You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
elblancogringo

Why is slingshot not fixed yet?

50 comments in this topic

Players
1,133 posts
7,085 battles

Hi all

Slingshot has been here for a while now. People have talked about, made videos about, so a lot of players know about it.

I am not a very good CV player, to say the least, but I can use it without any problem. If I can, well, everybody can.

So saying that "it's hard to use" like WG stated previously just sounds like a really bad excuse. What is hard in dropping at the 7 kms mark, then redropping a second time??

Why aren't they putting a lot of effort into correcting something that is fundamentally a slap in the face of all people who specialize their ships and captains with AA builds?

Not only it is disrespectful, but it could even be considered as false advertising.

I paid doubloons to respec AA builds, then realize it was a waste of my money, as CVs can just ignore my AA.

@Crysantos @MrConway Please enlighten me, what is the reason explaining why it takes so much time to correct this issue? Why not removing totally the immunity period, even if it means buffing a little bit the HP of the planes?

I just can't understand, it makes no sense to me.

Regards

• Cool 1

[XTREM]
Players
3,603 posts
10,810 battles
Vor 30 Minuten, elblancogringo sagte:

Hi all

Slingshot has been here for a while now. People have talked about, made videos about, so a lot of players know about it.

I am not a very good CV player, to say the least, but I can use it without any problem. If I can, well, everybody can.

So saying that "it's hard to use" like WG stated previously just sounds like a really bad excuse. What is hard in dropping at the 7 kms mark, then redropping a second time??

Why aren't they putting a lot of effort into correcting something that is fundamentally a slap in the face of all people who specialize their ships and captains with AA builds?

Not only it is disrespectful, but it could even be considered as false advertising.

I paid doubloons to respec AA builds, then realize it was a waste of my money, as CVs can just ignore my AA.

@Crysantos @MrConway Please enlighten me, what is the reason explaining why it takes so much time to correct this issue? Why not removing totally the immunity period, even if it means buffing a little bit the HP of the planes?

I just can't understand, it makes no sense to me.

Regards

i never slingshot. Pls remove it and buff plane hp. i will become more op

• Cool 1

[RONIN]
Players
1,662 posts
8,560 battles

I dont specializes my captains with AA skills, whatever whatever I take my chances....

[THIR]
Players
700 posts
3,987 battles

Afaik they said it's so difficult to pull off, might as well leave it in the game.

So whenever you meet a CV slingshotting through your AA, remind yourself that 'he's not playing like a normal CV would'. :Smile_trollface:

• Funny 2

[FLYD]
Players
1,350 posts
13,055 battles

It's pretty hard to remove because option b for that would be a massive increase in HP for all bombers. Or rework the whole handshake that parts off the planes used....

In short it is all a lot of work.

• Cool 1

[KAKE]
Players
2,519 posts
5,938 battles

Working as intended because muh cinematic experience.

Beta Tester
1,110 posts
4,303 battles
2 hours ago, Stormhawk_V said:

Afaik they said it's so difficult to pull off, might as well leave it in the game.

So whenever you meet a CV slingshotting through your AA, remind yourself that 'he's not playing like a normal CV would'. :Smile_trollface:

I managed to almost do it on a tier 4 carrier it is not that hard if you learn timing and distance.

[THIR]
Players
700 posts
3,987 battles
4 minutes ago, ironhammer500 said:

I managed to almost do it on a tier 4 carrier it is not that hard if you learn timing and distance.

Then go tell WG. I'm sure they'll remove it when you explain the problem well enough.

[THROW]
Players
865 posts
23,241 battles

You can't remove it. If you just take it away then you'll be taming damage on planes that you can't even control which will fly into flak in the 3 or 4 seconds yoi lose control of them and all get blapped. So sorry but its here to stay :) 

• Cool 4
  • Bad 2

Beta Tester
1,110 posts
4,303 battles
3 minutes ago, Stormhawk_V said:

Then go tell WG. I'm sure they'll remove it when you explain the problem well enough.

I don't think they can remove it as it is part of the core game play mechanics. Players have just found an exploit with it the only thing they can do is increase the recovery time on striker which might help balance carriers but lets face it they are only going for the console players who want now now now.

[THIR]
Players
700 posts
3,987 battles
6 minutes ago, Mr_Snoww said:

You can't remove it. If you just take it away then you'll be taming damage on planes that you can't even control which will fly into flak in the 3 or 4 seconds yoi lose control of them and all get blapped. So sorry but its here to stay :) 

Yes, we absolutely need a mechanic that allows CVs to bypass all AA. :Smile_facepalm:

Beta Tester
1,110 posts
4,303 battles
12 minutes ago, Stormhawk_V said:

Yes, we absolutely need a mechanic that allows CVs to bypass all AA. :Smile_facepalm:

All they need to do is remove the immunity during an attack.

[THIR]
Players
700 posts
3,987 battles
Just now, ironhammer500 said:

All they need to do is remove the immunity during an attack.

Uhh, no. The slingshot is the issue because it teleports your planes directly above the target and a lot more needs to be done on top of this to put out the dumpster fire reworked CVs are.

