Jump to content
CptWolfland

Is it just me or is it getting boring.

12 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Beta Tester
7 posts
5,219 battles

Hi there Dev's and kaptain's.

I feel that as a long time player i should give some feedback before i just quit the game. So why do i feel like quiting, well frankly the game has become so easy it's gotten boring. I feel like you never even need to engage your brain. There are no pointy edges on any of the ships anymore, no smoke edges you need to figure out and pay attention to. It's like being in a kindergarten The challange is just evaporated in all the balancing acts that has been done to satisfy those who cannot or will not learn. But im ranting now, what i would want is a sort of advanced league, where the ships are as punishing and hard hitting as they where on paper or reality. Where torpedoes, fires and flooding are a serious threath. Or maybe give us the option to fully customise the ships as long as they are within the load limit. For example bigger guns for less armor or more guns for a less caliber, bigger power plants for more speed and acceleration but at the expence of all other components. My main point is i feel like the game has lost something in the last year or so and i hope to see something more challenging because as i said it has gotten boring.

 

Sincerly:Runme_TXT

  • Cool 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CATS]
Players
26,191 posts
14,119 battles

The more you play, the more experience you get, the more easier it can feel.

Despite that, I have a feeling™ that you did not quite master the game yet...

  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
7 posts
5,219 battles

That was not quite the point i was aiming for. I meant that since the beta-test and the first year after, there has been a steady simplification of the game and i wanted to hear if there was an alternative in the pipeline. Something where you had to do more than just grind and upgrade.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CATS]
Players
26,191 posts
14,119 battles
5 hours ago, CptWolfland said:

That was not quite the point i was aiming for. I meant that since the beta-test and the first year after, there has been a steady simplification of the game and i wanted to hear if there was an alternative in the pipeline. Something where you had to do more than just grind and upgrade.

This game was never just grind and upgrade. We have enough WR 40% players on Tier X who did just that and have no clue of what they are doing.

If you do not see the tactical aspect of the game, the importance of teamplay, the motivation to get better,  then maybe it is not the right game for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
7 posts
5,219 battles

Or maybe im old and crap since the game used to hit all those buttons for me. But my point remains the same, i was try to inquire about the chances for a gamemode that was more challenging. Since i really like the game and my ships and have sunk both money and time into it. I try to answer every questionform sent to me, i made a tutorial on how to get the game runing on linux, i read every changelog for every patch and i am now trying in a last ditch effort to get some attention on the forum to the fact that there are players who like the game but feel that the edge and challange in the game has fade with every patch the last years. I am sorry if my lacking number of battles makes it hard for you to belive me, but i have played the game since it was in beta. Its just hard to sink to much time into any game when you live on social welfare and have 2 sons. There are more resons but i do not feel like giving away my life on the public forum for a game. It's this kinda treatment of anyone who questions any of your recent decisions that makes me want to quit the game.

 

Sorry for asking:Runme_TXT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BABBY]
Beta Tester
1,591 posts

The game has objectively gotten more complex. More ships (ie. stats to keep track of), maps, modes, currencies, containers, collections, consumables, etc. On release it was quite bland with just two nations and a few extraneous premiums, instead the lack of a settled metagame due to nobody being experienced offered more spontaneity. Now you and many others are journeymen at the game and recognise the patterns it can just become boring. I find it boring nowadays myself, too; I only continue to enjoy the wacky ships like Okhotnik.

 

On map design: a number of maps were designed from the get-go to be reliable 'known parameters' where it's easy to decide who should go where etc., namely North and Fault Line, with others being a bit more experimental. These two I mention haven't seen any significant changes to their layout, and never will. Meanwhile other maps start out more unusual but eventually change to be more like them, with precisely placed islands that you look at and instantly know "that's where the cruiser goes to cry radar".

 

My advice is to take a year or two off and come back to see what's new.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
7 posts
5,219 battles

Thanks for that great answer StringWitch :) Good to know its not just me. Maybe im asking to much, but i feelt i needed to air out and just see if there was something too it rather than just quit the game. Also it help, after writing out my thoughts here i have been able to have battles that where fun again. Just knowing its not just me helps. 

