You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Leo_Apollo11

Reaching my usual goal of Ranked #10 in current 12th season...

31 comments in this topic

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,401 posts
15,361 battles

Hi all,

As usual when Tier X was in question I took out my good old "Yamato"... and, as always, she didn't disappoint... :Smile_honoring:

I was able to reach my goal in just 6 battles (1 defeat and 5 victories):

Rt4A3BO.jpg

12th Ranked season observations:

• my very 1st game and only defeat had 4 rentals" in my team - it was "Epicenter" and they all died like clueless flies in first few minutes (when I did just 35K damage in "Yamato" you know how fast the game was over)
  • in 3 out of 6 games (all victories) there was CV in game - both sides were competent enough and although CV played significant role in battle it wasn't the "decisive" (i.e. ship that exclusively brought victory to the team) ship in any of those 3 wins
  • in 2 games there were 0 destroyers present (and incidentally there were no CVs present as well) - those games with BBs and CLs/CAs were very interesting
  • 5 games (1 defeat and 4 victories) ended very quickly and there was just 1 "nailbiter" that was see-saw till the very end

PQgemWq.jpg

Z94QMgA.jpg

aEa2g8V.jpg

A8NeFQq.jpg

Fj7TopC.jpg

Conclusion:

My biggest complain about 12th Ranked season is the introduction of the so-called "rental" ships! :Smile-angry:

After I had my first game and defeat (with 4 "rentals" in my team) I told myself "Oh boy... this one will be the worst one ever" - but luckily I had "rental" ships in only that one losing battle...

Enemy had them in all 5 of the rest (that I won) and they were the very first ones we concentrated on - I saw just 1 (one) competent player in "rental" ship (it was the "nailbiter above).

Rental ships are clueless in almost all cases... rushing forward and dying at the start of the game... not knowing the tactics and strategy needed to play such Tier X ship... :Smile_amazed:

I simply loved having "rental" BBs and CLs/CAs showing full broadside to my "Yamato" with "Legendary Module"... it was like shooting fish in the barrel... :Smile_great:

IMHO it is 100% unmitigated disaster of decision! :Smile_sad:

Leo "Apollo11"

• Cool 6
  • Funny 1

[XTREM]
Players
3,634 posts
10,854 battles

No complains towards CVs?

Sounds good.

I reached rank 6 after 38 battles in Midway with an 61% winrate and believe me when i tell you it's damn hard work.

Played a shima game and 2 Montana games too to relax and it's so much calmer to play those @_@

• Cool 2

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,401 posts
15,361 battles

Hi all,

10 minutes ago, L0V3_and_PE4CE said:

As always my only complaint when CVs are involved (bot new current ones and old RTS ones) is the skill discrepancy! :Smile_hiding:

If you have 30% WinRate CV (with overal 40% WInRate), 30K average damage in Tier X CV and 0.1. kills per game vs. "Purple Unicum" 60+% WinRate, 100.000+K average damage and 2 kills per game things are decided before the game even started... :Smile-angry:

Leo "Apollo11"

• Cool 3

[FLYD]
Players
1,364 posts
13,072 battles
11 minutes ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

Hi all,

As always my only complaint when CVs are involved (bot new current ones and old RTS ones) is the skill discrepancy! :Smile_hiding:

If you have 30% WinRate CV (with overal 40% WInRate), 30K average damage in Tier X CV and 0.1. kills per game vs. "Purple Unicum" 60+% WinRate, 100.000+K average damage and 2 kills per game things are decided before the game even started... :Smile-angry:

Leo "Apollo11"

Not per se.

Your Team can still royaly screw up. Had that multiple times , even if you dish out 160k Damage per game on average you can't fix stupid.

But still i  would imidiately agree that on the low to mid ranks cvs  are not the problem, it will come on higher ranks... where you simply can't afford one mistake as cv.

