You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Saltface

Here we go again. How to Grozovoi in the upcoming Ranked

44 comments in this topic

[NWP]
Players
1,331 posts
9,813 battles

Hello All,

I will bring my Grozovoi in the next Ranked Season. Why? Because I need the steel to get me a Black. I have no other way of obtaining steel as my clan is not participating in Clan Battles. And no, I will not change Clan.

The Grozovoi is the only Destroyer I like from the T10 Destroyers in my port and the one with more battles for that matter. Well, I also like the Khabarovsk but I have only 5 matches with her, so I guess she will not be considered. I dislike the Gearing and have zero battles in the Simakaze. I could free XP my way up to another T10 Destroyer but I don't think it will be productive. I do have my eyes on Daring and Harugumo but ... I am on a mission LOL to get me a Black.

Any tips, guidelines, advise, do's and don'ts - well anything helpful will be greatly appreciated.

Attached the stats sheet of the Grozovoi and her set-up. Maybe you can identify flaws in my performance with her and my last battle. I will also post my last battle with her for review. The last battle was played with the intention to be posted for review. In this respect, I tried to play as good as I can. Some strategic mistakes I have identified. (one is the very bad timing of the smoke when preparing to fight the Montana - I thought she would charge in B)

I would really appreciate if you could rip the battle apart and identify my mistakes.

Looking forward to your critique and advise

Regards

Saltface

Spoiler

groz1.thumb.png.e0d925b6fbb01518d516f9ea3eb4dbcb.png

groz2.png.db39c4db67f0db16a460d400814ba6a1.png

groz3.png.5e3cb90c4c7f9733329b18082d25d757.png

groz4.thumb.png.090b01a5b76e612eceb018a0e8bc7dd5.png

20190528_111754_PRSD210-Grozovoy-pr-40N_19_OC_prey.wowsreplay

• Cool 3

[FLYD]
Players
1,350 posts
13,055 battles

With the looming CV's in Ranked Grozovoi is the best choice indeed.

• Cool 1

[TTTX]
[TTTX]
Players
4,608 posts
8,081 battles

bit early to speculate about how to play Ranked when we dont know how the meta will shake out this time...

More or less the same caveats apply as they do in randoms: dont overcommit to a cap and die, dont go solo anywhere if a CV is in play, be mindful of your spotting power (with smokes and such - much less relevant if a CV is in play^^), get used to the usual radar spots on a given map (helps to keep them in mind even when you dont see the enemy ships yet), analyse team lineups at the start...

As for build - get Last Stand. ASAP. You are a much more important part of the team in Ranked, you simply cannot afford to die because you dont have that skill. I would probably recommend also making sure you have Survivability Expert for ranked (with a little bit of Elite/Free XP to boost the captain to 16 if necessary so you could keep BFT if you like), those extra HP are really useful especially coupled with your heal :Smile_Default:

• Cool 4

Beta Tester
3,268 posts
14,049 battles
15 minutes ago, The_Reichtangle said:

While the Daring has been suggested because of its short smokes, these are actually often not lasting long enough to get the cap, if the CV wants you. 

I think torpedo-build-smoke-Yueyang could be a way to go, as the smokes are a bit longer lasting and the torps have a lot of utility. 

Grozo has the heal and the AA, but is also much easier to hit than a YY. Don't know which is actually better. 

• Cool 1

[NMA]
Players
1,221 posts
18,461 battles

I would suggest last stand and survivablitly expert for your grozo captain.

• Cool 1

Players
2,581 posts
18,704 battles

Actually my last surface ship match ever that convinced me to go full CV main for now was in my beloved Grozovoi. I was unable to do anything remotely usefully due to a Midway harrasing me constantly. Sure I shot down planes. But my options were completely nullified by the constant plane spam. I was even close to a blob.

I'm not sure it is a valid pick for ranked mate. When I see one in my CV I usually trigger it to use Def AA and fly off and return to it once it's def AA wears off. Once that happened a few good HE hits will cripple it usually.

• Cool 1

Players
340 posts
612 battles
Vor 48 Minuten, Saltface sagte:

Any tips, guidelines, advise, do's and don'ts - well anything helpful will be greatly appreciated.

Bring 2 Kamikazes and surprise the enemy :Smile_izmena:

2b more serious:

Like mentioned before last stand is mandatory (for me on every DD i drive in every mode).

Flag your ship up in the early ranks to gain some more captain exp and gain SE asap too like Ty mentioned before.