 

Thanks again for the answer, see you on the waves :)

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TWS]
Players
467 posts
4,665 battles

I get bored every couple of weeks, I usually just do something else. Summer is nearly here, got better things to do than play games. WoWs will feel suitably fresh on the odd evenings I choose to come muck about in boats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
8,097 posts
8,919 battles
On 6/13/2019 at 10:56 PM, StringWitch said:

On map design: a number of maps were designed from the get-go to be reliable 'known parameters' where it's easy to decide who should go where etc., namely North and Fault Line, with others being a bit more experimental. These two I mention haven't seen any significant changes to their layout, and never will

North did see a good few changes, from cap location to the big island being split apart.

 

But yeah, certain maps won't get changed much and are predictable, because of two things that kinda have to go into the equation of creating a decent map these days:

  • providing playing opportunities for every kind of ship. A map like ocean, where certain ships basically are just completely screwed overare bad design. Thus, every ship type at some point will figure out where they have to go to do their thing and be useful.
  • symetry, so one team is not worse off than the other. This is especially important for maps that go into competitive rotation in CB or Ranked.

And yeah, as you stated, the other maps start to be adjusted to be predictable, because of this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[ALYEN]
Players
1,619 posts
3,579 battles
On 6/13/2019 at 10:56 PM, StringWitch said:

The game has objectively gotten more complex. More ships (ie. stats to keep track of), maps, modes, currencies, containers, collections, consumables, etc. On release it was quite bland with just two nations and a few extraneous premiums, instead the lack of a settled metagame due to nobody being experienced offered more spontaneity. Now you and many others are journeymen at the game and recognise the patterns it can just become boring. I find it boring nowadays myself, too; I only continue to enjoy the wacky ships like Okhotnik.

 

On map design: a number of maps were designed from the get-go to be reliable 'known parameters' where it's easy to decide who should go where etc., namely North and Fault Line, with others being a bit more experimental. These two I mention haven't seen any significant changes to their layout, and never will. Meanwhile other maps start out more unusual but eventually change to be more like them, with precisely placed islands that you look at and instantly know "that's where the cruiser goes to cry radar".

 

My advice is to take a year or two off and come back to see what's new.

You are confusing width with depth ... the game became wider in options (ship lines, maps, collections etc.) but the depth did not change much (and in some cases it was made shallower - CV rework).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TSSU]
Players
150 posts
On 6/7/2019 at 3:51 PM, CptWolfland said:

Hi there Dev's and kaptain's.

I feel that as a long time player i should give some feedback before i just quit the game. So why do i feel like quiting, well frankly the game has become so easy it's gotten boring. I feel like you never even need to engage your brain. There are no pointy edges on any of the ships anymore, no smoke edges you need to figure out and pay attention to. It's like being in a kindergarten The challange is just evaporated in all the balancing acts that has been done to satisfy those who cannot or will not learn. But im ranting now, what i would want is a sort of advanced league, where the ships are as punishing and hard hitting as they where on paper or reality. Where torpedoes, fires and flooding are a serious threath. Or maybe give us the option to fully customise the ships as long as they are within the load limit. For example bigger guns for less armor or more guns for a less caliber, bigger power plants for more speed and acceleration but at the expence of all other components. My main point is i feel like the game has lost something in the last year or so and i hope to see something more challenging because as i said it has gotten boring.

 

Sincerly:Runme_TXT

Got to bear in mind (or bare?) that if they want to make money, they need to appeal to a wider gameplayer base. There has to be *some* catering for all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BABBY]
Beta Tester
1,591 posts
On 6/18/2019 at 2:48 AM, Cagliostro_chan said:

North did see a good few changes, from cap location to the big island being split apart.

Yeah, I thought about that but the list of maps with complete overhauls is actually a bit big nowadays: Tears, Trap, Okinawa, Land of Fire (maybe, forgot how much it changed), Hotspot, Islands of Ice (twice). The changes to North are more along the lines of those that Two Brothers has seen, and they're happy to keep the original version in rotation as Northern Lights, but that's just my assessment in the end.

 

On 6/18/2019 at 8:06 PM, Hugh_Ruka said:

You are confusing width with depth ... the game became wider in options (ship lines, maps, collections etc.) but the depth did not change much (and in some cases it was made shallower - CV rework).

I only said the game is more complex; that only means there are more elements in play. I didn't say anything about width or depth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×