YabbaCoe

0.8.5 PTS - Rogue Wave event

19 comments in this topic

[WG]
WG Staff
3,918 posts
4,294 battles

Captains! :cap_cool:

On Public Test of version 0.8.5 you can try new special event called Rogue Wave.

You can find more information about this event HERE

Leave your feedback regarding Rogue Wave below.

Players
37 posts
3,859 battles

Played the game mode a bit, it's quite fun but with random people against divisions that's going to be unplayable, they just go on their solo adventure to get a useless buff and die to an enemy team. Once again WG dramatically overestimated the average player, I think the buffs should lead to the middle area and nowhere else. Stuff on the edge needs to go or randoms are going to be insanely frustrating. WG, keep in mind that you have players with less than 10k average damage in tier 10 in your game. How do you think they're going to deal with additional complexity?

Also, the odds of winning are now 25% so the losing rewards better improve or there won't be any point playing this at all. I don't even understand how WG didn't figure this out.

All in all so far, while the gameplay is fine, everything around it is a major failure and clearly not ready for prime time.

• Cool 1

[LUSOS]
Players
319 posts
17,775 battles

Great and fun game mode.

I got all the dds avaiable, some are funnier to play than others, as usual. But I really dont get those with the 4 km torps+secondaries  and 5.6 km+ concealment.

Who will want to play a ship that has to run into torps and gun fire to be able to hit others? Its not for their stealth either...

As i saw it, it will be interesting when its 4 divisions agaisnt each other.

[BAD-A]
Players
7 posts
11,568 battles

The Rogue Wave event itslef appears to give out, after a lot of individual missions across four directives, a camo for the Gearing, and then the Gearing itself with a 3 point captain.  Is this just on the PT serveri or is this camo and ship given out as a reward on the live server?  If the former, it doesn't seem worth bothering with the event (given the number of games required to complete all the directives), if the latter (i.e. it IS  a reward on the live server for completing the evvent in PT) then, for those who havent't got the ship, it is well worth working on over the weekend.  Which is it?

[POP]
Players
597 posts
11,663 battles

There is a high chance of games getting stagnated at the end game. Players tend to play it safe and stay behind islands. At the worst they just stay there and no one moves.

[TTT]
Players
2,089 posts
21,044 battles
14 hours ago, powerverde said:

But I really dont get those with the 4 km torps+secondaries  and 5.6 km+ concealment.

They are knife fighters with crazy mobility. Carnal can stop and start quickly, another one (Kléber-variant) can turn on a dime. They are strong when you know how to WASD.

I was skeptical at first but it turns out to be a fun mode. Divisions are very strong just like in other Battle Royale games. If you end up 1 vs. 8 you can just hide and wait for the enemies to kill each other off, I was lucky enough to win such a match.

Must-have skills to pick: Vigilance, Radio Location. Concealment only for the very stealthy torpedo boats.

Players
144 posts
29,098 battles

As mentioned before, the WG is increasingly focusing on the arcade game, and this mode is pure arcade.:Smile_child:

Personally, I like the graphics and the environment (certainly 100 times better than the one seen in the "spatial" mode).

However, the game mode, while fun, is too childish and agitated, you spend all your time just dodging torpedoes launched from every direction, or waiting for others to eliminate each other.
Furthermore, it is unlikely that the player's commitment or skill will be rewarded with victory, given that the average winning chance is only 25%.

Winning is practically just a matter of luck ... the luck of finding the lucky team,  and don't come across one of the many bugs. :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

Players
449 posts
15,638 battles

The UI desperately needs unique colours for each team. Knowing which players - if any  - are working together is crucial as the match draws to a close.

Players
1,619 posts
18,165 battles

Well since the mini update I have not had any game crashing issues so that is great, 

One thing that would help is if different teams were identified if not by colour then at least a team 1, 2, 3 etc because it makes a huge difference if your joining a general melee or sailing right into 3 ships working together. 

Overall this game mode is a good laugh it's very fast and easy going, although the torp only boats will not be for everyone and I can foresee a lot of people complaining they are too hard, but then there are always people who complain things are too difficult. 

However honestly I cannot see any real reason to play this game mode, perhaps it will appeal to some who want very fast paced battles but for me unless the rewards are exceptional I just can't see why I would want to play this rather than operations or random battles. I honestly got bored with it after about 6 or 7 battles, and I usually love playing DDs. The only real upside was no CVs but I miss being challenged by radar cruisers etc. 

• Cool 1

[ROHAN]
[ROHAN]
Players
4 posts
14,056 battles

Well done Wargaming! I am positively surprised as I was not expecting much anymore from those devs... BUT Savage Battle is the perfect Fusion of WOWS Battle Royale version (Ring of Fire), Arms Race buff stacking and Torpedo Beat mode. Please implement this as a permanent game mode for all of us DD aficionados that can't stomach the current CV meta. Thanks.

