You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.

58 comments in this topic

Players
68 posts
4,252 battles

Hey all, 

A slight complaint thread here, but isn't it about time to have a look at the chat reporting system. I've come back to the game after 24hrs to find I'm banned from sending in-game chat messages. I logged out yesterday with the ability to talk and 7 karma to log in today with 5 karma and the block in place. This isn't the first time this happened; now I'll admit I get salty with really bad players on my team who don't play the objectives or in rare cases get team killed by someone. However, I'm not as bad as those who threaten, accuse of having mental health issues or just downright aggressive abuse. That I can shrug off. 

I'm not expecting sympathy but as a whole the system needs to be taking away from the automated side and actually be moderated, have someone review the reports if a sufficient number are submitted, yes I know this is unlikely to happen but it's a suggestion. Take the screenshot from the game I've just had, the S.Soyus went full broadside at 11km from my Kremlin, took a triple citadel and got dev striked. He complained in chat that I was a cheater, and lo and behold I got reported. It's fairly obvious going full broadside in anything these days is a bad idea but he didnt seem to understand A) RNG and B) juicy citadel.

Anyway, rant over with. I'm sure I'm not the only one with issues and getting reported for being either somewhat lucky or good in this game. 

shot-19.06.04_15.18.23-0768.jpg

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2

Beta Tester
1,649 posts
8,138 battles

I heard several people having the same problem of getting reported and chatbanned for playing too good or getting nonsense reports.

I somehow never had that problem at all even though I can be quite vocal/toxic if a speshul player rubs me the wrong way.

Maybe I am just not playing consistently good/bad enough?

Yet I also have over 110 Karma. :cap_hmm:

I heard the best way to avoid this is not talking in chat at all, especially if there is a vocal player in chat. The game will ignore reports for chatbehaviour if you didn't actualy write anything.

• Cool 2

[CATS]
Players
26,203 posts
14,119 battles
51 minutes ago, Invictus_Antagonistes said:

... now I'll admit I get salty with really bad players on my team who don't play the objectives or in rare cases get team killed by someone. ....

And here is your problem. Working as intended.

• Cool 1

Players
68 posts
4,252 battles
1 minute ago, ColonelPete said:

And here is your problem. Working as intended.

If someone team kills me or doesnt play the objectives then a little salt never hurt anyone. It's not working, it's easily abused by anyone.

• Bad 1

[HOO]
Players
1,884 posts
3,701 battles

If you don't want to get a chat ban, simply don't use chat in game, or throw salt.

• Cool 2

[CATS]
Players
26,203 posts
14,119 battles
1 minute ago, Invictus_Antagonistes said:

If someone team kills me or doesnt play the objectives then a little salt never hurt anyone. It's not working, it's easily abused by anyone.

You can do what you want, but actions have consequences.

Considering the complaints on the forum, the ratio of innocently punished seems very low...

• Cool 1

Players
68 posts
4,252 battles
3 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

You can do what you want, but actions have consequences.

Considering the complaints on the forum, the ratio of innocently punished seems very low...

As I said I have called out the stupid in the past, but like others have said it's time to walk away from the chat function. Which in itself is a shame as decent communication is needed for effective teamwork. We can disagree on the system and the validity of if it works or not, that's the perks of an adult discussion. For now I'll just have my fun in my Kremlin and enjoy the game as best I can. 

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Players
551 posts
21,096 battles

Sounds a bit like Flamu, who insults everyone all the time and mass reports players because he didn't like their play style, but if he gets a chat ban, he instantly calls WG because "abuse".

I'm playing WoWs since open beta and i've never got a chat ban, so maybe you should re-evaluate your own behavior?

• Cool 10

Players
68 posts
4,252 battles
11 minutes ago, _DemonGuard_ said:

Sounds a bit like Flamu, who insults everyone all the time and mass reports players because he didn't like their play style, but if he gets a chat ban, he instantly calls WG because "abuse".

I'm playing WoWs since open beta and i've never got a chat ban, so maybe you should re-evaluate your own behavior?

Flamu isn't that bad, I've played him many times and he comes across, at least to me, nice and polite. If I have to ignore peoples own stupidity what does that say? People need to be taught what they are doing wrong, and I could potentially be a bit more diplomatic about it but at tier X people should know the game mechanics by now.

