You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Obsessive_Compulsive

Beta tester current state of the game. Shall I return.

25 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
62 posts
2,310 battles

Dear forum I last played at least 6 months ago and perhaps longer. I simply wish to know in your opinions is the game developing in a positive manner?

What signficant changes have been made in the last 6-12 months.( trawling the patch notes gave me scurvy)

I am considering re-installing and seek your input.

Thank you for any info you can provide in advance.

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[TTTX]
[TTTX]
Players
4,608 posts
8,081 battles

uh... there's been this little CV rework...

probably worth checking out - it certainly divides opinions, you might like it or you might hate it (or both at the same time I suppose)... only way to find out is to try^^

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
3 posts
4,676 battles

no

unless you enjoy whatever ship you choose being up-tiered by two pretty much every game. forget destroyers as they are carrier fodder.

You can have fun in tier 10 only as you wont be up-tiered every game you play. (this is where the keyboard warriors chime in with (( git gud)) but they are twats). Imagine your lovely t6 warspite 'pride of the navy' getting fired constantly and citted by the torpitz Bismark and every single ship that can possibly shoot at you . and set on fire every other round .. welcome to your tier six bb in a tier eight majority game .. not always but pretty much all the time. so in answer ..no i'd give it a miss mate

• Cool 1

[-TPF-]
Players
3,835 posts
15,840 battles
29 minutes ago, Obsessive_Compulsive said:

Dear forum I last played at least 6 months ago and perhaps longer. I simply wish to know in your opinions is the game developing in a positive manner?

Yes, it is.

29 minutes ago, Obsessive_Compulsive said:

What signficant changes have been made in the last 6-12 months.( trawling the patch notes gave me scurvy)

New CVs! Russian Battleships! Lots of Super Cruisers! You'd hardly recognise it as the same game!!

30 minutes ago, Obsessive_Compulsive said:

Well, why did you uninstall? If there was a particular bugbear, we can tell you whether it's still here....

• Boring 1

Players
570 posts

CVs are in pretty much every game. If the CV wants you dead, you are dead. CVs never run out of planes. Tiers 6 to 8 have become the no-fun-zone.

A fantasy line of Russian Battleships has arrived, and so have alot of premium IX "large cruisers" and more are coming.

If now or never there is even larger reason to free-exp tier IX techtree ships. GL taking that Ibuki vs Alaska or Azumo.

Latest patchnotes show a large number of IX & X ships entered to testing phase, so VIII matchmaking/gameplay is gonna be even more painful.

*edit

AA is a throw of the dice now. Dont rely on it too much.

Edited by Fatal_Ramses
  • Cool 2

[TAYTO]
Players
797 posts
8,240 battles
22 minutes ago, Fatal_Ramses said:

DOUBLE CVs are in pretty much every game. If the DOUBLE CVs wants you dead, you are dead. CVs never run out of planes. THEY CAN EVEN INVENT FIGHTERS OUT OF THIN AIR. Tiers 6 to 8 have become the no-fun-zone.

A fantasy line of Russian Battleships has arrived, and so have alot of premium IX "large cruisers" and more are coming.

If now or never there is even larger reason to free-exp tier IX techtree ships. GL taking that Ibuki vs Alaska or Azumo.

Latest patchnotes show a large number of IX & X ships entered to testing phase, so VIII matchmaking/gameplay is gonna be even more painful.

*edit

edited for reality

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

Beta Tester
62 posts
2,310 battles
39 minutes ago, Tyrendian89 said:

uh... there's been this little CV rework...

probably worth checking out - it certainly divides opinions, you might like it or you might hate it (or both at the same time I suppose)... only way to find out is to try^^

I did read a lot of complaints regarding DD's being harder to play now due to CV changes. Yes try it.. probably the only advice a person needs in retrospect. ty.

37 minutes ago, cheesefodder said:

no

unless you enjoy whatever ship you choose being up-tiered by two pretty much every game. forget destroyers as they are carrier fodder.

You can have fun in tier 10 only as you wont be up-tiered every game you play. (this is where the keyboard warriors chime in with (( git gud)) but they are twats). Imagine your lovely t6 warspite 'pride of the navy' getting fired constantly and citted by the torpitz Bismark and every single ship that can possibly shoot at you . and set on fire every other round .. welcome to your tier six bb in a tier eight majority game .. not always but pretty much all the time. so in answer ..no i'd give it a miss mate

thats fairly conclusive.