[H_FAN]
Players
2,568 posts
40,837 battles
1 hour ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

Conclusion:

My biggest complain about 12th Ranked season is the introduction of the so-called "rental" ships! :Smile-angry:

After I had my first game and defeat (with 4 "rentals" in my team) I told myself "Oh boy... this one will be the worst one ever" - but luckily I had "rental" ships in only that one losing battle...

Enemy had them in all 5 of the rest (that I won) and they were the very first ones we concentrated on - I saw just 1 (one) competent player in "rental" ship (it was the "nailbiter above).

Rental ships are clueless in almost all cases... rushing forward and dying at the start of the game... not knowing the tactics and strategy needed to play such Tier X ship... :Smile_amazed:

I simply loved having "rental" BBs and CLs/CAs showing full broadside to my "Yamato" with "Legendary Module"... it was like shooting fish in the barrel... :Smile_great:

Leo "Apollo11"

Snipped the relevant part that I want to adress:

While I may agree with you in principle, I think on the + side we must see the possibilty to learn ranked play somehow. Ranked sprint was a good idea. While I have roughly the same goals as you (R10-12) I usually wait a while before I play to see the Meta etc.

And the problem with rentals lies I think mainly at the beginning (for players at say R10 to R18). The number of players at R5 to R1 which are a problem due to rental ships in its own are probably nearly non-existent.

I doubt thet the persistent players with poor results are likely to hang in there. Not saying that these players do not exist but the numbers that are persistent and also can play just because that they have access to rental ships is small. The game has existed long enough that most veterans that wants to play ranked at T10 probably has one or many ships now.

And you can not train ranked in PVE. 

It is a difficult question. It is sad that there does not exist more ranked sprints. Preferably with a small number of steel at 1st and maybe 2 and 3. By small maybe 1000 for first and a few hundred for 2nd and 3 rd. 

• Cool 1

Players
2,005 posts
13,049 battles
19 minutes ago, Gnirf said:

Snipped the relevant part that I want to adress:

While I may agree with you in principle, I think on the + side we must see the possibilty to learn ranked play somehow. Ranked sprint was a good idea. While I have roughly the same goals as you (R10-12) I usually wait a while before I play to see the Meta etc.

And the problem with rentals lies I think mainly at the beginning (for players at say R10 to R18). The number of players at R5 to R1 which are a problem due to rental ships in its own are probably nearly non-existent.

I doubt thet the persistent players with poor results are likely to hang in there. Not saying that these players do not exist but the numbers that are persistent and also can play just because that they have access to rental ships is small. The game has existed long enough that most veterans that wants to play ranked at T10 probably has one or many ships now.

It is a difficult question. It is sad that there does not exist more ranked sprints. Preferably with a small number of steel at 1st and maybe 2 and 3. By small maybe 1000 for first and a few hundred for 2nd and 3 rd. 

Sprint should be run always at the time of CB season. For ppl without the TX capabilities so they would have something "competitive" to play at this time.

Beta Tester
725 posts
11,969 battles

My goal is to play Haku at irrevocable rank 12 for at least few battles.

Then I may get more serious, but as I am missing one weekend this ranked season, Rank1 is out of reach for me (no time to play 200 games).

Players
873 posts
9,931 battles

Yeah I got from 12 to 10 in 5 games. since then I've been trying out ships I don't own like Zao. I have it researched and have played it, but not in the last year. My Zao has a full set of modules and a 19 point Yamamoto as captain. 20 million credits is a big investment and I like the idea of getting to play these ships in ranked. 

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,401 posts
15,361 battles

Hi all,

1 hour ago, The_Reichtangle said:

Not per se.

Your Team can still royaly screw up. Had that multiple times , even if you dish out 160k Damage per game on average you can't fix stupid.

But still i  would imidiately agree that on the low to mid ranks cvs  are not the problem, it will come on higher ranks... where you simply can't afford one mistake as cv.

I wholeheartedly agree... the ability of a team to throw away a winning game is away a possibility due to "teammates"... :Smile_hiding:

But, still, if you have competent CV on your team and enemy has incompetent CV the "rule of the thumb" is that they will lose in more cases than they will win because the CV skill discrepancy carries mighty weight...