[BOATX]
Players
69 posts
10,071 battles

I guess my comment will show my age, but frankly I find this mode a complete bore. It might turn out to be interesting in division vs division, but with random people it just turns into a hide and seek in the middle, if you live long enough.

Really do not see the point to this Battle Royale squads (with ships) mode....

To top it all off, as mentioned above, the UI is completely rubbish and you cannot tell the squads (apart from your own apart). 

I think I'll give it a miss when it comes out.

[POP]
Players
597 posts
11,663 battles

Some random unorganized thoughts without too many arguments behind them

- Sometimes torpedos wont fire. Fixable by a game restart.

- Smoke is useless, Only acts as a pointer for people to shoot torps at.

- Hydro is borderline balanced. Could maybe use a slightly less action time as it is so powerfull tool

- Reload boosters either didn't work or didn't have any noticeable effect

- Heal is by far the most usefull consumable

- The respawn and distribution of buff circles are good imo.

- Map is too cluttered especially if the end game happens to happen at the more cluttered spaces.

- Crashing buildings are a nice graphical addition. How about if the buildings would crash when torping?

- Many of the ships seem a tad unbalanced. Just couldn't get a win with a Carnal but it was a constant steamroll with Sea Devils.

- Give something for the players to go after the first kill/kills in general. Otherwise there's a chance all of the teams will just wait for the "others" to kill themselves first, stagnating the game. We actively went after other teams, but there really wasn't any real motivation to do so. If you want to maximize your chances for a win you will actively try to avoid battle at the start.

- Some of the islands were so large that you couldn't get back from the fire inside the safe space in time. Maybe punch a hole or two for some of the largest islands?

- I like the 3v3v3v3 mode. So much more fun when you can try to "lure" teams to fight each other

- Random buffs are great. You hope for the hydro but get the smoke. Oh the agony

[CTT]
Players
5 posts
3,926 battles

25% winrate and no awards for being second or third has not much incentive compared to randoms.

meanwhile the consumables are almost pointless, because it is mostly a torpedo jousting. maybe if a meta formed for this game mode, then the consumables would make a difference between higher level players. but I don't expect much in a temporary "for the lolz" rampage mode.

Players
1,461 posts
8,347 battles

I will try not to be hard, but it is a waste of concept. If you can not use guns simply the ability of the player does not matter. And if the player's ability does not matter, it's not fun for anyone on planet Earth.

Spinning around like a headless chicken discarding any strategy, does not have the slightest sense of fun or reward factor.

However the concept BR in random could work as a new game mode.

[WAZ]
Players
35 posts
1,651 battles

Round #2 feedback related to "Savage Battle" (AWOL on round #1):

• Ships have AA, and it can be destroyed. It's unnecessary to know that you destroyed enemy AA or lost your own, and hopefully their existence does not cause certain damage to be absorbed into the AA rather than be dealt to other ship parts if AA wasn't existent. If that is the case, hopefully it didn't slip by unconsidered.
  • For team colors, two shades of yellow is not cool, at least on my setup that is, since I can hardly tell them apart. Couldn't you pick any of the 17,000 other colors? Go green.
  • Consumable collection is consistently not collectable for the first second(s) after the timer expires.
  • Consumables on the map, may you please consider for the map to illustrate time remaining? Off the top of my head I recall locked being grey, unlocked white? Then maybe as time passes, more & more of the circle icon turns from grey to white. Hopefully this or some other approach would be useful & noise-free.
  • On a few occassions the camera jumped extremely high & then returned down, obviously it's probably due to a conflict with high buildings, especially since it only happened when they were opposite to the front of the camera & very close to my ship.
  • Both the environment (consumables & fire considered) and the lack of rewards for killing enemies seem to pose only a mild or no incentive for seeking to encounter enemies, so teams might be tempted to wait the game out until other enemies wear each other out.
    • Now this isn't necessarily a flaw, as such knowledge is not hardly-realized or inaccessible to any participants, and hence it might be their liability for not concluding or valuing it into their actions. It also might not be a clear & objective fact, but rather a subjective matter of perspective.
    • I suppose it would constitute a flaw if, for example, eventually the majority of teams end up playing passively, shifting the game-mode to something the majority dislikes, both the ones who caused this meta, and the ones who didn't.
    • On a lesser note, if you want to cater to the less-smart who leeroy-jenkins into battle... but reworking the environment for such purpose is a can of worms. Tip the newbies off, if they don't listen, then would all that safe-guarding be worth it?
  • Ramming is de $#!^ XD: If people are yet to abuse it, they might do so very soon. I liked how a weapon that is rarely ever viable or considered, now is a valid staple choice and in fact something to plan with & against as much as other weapons. It felt remarkable being able to get two last-seconds-decelerate ramming kills & still staying alive. You might wanna review ramming mechanics, including its signal & viability to repair consumable, and be sure it all fits as-is for this game-mode.

All in all, lovely game-mode. Hope it stays so until the last game :)

- KitCat.