31 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

Well, why did you uninstall? If there was a particular bugbear, we can tell you whether it's still here....

I uninstalled for various reasons but there is nothing that stands out as significant gameplay wise.

25 minutes ago, Fatal_Ramses said:

CVs are in pretty much every game. If the CV wants you dead, you are dead. CVs never run out of planes. Tiers 6 to 8 have become the no-fun-zone.

*edit

Duly noted, ty

Thank you for all the responses. Its how I imagined it would be, mixed views but with some common themes. What I take from this is that low tier play might avoid most of the issues or indeed just play CV's and add to the salt.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

• Cool 3

[NWP]
Players
1,337 posts
10,002 battles
5 minutes ago, Obsessive_Compulsive said:

DD's being harder to play

It is harder but the major problem isn't the aircraft.

Radar !!

EDIT: It is still fun to play with DD

• Cool 2

[BAD-A]
[BAD-A]
Beta Tester
1,768 posts
18,774 battles
52 minutes ago, cheesefodder said:

no

^^Bit of an over reaction about Tier 8..... T6 BB can more than hold their own against T8 BB if played 'intelligently' ... yeah on CV but the +2 MM is more of an issue for Cruisers than DD/BB.....definite over reaction and requires a friendly gitgud buddy

1 hour ago, Obsessive_Compulsive said:

Carriers are broken, basically you pray that they A) are not in queue B) you only get one per team  C) that the CV's pick on someone else ..... other than that it's all 'fine' according to WarGaming... Welcome back matey

• Cool 1

[-AP-]
Players
2,506 posts
6,110 battles
1 hour ago, Obsessive_Compulsive said:

No.

This is the worst state the game has been in for over a year. Bad time to come back.

• Cool 1

[RONIN]
Players
1,665 posts
8,622 battles
2 hours ago, Obsessive_Compulsive said:

no, stay away til xmas 2030

• Funny 1

[TAYTO]
Players
797 posts
8,240 battles
3 hours ago, Obsessive_Compulsive said:

Don't waste your time, you'll only ruin your memories of a very different game.

DDs - WarGimmick re-invented radar which defies the laws of physics. Radar waves now travel through solid land mass thus rendering land mass invisible. Smoke is pretty worthless now. To many ships now have this physics bending "skill"
There are new torpedos on some DDs, they work against some classes, but some classes are invisible to those torpedos.

While not always insta-killed, DDs are mostly no fun to play and generally just a waste of time and electricity.

CVs - they're a clusterfuck of stupid on so many levels.

There is no cap on aircraft losses.
Aircraft can be instantly recalled to the CV if the CV players doesn't want to lose aircraft to AA.

While recalling the aircraft, those aircraft can instantly magic a fighter group out of nowhere to circle an area while spotting any ship in that area (aircraft now spot, not DDs or spoting aircraft) Due to another CV fubar, those aircraft that magic'd fighters from their asses can now be back on the area before the fighters disappear back to wherever they were magic'd from. And they reduce your health and will to play another game live at a farcical rate.

More often than not, there are 2 CVs per side...

CAs - well, just don't get excited about them. I have Atlanta with a dedicated AA spec 19 point captain. Last time out, against 2 CVs, I had 1 aircraft kill.
There's a new thing where you can pre-set which side of the ship you like AA to be concentrated on. Don't waste your time and electricity selecting this. It makes no difference at all.

BBs - I don't know enough about them to fairly comment. They're fun to burn, more fun to burn when adrenaline rushed, but generally they have a ridiculous heal skill which makes any damage you've done pretty much irrelevant.

Take up knitting instead. It's more productive and relaxing.
WarGimmick have fubared the game you knew into oblivion.

• Cool 2

Players
3,226 posts

No, no, and no, lol keep your sanity and play something else....

I am of course merely jesting, when it gets too much just have a break, I myself who is a gaming addict (burnt out in WoT's) and nearly so in here too, play this far too often, moderation is the key, just have to look harder for that key:Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1

[TOXIC]
Players
4,667 posts
11,790 battles
2 hours ago, DB2212 said:

CVs - they're a clusterfuck of stupid on so many levels.

Aircraft can be instantly recalled to the CV if the CV players doesn't want to lose aircraft to AA.

