19.01.49-0391.jpg

shot-19.05.31_15.30.02-0560.jpg

• Cool 1

[CU]
Players
174 posts
14,311 battles

You should maybe hide the screenshot spam, but yeah Henri is awesome boat.

I enjoy deliberately getting spotted at start of match then setting fire to anyone who is foolish enough to shoot me at 20+ km.

• Cool 1

[XTREM]
[XTREM]
Players
409 posts
10,110 battles

idk if it's ''THE BEST'' but is it good?

You bet your :etc_swear:. No real surprise, tbh

[CU]
Players
174 posts
14,311 battles
1 minute ago, Miragetank90 said:

idk if it's ''THE BEST'' but is it good?

You bet your :etc_swear:. No real surprise, tbh

It struggles to carry if team is awful, but is amazing support.

• Cool 1

Players
205 posts
10,198 battles

Same as Conq, both are star savers beacuse of HE dmg farm, thats why i especially enjoyed cv in ranked so now they can try to save star with me in cv in same team and they will fail since i can also farm dmg as they are 20+km but i can do it better.

• Cool 1

Players
196 posts

Ive seen a HIV get more base-exp on the loosing team than the best player on the winning team. That must have burned. :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

Players
1,061 posts
9,065 battles

The Henri's ive seen are mostly damage farming c:etc_swear:nts. It is like every single on of them plays to keep the star right from the get go instead of for the win .

Excellent support ships but they cannot spot and they cannot tank (yeah back and forth with speedboost at maxrange).

No offense tho (because doing 200k+ dmg is a lot of work do not get me wrong) but in this BB heavy meta doing 200k fire damage across multiple battleships isnt what decides the games.

There are obviously exceptions, like you have shown us @OldschoolGaming_YouTube, but the Henri's ive encountered so far are of questionable use for the team and play very selfish.

• Cool 5

Players
244 posts
1,406 battles
14 minutes ago, GarrusBrutus said:

but the Henri's ive encountered so far are of questionable use for the team and play very selfish.

You must have met me then because I'm struggling to make my Henri work in any way other than scooting around mid pack farming, and farming badly. The Zao on the other hand feels like it's stuck on 'auto win' in comparison.

I look at the build of the Henri and the Captain, cross reference these with all available recommendations, but still it doesn't give me much confidence. I was on the brink of Rank IX and now I'm back at Rank XI. Maybe I'll just go back to the Zao and park the Henri in port. But here's a question that I can't resolve because there seems so many contrary opinions, IFHE for the Henri or not?

Beta Tester
1,282 posts
9,164 battles
7 hours ago, Muppeteer said:

You should maybe hide the screenshot spam, but yeah Henri is awesome boat.

I enjoy deliberately getting spotted at start of match then setting fire to anyone who is foolish enough to shoot me at 20+ km.

That is pretty much mu strategy at every start of the game as well. Follow the DD towards the cap, get spotted (because running the Legendary module gives you 16km detection), see tha number targeting you go up to 4-5 or 6, activate speed boost and turn , making all those salvos miss, and then its just free farm on all those spotted ships. Extra bonus is that you almost spot then enemy teams movement just as good as a CV.

6 hours ago, Muppeteer said:

It struggles to carry if team is awful, but is amazing support.

I think it can carry a potatoe team pretty well, only problem is if you are all alone and no one spots for you and you have 16 km detection ...

4 minutes ago, GarrusBrutus said:

The Henri's ive seen are mostly damage farming c:etc_swear:nts. It is like every single on of them plays to keep the star right from the get go instead of for the win .

Excellent support ships but they cannot spot and they cannot tank (yeah back and forth with speedboost at maxrange).

No offense tho (because doing 200k+ dmg is a lot of work do not get me wrong) but in this BB heavy meta doing 200k fire damage across multiple battleships isnt what decides the games.

There are obviously exceptions, like you have shown us @OldschoolGaming_YouTube, but the Henri's ive encountered so far are of questionable use for the team and play very selfish.

I can totally see you point, seen a lot of bad Henri players in ranked as well, but I feel that is more the players then the ship. And I have to disagree about the damage farming is just to try and save a star. I think everybody in their right mind (which is a stretch in Ranked ... I totally see the irony here xD ) would play to win first, because winning a star is much better then just saving a star. And "Damage farming" you could say to pretty much the most ships (Yamatos, Rep, Zao, etc etc.). That said its just an extra bonus that when you get a team that just suicides in the first minutes you will always put so much damage on the enemy that you will secure the nr1 spot on the loosing side.