As for your point about abuse, I'm willing to bet I can not chat in the game for weeks and yet I'll still get reported, mostly from just getting lucky. That is an abuse of the reporting system, players should not have to be reported for just being good (yes I'm aware we're not off chat bans. Anyway, I've said my little piece it's back to the game for me. 

• Funny 1

[TTTX]
1,560 posts
14,548 battles
42 minutes ago, Invictus_Antagonistes said:

[...]now I'll admit I get salty with really bad players on my team who don't play the objectives or in rare cases get team killed by someone. [...]

There's your problem. The chat ban system, while not perfect, doesn't randomly hand out chat bans. Pretty much everyone who gets chat banned deserved it with very few exceptions.

I only got chat banned once (even though I have like 700 karma), in two years of playing this game, and I totally deserved it, no question about it.

However, if you do feel like you were wrongly punished, submit a ticket to customer support. But again, only if you really think that you didn't say anything offensive.

• Cool 1

Players
68 posts
4,252 battles
2 minutes ago, _Teob_ said:

There's your problem. The chat ban system, while not perfect, doesn't randomly hand out chat bans. Pretty much everyone who gets chat banned deserved it with very few exceptions.

I only got chat banned once (even though I have like 700 karma), in two years of playing this game, and I totally deserved it, no question about it.

However, if you do feel like you were wrongly punished, submit a ticket to customer support. But again, only if you really think that you didn't say anything offensive.

I'm fairly certain I know what caused this (no proof it was this player however) and I've the replay from the last ranked match. I'll take the ticket option under advisement.

Thanks for the discussion people.

Beta Tester
1,649 posts
8,138 battles

Flamu isn't that bad, I've played him many times and he comes across, at least to me, nice and polite.

He can be rather vocal like anyone gets triggered sometimes. He has a kind of arogant and sassy attitude though and that is what gets some people really pissed of.

If I have to ignore peoples own stupidity what does that say? People need to be taught what they are doing wrong, and I could potentially be a bit more diplomatic about it but at tier X people should know the game mechanics by now.

People that managed to stay imune to learning by mistakes usualy are also the kind that don't react that well and nicely to advise however genuine it may be. It's the typical I know it all achretype that is prone to that behaviour.

As for your point about abuse, I'm willing to bet I can not chat in the game for weeks and yet I'll still get reported, mostly from just getting lucky. That is an abuse of the reporting system, players should not have to be reported for just being good (yes I'm aware we're not off chat bans. Anyway, I've said my little piece it's back to the game for me. 

Like I said you can't get reported if you stay silent in chat. Well you can but those are voided by the automated mechanic. In a game as large as this there have to be an automated system for these kind of things because you can't pay that many people that you would need to check all the reports. Just imagine what kind of reports we would talk about if the exact kind of players you are trying to educate are going to file a report.

Yes the system can be abused by a large group of people but it is at a tolerable minimum. Even if it's not there is still the support to sort out the "special" cases.

• Cool 2

[CATS]
Players
26,203 posts
14,119 battles
11 minutes ago, Invictus_Antagonistes said:

....and I could potentially be a bit more diplomatic about it ...

That would be nice. That is what I do. Result? Over 10.000 games and no chat ban, despite making some players extremly salty with my remarks...

8 minutes ago, Invictus_Antagonistes said:

I'm fairly certain I know what caused this (no proof it was this player however) and I've the replay from the last ranked match. I'll take the ticket option under advisement.

Thanks for the discussion people.

No SINGLE player can get you chat banned. The reports accumulate. When you reach a certain threshhold during a certain time, the system gives you a ban.

• Cool 1

[MORIA]
Players
7,313 posts
36,044 battles
1 hour ago, Miessa3 said:

I heard several people having the same problem of getting reported and chatbanned for playing too good or getting nonsense reports.

I somehow never had that problem at all even though I can be quite vocal/toxic if a speshul player rubs me the wrong way.

Maybe I am just not playing consistently good/bad enough?

Yet I also have over 110 Karma. :cap_hmm:

I heard the best way to avoid this is not talking in chat at all, especially if there is a vocal player in chat. The game will ignore reports for chatbehaviour if you didn't actualy write anything.

