Jump to content
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
___V_E_N_O_M___

This is why ships shouldnt have excessive frontal armour

36 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[RONIN]
Players
1,663 posts
8,589 battles

You get stupid mexican stand-offs like this, these two Tier 9 RU BBs have been facing off like this for 10 mins:

 

image.thumb.png.4035e87193104057fb3813cb29d71c48.png

  • Funny 2
  • Boring 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[XTREM]
[XTREM]
Players
1,583 posts
13,503 battles

Should have switched to HE. Even with their funny dmg con, they would get sticking fires. 

 

You would get a similar situation with 2 Iowas. This isn't about excessive frontal armour. 

 

 

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[RONIN]
Players
1,663 posts
8,589 battles
18 minutes ago, Miragetank90 said:

Should have switched to HE. Even with their funny dmg con, they would get sticking fires. 

 

You would get a similar situation with 2 Iowas. This isn't about excessive frontal armour. 

 

 

I notice alot of russian bbs do this though, Vlads, Lenins, Kremls they all bow tank coz side armour is weak and frontal armour is strong.

 

You wont see two iowas doing this though as although they have weak side armour, their frontal armour is nothing to sing home about at least those ships move around.

 

My tactic now for bow on russkis is just to go around them and hit them in the side if the situation allows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[ROT8]
[ROT8]
Beta Tester
1,509 posts
10,005 battles

fire is your friend in this situation and anyone who has got to high tiers and don't realise you have 2 shell types needs setting on fire themselves :cap_rambo:

  • Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[INTRO]
[INTRO]
Players
1,437 posts
16,734 battles

Had a game today with the "Vladi". Another "Vladi" chased me. I knocked out both his front turrets, then turned around and gave him the good news in the side. Tanked over 1M just from him.

  • Cool 1
  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TTTX]
[TTTX]
Players
4,608 posts
8,081 battles
1 hour ago, ___V_E_N_O_M___ said:

I notice alot of russian bbs do this though, Vlads, Lenins, Kremls they all bow tank coz side armour is weak and frontal armour is strong.

 

You wont see two iowas doing this though as although they have weak side armour, their frontal armour is nothing to sing home about at least those ships move around.

 

My tactic now for bow on russkis is just to go around them and hit them in the side if the situation allows.

in that situation, you could have replaced one or both of them with Iowas and you would have the exact same outcome. The better frontal plating only matters against Yamatos and Musashis. (well, and against cruiser HE, but that's a different topic)

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[PARAZ]
Players
2,591 posts
12,824 battles

OP is right. There is way too much bowcamping - and ships that facilitate it - in this game.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
234 posts
1,188 battles

If they don't know how to deal with that when playing tier 9, then I don't know what they're doing at that tier.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
6,766 posts
245 battles

I dont think anyone here can pull of that gulag meme as well as el2azer.

 

Might as well spam HE at it. especially with those long [edited]reloads.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[JRM]
Players
6,283 posts
24,145 battles
2 hours ago, ___V_E_N_O_M___ said:

You wont see two iowas doing this though as although they have weak side armour, their frontal armour is nothing to sing home about at least those ships move around.

They have 32mm thats all they need for bow on against anything but yamato/musashi, overmatch is a [edited], thats also why richelieu/jean bart work bow on quite well and dunk not so much

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[RONIN]
Players
1,663 posts
8,589 battles

Maybe they should redesign the ru bbs then so that their sides are not as vulnerable as they are now. That would encourage more open water fighting...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TTTX]
[TTTX]
Players
4,608 posts
8,081 battles
11 minutes ago, ___V_E_N_O_M___ said:

Maybe they should redesign the ru bbs then so that their sides are not as vulnerable as they are now. That would encourage more open water fighting...

yeah right because even more idiot-proof BBs is exactly what this game needs :Smile_teethhappy:

  • Cool 3
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[4_0_4]
Players
7,547 posts
13,682 battles
12 minutes ago, ___V_E_N_O_M___ said:

Maybe they should redesign the ru bbs then so that their sides are not as vulnerable as they are now. That would encourage more open water fighting...

 

But then they would need a nerf to their accuracy.

Don't make the same mistake as with the US-BBs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[RONIN]
Players
1,663 posts
8,589 battles

Ok lets look at this in detail, so before the RU BBs the only real capable bow tanking ships were the Yamato Class with their 460mm guns capable of overmatching 32mm plates. The Yamato broadside is particularly susceptible to Citadel Penetrations with certain weak spots under the fore and aft turrets. Thus Bow tanking play is encouraged.

 

Regardless of these weak spots, Yamato has no side plates to protect these areas, only 32mm:

 

image.thumb.png.17f8bcfbab2c67842126341e2769e63c.png

 

image.thumb.png.11dc592ca1822c610cfcb7911e6af8b9.png

 

 

Now looking at the RU BBs, take the Kremlin it has nearly the same armour scheme except it has additional side plating below the fore turrets where the Yamato class has only 32mm plating. Dont forget the Yamato has an extended citadel end where as the Kremlin has a flat-ended citadel.

