You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Inappropriate_noob

AA cover....

23 comments in this topic

Players
3,220 posts

When playing the CV, pick any for your choice, and people ask for AA support, does that mean you drop a fighter squad over them or are they asking nearby ships to help out?

Dumbest of the dumb questions I know but last night I was trying and well tbh failing to support a DD in ranked and got roundly flamed for it, any helpful advice would be welcome.

Many thanks.

[XTREM]
Players
3,634 posts
10,854 battles

I explained to you already how to deal with those people.

Just say yes in chat and continue doing your thing.

Fighters are mostly useless anyways outside of ranked so just ignore the requests

• Funny 1

[BPC]
Players
124 posts
5,148 battles

If your planes are already out and are in say the west and the dd is in the far east I'd say it's not yours to give aa support unless the dd told you it's intentions. If you fly close by then it would be good to pop up a fighter imo

Just don't make massive u turns around the whole map. 

Players
3,130 posts
10,584 battles
22 minutes ago, NoobySkooby said:

When playing the CV, pick any for your choice, and people ask for AA support, does that mean you drop a fighter squad over them or are they asking nearby ships to help out?

Dumbest of the dumb questions I know but last night I was trying and well tbh failing to support a DD in ranked and got roundly flamed for it, any helpful advice would be welcome.

Many thanks.

Well in my old RST days:

1) Spot for the DD and team (DD more so)

2) fighters over him

3) Sink the enemy DD

So in this rework be the eyes for your DD.  You+Him doing damage to enemy DD infront of him tips the balance right from the start.  If the enemy runs? Great grab the cap.

Air support just might mean being his eyes or give him some good warning whats infront of him. Knowledge is power and the DD can then makes his next move knowing whats going on and where things are.

Nothing makes your friendly DD grow some balls more than to see friendly planes flying over him and spotting.

There are draw backs tho....

• Cool 1

[AAO]
Players
1,546 posts
20,647 battles
19 minutes ago, NoobySkooby said:

people ask for AA support, does that mean you drop a fighter squad over them or are they asking nearby ships to help out?

Depends on the situation.
Is there a CA/CL or high AA BB nearby that could quickly close in and lend their flak to the mix ?

Is the guy asking a DD pushing for a cap (or other position) and probably hoping for a nearby cruiser to tag along ?

In any case you can assume that the guy making the request is hoping for all the help he can get, weather to grant fighters is your prerogative.

[-AP-]
Players
2,496 posts
6,082 battles
14 minutes ago, L0V3_and_PE4CE said:

Fighters are mostly useless anyways outside of ranked so just ignore the requests

NO. JUST No. 

Never say yes to anything unless you intend to go through with it. 

There's not much carriers can do to protect surface ships, but if you say yes when someone asks for air support, that player will play as if he's now safe from air. 

There's nothing more annoying than telling everyone to push somewhere together, everyone says "wilco", you start pushing, and no one follows you. 

Stop lying in chat, please everyone. 

There is a "no"  command, use it if you cant/won't comply with a request. 

• Cool 2

[BHSFL]
Players
3,412 posts

Right now in ranked i ask my own team to give each other AA cover, and not scatter or race off unprotected so the enemy CV can pick them off one by one.

The (few) matches where players agree go well......the matches where they do not listen (majority)  i have little influence on wether they live or die.

You will know enemy CV players remove your fighter consumables by dropping their own next to them. These engage each other, and insta-unprotect the pinata ( DD ) that was under it making that a futile effort. With your fighter consumable now on CD there is nothing you can do for that ally but watch how it is toasted. If these friendlies are close to the CV i might press F to bring another squadrons fighter consumable but if they run off in the distance out on their own....well they die like the noobs they are because i can't reac them in time anyway. It is usually the first sign of defeat, mere minutes into the match.

I tried playing Ranked with 50 % of my time trying to protect my allies......that failed miserably because enemy CV either remove your consumbale,  fly purposely into it when they can get a kill ( it will cost them 3-4 aircraft ) or enemey ships shoot it down . So i am back to leaving them to their own merits, will drop a fighter if i am passing them by on my way to an attack but generally race the enemy CV in damage. That is what WG seems to want.

• Cool 2

[XTREM]
Players
3,634 posts
10,854 battles
Vor 27 Minuten, thiextar sagte:

NO. JUST No. 

Never say yes to anything unless you intend to go through with it. 

There's not much carriers can do to protect surface ships, but if you say yes when someone asks for air support, that player will play as if he's now safe from air. 

There's nothing more annoying than telling everyone to push somewhere together, everyone says "wilco", you start pushing, and no one follows you. 

Stop lying in chat, please everyone. 

There is a "no"  command, use it if you cant/won't comply with a request. 

You know what awaits you if you say no right?

You get spammed. You hear the voice commands over and over and over and over and over and over.

You get called the C word. You get called all the insults. Your stats will be shamed. You will recieve messages full of hate in port. Your karma sinks by -11.

But if you say yes and the player dies regardless of you trying to give support or not supporting he will be so stressed out with the overwhelming onslaught he wont even notice you not providing support.

I usually throw in a "I'm sorry i really tried >_<" while getting a double strike on the other side of the map.

• Funny 2
  • Bad 2

[-AP-]
Players
2,496 posts
6,082 battles
6 minutes ago, L0V3_and_PE4CE said:

You get spammed. You hear the voice commands over and over and over and over and over and over.

You get called the C word. You get called all the insults. Your stats will be shamed. You will recieve messages full of hate in port. Your karma sinks by -11.

But if you say yes and the player dies regardless of you trying to give support or not supporting he will be so stressed out with the overwhelming onslaught he wont even notice you not providing support.