(I use ranks always to grind free Exp, Captains Exp and credits not using flags that would benefit the outcome of the result much besides deto-flag, but don't tell that to my teammates ^^. rank 1 is only a question of time, grinding the other stuff without any negative outcome to my random results is why I play ranks besides getting stee and free flagsl)

Key - like in every game - is to survive. Don't die for caps, don't die for spotting. Only die as sacrifice for the win late game.

How meta develops in this one we will see in the first games and threads poppin' up when ranked starts. Then you could adjust your acting.

• Cool 1

Players
984 posts
20,295 battles

Hm. Good luck to anyone who plays DD if i am not completly wrong and they are less CV that i expect. 

With CV: play extremly carefully, stay near other ships. Only cap with smokes ready and be aware of radar positions. Or shortly: have very little fun and expect exhausting gameplay.

• Cool 3

[FLYD]
Players
1,350 posts
13,055 battles
40 minutes ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

While the Daring has been suggested because of its short smokes, these are actually often not lasting long enough to get the cap, if the CV wants you. 

I think torpedo-build-smoke-Yueyang could be a way to go, as the smokes are a bit longer lasting and the torps have a lot of utility. 

Grozo has the heal and the AA, but is also much easier to hit than a YY. Don't know which is actually better. 

Personally as a CV it makes little diffrence i hit them all equal, clear point for Groz and daring due to heal, yue yang lays deep in the water and is hard to hit for Surface combatants...

Seems this time arround dds and cas are good choices as i can see that star saving bb's will be... food....

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Players
1,331 posts
9,813 battles
1 hour ago, hellhound666 said:

all prem consumables for sure

check

1 hour ago, Tyrendian89 said:

As for build - get Last Stand. ASAP.

1 hour ago, I_m_just_lucky said:

Like mentioned before last stand is mandatory

1 hour ago, quickr said:

I would suggest last stand and survivablitly expert for your grozo captain.

groz4.png.791bba42c8213362ecfbde738d6ceffe.png

1 hour ago, Tyrendian89 said:

making sure you have Survivability Expert for ranked

1 hour ago, I_m_just_lucky said:

and gain SE asap

Free XP signals on all ships I play, and, Commander XP signals on all 19pt Commanders I play. I ll grind the remaining and use some of the XP I have.

Maybe I will use my Leningrad Captain, he is 19pt. But I have him with Khabarovsk specialization and I d rather keep it that way. It is costly to change all the time.

Thank you all for your help.

Kind reminder to review the battle (well I m a persistent bugger)

Regards

Saltface

[SM0KE]
Players
5,405 posts
13,256 battles

FWIW this is the captain build I run on Groz at the moment:

image.png.c0a2ef8c8c65643f0c17902beca63718.png

That's not to say it's 'right', but there are worse starting points. First ten points were the 'standard DD' build, followed (I think) by SI and BFT, AR, and PM.

With all the planes around at the moment, Groz is one of those ships where being able to jump straight to 16 points is really nice, as you very much want both of SI (for the extra heal especially, not to mention DefAA) and BFT - I think I took a better captain from a lower tier ship to do this initially...

In terms of modules and whatnot, I've gone quite heavily towards AA ones - it does gimp you somewhat against surface targets, but it makes you rather less appetising for an average CV driver (a good CV driver will still take you to the cleaners regardless, of course).

• Cool 2

[CR33D]
[CR33D]
Players
2,747 posts
26,498 battles

Wonder if DDs with longer range torps, like Gearing and Shima would be more useful as they would be forced to play closer to their team if there is a CV. 

[NWP]
Players
1,331 posts
9,813 battles
1 hour ago, fumtu said:

Wonder if DDs with longer range torps, like Gearing and Shima would be more useful as they would be forced to play closer to their team if there is a CV. 

The thought is correct. And I love stealth torping. I learnt how to play DD with a Kamikaze. However, I have 0 games on Shima and Gearing didn't uhmmm... how should I say, I didn't feel good with her. I don't play her well. So, I guess I m stuck with the Grozovoi. Once I get the steel I need I ll drop ranked. I need 50 steel. I have the coupon for 25% and 10,450 steel.

[SM0KE]
Players
5,405 posts
13,256 battles
2 hours ago, belalugosisdead said:

Hm. I use AFT on Groso for the range. Also Si. Maybe BFT is possible too. Nur would never skipp AFT with the Russian Guns. 

The main reason I avoid AFT on Groz is that the spotting distance (when firing) goes up, and I struggle to hit much at extreme ranges anyway. But that's just me.

1 hour ago, fumtu said:

I'll be taking Gearing too; although it lacks Groz's heal, its AA is pretty decent, and the reach of the torps is very nice if you're dealing with a radar-heavy environment (which Groz isn't as good at)...