Leo "Apolo11"

[FAILS]
Players
516 posts
19,294 battles

For me, rank 10 is also ranking out. 9 battles starting from rank 18 (couldn't be bothered with playing arms race last season). Lost the first, then won the rest. 4 CV games, but CVs were not really an issue. We either had the better CV player or a big blob for AA and better shooting than the enemy team.

Ships played: Conqueror (loss), Moskva, Gearing, République, Z-52, Montana, Hindenburg, Zao, Des Moines (in that order). Just for variety.

So, ranked season over in one day, which is nice.

Edit: WG, stop giving out t10 rentals!

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,401 posts
15,361 battles

Hi all,

1 hour ago, Gnirf said:

I see your point and I also agree that "Ranked Sprint" is the best way to introduce the "Ranked" concept to all players! :Smile_great:

But I really really don't think that "Ranked" Tier X with "rental" ships is good way for players to "learn the ropes" in the first place... most of them will simple be "dead weight" and that is something noone wants in higly competitive environment (which "Ranked" certainly is)... :Smile_sad:

Leo "Apollo11"

[FLYD]
Players
1,364 posts
13,072 battles
2 minutes ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

Hi all,

I see your point and I also agree that "Ranked Sprint" is the best way to introduce the "Ranked" concept to all players! :Smile_great:

But I really really don't think that "Ranked" Tier X with "rental" ships is good way for players to "learn the ropes" in the first place... most of them will simple be "dead weight" and that is something noone wants in higly competitive environment (which "Ranked" certainly is)... :Smile_sad:

Leo "Apollo11"

+ 1 on that one. I simply do not have the Time to do constant do overs because a happy die quickly i just play for fun with my rental Kurfurst gets murdered within minutes of the Game start... Or to watch Rental Zao #174 detonate cause he turned for torpedo drops. 

Rentals are not a good way to introduce players to tier 10, random battles and co-op are. It's frustrating to such a high degree because you than get even bitched at for not doing litteraly everything and this just annoys players to an epic extend.

Players
3,130 posts
10,584 battles

10 will be my max again when I return from leave.

Gonna see what the ship trend Is and adjust accordingly. Yam would be a good pick with a lot of BBs around and camping ships. It's alright in CV games with a good AA spec holding its own (so much short range AA). BFT, ManAA with flag should be enough. Maybe fighter plane if really needed but spotter plane by default. See how it goes. The rebpluic was my first choice depending on how many IFHE ships I encounter. Des/Salam and Groz would be my picks for the rest.

[XTREM]
Players
3,634 posts
10,854 battles
Vor 27 Minuten, The_Reichtangle sagte:

image.thumb.png.0da359255a08c2808f61418a0cbc51c0.png

Well can't say i didn't try.... -.-

BIG OOF!

Ouch :(

[CZWSM]
[CZWSM]
Players
394 posts
19,257 battles

Rank 10 reached with Gearing in 3 won battles, the last one was against Midway, which was a little bit annoying... But rented ships are bigger problem :)

Players
3,220 posts
4 hours ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

Hi all,

As usual when Tier X was in question I took out my good old "Yamato"... and, as always, she didn't disappoint... :Smile_honoring:

I was able to reach my goal in just 6 battles (1 defeat and 5 victories):

Rt4A3BO.jpg

12th Ranked season observations:

• my very 1st game and only defeat had 4 rentals" in my team - it was "Epicenter" and they all died like clueless flies in first few minutes (when I did just 35K damage in "Yamato" you know how fast the game was over)
  • in 3 out of 6 games (all victories) there was CV in game - both sides were competent enough and although CV played significant role in battle it wasn't the "decisive" (i.e. ship that exclusively brought victory to the team) ship in any of those 3 wins
  • in 2 games there were 0 destroyers present (and incidentally there were no CVs present as well) - those games with BBs and CLs/CAs were very interesting
  • 5 games (1 defeat and 4 victories) ended very quickly and there was just 1 "nailbiter" that was see-saw till the very end

PQgemWq.jpg

Z94QMgA.jpg

aEa2g8V.jpg

A8NeFQq.jpg

Fj7TopC.jpg

Conclusion:

Leo "Apollo11"

Two points to raise here first of all what about the players who do have tier X ships but wish to try one which they do not have?

