Sign in to follow this  
Myrmidon19

My New Spotting Aircraft

3 comments in this topic

[NORKS]
Players
91 posts

I've just attained my first tier 5 battleship the German Konig. I have acquired something called 'Spotting Aircraft'. According to the wikia (which someone directed me to in another thread big thanks) these are basically single unit reconnaissance aircraft. So if I'm reading/understanding correctly they give you 20% range to your main batteries when active, presumably they let you detect things from further away too though? It says that they are unarmed. Is this true? Are they able to defend themselves? Can they be engaged and shot down by enemy aircraft? Can they be used as an ad hoc emergency to absorb a bit of fighter fury to help my AA? I know it's only one plane but still...

Cheers

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
2,086 posts
8,425 battles

The spotting aircraft gives you +20% range as you say, and they give you an elevated view of the battlefield. This takes some getting used too but once you get the hang of it it becomes much easier to see enemies behind cover and hitting them. They don't help you detect anything really unless you sail close to an island and they fly on the other side of it.

They are completely unarmed, will get shot down by enemy fighters and will only drain 1 fighter from the enemy fighters (so in practice this does nothing as AA will target everything in its radius, meaning his attack aircraft are free regardless).

It is a useful plane though primarily for that elevated view. This will help you to more easily locate tracers from within smoke screens to counter fire and as I said hit targets hiding behind certain islands that otherwise would be mostly obscured.

[NORKS]
Players
91 posts
4 minutes ago, ollonborre said:

The spotting aircraft gives you +20% range as you say, and they give you an elevated view of the battlefield. This takes some getting used too but once you get the hang of it it becomes much easier to see enemies behind cover and hitting them. They don't help you detect anything really unless you sail close to an island and they fly on the other side of it.

They are completely unarmed, will get shot down by enemy fighters and will only drain 1 fighter from the enemy fighters (so in practice this does nothing as AA will target everything in its radius, meaning his attack aircraft are free regardless).

It is a useful plane though primarily for that elevated view. This will help you to more easily locate tracers from within smoke screens to counter fire and as I said hit targets hiding behind certain islands that otherwise would be mostly obscured.

Oh you mean it gives you a completely new kind of view in binocular view? I haven't tried yet... Hmm.

Sign in to follow this