• Cool 2

[NWP]
Players
1,331 posts
9,813 battles
3 hours ago, Verblonde said:

I'll be taking Gearing too; although it lacks Groz's heal, its AA is pretty decent, and the reach of the torps is very nice if you're dealing with a radar-heavy environment (which Groz isn't as good at)...

True. The torpedoes are rather good for radar heavy environment. Grozovoi needs to go close to torp. But I am under the feeling that Grozovoi is a Cruiser killer with her guns. 

The feeling I have is that Grozovoi is to be played at distance and with her guns more than her torps. She has a big detection radius. If she plays like a pure DD everything will detect her first. But the truth of the story is I don't play well in Gearing. And I don't have the time to learn that ship now. I only wish it was T9. I love the Fletcher.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,868 posts
11,510 battles
11 hours ago, Saltface said:

Hello All,

I will bring my Grozovoi in the next Ranked Season. Why? Because I need the steel to get me a Black. I have no other way of obtaining steel as my clan is not participating in Clan Battles. And no, I will not change Clan.

The Grozovoi is the only Destroyer I like from the T10 Destroyers in my port and the one with more battles for that matter. Well, I also like the Khabarovsk but I have only 5 matches with her, so I guess she will not be considered. I dislike the Gearing and have zero battles in the Simakaze. I could free XP my way up to another T10 Destroyer but I don't think it will be productive. I do have my eyes on Daring and Harugumo but ... I am on a mission LOL to get me a Black.

Attached the stats sheet of the Grozovoi and her set-up. Maybe you can identify flaws in my performance with her and my last battle. I will also post my last battle with her for review. The last battle was played with the intention to be posted for review. In this respect, I tried to play as good as I can. Some strategic mistakes I have identified. (one is the very bad timing of the smoke when preparing to fight the Montana - I thought she would charge in B)

I would really appreciate if you could rip the battle apart and identify my mistakes.

Looking forward to your critique and advise

Regards

Saltface

Reveal hidden contents

groz1.thumb.png.e0d925b6fbb01518d516f9ea3eb4dbcb.png

groz2.png.db39c4db67f0db16a460d400814ba6a1.png

groz3.png.5e3cb90c4c7f9733329b18082d25d757.png

groz4.thumb.png.090b01a5b76e612eceb018a0e8bc7dd5.png

20190528_111754_PRSD210-Grozovoy-pr-40N_19_OC_prey.wowsreplay

Good luck! You gonna need it. Expect a lot of good cv players in ranked that will grind the easy botes and then Groz can do jack sh*t about it.

[NWP]
Players
1,331 posts
9,813 battles
3 minutes ago, OldschoolGaming_YouTube said:

Good luck!

Thank you!

I ll try my best

[BHSFL]
Players
3,359 posts
22 hours ago, The_Reichtangle said:

But it is Tier X CV these DD will face, not the usual Tier VIII ones.....

Each DD will confess before it dies...there will be no ninja stealth torping.

[CZWSM]
[CZWSM]
Players
391 posts
19,125 battles

My build is focused on AA and guns... But in comparison with pre-CV rework is resulting planes damage and kill much lower :(

Bez názvu-1.jpg

• Cool 2

Players
60 posts
8,029 battles

Oh if you need only 50 steel you will get it with any ship, ranked starts to be moderate below rank 10 but true hardcore starts at 5 as people are already so good there that one person can no longer carry, everyone must do their share for the team to win and every single mistake is punished hard.

Damn I have to play some ranked ;)

Players
3,288 posts
14,054 battles

Am I the only 1 who think the Z-52 could actually be quite good??

Smoke charges are long enough for capping. Hydro to protect from torps. Torps are fast reloading to deter pushes. And it’s AA is ok all things considered.

[NWP]
Players
1,331 posts
9,813 battles
9 minutes ago, Bear_Necessities said:

Smoke charges are long enough for capping. Hydro to protect from torps. Torps are fast reloading to deter pushes. And it’s AA is ok all things considered.

It could be good. But, I don't have her. So, it would be dumb on my side to free XP my way to the Z and take her in random with no experience on her.

Players
340 posts
612 battles
Vor 4 Stunden, Bear_Necessities sagte:

Not sure yet. Choice will be between Z and Groz. Gotta grind both full lines though, but that’s 50 something games with the right flags and camo for the one it will be.:etc_hide_turtle:

Haru, Gear, Shim are there but all no serious options.

If one could take tier 9 into tier 10 ranks I‘d love to give Fletcher a try. Way more agile than those other stiff tier X ones.