 

image.thumb.png.99b286fdbc9ff07f06455231faa2da24.png

image.thumb.png.b919b7c1da62626af08dd849fac5054b.png

 

These designs are built to encourage bow tanking play and not open water maneuvers, as is the case with US / UK / French and German BBs.

 

Thus people become lazy and camp in one spot spamming shells from their front turrets. Its really sad and pathetic actually. Funny thing is Kremlins guns cant overmatch 32mm thus why make a knock off version of a Yamato for the Russians if it cant do the same job. The whole concept is flawed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
470 posts
8,434 battles
36 minutes ago, Tyrendian89 said:

yeah right because even more idiot-proof BBs is exactly what this game needs :Smile_teethhappy:

make them be able to launch aircraft with torps, bombs and rockets and they'd be perfect

  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
513 posts
5,039 battles
4 hours ago, Miragetank90 said:

Should have switched to HE. Even with their funny dmg con, they would get sticking fires. 

 

You would get a similar situation with 2 Iowas. This isn't about excessive frontal armour. 

 

 

Except the fact that Iowa has concave bow sides, the meme status of which is only surpassed by the Yamato, but that is obviously besides the point as the ships in the example don't suffer from that, although I thought it worth pointing out as I was scarred irreparably by the Iowa grind and can't pass up any opportunity to highlight how much it was the absolute lowlight of the grind, after the NY.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[RONIN]
Players
1,663 posts
8,589 battles
31 minutes ago, ___V_E_N_O_M___ said:

Ok lets look at this in detail, so before the RU BBs the only real capable bow tanking ships were the Yamato Class with their 460mm guns capable of overmatching 32mm plates. The Yamato broadside is particularly susceptible to Citadel Penetrations with certain weak spots under the fore and aft turrets. Thus Bow tanking play is encouraged.

 

Regardless of these weak spots, Yamato has no side plates to protect these areas, only 32mm:

 

image.thumb.png.17f8bcfbab2c67842126341e2769e63c.png

 

image.thumb.png.11dc592ca1822c610cfcb7911e6af8b9.png

 

 

Now looking at the RU BBs, take the Kremlin it has nearly the same armour scheme except it has additional side plating below the fore turrets where the Yamato class has only 32mm plating. Dont forget the Yamato has an extended citadel end where as the Kremlin has a flat-ended citadel.

 

image.thumb.png.99b286fdbc9ff07f06455231faa2da24.png

image.thumb.png.b919b7c1da62626af08dd849fac5054b.png

 

These designs are built to encourage bow tanking play and not open water maneuvers, as is the case with US / UK / French and German BBs.

 

Thus people become lazy and camp in one spot spamming shells from their front turrets. Its really sad and pathetic actually. Funny thing is Kremlins guns cant overmatch 32mm thus why make a knock off version of a Yamato for the Russians if it cant do the same job. The whole concept is flawed.

updated

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BLITZ]
Players
2,819 posts
10,947 battles
2 minutes ago, ___V_E_N_O_M___ said:

Ok lets look at this in detail, so before the RU BBs the only real capable bow tanking ships were the Yamato Class

How does overmatching other 32 mm plating make you yourself a good bow tanker? :cap_hmm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[RONIN]
Players
1,663 posts
8,589 battles
1 hour ago, Tyrendian89 said:

yeah right because even more idiot-proof BBs is exactly what this game needs :Smile_teethhappy:

Id rather open water ships than russian wannabe yamatos, give the RU BBs the same design scheme as American BBs. So they will not bowtank but instead head out into open water.

 

A bowtank design inspires idiotic gameplay, because all you have to do is sit there and shoot forward knowing you are invulnerable to the front.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[RONIN]
Players
1,663 posts
8,589 battles
2 minutes ago, B0Tato said:

How does overmatching other 32 mm plating make you yourself a good bow tanker? :cap_hmm:

Because it allows you to overmatch "any" battleship bowtanking you, allowing you to do real damage. Russian BBs cannot overmatch 32mm armour thus their bow tanking armour scheme is pointless.

 

We dont need more campy play, we have enough of that with DM and Stalingrads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BLITZ]
Players
2,819 posts
10,947 battles
34 minutes ago, ___V_E_N_O_M___ said:

Because it allows you to overmatch "any" battleship bowtanking you, allowing you to do real damage. Russian BBs cannot overmatch 32mm armour thus their bow tanking armour scheme is pointless.

 

We dont need more campy play, we have enough of that with DM and Stalingrads.

Didn't know bow tanking has nothing to do with tanking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
1,110 posts
4,303 battles

Seriously you want to just kill a Battleship from all angles? Why not just make a box and make the whole thing a citadel for those kiddies who can not aim or use their brain cells to work out how to counter the enemy. Geez we must panda to those who just want to click  and kill rather then actually aim.

 

Be glad they nerfed bows from 50mm on Yamato back in the early days when you have to use you brain to out flank the other battleship and hit his sides.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[RONIN]
Players
1,663 posts
8,589 battles
1 hour ago, B0Tato said:

Didn't know bow tanking has nothing to do with tanking.

Wtfrak are you talking about :S

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×