While recalling the aircraft, those aircraft can instantly magic a fighter group out of nowhere to circle an area while spotting any ship in that area (aircraft now spot, not DDs or spoting aircraft) Due to another CV fubar, those aircraft that magic'd fighters from their asses can now be back on the area before the fighters disappear back to wherever they were magic'd from. And they reduce your health and will to play another game live at a farcical rate.

More often than not, there are 2 CVs per side...

I can see that you don't play CVs (at all), but I wonder if you're actually playing WoWs? At t8 seeing 2 CVs per team is rare. At t10 seeing 2 CVs per team basically doesn't happen (can't remember the last time it happened). The low tiers might see more of them (as it was the case before rework as well).

Now, some other specific dumb less than accurate things you've said:

BS. You can "insta recall" planes, yes. If you do it within any AA of relevance, say bye-bye to these planes, though, none of them will get back to the ship. MAkes the tactic pretty damn counter-productive for reducing losses due to AA.

No hard cap. In return you get a small fraction of your pre-rework reserves that regenerate slowly when you have "free space" on deck. Rather than being able to take off with more planes, you are just forbidden from using all of them from the beginning of the match - in the same way a child can't waste their year's worth of allowance in the first week of January. This doesn't mean that their money is unlimited, though.

Due to another CV fubar, those aircraft that magic'd fighters from their asses can now be back on the area before the fighters disappear back to wherever they were magic'd from.

Highly unlikely considering the needed return time - but if the place the fighters spawned isn't in range of any real AA (they drop like flies otherwise) and the CV isn't too far, then it is indeed quite realistic to see another squadron arrive before the duration of fighters "dropped" by the first one runs out.

There's a new thing where you can pre-set which side of the ship you like AA to be concentrated on. Don't waste your time and electricity selecting this. It makes no difference at all.

...unless there are planes around, that is. In that case the difference between managing the sectors (well) or not becomes substantial on cruisers and game-changing on DDs. Can't vouch for BBs as I don't really play them but it seems that the time needed for a change is quite long for them, so getting this to work might be somewhat problematic, especially since manual AA that helps with this aspect is quite expensive at 4 points.

While not always insta-killed, DDs are mostly no fun to play and generally just a waste of time and electricity.

Unless you can play them, of course, and are able to adapt to the changes.

@Obsessive_Compulsive - this is an important thing (if you like DDs) so I'll take a break from bashing DB2212 and say a couple words about DDs in particular:

Getting spotted by planes:

- there are a lot of CVs now, meaning quite some planes

- however, the aerial concealment got buffed tremendously. What it means is that if DD AA is turned off, the planes need to be pretty much on top of you to see you

- before you celebrate, WG introduced the change to concealment instead of addressing the bigger problem: planes now have situational awareness, that is: they know when they are spotted. It means that a DD that goes solo won't be spotted easily but WILL be roughly located if planes get near - because the CV player will get the "something spots your squadron" icon. This prompts them to do a recon sweep of the edge of the front half-circle at the moment of icon's arrival. If there are no other ships to scare the planes off (or to make them think it was these ships that actually spotted them - many cruisers spot planes before being spotted as well), the DD will be found. Therefore, solo play in DDs isn't what it used to be

Torping with all the planes in the air:

- planes no longer spot torps. CV planes, scout/fighter planes, it doesn't matter - torps are invisible from air. This makes torping in CV matches significantly easier than it used to be pre-rework

Being hunted down by and shooting down planes:

- some DDs have decent AA and proper reinforced sector management (and def. AA management if your DD has it) can make for quite a pain in CV's [edited]. However, def. AA no longer makes for wide can't-hit-anything drops so DDs with def. AA are also easier to hit than they used to

- the main anti-DD weapon of most CVs, rocket planes, need quite some distance to properly line-up an attack. Combined with DD concealment, it means that rocket planes often find it very hard to nail a DD that knows how to dodge them because they need to start an attack before they see the DD. That's why it's common tactic to drop fighters on top of spotted DD (but fighters are very fragile to AA, even DDs with decent AA shred these reasonably quickly).

- beware of HE dive bombers (basically USN and Kaga) - they don't need so much space and they are more accurate than the RN "level bombers", making them the best anti-DD type of squadron... although this patch, I think, is meant to introduce changes to nerf that aspect of them; how it turns out - we'll see.

