Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
GraySlayer

How to Play Sinop

4 comments in this topic

Players
542 posts
3,067 battles

Hi Guys

Can someone give me some tips on playing Sinop please. Just got her and I'm, well terrible really. Maybe I should just stick with DDs lol

Weekend Tester
804 posts
9,025 battles
33 minutes ago, GraySlayer said:

Hi Guys

Can someone give me some tips on playing Sinop please. Just got her and I'm, well terrible really. Maybe I should just stick with DDs lol

The ship dies very quickly if it shows any broadside at all.

I've had good results with Sinop, but don't claim to be anything other than an average player - so here is my technique but with caveat emptor:

I generally sail away from the spawn directly east or west to the area where I want to fight. Sailing perpendicular to the enemy direction keeps you unspotted whilst you are vulnerable - especially when bottom tier vs top T9 BBs that can shoot you from their spawn.

At the fight location, e.g. a flank, I turn in, push forward, and point the ship directly towards the enemy (or directly towards the enemy with the best AP). I don't angle, and I don't use the rear turret (except for opportunity secondary shots at targets away from the main fight). I try not to get any closer to the enemy than mid gun range; if they start pushing and have the advantage of numbers, i just reverse away. Whilst reversing, I turn the ship slowly so that it remains facing the main enemy threat. Sadly, unless you have an island to turn behind, you cannot risk trying to turn and kite away. If you let multiple enemies get too close, then eventually one will be able to shoot your angled flank.

On many maps, its often best to position alongside an island so that you can concentrate on one or two enemies, whilst your ship's sides are shielded from fire. (Yes, yet another ship line that benefits from island-hugging....)

Thereafter, its a matter of tanking shots (Sinop is very good at this head-on) and chipping away at the enemy. Usually enemy BBs will come directly towards you, trying to tank your shots. From time to time, supporting enemy DDs or cruisers will try to flank - so shoot them until dead or deterred, and then go back to chipping away at the BBs. You have to endure HE spam and CV attacks, as its BB AP that will quickly kill you if you show your sides.

When the flank is secure and/or the enemy team is substantially reduced, then is the time to go full speed and start playing dynamically. Even at this stage you still have to protect your broadsides!

I've had multiple games where I've more or less held a flank alone using this technique, and then gone on to win with decent damage scores. Its a somewhat boring playstyle, but then thats how WG have developed the game and optimised the soviet BBs....

Thats just my playstyle, and it seems to work for me with Sinop. Lots of people may have other ideas or disagree with certain elements; its even possible that the game doesn't play the same way for everyone.

• Cool 1

Players
542 posts
3,067 battles

That's excellent and thanks very much for taking the time to write that.

I now can see where I have gone wrong. I play it like a DD and push in aggressively and then get out of position, get flanked and deleted. I shall implement what you have written and give it a whirl later tonight.

Players
1,133 posts
7,085 battles
3 minutes ago, GraySlayer said:

That's excellent and thanks very much for taking the time to write that.

I now can see where I have gone wrong. I play it like a DD and push in aggressively and then get out of position, get flanked and deleted. I shall implement what you have written and give it a whirl later tonight.

Yep, Sinop rewards nice positionning and map awareness, and is a good bow-tanking ship.

Amazing armor if you don't show your broadside. Take advantage of it!

Good luck.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this