And as you can see from the pics, you have no troubles tanking often 2 million damage while burning down their BB support. The only thing its kind of bad at, for obvious reasons, is pushing caps and helping DDs out in caps (even thos the reload booster can be devestating to DDs when spotted).

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
1,282 posts
9,164 battles
13 minutes ago, 250swb said:

You must have met me then because I'm struggling to make my Henri work in any way other than scooting around mid pack farming, and farming badly. The Zao on the other hand feels like it's stuck on 'auto win'.

I look at the build of the Henri and the Captain, cross reference these with all available recommendations, but still it doesn't give me much confidence. I was on the brink of Rank IX and now I'm back at Rank XI. Maybe I'll just go back to the Zao and park the Henri in port. But here's a question that I can't resolve because there seems so many contrary opinions, IFHE for the Henri or not?

If you want to get some tips on how I play Henri to get all these games showned above, I will dump a whole series of "Henri in Ranked" videos on my channel the upcoming days, maybe that can give you a tip or two. Not saying im a pro player, but I seemed to have figured out how to maximize on the Henri. Have a average damage of 131k per game right now and the number just goes up.

Heres the first video in that series.

Not saying my ship or Captain build is the best there is for Henri, but you can see it and my explanation around my pics in the video below. But, YES, you definatly want IFHE on your Henri, you even pic that before Consealment expert. IFHE isnt specially great for the 2 predecessors, C. Martell and Saint Loius, but for the Henri´s 240 mm guns the IFHE skill makes you murder all top armoured ships with 50 mm plating, like most T10 BBs, Khabarovsk and especially pests like Moskva and Stalingrad as you can see in the pics above. They just melt under your fire with IFHE skill.

And I actually opted out of all AA build since AA is pretty broken and bad at he moment and even tho im actually push the enemys strong flank alone in the Henri I usually dont have that much of an issue dealing with carriers, exept that one time I had to face a OMNI player in a Haku.

• Cool 2

Players
244 posts
1,406 battles

Thanks very much for those vids, very informative.

It seems like my setup is pretty good already so I'll stick with Henri for a bit longer and work through my own approach. 

Players
1,061 posts
9,065 battles

@250swb I can also recommend Atothek's videos. He covers basically the same as Oldschool does. The difference is in the details.

Spoiler

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,282 posts
9,164 battles
1 hour ago, 250swb said:

Thanks very much for those vids, very informative.

It seems like my setup is pretty good already so I'll stick with Henri for a bit longer and work through my own approach. 

Part Deux!

Players
1,908 posts
12,095 battles
3 hours ago, OldschoolGaming_YouTube said:

I think it can carry a potatoe team pretty well, only problem is if you are all alone and no one spots for you and you have 16 km detection ...

Tried a few LM IFHenri IV games and then some tier X CV games. Decided CVs was by far the superior choice.

Henri was much less versatile because it needed spotting. Two situations especially the Henri cant deal with

-  If nobody to spot (no dds/friendly DD dead or on the other flank, or braindead), all red ships had to do was not shoot and Henri is useless. Also more importantly, they can sneak up on Henri and wreck it (Zao, Mino, Worchester)

-  DD can smoke up and spam Henri (Mino, Harugumo, Grozo) since it is spotted from the moon, even through a smoke screen.

- Honorable mention: competent CV games

Also Henri IV is countered by Hakuruy AP bombs and to a less degree, torps (can be dodged with speed boost, AP bombs cant be dodged). 

Due to the dmg farming nature of Henri, i often focused it first in my CV (after the 2 first mandatory spotting + torp missions to find dds/bbs on each flank)

Using DBs you can dodge alot of the decent Henri AA, because approaching from the bow/stern, it only takes minute course adjustments to dodge from the reinforced to the non-reinforced side.

[WBF]
Players
198 posts
11,464 battles

I watched Atothek's video, interesting option. I just stand on R5/0* and take one day break. Anyway I haven't got legendary module yet, so I'll use concealment I think. As I saw well till now Conqueror seemed able keep stars for great damage output. Anyway I keep Worchester the most multifuncional and useful ship in Ranked teamplay.

Beta Tester
2,628 posts
10,179 battles

Henri is not a carry ship. Maybe you are keeping your stars, but if you want fast progress, you need something that is more influential in early game. 

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,282 posts
9,164 battles
21 minutes ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

Tried a few LM IFHenri IV games and then some tier X CV games. Decided CVs was by far the superior choice.

Henri was much less versatile because it needed spotting. Two situations especially the Henri cant deal with

-  If nobody to spot (no dds/friendly DD dead or on the other flank, or braindead), all red ships had to do was not shoot and Henri is useless. Also more importantly, they can sneak up on Henri and wreck it (Zao, Mino, Worchester)

-  DD can smoke up and spam Henri (Mino, Harugumo, Grozo) since it is spotted from the moon, even through a smoke screen.

