You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
black_falcon120

How do i deal with fighters?

19 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
1,146 posts
3,060 battles

Recently, i've been seeing far more fighter aircraft from surface ships, and it's been making it challenging to get much damage done, how do people deal with them, is it try and force everyone to use their fighters and move on?

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[BHSFL]
Players
3,477 posts

As a CV ?  Very easy....

- fly on the edge of their fighter patrol area not aggroing them

- release your fighter consumable. it will overlap enemy fighter zone 50 %

- wait outside the zone untill the fighters engage each other

- once they do : free zone again ( no matter which fighters win, they dispurse after being aggroed. Even an enemy ship shooting some of your consumable fighters is not preventing this )

This is the reason why dropping fighter consumables over (  low HP ) allies is often futile. The enemy CV will remove them in this fashion, and kill.

Beta Tester
1,146 posts
3,060 battles
5 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

As a CV ?  Very easy....that you have not seen this a 1000 times :-)

- fly on the edge of their fighter patrol area

- release you fighter consumable. it will overlap enemy fighter zone 50 %

- wait outside the zone untill the fighters engage each other

- once they do : free zone again ( no matter which fighters win, they dispurse after being aggroed. Even an enemy ship shooting some of your consumable fighters is not preventing this )

How did i not know that....

[BHSFL]
Players
3,477 posts
7 minutes ago, black_falcon120 said:

How did i not know that....

By the way : if you fly into an enemy fighter zone by accident and the fighters haven't aggroed on you yet, press "F" im immidiatly.

You then have a decent chance to have your full squadron escape, while if you tried to speed out of there you would have lost aircraft.

I once with GZ bombers flew into a zone by accident and slammed  the throttle to the metal and roared across the entire map leaving the persuing consumable fighters nowhere to be seen. But many kilometers from the point they aggroed they boom and zoomed me from nowhere......they will never give up...untill some of your aircraft are dead. Rediculously enough you cannot escape them if aggroed. It wouldn't surprise me they would strafe the CV to still kill these aircraft if they managed to land....

Beta Tester
1,146 posts
3,060 battles
29 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

By the way : if you fly into an enemy fighter zone by accident and the fighters haven't aggroed on you yet, press "F" im immidiatly.

You then have a decent chance to have your full squadron escape, while if you tried to speed out of there you would have lost aircraft.

I once with GZ bombers flew into a zone by accident and slammed  the throttle to the metal and roared across the entire map leaving the persuing consumable fighters nowhere to be seen. But many kilometers from the point they aggroed they boom and zoomed me from nowhere......they will never give up...untill some of your aircraft are dead. Rediculously enough you cannot escape them if aggroed. It wouldn't surprise me they would strafe the CV to still kill these aircraft if they managed to land....

I knew this one thankfully.  The only way of losing them is to fly over a friendly AA blob. 

Players
2,884 posts
16,300 battles

Depends on how good AA the target has and how important it is to strike it.

- if low aa, spawning your own counter-fighter can work

- if high aa, the counterfighter probably dies to aa before aggroing

- if must-strike target, shorten your squad to the minimum, slingshot in and accept the loss of 3 planes, most times it is possible to get the ordnance off (easier for TB, harder for DB)

- if not, come back 1 minute later when it expires

- sometimes it is worth it to sac your worst plane type into the fighter to clear the way for a follow up strike (eg sac 3 ijn rockets or usn TBs)  - only viable if target is close enough you cant just wait out the timer.

(typically: strike with TB, fighter is launched late, so one drop goes off then either proceed to drop from 4-5 km (outside aggro range) or hit F, come back with a rocket sacrifice and then back to the TB)

Finally if you are using TB and have heal consumable available, it is possible to heal through a lot of the fighter damage.

Players
4,016 posts

Is it possible to use fighters ad AA bait? Afaik, ship AA always priorities cv squad over fighters when both are in range. Asking just to be sure...

[PARAZ]
Players
2,591 posts
12,863 battles
7 minutes ago, nambr9 said:

Is it possible to use fighters ad AA bait? Afaik, ship AA always priorities cv squad over fighters when both are in range. Asking just to be sure...

No, but not because of the reason you mentioned.

AA doesn't prioritize anything. So you'll just waste your fighters.