I lost 30 karma in one week . Playing good in Harugumo , Conqueror, Kidd (reported by CV that also was salty in chat) . Dozens of non sense reports. Even though I get compliments from time to time. Chatban even not saying bad words . Once DM asked for smoke f8 key and I said it's on cooldown. Got chatbanned cause this DM was in 3 player div. Cmon. This so annoying. Sometimes I'm afraid to say something so basic that I will get a chatban and I won't be able to say anything in clan chat in port! So annoying...

• Bad 1

[_FK_]
Beta Tester
609 posts
14,041 battles

The chat ban system does need work, since it seems to come into place automatically after certain amount of reports and that could include any type of report (atleast in my experience), reported for killing someone = chat ban, telling your bb's to go a certain why (they dont agree with) = chat ban. Say nothing but playing well = chat banned.

Hell i had someone insulting me in his shima because i dodged his torps, as apparently that makes me a cheat for predicting i was torped (he made it obvious, i was detected for starters and saw nothing and he smoked even though he wasnt spotted anyway) i even explained to the guy in this case how, talking about detection ranges the fact he could be the only one in spotting range as nothing else could spotted., The entire system just seems flawed, i doesnt seem to matter what you are reported for hell you could have games of saying absolutely nothing and still get banned because people are sad and immature and cant handle being out played or something, i dont know. 

Just seems like a very flawed broken system. that doesnt work as intended. Also its all well and good saying nothing but this is a team game, i know 90% of games people dont seem to understand that concept but that is what it is a team game. 

• Cool 2

[CATS]
Players
26,203 posts
14,119 battles
Just now, Shadeshot said:

The chat ban system does need work, since it seems to come into place automatically after certain amount of reports and that could include any type of report (atleast in my experience), reported for killing someone = chat ban, telling your bb's to go a certain why (they dont agree with) = chat ban. 

Hell i had someone insulting me in his shima because i dodged his torps, as apparently that makes me a cheat for predicting i was torped (he made it obvious, i was detected for starters and saw nothing and he smoked even though he wasnt sported anyway), The entire system just seems flawed, i doesnt seem to matter what you are reported for hell you could have games or saying absolutely nothing and still get banned because people are sad immature hateful babies or something i dont know.

Not all reports count, only the the ones chat related. And when you get THAT many reports, there is a very high chance you did something wrong.

The number of false positives is very low.

• Cool 2

[_FK_]
Beta Tester
609 posts
14,041 battles
12 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

Not all reports count, only the the ones chat related. And when you get THAT many reports, there is a very high chance you did something wrong.

The number of false positives is very low.

That may be the case but honestly in my experience as a long term player and seeing all sorts the system seems atleast in my opinion mostly flawed and very 1 sided. 

For example the shima game i mentioned, i was in a worc, i was spotted, considering my postion in that said game, the only ship that could spot me was a DD,  i couldnt see anyone else in my detection range. This dd then smoked (i dont know why as he wasnt spotted by anyone at all) he torped me, i radared him, i killed him the next hes calling me a cheat because i dodged his torpedos. All i said to the guy was that you can predict torps and then explained that he could be the only ship that could be providing any spotting of me and that his smoke made it more obvious, so predicting his torpedoes was obvious. As this guy was in a division of 3, i got reported i get chat banned for it? If the system is working as intended that doesnt seem justyfied as i was simply explaining the facts to the guy, but because he was salty about it he just kept on insulting me. He may have been banned awell i have no idea as that isnt something you ever know as a player but still. I mean sorry but that seems like a pretty flawed system to me.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[CROTZ]
Beta Tester
1,196 posts
8,163 battles

CV players can receive a few thousand in-game reports per year & thousands of compliments.

If the in-game chat is never used then nothing happens with those loads of received in-game reports.

For CV players it can be enough to write one character into the in-game chat, in view of possible thousands of reports the chat auto ban can immediately kick in.

I never use the in-game reporting system or random player chat, IMHO it's time wasting to participate in the negative vibes reporting mini-game.

Happy WoWs everyone, bammmmmm !

:cat_paw:

• Cool 2

[BHSFL]
Players
3,429 posts

Never had any chat ban ingame.....but i do have 0 karma, and that would have been -1000 or more would 0 not be the bottom. All CV related.

I am not a stat shamer, or elitists/potentate demanding other players do my will and whatnot so i would not know why i would get a chat ban. And i never use the "C" word for mere annoyances in a game....

