Sign in to follow this  
Olmlet

need help with a secondary build

5 comments in this topic

[NED]
Players
47 posts
5,444 battles

im trying to make a bismarck secondary build but i really dont know what commander skills i should pick first, right now ive got a 10pnt commander with PT/PM/AR/SI and 3 skill points left to use. should i go for AFT or MFCSA first? or just reset and get total different talents completly?

Players
606 posts

The 'going full ham lulz' secondary build I'm working on is (in order) PT>AR>BFT>AFT>MFSCA>SI>PM>EL. IMHO when looking at sec builds (note i have no real experience yet!) range is more important than accuracy. You might want to switch around and take SI sooner but that's just a preference and depends a lot on how long you expect to be able to stay alive:Smile_trollface:.

edit: FWIW, I'm grinding the line with this captain (at Bayern) and the lack of EM is painful at lower tiers but the turret traverse picks up at T7/8 and I don't want to re-spec so I'm living without it!!

[SM0KE]
Players
5,411 posts
13,277 battles
1 hour ago, Malissa1994 said:

im trying to make a bismarck secondary build but i really dont know what commander skills i should pick first, right now ive got a 10pnt commander with PT/PM/AR/SI and 3 skill points left to use. should i go for AFT or MFCSA first? or just reset and get total different talents completly?

Before getting into specifics, have a look at Ship Comrade - I find it quite useful for playing with possible captain builds: http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc

I might also bear in mind that, whilst gloriously funny at times, secondary builds are often sub-optimal. That said, my T7-8 KM captains are fairly heavily orientated towards secondaries, albeit not entirely.

FWIW my Bismarck captain is currently at 17 points, and is built like this (1 point unassigned):

image.thumb.png.df9427ef6085c75684b80ee6f065ca29.png

When I get to 19 points, the final skill will be SI. This build is intended to be a compromise between a 'full manly' build, and something sensible. I should emphasise that this build is clearly not optimal, if not bordering on idiotic in some respects. For a start, I'm down a healing potion from the lack of SI, and clearly haven't picked CE (since it went to 10%, I felt the benefit was less clear-cut).

The problem with a lot of the more 'manly' builds (and quite a few other 'speciality' builds come to that) is that they tend to work better with high point captains. To illustrate what I mean, I'm working on a couple of fairly manly French BB captains; this is a 10-point starting position of one of them:

image.thumb.png.91f5edb4f680baa5ae5f82316591f8fc.png

There are several problems with this e.g. no EM yet, which makes getting turrets on target in relatively close quarters harder; no FP, so I'm gonna burn against HE; no SI, so short a heal. Also, not entirely sure what I was thinking with PT (that'll need fixing)...!

A more sensible first ten points would be PM, AR/EM (pick one), SI, and FP; the trouble with that is that it isn't fun yet, but rather a fairly pragmatic build, not to mention that not having BFT yet (and AFT, a bit) makes you more vulnerable to aircraft (which is partly why my initial ten points goes BFT/AFT, rather than something more sensible).

What I might suggest doing is go with a sensible build to start with (first ten points or so), and then build out into secondaries after that. It's not the most exciting approach, but you'll get less hammered whilst you're developing your captain. Also, if you have Scharnhorst available, the T7 Op (Narai?) is a good way to grind your Bismarck captain in a reasonably benign environment.

Bear in mind as well, that we get occasional free re-specs for captains; when one of those is in action, take full advantage and try as many builds as you have time for.

Finally, if you have availability, there is something to be said for having two captains, if Bismarck turns out to be a keeper: one very manly one for fun, and one more optimal one for when winning is more important...

Players
8,061 posts
8,886 battles

PT, AR, BoS, ManSec, AFT, SI, EM. Alternatively, replace SI and EM with CE or FP and extra catapult fighter (if you use catapult fighter, otherwise choose PM). If you plan on using the captain later on FdG or GK, put last 5 points into IFHE and extra plane/PM.

9 minutes ago, Rusty_9 said:

IMHO when looking at sec builds (note i have no real experience yet!) range is more important than accuracy. 

No, it's not. Range is just what is more often the limiting factor, but if you would take a Yamato and spec it for secondaries, would you rather miss most shots at 10.6 km or be accurate at 8.8 km? The nerf to AFT no longer buffing AA range is what makes it less useful these days than Manual Secondaries in a build.

Also, below T7 you are right, given the accuracy buff is too small to be competitive.

4 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

When I get to 19 points, the final skill will be SI. This build is intended to be a compromise between a 'full manly' build, and something sensible. I should emphasise that this build is clearly not optimal, if not bordering on idiotic in some respects. For a start, I'm down a healing potion from the lack of SI, and clearly haven't picked CE (since it went to 10%, I felt the benefit was less clear-cut).

If you go for hybrid build, what exactly is more useful? Landing double the amount of shots because your gunners actually know how to do basic aiming or 10% less reload, so 11% more shots? Similarly, if given the choice between BoS and FP, BoS costs less and is usually about as useful. When comparing BoS with SI on a ship like Bismarck that burns more than it takes raw pens, BoS saves you damage up front, SI gives you another heal if you live long enough to use 4 (effectively) already.

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
5,411 posts
13,277 battles
2 minutes ago, Cagliostro_chan said:

BoS costs less and is usually about as useful

You're probably right; the reason I tend to err towards FP is that (if I understand how it works correctly) your opponent has to be a better shot to fully light you up - *most* players tend to shoot roughly centre mass, and FP turns your middle two locations into just one, making getting maximum fires a bit harder.

I mitigate the lack of BoS with signals, although that isn't the same exactly.

Sign in to follow this