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Beta Tester, Players
2,160 posts
6,503 battles
7 minutes ago, nambr9 said:

I thought it doesn't matter how many aircraft are in the AA zone.
I may be wrong though.

Players
4,016 posts
3 minutes ago, Saiyko said:

No, but not because of the reason you mentioned.

AA doesn't prioritize anything. So you'll just waste your fighters.

So AA fires at both (or more) with same intensity?

[PARAZ]
Players
2,591 posts
12,863 battles
Just now, nambr9 said:

So AA fires at both (or more) with same intensity?

As far as I understand it, yes.

• Cool 1

Players
4,016 posts
1 minute ago, Saiyko said:

As far as I understand it, yes.

Thanks for the info. Didn't know that. Makes sense tho. If it wouldn't work that way coordinated attack from 2 CVs would be broken af.

• Cool 1

[PARAZ]
Players
2,591 posts
12,863 battles
Just now, nambr9 said:

Thanks for the info. Didn't know that. Makes sense tho. If it wouldn't work that way coordinated attack from 2 CVs would be broken af.

Depends. 2 CV attack on an equal tier (not to mention lower tier) target will still be fun and and engaging for said target. Don't see a lot of combined attacks though, probably cause CVs soon tend to be in a different "rhythm" so to speak (one is attacking something while the other one is just launching, etc).

Players
4,016 posts
Just now, Saiyko said:

Depends. 2 CV attack on an equal tier (not to mention lower tier) target will still be fun and and engaging for said target. Don't see a lot of combined attacks though, probably cause CVs soon tend to be in a different "rhythm" so to speak (one is attacking something while the other one is just launching, etc).

Yeah, things get chaotic. Would work in division.

Another little trick im using with fighters.

When enemy CV tries to strike me I immediately return my squad. I then launch lets say attack planes, immediately release fighters and call the squad back. Then I do the same with lets say dive bombers. You can get 3 fighters above your CV in couple of seconds... add CV fighters... yeah a nasty surprise for the enemy CV squad.

[PARAZ]
Players
2,591 posts
12,863 battles
5 minutes ago, nambr9 said:

Yeah, things get chaotic. Would work in division.

Yea it would. @El2aZeR and me had such beautiful dreams of double CV. Alas, it couldn't be.

WG, gib now plz.

5 minutes ago, nambr9 said:

When enemy CV tries to strike me I immediately return my squad. I then launch lets say attack planes, immediately release fighters and call the squad back. Then I do the same with lets say dive bombers. You can get 3 fighters above your CV in couple of seconds... add CV fighters... yeah a nasty surprise for the enemy CV squad.

That's really not necessary. CVs have the best AA ingame. Combined with one fighter, the red CV will get one strike through, max. If he wants to keep doing that, he'll be deplaned in no time.

edit: the third module on your CV, go for AA. The extra time for rocket fighters or torp bombers is a waste.

• Funny 1

Players
4,016 posts
28 minutes ago, Saiyko said:

That's really not necessary. CVs have the best AA ingame. Combined with one fighter, the red CV will get one strike through, max. If he wants to keep doing that, he'll be deplaned in no time.

Saipan (the only CV I have) is deceptive to strikes (at least that was the info I once heard).

Sure it is an overkill .... but in case both CVs try to strike me, I can do that and shut them down (and most important get undetected asap).

Players
2,884 posts
16,300 battles
50 minutes ago, nambr9 said:

If CVs fly in the same AA aura, the flak is split. Not sure about continuous damage.

Players
4,016 posts
5 minutes ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

If CVs fly in the same AA aura, the flak is split. Not sure about continuous damage.

Hmmmm ... interesting. But not between CV squad and CV fighters consumable right?

@black_falcon120 Mate sorry for hijacking your thread ;)

Players
2,884 posts
16,300 battles
49 minutes ago, nambr9 said:

Hmmmm ... interesting. But not between CV squad and CV fighters consumable right?

not sure. It wasn't covered in the article on aa that I read. Most of the time I drop fighters in aa rwnge of ships, they seem to die to continuous aa dmg but I didn't test it.

also splitting the flak would require extreme timing since if one CV is in the mid aura while the other is in the outer aura, they both take 100% of the flak in that zone.