You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Drasnighta

DDs are now so un-fun

88 comments in this topic

[SAVVY]
Players
252 posts
3,882 battles

God, I don't like to rant. But jeez, this new meta with CVs is so enraging at times.

I'll give an example to base my rant on.

I played a game in my Loyang (alt account) today where I'd planned for being uptiered against a T10 CV by equipping a full AA (short of the manual AA skill) captain/build on the Loyang, including modules/flag. Lo and behold, the wonders of T8 mm never failed to disappoint and of course I ended up being the only T8 (and the one of 2 DDs) in the game.

Bit of a receipe for disaster, especially as I'd taken the 6.7km "manly" Loyang torpedoes - bit of a stupid move in all honesty.

It only took 2 squadrons from the CV to kill me, and I took no damage from other enemy ships. One of the CV rocket salvos did 5.5k damage to me.  I didn't shoot down a single plane, even though I triggered the AA defense as soon as the squadron was in range.

My sole contribution was a Solo cap...

What am I supposed to do (apart from "gitting gud")? It's so frustrating when you're dominated to the degree that you can't actually do anything in return - utterly helpless. I've been trying to grind up the German DD line and thinking about going for the RN line, but this CV rework has killed my desire to play destroyers (at least, the higher tier ones anyway - lower ranked CVs don't seem to be quite that good).

My honest opinion? I hate aircraft carriers with a passion (apologies in advance to any CV players out there). Wargaming really don't seem to be able to understand how to implement them, in any shape or form.

Anyway, rant over. I'll go and drink away my sorrows...

• Cool 11
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[POI--]
Players
1,145 posts
9,566 battles
1 minute ago, Drasnighta said:

no i don't want to have that

2 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

I played a game in my Loyang (alt account) today where I'd planned for being uptiered against a T10 CV by equipping a full AA (short of the manual AA skill) captain/build on the Loyang, including modules/flag. Lo and behold, the wonders of T8 mm never failed to disappoint and of course I ended up being the only T8 (and the one of 2 DDs) in the game.

aha ok ?

Bit of a receipe for disaster, especially as I'd taken the 6.7km "manly" Loyang torpedoes - bit of a stupid move in all honesty.

Your problem not the CV ones

It only took 2 squadrons from the CV to kill me, and I took no damage from other enemy ships. One of the CV rocket salvos did 5.5k damage to me.  I didn't shoot down a single plane, even though I triggered the AA defense as soon as the squadron was in range.

Gratz and now discover the "P" Button it will work wonders.

3 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

What am I supposed to do (apart from "gitting gud")? It's so frustrating when you're dominated to the degree that you can't actually do anything in return - utterly helpless. I've been trying to grind up the German DD line and thinking about going for the RN line, but this CV rework has killed my desire to play destroyers

DD's aRe UnPlAyAbLe

3 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

My honest opinion? I hate aircraft carriers with a passion (apologies in advance to any CV players out there).

Ok...? You are not the only one and the first one who writes a thread about it

• Cool 1
  • Boring 10
  • Bad 5

Players
1,619 posts
18,174 battles

I do understand your frustration, playing DD is still possible but in the current CV meta it's far from fun. 

Unfortunately whilst I can see why you want to express yourself this thread will probably get locked simply due to how many threads there have been expressing dissatisfaction with the rework,  but first expect a lot of indignation CV players to give you a piece of their mind. As such I would recommend trying to articulate your concerns with the state of CVs in the main CV rework thread. 

• Cool 9

Players
340 posts
612 battles
Vor 18 Minuten, Drasnighta sagte:

God, I don't like to rant. But jeez, this new meta with CVs is so enraging at times.

My sole contribution was a Solo cap...

What am I supposed to do (apart from "gitting gud")? It's so frustrating when you're dominated to the degree that you can't actually do anything in return - utterly helpless. I've been trying to grind up the German DD line and thinking about going for the RN line, but this CV rework has killed my desire to play destroyers (at least, the higher tier ones anyway - lower ranked CVs don't seem to be quite that good).

My honest opinion? I hate aircraft carriers with a passion (apologies in advance to any CV players out there). Wargaming really don't seem to be able to understand how to implement them, in any shape or form.

Anyway, rant over. I'll go and drink away my sorrows...

Not the core of your rant, but I prefer Lo still with hydro even in this meta. Taking away that from her is taking away her biggest strength.

Only difference to playing her compared to the old meta is to check where CVs focus is and not only where enemy radar is. 

Still manageable to contest bases but it needs more map awareness than before and this adapting will take it‘s time.

Torps - I prefer the long ones, but that‘s up to your style of play. I mostly avoid the need to drop within the range of the short ones.

Biggest problem with CVs isn’t the actual state but the actual frequency of meeting them. Historically there haven’t been as many matches as these days which is why there is some lack of experience how to play in such cases.

Give it some time or skip the DDs for your souls health. 