Second point, you can hardly blame the player if camo is not allowed that is WG's decision, not the players.

Cheeky third point, only a small percentage of the player base actually come on the forums, so those who don't won't care, and those that do an see all this new player hate, will probably go in ranked just to wind folk up:Smile_facepalm:

[RONIN]
Players
1,664 posts
8,589 battles
9 hours ago, L0V3_and_PE4CE said:

Sounds good.

I reached rank 6 after 38 battles in Midway with an 61% winrate and believe me when i tell you it's damn hard work.

Played a shima game and 2 Montana games too to relax and it's so much calmer to play those @_@

Lies everyone knows CVs are now idiot proof, see the manuals:

image.png.d4635dbad8d94815dcc23c9602475fdb.png

• Funny 3

[XTREM]
Players
3,634 posts
10,854 battles
Vor 43 Minuten, ___V_E_N_O_M___ sagte:

Lies everyone knows CVs are now idiot proof, see the manuals:

image.png.d4635dbad8d94815dcc23c9602475fdb.png

Well half of that DD manual is an explaination of how to not accidently press the "T" button in your own spawn after starting the game.... Also there is some information missing in that picture...

here is the original

PicsArt_05-31-07.16.59.png

• Funny 1

[RONIN]
Players
1,664 posts
8,589 battles
3 minutes ago, L0V3_and_PE4CE said:

Well half of that DD manual is an explaination of how to not accidently press the "T" button in your own spawn after starting the game.... Also there is some information missing in that picture...

here is the original

PicsArt_05-31-07.16.59.png

What does T do?

• Funny 1

[XTREM]
Players
3,634 posts
10,854 battles
Vor 1 Minute, ___V_E_N_O_M___ sagte:

What does T do?

T makes your engine sniffers put the wrong fuel in there setting them afire and then everyone can see a cloud where the damage occured. It's used by your teammates as cover.

• Funny 1

Players
2,005 posts
13,049 battles
5 minutes ago, ___V_E_N_O_M___ said:

What does T do?

T for honks or for stats, seen different explanation in a game chat.

The picture is missing the whole single page of  instruction on how to BB:Smile_trollface:

• Funny 1

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
2,090 posts
8,430 battles

On the subject of CV's, they have not been the end all harbingers of death as most people assumed (including me). SInce everyone knows that CV's are present in Ranked all the Cruisers are heavily AA specced and even some BB's, and everyone tend to blob up reducing the CV's effectiveness further.

Reached Ranked 9 pretty quickly by just spamming Wooster and supporting the occasional DD. So far one of the least stressful ranked seasons (biggest headache are the rentals).

[XTREM]
Players
3,634 posts
10,854 battles
Vor 3 Minuten, ollonborre sagte:

On the subject of CV's, they have not been the end all harbingers of death as most people assumed (including me). SInce everyone knows that CV's are present in Ranked all the Cruisers are heavily AA specced and even some BB's, and everyone tend to blob up reducing the CV's effectiveness further.

Reached Ranked 9 pretty quickly by just spamming Wooster and supporting the occasional DD. So far one of the least stressful ranked seasons (biggest headache are the rentals).

Least stressful?

I nearly quit half way because of how hard it is to play CV in ranked right now @_@

But then i remembered all the ☆ and ♡ and pulled through.

Rank 1 i'm coming!

[RONIN]
Players
1,664 posts
8,589 battles
18 minutes ago, L0V3_and_PE4CE said:

T makes your engine sniffers put the wrong fuel in there setting them afire and then everyone can see a cloud where the damage occured. It's used by your teammates as cover.

There was me thinking that pressing T was for TEA

• Funny 1