You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
achim1968

Viewing Range / Spotting Range

11 comments in this topic

[_KAP_]
Players
51 posts
14,327 battles

Hi,

where can I find this value for a ships? I havn't found it in port, nor in wiki, nor on wowsft.

Has anyone a clue?

Best regards

Achim

Players
4,001 posts

I don't want to sound offensive but, ... you are asking this after almost 9k battles? I must be missing something in your question ... because you are apparently a very good player.

Every ship has its concealment values in port - below the captain image. What do you mean by viewing range?

The moment you enter any ship detection radius you spot them.

[CATS]
Players
26,092 posts
14,090 battles

He means the distance your ship can look.

A Yamato shooting from 25km might be visible, but cannot be seen by all ships, since their viewing range is shorter.

Another value is view range (sometimes called spotting range), which also doubles as a ship's render/targeting range. This is the range inside which other ships might be detected or spotted. It is indicated visually by the outer limit of the grey cone on the player's minimap in battle. No ship outside of this range can be detected by the player. Allied ships and enemy ships spotted by others that are outside of view range are not drawn on the main screen but are displayed on the minimap as outlined icons.

In general, the taller the ship the larger its view range. Battleships with their tall masts have very long view ranges (in excess of 20 km) while destroyers typically have the shortest view ranges. Aircraft carriers have unlimited view range. Aircraft (both catapult launched and carrier based) have a view range of 11 km.

Generally, view range has little impact on ship to ship detection because it is usually higher than the detectability range of the ships being spotted. The only time view range limits ship to ship detection is when the spotting ship has a lower view range than the target's detectability range, such as a destroyer attempting to spot a battleship. In these cases, the target is spotted not at its detectability range but when it enters the view range of the spotting ship.

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Detection#View_range

• Cool 1

[NIKE]
Beta Tester
3,394 posts
7,276 battles
1 minute ago, nambr9 said:

I don't want to sound offensive but, ... you are asking this after almost 9k battles? I must be missing something in your question ...

Every ship has its concealment values in port - below the captain image. What do you mean by viewing range?

The moment you enter any ship detection radius you spot them.

I imagine he means the render range - the range at which detected ships become visible, since this is different for each ship, can be increased by equipment and is represented on the minimap by the "cone".

As far as I know its not shown in game, although may be available through the site that data mines ship characteristics (3dmodels?).

Generally though the render range is roughly a bit longer than your furthest weapon range

• Cool 1

Players
4,001 posts

He means this then:

View range

320px-Cone_indicating_render_and_view_ra
magnify-clip.png
Note that only the allied battleship is rendered while the other two ships outside the player's view range are not rendered

Another value is view range (sometimes called spotting range), which also doubles as a ship's render/targeting range. This is the range inside which other ships might be detected or spotted. It is indicated visually by the outer limit of the grey cone on the player's minimap in battle. No ship outside of this range can be detected by the player. Allied ships and enemy ships spotted by others that are outside of view range are not drawn on the main screen but are displayed on the minimap as outlined icons.

In general, the taller the ship the larger its view range. Battleships with their tall masts have very long view ranges (in excess of 20 km) while destroyers typically have the shortest view ranges. Aircraft carriers have unlimited view range. Aircraft (both catapult launched and carrier based) have a view range of 11 km.

Generally, view range has little impact on ship to ship detection because it is usually higher than the detectability range of the ships being spotted. The only time view range limits ship to ship detection is when the spotting ship has a lower view range than the target's detectability range, such as a destroyer attempting to spot a battleship. In these cases, the target is spotted not at its detectability range but when it enters the view range of the spotting ship.

Players
4,001 posts
4 minutes ago, achim1968 said:

Right. View range. So no need to insult me, right?

I didn't. I don't insult people for fun. Sorry if you got the impression.

As for the view ranges (grey cone) I don't think I ever seen any numbers / stats.

@MrConway @Tuccy ... are you guys aware where this information is accessible (for each ship) ?

[_KAP_]
Players
51 posts
14,327 battles

Right. I wonder, if there are BBs with extraordinary range, which exceeds visibility of a target (which of course has to be detected by someone else). That could explain a kind of stealth firing...

[CATS]
Players
26,092 posts
14,090 battles
7 minutes ago, achim1968 said:

Right. I wonder, if there are BBs with extraordinary range, which exceeds visibility of a target (which of course has to be detected by someone else). That could explain a kind of stealth firing...

DD can be stealth fired at by some high Tier BB at long range when sombody else spots for the BB.

Not that this is much of a threat...

[BOBS2]
[BOBS2]
Players
529 posts
17,765 battles

I can't see it anywhere in port, but if you press H while in-game the spotting range is one of the values listed.

Beta Tester
725 posts
11,958 battles

Stealth firing by BBs was already discussed and is a thing.

Asashio has 20 km torp range and view range of 16 km, so not all ships have higher view range than their weapon range.

I am sure this values are somewhere given (as mentioned before in game on "H" screen, but was thinking somewhere else too).