Beta Tester
713 posts
7 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

Never had any chat ban ingame.....but i do have 0 karma, and that would have been -1000 or more would 0 not be the bottom. All CV related.

I am not a stat shamer, or elitists/potentate demanding other players do my will and whatnot so i would not know why i would get a chat ban. And i never use the "C" word for mere annoyances in a game....

yes, indeed, you are cv unicum, all enemy always report you for cheating and own team for kill stealing ... poor you

wg should remove floor from karma, id like to explore the depths of reports

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[MDIV]
[MDIV]
Beta Tester
220 posts
12,343 battles

I get chatbanned every once in a while. And I am fine with it. I soak up positive Karma for good gameplay and lose it by complaints. Venting in chat will give you negative Karma of course, if people still have points left. But it never gets lower than zero! lul
The karmasystem is highly flawed. Your name just needs to be seen in chat and if some fool feels like to punish you for his frustration he does. It does not matter if you have a "good" reason or not. Even some "good" hints and advices are punished, if people feel like it.
Some people suggest here not to write in chat at all. Well done! Even less communication in an already partly toxic playerbase. No tactical communications as well. Well done!

People do not act rational using the karma system, they highly act with either strong positive or negative feelings. Surprise, surprise, what was supposed to help the community is just a huge farce. @Invictus_Antagonistes In fact you can completly ignore the karma system. Some "feel" rewarded. That is fine. For me it is lunatic. Karmasystem rather is a mirror of popularity instead of reflecting your performance or behaviour.
Your best chances getting positive karma is by either clanmates and competetion community, who know you, or you have some fame in the twitch community.

• Cool 1

[WONLY]
Players
421 posts
14,632 battles

I'm chatbanned most of the time. Mostly thanks to some special german triple BB divs sailing from C to A at the start of the game. Can't help it, i'm just getting triggered by this. 

• Funny 1

[S-M-V]
Players
80 posts
8,564 battles

shot-19_06.12_19_50.36-0895.thumb.jpg.b296a1ae52e2ec39df46f6bd95c843b3.jpg

Hello :)

Yup, as you mentioned yourselves, today i logged in, and to find myselves to this. Clearly, you can see left above that I do have indeed 11 karma points, but still got chat banned.

We played ranked battle, we lost of course. This guy, whose name i wont mention that i dont get in more problems, BUT I WILL POST HIS STATS, yelled that we are morons, that we should learn to play, how do we even play that game ect. ect. All in all he went alone on one side, died in first 3 minutes. Every time if somebody else doesnt, I write where team should go, and 90% of times, we all go on that side.

When i checked his stats, I asked him, how do you even have decency to speak to us like that, because mate, you are bad! I posted him his stats and said that You litteraly have bad stats so you suck (dont get me wrong, i aint also perfect player but still I at least have something in my head). He of course didnt respond, minute has passed again.. Morons, how do you play, second time i asked him WHERE IS YOUR DECENCY, LOOK AT YOUR STATS, noup, no respond. THIRD TIME HE YELLS MORONS ECT ECT.. And third time i asked him where is your decency.. nothing.....

Battle ended, we lost, added him to friends, TRUE, i 100% named him moron, again told him that he sucks, wrote his stats, probably called him c**t and told him that he should go on youtube to watch Flamu, Flambass even Jingles videos so that he could learn something.. that was day before yesterday, I didnt play last night and today I came to this little surprise.

I 100% know that he probably screenshoted what i told him, and sended wg an report, but they do what? Just tell us that we have chat ban..

Where is proof about why did I get it (how many times do you do something, get banned and you dont even know what you did), who reported me, what did i do, where is screenshot of my acusations? Unfortunatly replay of that battle is already overwritten in my replays. And all in all I am bit disapointed. But ok... nevermind.. oh btw his stats.. 283 battles in ranked and 44% wr, and he is calling us morons.. ffs

64510086_834733696910334_1794007620495867904_n.png

62390805_2295908593966216_105775728716414976_n.png

• Boring 1

[FLYD]
Players
1,371 posts
13,072 battles
On 6/4/2019 at 5:25 PM, Fat_Maniac said:

If you don't want to get a chat ban, simply don't use chat in game, or throw salt.

Throwing Salt gets you chat banned to :P

It got worse with ranked, collecting reports en masse and i can't even talk *shrug*