Besides: it’s only a game and cheers :etc_hide_turtle: 🍻 

• Cool 2

[SAVVY]
Players
252 posts
3,882 battles
47 minutes ago, Elypse201 said:

no i don't want to have that

You don't need to reply then ;)

48 minutes ago, Elypse201 said:

Your problem not the CV ones

Didn't blame the Cv for that.

49 minutes ago, Elypse201 said:

Gratz and now discover the "P" Button it will work wonders.

Very funny I'm sure.

50 minutes ago, Elypse201 said:

DD's aRe UnPlAyAbLe

Ok...? You are not the only one and the first one who writes a thread about it

They are essentially unplayable for a casual-learner DD player like myself. I make mistakes, but more often than not carriers punish me regardless of whether I've made a mistake or not. That's the difference between playing against any other class or CVs.

And in the future, honestly there's no need to reply unless you have something helpful to say.

38 minutes ago, I_m_just_lucky said:

Not the core of your rant, but I prefer Lo still with hydro even in this meta. Taking away that from her is taking away her biggest strength.

Only difference to playing her compared to the old meta is to check where CVs focus is and not only where enemy radar is. 

Still manageable to contest bases but it needs more map awareness than before and this adapting will take it‘s time.

Torps - I prefer the long ones, but that‘s up to your style of play. I mostly avoid the need to drop within the range of the short ones.

Biggest problem with CVs isn’t the actual state but the actual frequency of meeting them. Historically there haven’t been as many matches as these days which is why there is some lack of experience how to play in such cases.

Give it some time or skip the DDs for your souls health. 

Besides: it’s only a game and cheers :etc_hide_turtle: 🍻 

Yup, I do agree that Loyang is based around that Hydro - even after it for nerfed.

And thanks for the points, I may just give destroyers a wide berth until this mess gets sorted out.

[POI--]
Players
1,145 posts
9,566 battles
15 minutes ago, L0V3_and_PE4CE said:

Another one

Spoiler

569918476_anotherone.gif.bb3810d47811223cdb40934812645e57.gif

• Boring 2
  • Bad 1

Players
725 posts

In the last couple of weeks I've been seeing more and more battles with no DD's.

Before the carrier rework it was really rare to get no DD battles. Like about 1 in 100. Now it's about 1 in 8.

Players
2,169 posts

I gave up playing after the rework 8.0.

Everything I had learned over 2 & 1/2 years counted for nought... I came back last week for a few games in Gearing, Shimakaze, Chung Mu and I have to say the games were okay.. certainly better than immediately after the rework.

[BHSFL]
Players
3,405 posts
1 hour ago, Drasnighta said:

What am I supposed to do (apart from "gitting gud")?

Don't try to cap untill you have a formation of allies driving enemies away from the cap. Staying in your allies outer (heavy) AA will enable you to safely cap and probably unspotted aswell.

If you rush to a cap unsupported CV will find and damage/kill you.....No where is stated DD are supposed to rush to a cap to begin with, you can only get away with that if you stay invisible and you cannot expect that with CV in the match. And there is radar and hydro too ofc.

So you should not do that. ....Any ship can cap at any time, and a cap is useless if your side can't hold it ( local supriority) anyways.

I got -4 Karma in one match for leaving DD to their buisiness, hunting other prey.....until one popped up in my eager Graf Zeppelin 7,5 km secondaries field of view. So it got to the stage players - even DD players - complain about CV but they actualy want them to spot and kill DD and blame/flame them if they don't....

And although most DD are not really a threat to moving CV with decent secondary batteries, there are CV with very poor secondaries ( Enterprise ) or not secondaries at all ( Saipan ) so letting DD run rampant is not really always a choice.

• Cool 4
  • Bad 1

Players
3,220 posts

Oh I don't know (well that sums it up nicely, lol) Sometimes I have fun especially if divisioned u with someone that knows what they are doing, daft as it seems I usually turn off my AA, as messing with that and trying to dodge, hide , and keep out of spotting range etc is a bit too much for me, still love it though.

[CATS]
Players
26,175 posts
14,106 battles

I played two battles yesterday. There were completly unfun, because of braindead DD on my side. Only one game had CV in it, but they did not matter.

The first game was dominated by one enemy DD (6 kills), while my DD got killed the first two minutes, went AFK after half the match and the third one sailed around alone, thinking he could win alone. He failed miserably.

The second game had a three man DD division who went all for the middle cap on trap, without playing together and completly ignoring the enemy DD. Our CV did that too. Enemy DD had a field day. Enemy Maas got first place in a Tier VIII game...

Players
2,570 posts
11,389 battles
5 hours ago, Drasnighta said:

Very funny I'm sure.

No its not funny. Its an actual tactic. 2 things:

a) Your AA will give away your position much earlier than expected if it is turned on; and

b) CV can hit you in smoke base on your AA tracer.