Beta Tester
1,110 posts
4,303 battles
2 minutes ago, Stormhawk_V said:

Uhh, no. The slingshot is the issue because it teleports your planes directly above the target and a lot more needs to be done on top of this to put out the dumpster fire reworked CVs are.

Well if the whole squad still takes damage it wont be effective to be stuck in the attack animation while your planes get chewed up.

[THIR]
Players
700 posts
3,987 battles
Just now, ironhammer500 said:

Well if the whole squad still takes damage it wont be effective to be stuck in the attack animation while your planes get chewed up.

Chewed up by what? Short range continuous won't stop the strike and AA clouds don't hit anyway during the animation.

[KOKOS]
Players
445 posts
6,314 battles

Can someone quickly enlighten a scrub like me how slingshot works and why it is detrimental to the game?

Edit: Thanks guys. :)

[THIR]
Players
700 posts
3,987 battles
10 minutes ago, genosse said:

Can someone quickly enlighten a scrub like me how slingshot works and why it is detrimental to the game?

You strike, boost and strike again.

The immunity window after a drop is used to keep your planes safe on the way to your actual target. The lenght of the 'leap' is determined by the speed of your planes (varies depending on CV). Combine this with shortening your squads before the attack and losses become minimal even against ships with massive AA.

• Cool 1

[KAKE]
Players
2,519 posts
5,938 battles
9 minutes ago, genosse said:

Basically, because the New CV Experience™ needs to be Cinematic!, it's made so that your viewpoint follows the attacking flight all the way until the ordnance hits something (this time depending on how long the drop is, of course).

In order for you not to lose all the remaining planes while the game displays the awesome visuals of your bombs dropping and the attacking planes pulling up, they introduced an immunity mechanism for the planes not attacking. During this period, the rest of the strike planes will continue to fly in a straight direction and are essentially immune to damage until the camera catches up with them and you regain control. So by just aiming your flight at your target and dropping a strike into the water, you can make the rest of the flight move several km towards your intended target while effectively ignoring AA.

• Cool 1

[FABER]
[FABER]
Players
617 posts
6,307 battles

So let’s say I drop a BB which is near an unspotted tier 10 DD: my bombs are falling  and my planes are flying in a straight line without control, DD activates his AA and with his 100% acquisition chance on AA all his flak will spawn exactly ahead of my planes doing thousands of damage.

This is the most extreme case in my opinion, but should be useful to evidence what is the purpose of that immunity zone.

Also planes HP are probably balanced about not taking damage after a drop, so even by giving back plane control just after  the drop, the global HP I have in a squad should be a bit higher to compensate the fact that it will be always taking damage.

• Cool 1

[WGP2W]
Beta Tester
1,229 posts
6,296 battles
1 hour ago, Mr_Snoww said:

Surface ships also take damage from things in the sky they can’t control. Feels so RNG’y, so makes sense to give both parties this crap feeling.

[THROW]
Players
865 posts
23,241 battles
1 minute ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

Surface ships also take damage from things in the sky they can’t control. Feels so RNG’y, so makes sense to give both parties this crap feeling.

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or just dumb lol

[ROT8]
[ROT8]
Beta Tester
1,506 posts
9,980 battles

who needs sling shot when so many suckers sit behind islands and you can just fly round them and blap the fools

slingshot is hard to actually do and also every db type has different start rangers that only the best cv players can pull it off on a regular basis

personally as a cv player I would prefer more hp dbs and sling shot removed as it will just make me more likely to get more strikes in

• Cool 1

[ROT8]
[ROT8]
Beta Tester
1,506 posts
9,980 battles
3 minutes ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

I know some players seem to forget ships can actually turn to avoid incoming fire so how is it fair when planes cannot turn to avoid flak??

[LADA]
Players
543 posts
8,357 battles

^^ Combine the above with bugged AA and hey Presto! The interaction between ships/air just became all the more lopsided.

Someone at WG really needs to extract their head from their ars....I mean spreadsheet, and sort it out. Its been five months of this unmitigated pigs breakfast of a rework with WG aimlessly stumbling from one half-baked fix to another. 

3 minutes ago, Bics93 said:

So let’s say I drop a BB which is near an unspotted tier 10 DD: my bombs are falling  and my planes are flying in a straight line without control, DD activates his AA and with his 100% acquisition chance on AA all his flak will spawn exactly ahead of my planes doing thousands of damage.

This is the most extreme case in my opinion, but should be useful to evidence what is the purpose of that immunity zone.

Also planes HP are probably balanced about not taking damage after a drop, so even by giving back plane control just after  the drop, the global HP I have in a squad should be a bit higher to compensate the fact that it will be always taking damage.

The hypothetical DD has now watched all his AA power harmlessly nullified by the drop immunity...

Let's say I'm in a DD and launch a load of torps at the same BBin your scenario - should I also not get an immunity of a few seconds after my attack too? Just in case someone shoots back at me. Wouldn't that be a tad ridiculous? 

If you're giving one class all these miraculous tools to idiot-proof them - why not give the other classes the same?