- Honorable mention: competent CV games

Also Henri IV is countered by Hakuruy AP bombs and to a less degree, torps (can be dodged with speed boost, AP bombs cant be dodged). 

Due to the dmg farming nature of Henri, i often focused it first in my CV (after the 2 first mandatory spotting + torp missions to find dds/bbs on each flank)

Using DBs you can dodge alot of the decent Henri AA, because approaching from the bow/stern, it only takes minute course adjustments to dodge from the reinforced to the non-reinforced side.

I can totally see your point. This thread didnt really account for CVs since WG pretty much made them a class above all the rest and in their own little bubble. And also the fact that I never played CVs and dont really know the state of them in this moment ( with rework 3.5 coming in the next patch...)

Havent had much issues with CVs in my grind exept for a game I faced a OMNI player in a Haku. I know a CV can crap on a 1 vs 3, but can you average 220-270k fames in them? Maybe you can with Hakus AP bombs...

One thing that also baffled me with Haku was its ability to strike me with torps?! All other CVs torps I have no issue to outrun with engine boost? Are they so much faster in Haku.

Players
1,908 posts
12,095 battles
28 minutes ago, OldschoolGaming_YouTube said:

I can totally see your point. This thread didnt really account for CVs since WG pretty much made them a class above all the rest and in their own little bubble. And also the fact that I never played CVs and dont really know the state of them in this moment ( with rework 3.5 coming in the next patch...)

Havent had much issues with CVs in my grind exept for a game I faced a OMNI player in a Haku. I know a CV can crap on a 1 vs 3, but can you average 220-270k fames in them? Maybe you can with Hakus AP bombs...

One thing that also baffled me with Haku was its ability to strike me with torps?! All other CVs torps I have no issue to outrun with engine boost? Are they so much faster in Haku.

I know, but I couldn't resist because of the claim in the headline :etc_red_button:

Anyhow I do agree Henri is one of the better surface ships.

Haku torps do 50 knots, can be buffed to 55 knots with TA, so no ship can outrun them (Midway for comparison do 30 knots base)

Generally speaking, good tier X CVs do a little over 10k dmg / minute (less vs multiple DDs obviously, more vs multiple BBs and CA/CLs). My average was 101k, but games rarely laster 20 mins :Smile_coin:

They may not average as high damage as your Henri, but the damage they do is not healable and high % hp. It is citadel damage (AP bombs on CAs and torps on BBs) and high-impact %hp damage (dds), so saving stars is very common in CV.

My average XP in the Hakuruy was 2651 (with premium). I checked yours in Henri, it is a pretty meaty 2415, still 10% lower (some of it probably due to my slightly higher winrate)

So yeah. CVs still very balanced above the rest :Smile_glasses:

• Cool 1

[DREAD]
Players
6,677 posts
5,542 battles
5 minutes ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

Henri is not a carry ship. Maybe you are keeping your stars, but if you want fast progress, you need something that is more influential in early game. 

What are your favourite picks for ranked?

Beta Tester
2,628 posts
10,179 battles
5 minutes ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

What are your favourite picks for ranked?

Hakuryu is objectively the strongest ship in my eyes. 

But every Ranked season I actually experiment, until I find a ship that is working for me personally in the meta of said season. Every player has to find what is working for them. This season I had no reason to switch from Haku yet. But if that changes, I will try something else - maybe Grozovoi. 

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
1,282 posts
9,164 battles
3 hours ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

I know, but I couldn't resist because of the claim in the headline :etc_red_button:

Anyhow I do agree Henri is one of the better surface ships.

Haku torps do 50 knots, can be buffed to 55 knots with TA, so no ship can outrun them (Midway for comparison do 30 knots base)

Generally speaking, good tier X CVs do a little over 10k dmg / minute (less vs multiple DDs obviously, more vs multiple BBs and CA/CLs). My average was 101k, but games rarely laster 20 mins :Smile_coin:

They may not average as high damage as your Henri, but the damage they do is not healable and high % hp. It is citadel damage (AP bombs on CAs and torps on BBs) and high-impact %hp damage (dds), so saving stars is very common in CV.

My average XP in the Hakuruy was 2651 (with premium). I checked yours in Henri, it is a pretty meaty 2415, still 10% lower (some of it probably due to my slightly higher winrate)

So yeah. CVs still very balanced above the rest :Smile_glasses:

Daaamn ,,,, 50 knots... no wonder I got struck then. So its seems tp be almost 90% CV (Haku) games in ranked 5 to 1 and then it will be pretty harder to save a star when the CV can outsurvive them all. It was really a genious move by WG to add cvs into the ranked season, specially since they are not even close to be finished balancing them.