- you won't be blown up by a cross-drop anymore (because torps deal pitiful damage, are dropped few at a time, are quite slow and the CV controlls only one squadron at once); hunting down a DD is now easier (perfect cross drops weren't easy) but also more time consuming (giving you time to do something with that - unless you mess up or get detonated, you shouldn't die too quickly... unless El2aZer comes for you with HE dive bombers :Smile_veryhappy:

- all things said, you usually don't want to fight planes all on your own. Staying close enough to the teammates to be able to retreat towards them when you start getting too much CV attention is a good idea. You don't need to be glued to some AA cruiser but venturing too far can get painful quite easily

Tactical advice:

- as mentioned in the last point of the previous point (you know what I mean) you don't want to get too far from some of the friendlies with decent AA

- short-range torp loadouts are far from optimal now. You can't just roam as freely as you'd need to if you wanted to make the most of the "better but shorter" fish; you need the elasticity of torping from further away

- it's no longer worth it to try hard for a perma-flooding. You can flood both front and aft part of the enemy but flooding got nerfed to hell - it's a fire-level threat now

- you need to be a bit more conservative at the start of the game. CVs don't like blobs therefore many of them start the match by trying to hunt down DDs that rush to the caps first thing in the morning. If you do that, you end up far from allies (DDs are fast) and announcing your presence (due to capping indicator) - that's basically asking for trouble from a CV that might well have no other viable targets on the map. HOWEVER this part of my advice might be outdated - WG finally decided to introduce delay before the first launch (making the first 40 seconds of a match completely plane-free) and this... well, I thought it was supposed to go live this patch, but I can't find it in patch notes; might be an omission, hard to say... anyway, even if it appears, whether it makes immediate capping attempts viable again remains to be seen.

• Cool 3

[BOBS2]
[BOBS2]
Players
529 posts
17,931 battles
1 hour ago, eliastion said:

HOWEVER this part of my advice might be outdated - WG finally decided to introduce delay before the first launch (making the first 40 seconds of a match completely plane-free) and this... well, I thought it was supposed to go live this patch, but I can't find it in patch notes; might be an omission, hard to say... anyway, even if it appears, whether it makes immediate capping attempts viable again remains to be seen.

They decided against that method.

https://forum.worldofwarships.eu/topic/118699-changes-to-cv-in-084-and-after/

Preparation time influenced the battle as it was intended: later spotting allowed destroyers to reach the control areas undetected, which ensured active battle for other classes. 

However this change created a long waiting period for the aircraft carrier player without any actions to perform other than setting the ship's route. We want to preserve battle dynamics without excluding the aircraft carrier commander from the game for almost a minute. It has been decided not to introduce the preparation time for squadrons in the tested form, and to consider other options for influencing the aircraft's time of arrival to control areas:

• Move aircraft carriers' spawn points away from control areas;
  • Move other ships' spawn points closer to control areas;
  • Add the preparation time for planes in the beginning of battle, but no longer than 20 seconds;
  • Additional change to engine boost - planes will start with the engine boost depleted, which will not allow them to accelerate at the beginning of battle, but will make boosted maneuvers possible in the active phase of the battle.

The implementation of these points will make battles more active, without creating discomfort for players on aircraft carriers. We are not ready to report on the exact timing of the introduction of these changes, but we plan to do this around the autumn updates.

• Cool 1

[TOXIC]
Players
4,667 posts
11,790 battles
1 hour ago, Johmie said:

...seriously. This was such a simple thing to do, and instead they think up some gimmicky stuff for literally no reason beyond the fact that CVs would just need to wait at the start?... These first 40 seconds are spent by other classes on moving anyway. In fact, this might even make some "sea airports" realize that they are supposed to move and think about positioning as well...

Well, from the perspective of CV player I just hope they don't end up f*cking up the speed boost - starting with it depleted would be much more painful than having to deal with 40 seconds of inactivity at the beginning of the battle...

And from the perspective of a DD player I just don't see any of these alternatives really changing the situation in significant way.

Anyway, thx for bringing this up, I don't follow all the sources closely, I was sure the idea was still on the table.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
62 posts
2,310 battles

Interesting info and in my few games played last night at tier 3 in my DD I was a bit shocked to be hurt so easily by rockets from tier 4 CV''s and I did note that with AA off ( my default) I could almost dodge squadrons. I also noticed the flooding was nerfed and yes thus far DD play solo is less enjoyable.

I am glad I returned though it is still fun.