Unless it really is inevitable (No smoke and CV dropped a fighter over you), you should switch your AA off to avoid being targeted. Turning on AA is like saying to the CV "I'm here, come and attack me". Make yourself a difficult target and the CV will most likely give up because time is damage. I've had CVs focus me but give up cause I make it extremely difficult for them to target me. So they go and fry other fishes instead.

• Cool 2

Players
4,012 posts
5 hours ago, Migantium_Mashum said:

I gave up playing after the rework 8.0.

Everything I had learned over 2 & 1/2 years counted for nought... I came back last week for a few games in Gearing, Shimakaze, Chung Mu and I have to say the games were okay.. certainly better than immediately after the rework.

I am happy for you. :)

I still can not find the motivation to play. Not because of the CVs, but mostly because I am unsure about my ship builds.

If skill distribution would be free (always) I would probably be trying out new builds .... but now I'm trapped in this .... twilight zone :)

• Cool 1

[ONE2]
Players
3,083 posts
21,178 battles

Well, I don't know abbouttiit.:cap_hmm:

After a long break from playing DD (because of CV rework). I tried again and played Kidd, T-61, Kiev, Acasta and Aigle last weekend. Sure enough with the exception of 1, every single game had a CV and most had 2 per team but it was still quite manageable (luckily no 3 CV games at all). I just stayed a little ahead of the rest (some 4km ahead of the closest AA Cruiser) and did my stupp, had my AA turned off most of the time and made sure to dodge away if I saw planes heading straight towards me. managed to do my job and also do some capping - Against all odds. Did take some occasional damage from rocket planes but nothing too serious. Got sunk once by an enemy DD and another time by their Cruisers, as is already customary so nothing special to report there. But overall it all went surprisingly well and I am quite happy with the outcome. Just have to be extra super-careful, stay close to AA support, not get carried away and it is still seems quite possible to play DD even with this amount of CV's around. :cap_like:

Beta Tester
3,285 posts
14,063 battles

In the end, it comes to a simple fact:

DDs have one thing going for them and that is concealment. 

CVs take that away. 

And then WG decided it was not enough already and made rocket planes really strong against DDs... :fish_palm:

• Cool 8

Players
2,844 posts
14,993 battles
4 minutes ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

In the end, it comes to a simple fact:

DDs have one thing going for them and that is concealment. 

CVs take that away. 

And then WG also decided to make rocket planes really strong against DDs... :fish_palm:

Are you implying that some choices made by WG in overall game design could be considered questionable?

:Smile_ohmy:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 7

[CR33D]
[CR33D]
Players
2,755 posts
26,578 battles

I had fun yesterday in Tachibana. No CVs, no radar .... T2 best tier for DD gameplay.

• Cool 1

[POP]
Players
598 posts
11,693 battles
10 hours ago, Beastofwar said:

Don't try to cap untill you have a formation of allies driving enemies away from the cap.

And if the reds have those kind of allies and greens don't? Fiddle your thumbs around? I can't even try to get torp angles on advancing enemies because, as you know, a lonely DD is an easy prey for the carrier.

The best way to adapt to that situation is to get a ship that remains efficient even in a situation where positional tactical  choices are limited. Ie. CVs or any other class than DDs.

Players
2,600 posts
18,774 battles
5 hours ago, pra3y said:

No its not funny. Its an actual tactic. 2 things:

a) Your AA will give away your position much earlier than expected if it is turned on; and

b) CV can hit you in smoke base on your AA tracer.

Unless it really is inevitable (No smoke and CV dropped a fighter over you), you should switch your AA off to avoid being targeted. Turning on AA is like saying to the CV "I'm here, come and attack me". Make yourself a difficult target and the CV will most likely give up because time is damage. I've had CVs focus me but give up cause I make it extremely difficult for them to target me. So they go and fry other fishes instead.

Myth in need of debunking. AA tracers are randomized when in smoke as far as I'm aware of. Main gun tracers are not, so to make sitting in smoke even more useless, don't fire your main guns if planes want to blind drop you. Great design. World class.

Players
44 posts
1,210 battles

I'm happy with my Yukikaze and like to play her even with CVs in the game.

I'm also doing better with her than any of my other ships thanks to the amazing torps.

• Cool 1

[FJAKA]
Players
2,975 posts
477 battles

i got myself La Terbble, and it is dd without smoke...and still i have fun in it....and have almost every game.

Fun is here, but impact on the game is much smaller.

but OP is talking about fun, so in my perspective, fun is still here

• Cool 1

Players
8,097 posts
8,914 battles
4 minutes ago, Yukikaze_AL said:

I'm happy with my Yukikaze and like to play her even with CVs in the game.

I'm also doing better with her than any of my other ships thanks to the amazing torps.

Same here. I find Yukikaze great fun, even with CVs around. Is it easy? No. Is it possible to still be successful? Certainly.