I guess I need to become a CV main instead.

Players
1,908 posts
12,095 battles
2 minutes ago, OldschoolGaming_YouTube said:

Daaamn ,,,, 50 knots... no wonder I got struck then. So its seems tp be almost 90% CV (Haku) games in ranked 5 to 1 and then it will be pretty harder to save a star when the CV can outsurvive them all. It was really a genious move by WG to add cvs into the ranked season, specially since they are not even close to be finished balancing them.

I guess I need to become a CV main instead.

Depends what you want. I used to play DDs and they're definitely unplayable. This is my first season in another class and cruisers are at least viable :)

Henri can dodge torps sometimes by changing speed  with engine boost. They are fairly annoying to torpedo as they will dodge one or both torps half the time. Thus AP bombs are a better choice.

[UNICS]
Players
3,326 posts
13,352 battles
13 minutes ago, OldschoolGaming_YouTube said:

I think it was time to see the overall class balance. Ranked is a pretty well suited mode for this. Just too bad we can't check the overall stats for ourselves yet. Hopefully they'll get sorted in time.

9 minutes ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

Depends what you want. I used to play DDs and they're definitely unplayable. This is my first season in another class and cruisers are at least viable :)

Henri can dodge torps sometimes by changing speed  with engine boost. They are fairly annoying to torpedo as they will dodge one or both torps half the time. Thus AP bombs are a better choice.

It seems Haku needs a few nerfs, maybe the rest of the cvs as well. Kind of tricky to balance, but it's becoming pretty obvious that cvs, and Haku in particular, is the way to go in Ranked.

Another issue is that while you can counter planes to some degree (maybe in AA Grozo, don't have it :Smile_sad:) in AA Gearing - you'll have a super gimped dd which is easily countered by most other dds. So, cvs mess things up for dds no matter what.

Players
1,908 posts
12,095 battles
59 minutes ago, loppantorkel said:

I think it was time to see the overall class balance. Ranked is a pretty well suited mode for this. Just too bad we can't check the overall stats for ourselves yet. Hopefully they'll get sorted in time.

It seems Haku needs a few nerfs, maybe the rest of the cvs as well. Kind of tricky to balance, but it's becoming pretty obvious that cvs, and Haku in particular, is the way to go in Ranked.

Another issue is that while you can counter planes to some degree (maybe in AA Grozo, don't have it :Smile_sad:) in AA Gearing - you'll have a super gimped dd which is easily countered by most other dds. So, cvs mess things up for dds no matter what.

I dont think Haku in particular needs any nerfs. Going by general population stats, Haku and Midway are both quite a bit behind Audacious. Only at the very top level does Haku prove superior.

Any CV can strike bowtanking Der Moines, Stalingrads etc, that is an AA balance issue, not something specific related to Haku. 

The only difference is Haku is better against specific ships (cruisers) since AP bomb damage cannot be healed (also lets remember: hakus main damage is by torps!).

It also means Haku is at a disadvantage vs specific ships (BBs without citadels, maneuverable cruisers) where Midway TiTims and Audacious fare better.

More importantly, I actually really like the resulting more dynamic gameplay where things (DM, Stalin, Moskv) camping islands arnt viable any longer.

It means we get to play world warships instead of tower defence: HE spam.

DDs do need some big helping hand though.

I really wish we could see S12 stats.

[UNICS]
Players
3,326 posts
13,352 battles
1 hour ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

I dont think Haku in particular needs any nerfs. Going by general population stats, Haku and Midway are both quite a bit behind Audacious. Only at the very top level does Haku prove superior.

Could be true, but if R12 shows a huge gap where Haku can overperform, I think WG will look into it and nerf the high skill advantage og Haku.

IMore importantly, I actually really like the resulting more dynamic gameplay where things (DM, Stalin, Moskv) camping islands arnt viable any longer.

It means we get to play world warships instead of tower defence: HE spam.

This is good.

DDs do need some big helping hand though.

Yea, something probably needs to be done. For bbs and cruisers, I don't view cv games as changing things/meta all that much, but entering a game in a dd, there's a huge difference between it being a cv game or a non-cv game. This is all more apparent in Ranked this season. I've specced a Gearing for the cv-heavy hours and try to use Daring for times with less cvs. MM seems to screw me over more times than not, but this is where it is now for dd players.

The gap between gameplay in cv vs non-cv games was huge for all classes before the cv-rework, now it's just huge for dds. Needs to improve still. 

I really wish we could see S12 stats.

True, it would be interesting.

Sign in to follow this