• Cool 3

[TOXIC]
Players
4,667 posts
11,790 battles
2 hours ago, Obsessive_Compulsive said:

Interesting info and in my few games played last night at tier 3 in my DD I was a bit shocked to be hurt so easily by rockets from tier 4 CV''s and I did note that with AA off ( my default) I could almost dodge squadrons. I also noticed the flooding was nerfed and yes thus far DD play solo is less enjoyable.

What I was writing about mostly applies to high and high-ish tiers - low tier CVs have a bit different strengths and weaknesses (they have less power, the planes are slower but the handling is overall more forgiving, including rocket planes not suffering - or at least not so much - from the long attack run with only minimal adjustments allowed).

But I don't really play low tiers lately so I can't say much about the meta there, be it while playing CVs or against them.

[CROTZ]
Beta Tester
1,196 posts
8,163 battles

Yes, there has been good progress on the AA rework IMHO, since patch 0.8.0

If you deinstall or reinstall would you be delighted to post screenshots here about the process?

Pictures make install or deinstall threads often more interesting.

Thank you very much.

image.png.0792021e04914410749266fc1026d2a0.png

23 hours ago, Obsessive_Compulsive said:

[-TPF-]
Players
3,835 posts
15,840 battles
4 hours ago, Obsessive_Compulsive said:

Glad to hear it. The game is still lots of fun. If you're playing a Tier III DD then turn your AA off - it doesn't do much, anyway - and laugh at the CVs which try so hard to find you, only to deliver a devastating strike of one (1) torpedo, which is slower than you are. You can just hit Full Astern and giggle as it sails past you in the manner of a depressed paddle boat on a municipal boating lake. 

[TAYTO]
Players
797 posts
8,240 battles
20 hours ago, eliastion said:

I can see that you don't play CVs (at all), but I wonder if you're actually playing WoWs? At t8 seeing 2 CVs per team is rare. At t10 seeing 2 CVs per team basically doesn't happen (can't remember the last time it happened). The low tiers might see more of them (as it was the case before rework as well).

Now, some other specific dumb less than accurate things you've said:

BS. You can "insta recall" planes, yes. If you do it within any AA of relevance, say bye-bye to these planes, though, none of them will get back to the ship. MAkes the tactic pretty damn counter-productive for reducing losses due to AA.

No hard cap. In return you get a small fraction of your pre-rework reserves that regenerate slowly when you have "free space" on deck. Rather than being able to take off with more planes, you are just forbidden from using all of them from the beginning of the match - in the same way a child can't waste their year's worth of allowance in the first week of January. This doesn't mean that their money is unlimited, though.

Highly unlikely considering the needed return time - but if the place the fighters spawned isn't in range of any real AA (they drop like flies otherwise) and the CV isn't too far, then it is indeed quite realistic to see another squadron arrive before the duration of fighters "dropped" by the first one runs out.

...unless there are planes around, that is. In that case the difference between managing the sectors (well) or not becomes substantial on cruisers and game-changing on DDs. Can't vouch for BBs as I don't really play them but it seems that the time needed for a change is quite long for them, so getting this to work might be somewhat problematic, especially since manual AA that helps with this aspect is quite expensive at 4 points.

Unless you can play them, of course, and are able to adapt to the changes.

@Obsessive_Compulsive - this is an important thing (if you like DDs) so I'll take a break from bashing DB2212 and say a couple words about DDs in particular:

While I'm delighted that you've taken a break from "bashing" me, I'd like you to take a step back and read the guff you posted while you imagine a new and low tier player reading this page.

There is so much stupidity involved with the whole carrier play that's it farcical.
You can do X if this happens, but if Y happens you need to do this. But then Z happens and it's something else again.

Seriously, this game is nothing like it was 6 or 7 months ago. While it's great that T9 and T10 apparently don't see that many CVs, it's only a matter of a short time until they become as prevalent at higher tiers as they are at low.

And then WarGimmick will introduce something more mind-bogglinly stupid that everyone laps it up instead of saying "whoa, that's more stupid than the last stupid thing you introduced"

To refer back to lower tiers with their excess of CVs, there are T3 (possibly T4) ships with no AA defense. Absolutely nothing.

Explain to us, and them, how they deal with double CVs please.

[BOATX]
Beta Tester
5,172 posts
23,731 battles
On 5/30/2019 at 12:09 AM, thiextar said:

No.

This is the worst state the game has been in for over a year. Bad time to come back.

No. There was an even worse time, and was also CV related - when CV s did not have mirrored MM. 

• Cool 1