I usually throw in a "I'm sorry i really tried >_<" while getting a double strike on the other side of the map.

By doing that you might aswell actively be trying to kill your teammates. Honestly that should count as team killing. 

• Funny 1

[GW_KR]
Players
215 posts
12,000 battles

Cvs fighter cover is weak at best. 

The best Aa cover for a dd is a cruiser, but whenever I am in a cruiser I try to tell the dd about the range of my aircover. I play a lot of us an rn cruisers so the aa is substantial! But most of the time they burn off towards the cap at full speed leaving me trailing juuust outside of cover distance. 

When I am in a dd I go 3/4 speed and make sure I am covered if there are 2 cvs in the game (2+2). 

So IF you call for aa support please note that the cv cannot protect you really from enemy air!! And for the love of god try and make sure you can benefit from offered aa cover!! 5 km range of the nearest cruiser and you have aa cover plus your own. 

So no! You as a cv cannot protect your dds only help them as redcap pointed out above....

Players
3,220 posts
11 hours ago, L0V3_and_PE4CE said:

Lol yes you did but I have been asleep since then, ranked or randoms nor the pure hatred of CV's by DD players shows out, where you get flamed even if you do try to help, getting quite a bit dis inclined to actually help DD's which is not how it should be at all but I understand you reasoning.

[BPC]
Players
124 posts
5,148 battles
3 hours ago, NoobySkooby said:

Lol yes you did but I have been asleep since then, ranked or randoms nor the pure hatred of CV's by DD players shows out, where you get flamed even if you do try to help, getting quite a bit dis inclined to actually help DD's which is not how it should be at all but I understand you reasoning.

i even had a ranked game in which i had put a fighter above a GK over 70% of the game and he still complained that i was afk and had not given any aa cover. told him to get a new set of glasses and use the minimap.

[CROTZ]
Beta Tester
1,196 posts
8,163 battles

How do you do?

If one presses the fighter request button gently, one may receive more fighter support compared to the one pressing the key more firmly.

One shall always be friendly or one shall not receive sky goodies.

Happy WoWs everyone :)

[NWP]
Beta Tester, Players
2,160 posts
6,474 battles
16 hours ago, L0V3_and_PE4CE said:

This tells a lot about your character.

Players
3,277 posts
19,066 battles
17 hours ago, NoobySkooby said:

Many thanks.

Ask them back: "what AA support?" according to WG, team play with CVs is too complicated for the playerbase...

[YJKG]
Players
488 posts
21,544 battles
17 hours ago, NoobySkooby said:

Many thanks.

Just ignore the surface peasants and go on with damage farming, why should you stop doing that when that's all they intend to do to preserve their star in the likely event that half the team suicides like ***s, like the Montana who broadsided a Kremlin at 15km and got instantly deleted... or the Moskva who turned broadside into a torpedo spread that had been spotted 10km away.... You'll get flamed anyway because the non-human surface trash only sees you as a spotting plane anyway. I can only recommend not indulging them and just playing for yourself like they do since teamwork has been dead for a few months... if not years now.

• Cool 2

[XTREM]
Players
3,634 posts
10,854 battles
Vor 1 Stunde, Blixies sagte:

This tells a lot about your character.

You only know about the character i play in this forum.

And you will never know anything else.

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Beta Tester, Players
2,160 posts
6,474 battles
17 minutes ago, L0V3_and_PE4CE said:

You only know about the character i play in this forum.

And you will never know anything else.

Are you implying I want to know more about your "real character"?
Get over yourself.

[XTREM]
Players
3,634 posts
10,854 battles
Vor 4 Minuten, Blixies sagte:

Are you implying I want to know more about your "real character"?
Get over yourself.

You are wishing i was implying something like that ☆

However @NoobySkooby

CV play at the moment will just get more taxing on your nerves.

@Sub_Octavian

Confirmed on reddit that WG is working on fixing AA consistency in the context of AA being to weak in certain situations which means we will get even stronger AA in the future.

So CV play will be literally hell since right as it is now you get max 2 attack runs off at t10 if you are lucky. If AA gets even stronger you will get one attack run off while needing to use the rest of your planes as Health sponges to even reach a certain target.

Don't bother with CVs to much right now and wait for the balancing to reach a more finished state. You will only be frustrated after every patch if nerf after nerf happens.

• Cool 1

Players
3,220 posts
4 hours ago, L0V3_and_PE4CE said:

However @NoobySkooby

@Sub_Octavian

Confirmed on reddit that WG is working on fixing AA consistency in the context of AA being to weak in certain situations which means we will get even stronger AA in the future.

So CV play will be literally hell since right as it is now you get max 2 attack runs off at t10 if you are lucky. If AA gets even stronger you will get one attack run off while needing to use the rest of your planes as Health sponges to even reach a certain target.

Don't bother with CVs to much right now and wait for the balancing to reach a more finished state. You will only be frustrated after every patch if nerf after nerf happens.

Ok just need more buddies for divs then in my DD's and BB's,

[KAKE]
Players
2,521 posts
5,980 battles

TBH, WG should either make fighters independently controllable from the active squadron, or just remove the "provide AA cover" quick message.

[BHSFL]
Players
3,412 posts
4 hours ago, L0V3_and_PE4CE said:

However @NoobySkooby

@Sub_Octavian

If you read what you yourself have posted then you understand this :  "in the context of AA being to weak in certain situations" which in itself does not mean CV get nerfed to the extend it cannot perform decent anymore.

He might even mean the situation late game where many ships do not have a single AA gun left, as all their modules were wrecked in the battle. Seeying such ships you wonder if they accidently hit the "P" button and have become utterly defenceless. ( cannot escape destruction by aircraft )